• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If yoshi's shield stands as a crappy shield under balance testing, then you could always balance it later.

Could add an additional frame to powershield stuff, or speed up his grab OoS as his primary option, speed times up for using the shield and dropping it. Little things like that could help

shanus

Smash Hero
its not that we can't modify actions out of his shield, thats easy

Its the distinct properties of his shield, a la shield poking as JCz highlighted, that I'm worried about

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well, I think we can all agree Yoshi needs a buff of some kind. Sure, he has DJC and Moonwalking but personally, these ATs don't benefit Yoshi as much as they do other characters who have them.

Also, with all due respect... Yoshi's shield is pretty bad. It has no out of shield options and the few benefits it does have (such as no shield stabbing) are subsided by his laggy animation when he stops shielding.

So, imo, he needs a regular shield.

Also, have you never noticed how slow Yoshi's roll is too? That should be sped up a bit aswell.
I thought we sped up Yoshi's shield drop to match the other characters. If not, I bet it's possible.

Another idea that was tossed around for Yoshi's shield back in the B+ days was to give his shield release a small windbox. It would sort of serve the same purpose as light-shielding, which, as I understand it, was very important to Melee Yoshi, so that he could escape shield pressure with his weak OOS options.

But yeah, he's not getting a regular shield, so start thinking outside the box.

shanus

Smash Hero
I thought we sped up Yoshi's shield drop to match the other characters. If not, I bet it's possible.

Another idea that was tossed around for Yoshi's shield back in the B+ days was to give his shield release a small windbox. It would sort of serve the same purpose as light-shielding, which, as I understand it, was very important to Melee Yoshi, so that he could escape shield pressure with his weak OOS options.

his shield-drop speed is sped up

Rikana

Smash Champion
Instead of buffing Yoshi's shield, we can always do something else about his gameplay to compensate for it; a character's weakness should remain. In ssb64, depending on the aerial you used for DJC, some L-canceled automatically (like how Ness' DJC uAir auto cancels while DJC nAir needs to be Lcanceled). Is there a way to program this? You can make it that the DJC shield break combo has to be frame perfect in order for it to work.

I don't play Yoshi in Melee or Brawl+ so I wouldn't know what's good or bad about him. I did play him extensively in ssb64 though.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Instead of buffing Yoshi's shield, we can always do something else about his gameplay to compensate for it; a character's weakness should remain. In ssb64, depending on the aerial you used for DJC, some L-canceled automatically (like how Ness' DJC uAir auto cancels while DJC nAir needs to be Lcanceled). Is there a way to program this? You can make it that the DJC shield break combo has to be frame perfect in order for it to work.

I don't play Yoshi in Melee or Brawl+ so I wouldn't know what's good or bad about him. I did play him extensively in ssb64 though.
That's not really a buff though. That just make him easier to use, not better.

Honestly, giving him the ability to jump out of shield wouldn't be a big deal. Yeah, he'd have the best shield in the game. And? It's Yoshi. I don't think he's going to go ****** tournaments with his amazing out of egg options. Seems people are jumping on the context of "best" a little too timidly.

Although, if he needed another buff, I'm sure there's alternatives. That's assuming he needs buffs in P:M.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Give him the ability to do his special attacks OoS. Neutral B makes some sense, it's like his grab, only sped up. (I'm assuming he can shieldgrab, honestly, I've forgotten). Side B makes sense, it's like his roll, but again, sped up. Up B isn't that weird...he picks up the egg and throws it away, lol. Yoshi Bomb (Down B) makes little sense, though.

It would still make his shield game slightly better, especially with some buffs to his Neutral B, which I feel is a move that could be made very useful.

/returns into lurking mode

I R MarF

Smash Ace

Oh, sorry i didn't know he couldn't get a regular shield. My bad.

But Yoshi's shield drop being sped up is good news.

D

Deleted member

Give yoshi his n64 fair and that's all the buffs he needs. that would be ****ing awesome
That would be pretty awesome... a near instant meteor. Could be balanced by making it very weak until higher percentages approaching 100 or so. That instant attack would work nicely with his DJC to combo.

Then he'd need a better down air :confused:

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
That would be pretty awesome... a near instant meteor. Could be balanced by making it very weak until higher percentages approaching 100 or so. That instant attack would work nicely with his DJC to combo.

Then he'd need a better down air :confused:
nothing made falco's dair(which is near instant) less powerful, so i don't think that should be the case for a n64 yoshi fair. But like mentioned before this is IF Yoshi needs a buff. I personally think he will though. Just because he was never that good in any smash games. The best he's been was i think around mid tier in n64.

Also with's yoshi disadvantage with up-b i think he needs some better off-stage game anyways. Maybe not though, his double jump is pretty beasty. lol

D

Deleted member

nothing made falco's dair(which is near instant) less powerful, so i don't think that should be the case for a n64 yoshi fair. But like mentioned before this is IF Yoshi needs a buff. I personally think he will though. Just because he was never that good in any smash games. The best he's been was i think around mid tier in n64.

Also with's yoshi disadvantage with up-b i think he needs some better off-stage game anyways. Maybe not though, his double jump is pretty beasty. lol
Yoshi has no solid approaches. That N64 fair will help to offer a bit more, but he's certainly got awesome combos though which fair only helps.

He can always go defensive and camp with eggs, but when approached, he can't rely on that shield (although I think he has the best or one of the best spotdodges based on frames iirc).

I'm not too familiar on this character, but I believe Yoshi's got some potential untapped. You devs should ask Marik to help y'all, because from what I saw, he plays Yoshi really well.

Edit : Pro Fair (not worth another post)

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi has no solid approach which that N64 fair can help to offer, but he's certainly got awesome combos though which fair only helps.

He can always go defensive and camp with eggs, but when approached, he can't rely on that shield (although I think he has the best or one of the best spotdodges based on frames iirc).

I'm not too familiar on this character, but I believe Yoshi's got some potential untapped. You devs should ask Marik to help y'all, because from what I saw, he plays Yoshi really well.
wait do u want yoshi n64 fair or are you against it? i honestly can't tell if you want it or are against it...

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
um I have a suggestion why not just make him be able to refresh his secondary jump after an egg roll? I know this wasn't able to be done by him in Melee but I think it would give him a better return option. Have it be like Ganons or Falcons to when they do downB they get their secondary jump back. I know its currently in B+ I just think it will help him a ton in this game. Again this is just a suggestion.

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
um I have a suggestion why not just make him be able to refresh his secondary jump after an egg roll? I know this wasn't able to be done by him in Melee but I think it would give him a better return option. Have it be like Ganons or Falcons to when they do downB they get their secondary jump back. I know its currently in B+ I just think it will help him a ton in this game. Again this is just a suggestion.
1. he goes into tumble after side b. so you can't jump even if u already had your jump. 2. There's no way that would help his recovery because when u do egg roll in mid air, by the time u can get out you're either already dead or on the very bottom of the screen.

It would be cool though if there actually was a way for it to work.

shanus

Smash Hero
1. he goes into tumble after side b. so you can't jump even if u already had your jump. 2. There's no way that would help his recovery because when u do egg roll in mid air, by the time u can get out you're either already dead or on the very bottom of the screen.

It would be cool though if there actually was a way for it to work.

go turn on B+ or project m and you'll see it works perfectly as is. from high recoveries you can jump side B jump again from making it go into action 73

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Shanus are u guys able to import/replace SFXs or can you only flip flop the sounds already in the Brawl ISO? and if so, how hard of a process is that?

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Also will be interesting to see Wolf, my brawl character, vs Falco, my melee character. Probs stick with Falco though.

BTW, I think you guys should like start at the top tier characters, and then work your way down.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Ah well if Mario isn't ready he's not ready I guess XD

In that case I guess Sonic and Olimar would be nice to know how they've work their way in, since they seem to be the least Melee-esq characters (And King DeDeDe) in Brawl.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
hell, he already seems like he belongs in the game. it's funny, really. the developers must've realized that they would be treading on sonic's ratio of good games vs. junk, so they slowed him down. then it caught wind to someone important, but ultimately incompetent.

uh, but yeah. sonic is looking vid-worthy to me.

Revven

FrankerZ
Shanus are u guys able to import/replace SFXs or can you only flip flop the sounds already in the Brawl ISO? and if so, how hard of a process is that?
I can answer this (in fact I believe I have answered this question dozen of times in this thread already).

They can change SFX (replace them with Melee SFX) if they wanted to. But here's the catch, you will need to use Riivolution to use them. Furthermore, it is a highly tedious process to make the SFX and then replace them, which isn't easy either. I believe I remember one of the devs saying that they would (at some point) make an optional texture and SFX replacement pack for those who wouldn't mind using Riivolution and for those who want them. Otherwise, they will (likely) not be apart of the main package.

This will be the last time I explain this.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I was wondering, were you guys planning to put back in Ganon's Side-B like it was in Melee? I'm asking because, now that I think about it... I really like his choke in this game. It sets up into a series of rather nice reads, especially if he's retaining more of his stuff from Melee.

I can't imagine how awesome he'd be here with it. Though, I'm not sure if it's meleeesque.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
I think he's retaining the choke. It is a nice move, and it gives him a bit of individuality from Falcon.

Interesting question, what is going to be done with DDD?

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to know that too. that's one of the few characters i haven't heard much about in P:M.

One thing though is that his down throw is for tech chasing now(or at least i think it is) because it sends people to the ground. He has an up-throw chain grab now on relatively heavy ppl now though. So he is still pretty beast with grabs. haha
I don't think D3 was worked on that much though so those things might change

Also Juushichi ganon's choke is most likely staying. it was one of his only good moves in brawl.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I actually wanted to chime in an idea for King Dedede. One problem I noticed with him is that he's too slow to compete, at least from the streams. Characters have no problems approaching his space. One idea I had was to use the idea they used for Brawl Minus, and give the Waddle Dee & Doos their own hit boxes. This would help prevent characters from basically entering in and out of his range at free will, and would force them to navigate around the Waddle's, setting up for other options.

I'm just throwing out random ideas here. Dedede seems like he needs work, but I could be mistaken here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom