• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
well that sucks <_>

anyway i'm wondering.. instead of showing like one match every 2 months would it be possible to get like one match a week? (from good melee vets like sneak)

cuz i watch the matches and i'm like =D

then it's over and i'm like D:
e.e
we have very limited free time (at least I do), so people expecting constant dojo updates or youtube matches,etc need to respect the fact that we have our own lives to worry about as well.

So the answer is simply put, matches and updates get put up solely dependent on people's free time.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
we have very limited free time (at least I do), so people expecting constant dojo updates or youtube matches,etc need to respect the fact that we have our own lives to worry about as well.

So the answer is simply put, matches and updates get put up solely dependent on people's free time.
well it's not like i'm saying "post 40 matches per day"
just like one a week =/
you have beta testers and i'm sure one of them could find the time to get a single match per week

matches take like 15 minutes with upload time. but i do understand that you people have lives =/ just a suggestion not an order..

Bandit

Smash Lord
well it's not like i'm saying "post 40 matches per day"
just like one a week =/
you have beta testers and i'm sure one of them could find the time to get a single match per week

matches take like 15 minutes with upload time. but i do understand that you people have lives =/ just a suggestion not an order..
First off, stop being a *****.

Second of all, there is usually one stream a week (my crew usually though others stream as well). Watch that and keep your pants on.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There are precious few (if any) characters that we could call "finished." We don't want to go around spreading something that may be completely different in a few months, or something rough and unpolished enough to give people who don't follow this thread closely a bad impression of Project M.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Last Saturday, I went to a tournament in Nashville and we ran a P:M tournament. We streamed most of the matches (tournament/friendlies) we did (cause we had 2 setups). We started mid day/early evening at least, and other than dinner, that stream didn't stop until 6 or 7am on Sunday. I kid you not. >_>

Dan_X

Smash Lord
U mad? All I could read was "trash trash trash".
Riiight...

@P00B

What Phantom Wings was working on was a clone engine. The way the clone engine was SUPPOSED to work (though he was never able to get far enough with it) was by tricking the game into thinking new character IDs exist. He'd need to have the new IDs attach to new attributes, and everything, as not to mess up other characters. It's a TON of work to do this. Definitely no walk in the park. He'd have to trick so many components of the game into recognizing the new character IDs, and attributes.

I believe it was Almas who released his own version of a "clone engine" however, it wasn't a true clone engine. The idea of a clone engine is to allow characters to be added to the game without replacing other characters. Though Almas's engine didn't replace other characters, per say, it made it impossible to make two versions of the same character fight. Basically, the way it worked was it allowed for each character slot to have a few .pacs for said character, putting each one into a different directory on the SD card. Say you wanted to play as Marth you'd select Marth as always, and it'd be fine. However, if you wanted to play Roy you'd have to hold some combination of buttons whilst selecting Marth and waala. The problem is both characters share the same character .pacs (Marth's), and said character .pac can only load once per match. This means that Roy vs Marth is impossible because it'd become either Roy vs Roy, or Marth vs Marth.

Chances are we will never see a true clone engine, though I'd like to be proven wrong. We'll just have to make do with what we have.

I R MarF

Smash Ace

I have TOO MUCH free time. Is there any way I can help?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Riiight...

@P00B

What Phantom Wings was working on was a clone engine. The way the clone engine was SUPPOSED to work (though he was never able to get far enough with it) was by tricking the game into thinking new character IDs exist. He'd need to have the new IDs attach to new attributes, and everything, as not to mess up other characters. It's a TON of work to do this. Definitely no walk in the park. He'd have to trick so many components of the game into recognizing the new character IDs, and attributes.

I believe it was Almas who released his own version of a "clone engine" however, it wasn't a true clone engine. The idea of a clone engine is to allow characters to be added to the game without replacing other characters. Though Almas's engine didn't replace other characters, per say, it made it impossible to make two versions of the same character fight. Basically, the way it worked was it allowed for each character slot to have a few .pacs for said character, putting each one into a different directory on the SD card. Say you wanted to play as Marth you'd select Marth as always, and it'd be fine. However, if you wanted to play Roy you'd have to hold some combination of buttons whilst selecting Marth and waala. The problem is both characters share the same character .pacs (Marth's), and said character .pac can only load once per match. This means that Roy vs Marth is impossible because it'd become either Roy vs Roy, or Marth vs Marth.

Chances are we will never see a true clone engine, though I'd like to be proven wrong. We'll just have to make do with what we have.
Hmm I wonder if it's possible to do it Almas's way, but replace any character you want on the fly instead of only a specific character. That way you could swap in the characters that the active players are using without losing any characters you don't want to lose.

Then again, I'm not a coder so this may be impossible.

We need more G.O.D. Videos.
YES! The new Duelist Pro character.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
hmm, the real problem right now is shared character .pacs. Obviously we here at PM are very much open to the inclusion of new characters--- however, we are only willing to include them in a professional manner. As such, it has to seem legit, the new characters have to have their own selectable icons, they can't share pacs with another character, and it can't be buggy. As Almas's engine is now, it currently does not facilitate this sort of functionality.

Few hackers are capable of creating a clone engine, among them I'd say Phantom Wings has the best chance, however I believe he's moved on from Brawl. This isn't to say that other hackers aren't capable of such, but from what I've seen, Phantom Wings is the most likely hacker capable of cooking up a true clone engine.

In the end it's really just a matter of wishful thinking. Who knows what will come. If we do get a fully functional clone engine I wouldn't be surprised if PW added the fallen 5-- in some form. Time will tell.

pwned-by-the-poob

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I wonder if it's possible to do it Almas's way, but replace any character you want on the fly instead of only a specific character. That way you could swap in the characters that the active players are using without losing any characters you don't want to lose.

Then again, I'm not a coder so this may be impossible.
Umm, I'm pretty sure i said that first... lol

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
too bad you can just implement the Wire frames from Melee sure they had no special moves but they could do alot more than Brawls alloys. After playing Melee recently I noticed that their Wireframes can grab ledges and hold items.

humble

Smash Ace
The best bet is to replace the alloys. You can model swap, PSA, brawlbox, so they will have animations, movesets, textures, etc. The problems with the alloys can be fixed with some clever coding (for instance, they have made alloys capable of grabbing and using shields, whereas previously it was unheard of)

A clone engine is not being made, and will not be made. If we want the fallen five, we can't rely on a theoretical clone engine for them, as it won't ever come.

MacKellarTeam1

Smash Cadet
FD is already looking very similar to the melee rendition and battlefield has had its size increased to be more like melee

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
^aesthetic changes or actual model hacks?
FD was changed aesthetically, but I think the ledges were improved too. Battlefield has been visibly widened while retaining relatively close horizontal KO zones. Just check out a stream any time they play it.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Battlefield actually needs to be shortened. Falco isn't able to phantasm cancel like he can in Melee.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
are you sure hand? I know falco, fox, and wolf can do it in B+ atleast. Even though I know P:M is supposed to be a different game than B+ they should still be able to do it. The timing due to buffering might make it off though and also the type of tv you play on.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Well, you can phantasm cancel, but not in the same situations as in Melee. On BF/PS you can run off the ledge, immediately phantasm, and it will cancel on the other one. I haven't been able to recreate this.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
why are u guys asking all these obvious questions??

ofcourse ledge sweetspotting and auto snapping are not going to stay....this is Melee we are talking about here >>

most of this stuff has already been taken care of in B+....why the hell would P:M bring them back?

jalued

Smash Lord
why are u guys asking all these obvious questions??

ofcourse ledge sweetspotting and auto snapping are not going to stay....this is Melee we are talking about here >>

most of this stuff has already been taken care of in B+....why the hell would P:M bring them back?
no no, i was asking because to the best of my knowledge, no one has worked out how to stop it auto sweetspotting if hit.

Revven

FrankerZ
no no, i was asking because to the best of my knowledge, no one has worked out how to stop it auto sweetspotting if hit.
Um, yes, people have, go play B+. P:M is just using outdated B+ .pacs that don't have the fixes yet. It's a low priority.

Bandit

Smash Lord
It's not a proper fix though. I still manage to see sweetspots during hit in B+ every now and then.
thank you ZooBoo

an honest response, rather than just patronizing *coughfalco400cough*

I noticed in the P:M stream that sometimes it would auto-snap when hit, so thats why i asked
You both have no idea.

Brawl+ didn't remove EVERY situation of sweet spot on hit. Go back through and search in the Brawl+ thread. They discussed how it was unnecessary on some moves. While most were removed, it is still possible to have it happen.

Besides, Falco400 is trying to tell you, from the backroom, that they don't care about it right now. Priorities are getting landing detection and character physics & move sets to melee form. Everything else is secondary.

It was an honest response, and you should be grateful he even responded.

jalued

Smash Lord
You both have no idea.

Brawl+ didn't remove EVERY situation of sweet spot on hit. Go back through and search in the Brawl+ thread. They discussed how it was unnecessary on some moves. While most were removed, it is still possible to have it happen.

Besides, Falco400 is trying to tell you, from the backroom, that they don't care about it right now. Priorities are getting landing detection and character physics & move sets to melee form. Everything else is secondary.

It was an honest response, and you should be grateful he even responded.
Fair enough

shanus

Smash Hero
Most situations should work, the only chars that should be noticable on stream are Fox, Falco, and Wolf because I didn't set their hitlag to zero to prevent the autosnap.

Clear winner answer: No-one should post unless they actually know the answer. So, Falco400 is wrong (completely, I programmed half or more of them for B+ and redid it for PM as well) and so is GHNeko. So yeah, listen to PM developers!

Turazrok

Smash Master
Everytime I check this thread out I feel like the human race is devolving.

On the flip side the streams looked good. Keep up the good work, it looks really promising.

troll

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Hopefully i can get my recording set up by next week when i get paid. I was gonna this week but i gotta pay for no johns plus apex. When i do there will be streams with melee vets all the time. Be patient.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
^and what about Dacus :D ?
Brawl's frictions are universally higher than Melee's. Many DACUS rely on this low friction to be effective. Since we've increased the friction, many DACUS travel around half their old length but can still be used effectively. It's not something we tried to remove intentionally but without friction modifications everyone has a luigi WD and slides around, feeling loose.

For some characters this could possibly be corrected by increasing the distance they travel on the first frame of their dash attack.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
um shanus you do know when you set the return command to 0 the characters will end up like lucario theyll hit the ledge and die if they try to aim for it. I'm just saying if it happens to lucario who knows who else it might screw up.

an example:
from fitmanx00 on the kc-mm forums
0C090100. Parameter 1 (Value) make it 2
This event decides whether the character can grab a ledge or not.
0=Can't
1=Can
2=Can grab at any time
I do however have trust in shanus and really looking forward to this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom