• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Wrath`

Smash Master
You'd be pushing your luck if you wanted to fire a -1 accuracy Thunder/Fire Blast/ Focus Miss/Stone Edge. But are there any pokemon that could abuse this?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Secret Power, on the other hand, loses usefulness, but can still - at the very least - force a switch with enough Accuracy drops... I guess.
Secret Power was never good. You're better off running something that would deal good damage while giving a chance of lowering accuracy, if anything.

You'd be pushing your luck if you wanted to fire a -1 accuracy Thunder/Fire Miss/ Focus Miss/Stone Miss. But are there any pokemon that could abuse this?
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Wrath`

Smash Master
If Secret Power lowers accuracy now and a pokemon with a 70 accuracy move eats that Secret Power, it will think twice about using it as it will drop to 60(65?)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm not quite sure what you mean.
It means that it may very well be successful at forcing a switch.

My opponent uses Secret Power, and the 30% Accuracy drop occurs. My dilemma is this: do I go with Stone Edge or Focus Blast and risk missing with their already low accuracy lowed further, possibly miss, and get severely punished with allowing them a potential for multiple turns of setup? Or do I switch to try to restore my Accuracy and try to halt them with some other Pokémon.

Think about it, Terywj, with Secret Power's distribution range being bananas, that allows Serene Gracers to abuse it, like Togekiss. The former may find Air Slash more useful, but 60% Accuracy drop chances isn't something to take lightly.

EDIT: turns out Secret Power lost its status as a TM in Black/White. However, its distribution is still high by extension in Gen IV, whilst being available to some in Gen V via breeding.

Also, on your comment on Secret Power never having been good: are you serious?! It had 70 base power with a 30% chance of paralysis! It's basically Body Slam for those who can't learn Body Slam. On top of that, Normal-types get STAB for it, turning it into a 105 base power attack, which is nothing to sneer at. Now that it has become an Accuracy-lowering move, it can be used as a pseudo-haze option... though I'd still prefer paralysis.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
so why do you like pkmn

is sound like pikmin
I like Pokémon fror many reasons. Here goes:

- Collecting: I'm a collection w****. Pokémon fulfills this with a myriad of creatures to capture and raise. The fact that Pokémon raised are different from others, even from those of the same species (PID says "hi") gives them a sense of being yours personally. Then the nicknaming only further solidifies this.
- RPG: I'm an RPG fanboy. Whether it's Final Fantasy, Terranigma, Jeanne D'arc, or whatever. Pokémon takes that aspect and really jacks it threefold. Being able to raise a slew of characters (the Pokémon, in this case), make a party of six of any of them and then test them against your friends characters?! Yes please! Just when you thought Bahamut Lagoon or Final Fantasy Tactics were extreme in character availability, Pokémon has 649 (as of B/W) of them!
- Strategy: Pokémon is full of complex strategies and mechanics. For what it is, it's extremely competitive. One move, one misplaced switch, one mistake can mean the difference between winning and losing. It's very intense. I laugh at those who down and sneer at Pokémon, thinking the games to be "simple and for little kids". Little do they know the ignorance of such a viewpoint, as Pokémon is more complex and technical than any RPG before it and since. The fact that Nintendo holds tournaments where the world championship prize consists of paid vacations to places like Hawaii, New York or even Tokyo should be a sign of just how serious and hardcore a "children's game" can really be.

That's basically it. There are other reasons, but those three are definitely the most prominent ones. I don't care if I'm in my 50s years down the road: if Pokémon is still around, you can bet your a** I'll be there - middle aged - still playing them. XD

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok, so I'm trying to make a team with Ditto just to see how his new ability works. Now, when it uses Eccentric, does it copy his foe's stat changes? Does this mean I could just change in front of a Jaroda who has a +6 SpA and get his stat changes?

And when another pokemon switches into Ditto and he's still transformed into Jaroda, does it end up getting out the transformation and turning into the new pokemon that came in?

EDIT:

Does Zoroark just choose a random member of your team or is there any way to set which team member he can take the shape of?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@Fuelbi: Eccentric works EXACTLY like Transform, so you copy the stat boosts as well. Eccentric will not activate again until Ditto switches, since at that point, it also copies the opponent's Ability as well. Remember, the ONLY thing Tranform does not copy is the HP stat, but will copy the foe's HP IV and EVs for the sake of Hidden Power. Hope that clears it up for you.

That said - though situational - Ditto can essentially become a Shedinja with 300 HP. XD

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So on PO I'm trying to put Heat Wave on Zapdos and for some reason it tells me I can't put it on while having Lightning Rod as an ability

Why not?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So on PO I'm trying to put Heat Wave on Zapdos and for some reason it tells me I can't put it on while having Lightning Rod as an ability

Why not?
Because Lightning Rod is its Dream World Ability and Heat Wave is a Gen 4 tutor move, meaning it's impossible for LR Zapdos to learn Heat Wave.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Ohhhhhhhh ok I get it.

I misread that as it being impossible just because it was gen 4

thanks
No problem.

Also, about your Zoroark question, I'm not exactly positive with its activation: some say it transforms into the Pokémon in the second slot of the party, while others say it transforms into the Pokémon that's placed after Zoroark. I guess the sources can't make up their minds. Who knows?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Second slot of the party is essentially the Pokemon placed after Zoroark when it's sent out.
Ahh, so that's how it works. With that, it makes Zoroark the ultimate mindgame Pokémon, as it can take the guise of any of your Pokémon when strategically switched. Not bad, really.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
When you hit with Psycho Shock, is the damage calculated by the SpDef or Def of the pokemon?

EDIT:

Is Psycho Shock even Physical or Special? PO says it's Special, but Serebii says it's Physical

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
When you hit with Psycho Shock, is the damage calculated by the SpDef or Def of the pokemon?

EDIT:

Is Psycho Shock even Physical or Special? PO says it's Special, but Serebii says it's Physical
Psycho Shock calculates damage from your Special Attack stat and the target's Defense stat.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Psycho Shock calculates damage from your Special Attack stat and the target's Defense stat.
I believe the reason they even made such a move (including a 100 BP version exclusive to Mewtwo) was because of Blissey's dominance in the VGC. Even though they allowed all Ubers (barring even Pokémon), Blissey became the "end all, be all" check for anything not named "Ho-oh" or "Groudon". The fact that even Mewtwo - the original Pokégod - was utterly walled by Blissey shows just how much of a "deux ex machina" Blissey can be.

M.K

Level 55

What pokemon is this?
That is not a Pokemon. What you see there is called a "fusion sprite". The creator took two Pokemon and fused them together into one sprite.

The Pokemon that the image you presented is made up of are:

Ambipom

and

Exeggutor

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
They are both lying to you and it is clearly a Exigoro.

It is a normal/grass type and its stats are
89/110/51/ 76/44/120.

It's main STAB attacks are Power Whip and Return.

It is used as a late game sweeper and is highly used in OU.

:p

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, I'm really bored and I'm making a sandstorm team. Can someone do me a favor and give me a list of pokemon or abilities that can benefit from sand? All the ones I can remember are Tyrannitar, Hippowdon, and Garchomp and I still need 3 other members

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Hey guys, I'm really bored and I'm making a sandstorm team. Can someone do me a favor and give me a list of pokemon or abilities that can benefit from sand? All the ones I can remember are Tyrannitar, Hippowdon, and Garchomp and I still need 3 other members
Sandslash, Gliscor, Garchomp, Dugtrio, and Cacturne have Sand Veil.

In Gen 5, there's Sand Throw and Sand Strength, but don't really know what gets it outside of the new Ground/Steel mole.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The only abilities changed by Sandstorm are Sand Veil, Sand Throw, and Sand Strength, discounting Sand Stream of course. I'm assuming you know the standard benefits of Sandstorm to begin with.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I was thinking of getting pokemon Black but I was a little disappointed when I found out you need two DSes to transfer old Pokemon and they make you play a mini game. Pal Park was lame, pokeshifter doesn't sound much better but how long does it take? I heard rare pokemon are harder to catch in the mini game and some people actually had to re-do it because they moved too quickly. Lol do they just suck? How long does it take and is it a hassle (I do have two DSes but if it takes too long forget it- i have like 13 boxes of lv 100 ev'd stuff)? Because if it is ill just pokesav everything from scratch on my black version... besides alot of pokemon may become outdated when dream world gets released. Hells no im not going through that trouble either. :N

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I've heard that Pokeshifting is actually quite quick; you can transfer as many as you want in a day, too; no 6-a-day limit. However, it is region locked; only Japanese 4th Generation games can transfer to a Japanese 5th Generation game. :/

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I've heard that Pokeshifting is actually quite quick; you can transfer as many as you want in a day, too; no 6-a-day limit. However, it is region locked; only Japanese 4th Generation games can transfer to a Japanese 5th Generation game. :/
oh ok, maybe its not as bad then. Thanks for answer. That's pretty sweet you can transfer as many as you want and makes it reasonable then. Region locked is lame as hell, good thing I didn't get japanese black.. I almost did.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Does anyone know of a great Nattorei lure?

As of right now all I've got is Slowbro and Tentacruel, but if anyone can give me something else that would maybe be better it'd be much appreciated.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know of a great Nattorei lure?

As of right now all I've got is Slowbro and Tentacruel, but if anyone can give me something else that would maybe be better it'd be much appreciated.
Slowbro can learn flamethrower.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Gyarados, maybe? Maybe Tyranitar. Burungeru?

Also Slowbro never runs Flamethrower.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
It is still possible, if someone just assumes that a poke won't run flamethrower, and switch in something 4x weak to it, thinking it was a safe switch in, they could still get hit by it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Why give Slowbro Flamethrower when you can not screw yourself over and get a Shanderaa?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Gyarados, maybe? Maybe Tyranitar. Burungeru?

Also Slowbro never runs Flamethrower.
I was originally running a Slowbro w/ Flamethrower, but it was pretty terrible. I'm about to try an SD HabanChomp w/ Fire Fang (it's the only move that OHKOs the *******). It very likely won't lure Nattorei immediately, but it could still lure it maybe. After it lures that Ditto. And if it doesn't then it's at least wrecking **** for a while. Plus I'm running a Tentacruel w/ HP Fire (I don't really need Spin support on the team) for more of a ****ty just-in-case sort of thing. I hope it works out.

If this doesn't work I'll probably try out Burungeru.

EDIT: Wow this team sucks. Nevermind. I'll just wait until they release tiers or some **** before I bother laddering again.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Coming from a breeder, honestly... B/W outdates everything to the point that you need to start over. I'm trading over my EV/IV breds, but I doubt they'll be useful.

Edit: oddly enough, I haven't cared for metagame until Smogon posts tiers either. Seems meh to me right now.

What's going to be fun, is breeding B/W teams and doing the small local tourneys around here. I came to the 4th gen scene when it was halfway done, but this time, it's fresh =D

Top Bottom