• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
on the other hand, you act like its amazing to be able to 2HKO Skarmory, that and you forgot that its a steel attack thats resisted PER HIT with 25 BP and only backed by 95 attk
Exactly, it SHOULDN'T be able to 2HKO it with that.

The closest thing I can think of that has those kind of stats is Kingdra. It's hard to attribute it's usage to it's stats when it has other things going for it (Great typing, workable moves, etc.).
Kindgra is king of the rain though >.>

And has better offensive typing.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Joe just doesn't understand theorymon, or really competitive Pokemon as a whole. He doesn't understand that a Pokemon with a 95 Base attack stat shouldn't be able to 2HKO the best physical wall in the game with a resisted 75 Base Power physical move move.

Do you even actually play competitively anymore? lol

JOE!

Smash Hero
the point is, it cant 1hko weaker mons either due to the whoel % spiel...

95 attk is lolz, the real damager is the % damage, which means he cant do more than 2hko unless he's boosted to hell (then anything can really). Then he has other things to worry about such as odd speed and scary weaknesses.

You also didnt touch on that he can have base 100 power Shockwave (autohit elec move)

JOE!

Smash Hero
Lol, I meant my fakemon.

While it could possibly 2hko Skarm with a physical attack, it also can only2HKo something like infernape who is tissue paper compared to skarm

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
For Shock Wave: No STAB means it's just a Nice way to hit Flyers and Waters, it's even sort of a Thunderbolt Trade off for Power over Para because Accuracy and Evasion are rarely factors in the metagame, and when they are, normally Grass resists or immunes are usually doing it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
there is also 150 (with stab) BP Dragon Pulse...same with iron Wave, and if I feel like a troll, Vaccum Wave is now a 100bp PRIORITY attack

essentially im just trying to find the right way to balane a pokemon made by the canonical humans who'd be (well versed in the "meta game") without it being stupidly powerful

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You also have 95 Offensive stats, which makes other Dragon Pulses stronger, Steel is a useless attacking type... and Vaccum Wave is Special Extremespeed with less priority I guess?

Essentially, you have one Potential God ability, and another potential OK ability.

JOE!

Smash Hero
how is Razor Edge better than Power Boost?

RE can wallbreak due to the % shenanigans, but at least PB can actually let him 1HKO

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
He can only 1HKO when he hits super effective with STAB moves. BTW, Dragon/Steel is terrible coverage.

Or alternatively he could have neither ability, and instead, have something like Technician and Adaptability for Fakemon using tools that actually exists :3

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Because Razor Edge allows it to tear gaping holes in anything, regardless of Defenses or Typing.

That ain't right.

JOE!

Smash Hero
well, that was the point of the ability: to allways do damage.

if anythign i could nerf it as so:

Remove Ripper

Nerf the % lost to 1/16th

Edit

derp, or I could cut out the problem and make each hit fo ripper have a 50% chance of continuation, cutting the potential down to only a 1/4th chance of all 3 hitting

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Or you could take my recommendation and give it Technician, Adaptability, and better stats.

Technician/Adaptability Multi-hit attacks aren't half-bad.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This thread is a discussion based off from a few questions, and is pretty stupid anyways.

IMO it should just like stop and Joe could spend this time to learn how to theorymon.

JOE!

Smash Hero
*sees the suggestion to give it existing abilities*

the only ability it has that is currently available is regeneration, the other two were to be unique to this mon..

and yeah i should move it to the SWFdex...

Also ulti, why do you insist to give it better stats, but "meh" abilities over meh stats and better abilities?

And also talk about how steel is a **** attack type, then be horrified by a steel-attack being good?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Because Resistances don't matter when set-damage attacks?

Seriously Joe, think a little bit before posting for once.

Also I really don't like it when people make Pokemon with two brand new abilities and like seven new attacks just for it. It makes it look too specialized, too legendary, it's not a average Pokemon at all because it has so many unique abilities and attacks.

Unless you're insisting this is an event legendary.

JOE!

Smash Hero
other things can get the attacks (only 2 of them are introduced), never said the attacks were unique to him, just the abilities.

and the % damage is attached to a steel attack that does "meh" damage per hit, backed by "meh" attk stat. And it's really the only issue here.

Say he uses Dragon Claw. It does more base damage, but then only has 1 application of Razor Edge...

Changing Ripper to a "chance of 3 hits" makes the liklihood of all 3 hitting down to 25%, which is a suitable nerf, no?

Further, there are plenty of pokes that can just go ahead and OHKO things like skarmory with a physical attack, or just sweep a whole team once a wall is gone. This pokemonc annot do that.

Sure, it can cut into a wall, but then thats all it can do is cut holes, it cant out-right destroy a guy.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'll ask you now.

What is your obsession with these abilities that make you feel your fakemon is dumb and worthless if you don't have them, and make sure you absolutely unquestionably justify that you need to have these abilities or else it does feel right? Even though, you know 99% of Pokemon DON'T have unique abilities. Hell, the only unique abilities I can think of now are Wonder Guard, Stall, Bad Dreams, TeraVoltage, TurboBlaze, and Air lock. Three of which are just copies of other abilities.

JOE!

Smash Hero
it has to do with the entire design of it:

It's a mon created by (man) to be an amazing battling pokemon. It has the excellent defense of steel, as well as the power of Dragon backing it, and as a man-made product it has become uniform (95 stats all-around) yet able to suit any trainer's needs (Attack/Special/Tank).

Since it'd man-made, it is fitting that it was created with specific abilities to help it's uses. With Razor Edge it has the bladed claws and joints. With Power Boost it has arms that look like energy-weapons. With Regeneration it has thricker, more wide-spread armor that, given time, repairs itself.

It wouldnt feel right to have the concept of a pokemon that goes througha genetic -> robotic shell ->Cyborg stage with multiple variations due to it's role (ability) if the abilities were somethign simple like technician or adaptability, which can be explained as the pokemon's talent. These abilities were manufactured onto this pokemon by people, and even change it's appearance to show the modifications.

Thats why I want the abilities for this mon in-tact, as well as the rounded stats and such in order to keep it in-line with it's background, but at the same time i dont want it rediculous...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Sorry, Nintendo has already ripped you off.

According to Pokedex translations, Genosect is a war Machine made by team plasma from genetically and technically modifying a Pokemon revived from a fossil.

Does it have anything special other than a big movepool and ONE exclusive attack?

Nope.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Sorry, Nintendo has already ripped you off.

According to Pokedex translations, Genosect is a war Machine made by team plasma from genetically and technically modifying a Pokemon revived from a fossil.

Does it have anything special other than a big movepool and ONE exclusive attack?

Nope.
well neat.

doesnt mean there cant be more than one tho :awesome:

seriously, lrn 2 art: everything has allready been done so anything you do is automatically a rip-off, elarn to accept it and you'll be happy.

Moving on, ill be putting this all in the SWF-Dex

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The point of the post wasn't that Nintendo already made it, it meant genetically engineered war machine Pokémon are not special in the least.

JOE!

Smash Hero
true, genosect is a war-machine, my fakemon (which i need to name :p ) is a consumer-mon, made for the average trainer

hell, you're supposed to BUY it in-game XD

MOVED ALL THINGS RELATED TO THE MON TO THE SWF-DEX

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
So i have an actual question.

What is the best mixed attacking pokemon in black/white that isn't genosect?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I assume you mean just Gen V Pokemon.

Actually, there's not that many, the only really viable ones I can see are Zoroark and Kyuremu before we drift off into Uberland.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
If Blaziken still had access to Vacuum Wave I'd say it's basically now better than Infernape, but without the priority I'm not sure if it'll be that easy for it. As of right now, the only thing I can really imagine it coming in on with ease is Tyranitar, but the problem with that is that Tyranitar will almost always be backed up by Doryuuzu. And Doryuuzu can outpace Blaziken even after two Speed Boosts, which even makes running Protect in the final slot a little complicated.

Giving Blaziken sun support might yield some pretty good results though. Boosted Fire Blasts/Flamethrowers and a lack of weather abusing sweepers? Yes ****ing please. It's just too bad that they had to put the Drought ability on a Pokemon as subpar-ish as Ninetales.

I think it'll be OU, but I'm not sure where exactly it will fit. I'm guessing around the middle, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower. Time will have to tell.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Ninetales does ok as a standalone sweeper though, honestly. It can run a SunnyBeam set, come in on a revenge kill, and opt to run either Hypnosis or Nasty Plot to further its sweeping potential.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Hey, not sure if this was asked before or not, but has it been confirmed if the Masuda Method will be present in Black/White? Few people think not, but I don't believe Nintendo/Game Freak will just up and remove a mechanic out of nowhere.

Top Bottom