• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'd like to post in the SWF dex with my own pokemon, but would someone teach me the way you're supposed to give pokemon stat spreads? That seems to be my problem
Same faction as how EV's are presented in sets and RMTs. HP / Atk / Def / Sp Atk / Sp Def / Spd

Get to it, Celebi. :p
If you can't come up with base stats there are people who will just create them for you.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Same faction as how EV's are presented in sets and RMTs. HP / Atk / Def / Sp Atk / Sp Def / Spd

Get to it, Celebi. :p
If you can't come up with base stats there are people who will just create them for you.
Read my previous post to see that. how the hell am I supposed to come up with base stats? I wanna feel more useful and make them myself, but I don't know how

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Flavoring comes to mind whenever you're making up base stats. What kind of Pokemon is it? Do certain attributes lean towards a certain style? Questions like those.

Typing is also another factor. Psychic-types generally have good Special Defense, whereas Rock-types aren't known for high base Speeds, etc.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Flavoring comes to mind whenever you're making up base stats. What kind of Pokemon is it? Do certain attributes lean towards a certain style? Questions like those.

Typing is also another factor. Psychic-types generally have good Special Defense, whereas Rock-types aren't known for high base Speeds, etc.
Right, but then I hear some bull**** about 700 bst and I have no idea what the hell you people are talking about.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So there's really no guideline at all at what limit by BSTs are supposed to be?
Nope. Just remember to stick with flavor and typing guidelines which are general. You're obviously not giving a Rock / Steel-type a base stat of 140, while that giant panda Pokemon with gloves will probably have a higher base Attack stat than Special Attack.

Technically, no. but don't give something that isn't Uber like 150 in every stat.
Or unless it's named Arceus's Older Brother.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Nope. Just remember to stick with flavor and typing guidelines which are general. You're obviously not giving a Rock / Steel-type a base stat of 140, while that giant panda Pokemon with gloves will probably have a higher base Attack stat than Special Attack.
Hmmm... ok I see

Btw, does it really matter anymore if I make a fire type anymore in the SWF-Dex? Or do you guys still want other types

Pokemon Trainer1

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering what happened when I was in the Underground. I dug up an Odd Keystone. I heard that they were unobtainable unless you get it from the guy west of Hearthome. But, now I have an extra Odd Keystone and I don't know what it does.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I have a question, is Brock the only black guy in Pokemon? >_> Noticed this recently. (Oh and Bruno?)

Wrath`

Smash Master
No racismims in my Pogeymanz.

What is a good counter for Tangrowth, I have been having problems latly with him, usually because they bring him in late game when my main Special Sweeper is gone.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Brock is white in HGSS... so.... I'm not even sure about that.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
No racismims in my Pogeymanz.

What is a good counter for Tangrowth, I have been having problems latly with him, usually because they bring him in late game when my main Special Sweeper is gone.
A special sweeper.

Arcanine and Blaziken also work. Venusaur with Sludge Bomb is probably the best counter, since he's immune to Leech Seed.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Hi, i need help EV training my Eevee (soon to be jolteon)
I want 255 in speed and 255 in SPA

I just recently hatched my Eevee (level1) and i was going to try to get 255 evs in SPA so i went to fight gastlies. I attached a power lense to my Eevee so i would get 5 evs every gastly kill.

My question is: After i kill 51 gastlies (5 ev each x 51 = 255 evs) and 51 magicarps (for speed) and lets say my aprox level is 40. Can i just level up my eevee to level 100 by fighting any pokemon i wish to fight?

Also i was a bit iffy while fighting gastlies because every time i leveld up i didnt get much of a stat boost.

If i have a level 5 eevee and i switch out to ho oh every gastly i see, and i end up killing 4 gastlies to level up (with power lense attached) i should get a spa boost of 5 in SPA right?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hi, i need help EV training my Eevee (soon to be jolteon)
I want 255 in speed and 255 in SPA
Technically, you can put 252 in both and still reach the same stats. You can then put the remaining 4 EVs into something like Defense or HP.

My question is: After i kill 51 gastlies (5 ev each x 51 = 255 evs) and 51 magicarps (for speed) and lets say my aprox level is 40. Can i just level up my eevee to level 100 by fighting any pokemon i wish to fight?
Yes. Rare Candies work too.

Also i was a bit iffy while fighting gastlies because every time i leveld up i didnt get much of a stat boost.
Don't worry; your stats will continue to increase until level 100.

If i have a level 5 eevee and i switch out to ho oh every gastly i see, and i end up killing 4 gastlies to level up (with power lense attached) i should get a spa boost of 5 in SPA right?
Yes. Shared experience is halved; shared EVs are given to all who gain experience, but is not halved. As such, you could just throw an Exp. Share on your Eevee and switch Ho-Oh to the front of your party.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I have a question about Lavender Town's original music.

How does it differ from the English RBY music? I was reading about it somewhere and I decided to ask my cousin to listen to it (Placebo effect on myself or something) at the same time with the RBY version and then listen to them separately. I don't know if he was messing with me (I didn't tell him anything about it beforehand, just to listen to it), but he told me that he got a headache and felt really irritated/uncomfortable.

Is this just BS, or is there actually some basis that the original Lavender Town music was really screwed up due to pitch/some other musical quality compared to the RBY English one?

rockem7

Smash Ace
I have a question about Lavender Town's original music.

How does it differ from the English RBY music? I was reading about it somewhere and I decided to ask my cousin to listen to it (Placebo effect on myself or something) at the same time with the RBY version and then listen to them separately. I don't know if he was messing with me (I didn't tell him anything about it beforehand, just to listen to it), but he told me that he got a headache and felt really irritated/uncomfortable.

Is this just BS, or is there actually some basis that the original Lavender Town music was really screwed up due to pitch/some other musical quality compared to the RBY English one?
We talked about this in the Snorlax room one time, and I'm pretty sure that there are two different versions because when I listened to the original, I also got a headache.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think the difference is that the original had repeated high-pitched notes throughout the song, which people pointed to as the source of weird stuff.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The original had one part of the song that was buggy and had this glitchy-high pitched part. I could hear it, but I didn't get any headaches.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Also, was there any proof for the three visual effects that was said to accompany the original tone? The ones in Pokemon Tower, which were iirc:

White Hand
Haunting?
Buried Alive model

Were those true, or is it still just rumor?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
As for the music, I listened to the original song and I didn't feel anything. I DID notice the difference though. It sounded a lot more bubbly to me for some reason XD

I'm pretty sure those are rumors. Why would GF put anything in one of their most successful games?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I just saw it. And I didn't know charmander linked it.

Also, was there any proof for the three visual effects that was said to accompany the original tone? The ones in Pokemon Tower, which were iirc:

White Hand
Haunting?
Buried Alive model

Were those true, or is it still just rumor?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
There's a question that I just remembered

Why is the ban list for the Battle Tower... wrong? I mean, it has Articuno banned. That bird sucks in actual competitive terms. I don't see why in the world Articuno would be banned

And why pokemon like Wobb and Garchomp are not :confused:

It's like they just banned every single legendary no matter how good they ACTUALLY are :/

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Because in-game, they only cared about Legendary value. Those Pokemon couldn't be used.

All other Pokemon would be viable as seen in-game. Unfortunately for us this meant Garchomp and Wobbuffet worked too.

Top Bottom