• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Gaming League Toronto- Brawl- 3 DAY EVENT- February 6th, 7th and 8th

Anth0ny

Smash Master
If there's an official member of PGL or something that would like to make their own thread, please do so. But considering there is nothing right now, and it's pretty close, I'm taking the liberty of making this thread.

Official Website

Schedule? I'm not sure if this is updated for Toronto, or if it is the same for every PGL event.

It says:

Friday

Halo 3 FFA

4:00pm Register I'm guessing this is for all events? We should have a smashfest on this day if there are no setups for us to play on at the venue...

5:00pm Start

Saturday

Halo 3: 10am 2v2 start

Halo 3: 2pm 4v4 Start

Guitar Hero III: 3pm Start

Smash Bros: 4pm Start

Sunday

Halo 3: 10am 2v2 Finals

Guitar Hero III: 12am Start

Halo 3: 1pm 4v4 Finals

Smash Bros: 3pm Start

Brawl singles: $30 (ouch)
Brawl Doubles: $30

1. All players are required to bring their own Wii Controllers or Gamecube Controllers. If the batteries die during play that player cannot pause the game but is responsible to replace them during gameplay.
2. All players and teams must tentatively make their matches, if players are not present the team must forfeit the games they miss in their allotted time slots.
3. Swearing and physical violence will not be tolerated. It will first result in warning, a second warning will result in a loss of forfeit of the game, a third will result in a ban from the tournament.
General rules:
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"
All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, and therefore you are given the option to put those stages in either category, as we did not come to a consensus on it.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Counter/Banned
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

Banned
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles

In conclusion, this could be pretty ****ing huge. Therefore, Mew2king, Azen, Ninja Link, this is the tournament to be at in Canada! Especially you M2K, you need to make up for not coming to OIN2.5. No killer snow storm/mom johns! :)

I know that Holy went to the PGL in Montreal...maybe you could fill us in a little bit? Is PGL any good lol?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I asked the guy for melee but he PLG didnt reply yet =(

can you ask them, for some reason i cant post anything .. :S

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Well, PGL Montreal left a pretty bad rep with us. They changed format to single elimination mid-tournament (both days), ran pretty slow, and the payouts were greatly reduced (like, $500 or something?). They don't have much knowledge on how Smash works.

You can read up on the issues here:
http://www.forum.progamingleague.ca/showthread.php?t=2499
http://www.forum.progamingleague.ca/showthread.php?t=2502

The biggest issue IMO was lack of information over ANYTHING we asked them. Every 'announcement' they had was so late, we only got the entrance fee and prize info a week and a half before the event was to happen. Once again, they only announce their event a couple weeks in advance. :/

That being said, they could have learned from their mistakes, and it could turn out better than last time. I would suggest trying to get in contact with 'PGL' on the PGL forums and convincing him to have a tournament organizer chosen from the community deal with the Smash stuff so things would run better, and maybe show their organizers how it's done so this won't be an issue later on.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Da Rules said:
In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
wat

wat

ThatGuy

Smash Master
It makes sense. You either get ports 1 and 4 or ports 2 and 3 for your controller based off of a RPS game (ports are important in Brawl apparently). The rules were copy/pasted from the SBR ruleset.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Why doesn't the GTA just organize their own tourny? From what I heard these guys are fail and trying to **** us. We should be supporting our scene >_>

Sanu

Smash Champion
Ports are important in Brawl? That's sad, lol.

*I know about that port priority myth BS*

Also, these guys aren't even considering Melee so I consider them as jokes. Waste of time, lol.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Why doesn't the GTA just organize their own tourny? From what I heard these guys are fail and trying to **** us. We should be supporting our scene >_>
Brampton one in March, Sauga one sometime in the near future...we have our own tournaments.

I think we should contact these guys and make sure that the tournament isn't all ****ed up. I'll probably show up no matter what because my buddy is playing Halo, but I'd still like the Brawl tournament to be proper.

nickcam

Smash Ace
30 bucks for singles... come on i could go to 2 tournies for that... and 30 for doubles. If u do the math this tourniey come out to $45 for each person for doubles and singles... while a regular tourney costs 25 for doubles and singles. Whos willing to pay $20 more

ThatGuy

Smash Master
They made a date change, it's now February 6th-8th. And I suggest you try to discuss these issues with the PGL guys on their forums, things won't change if you talk about them here.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Wow, guys it is a ****ing PGL tourny, not some tourney being ran by some smasher. of course it will cost a lot, people who win here actually get recognized as well, not just from the community. these are assumptions, but come on I think we should give it a chance. LBT would have gone terribly, so hopefully someone will also teach these people as well.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Wow, guys it is a ****ing PGL tourny, not some tourney being ran by some smasher. of course it will cost a lot, people who win here actually get recognized as well, not just from the community. these are assumptions, but come on I think we should give it a chance. LBT would have gone terribly, so hopefully someone will also teach these people as well.
Uhh, PLG is run by people who aren't known in the least, so how would anyone get recognized?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ice climbers, you dont know half of it. My precious chaingrabbing almost got banned by scrubs lol. Seriously, its more of a lul event than anything. Oh and since its pgl, be prepared for tons of scrubs who claim to have been best in canada at melee/brawl. Yeah, we saw them too.

kr3wman

Smash Master
The guy said he was 3rd at Melee in canada yet said he was so rusty a lvl9 computer fox would 3 stock him.

I DON'T THINK PKM COULD BE THIS RUSTY.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lol best at melee/brawl lmao, they prolly all play link.
I was there. And some of emsaid they were 2 good, like however they are so rusty they get beat by lvl 9 fox. LOL Noobs aplenty and scrubs even moar

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
PGL is legit, i just dont want to spend 30$ on one tourney when i could lose at two......it also has good media coverage too

Iliad

Smash Lord
30 bucks for singles... come on i could go to 2 tournies for that... and 30 for doubles. If u do the math this tourniey come out to $45 for each person for doubles and singles... while a regular tourney costs 25 for doubles and singles. Whos willing to pay $20 more
Rich kids who are bad at the game.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Ice climbers, you dont know half of it. My precious chaingrabbing almost got banned by scrubs lol. Seriously, its more of a lul event than anything. Oh and since its pgl, be prepared for tons of scrubs who claim to have been best in canada at melee/brawl. Yeah, we saw them too.
soo is thier a melee tourney though?
Lol best at melee/brawl lmao, they prolly all play link.
ey pundi whats that suppose to mean :mad:
i'll **** you with link :mad:
in the ayyus.

Sanu

Smash Champion
soo is thier a melee tourney though?

ey pundi whats that suppose to mean :mad:
i'll **** you with link :mad:
in the ayyus.
Why are you asking them? As of now, they don't even have a Melee section on their forum... So most likely no, lol.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Why are you asking them? As of now, they don't even have a Melee section on their forum... So most likely no, lol.
im asking them because im curious.
and plus im sure they dont have "melee" section in thier boards but you never know they might put up a tourney for it.
plus in the schedules it said "Super Smash Bros.." which one? thiers 64, Melee and Ballz.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Lots of negativity in this thread towards the Tournament Organizers.

And lolwtfbbq, claiming to be... 3rd, yet they get 3-stocked by a Lv.9 Fox?

Wow, lol.

Anyways, I'm fine and dandy going to Grmo's Melee/Brawl Tourney, so that will keep me busy.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
PM With PGL:

Me: Hey,

Just wanted to show you the discussion of the Toronto community regarding the smash event. It'd probably be a good idea to check it out, as they'll be posting there more than here.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214698

PGL: thanks a lot thatguy..... as you know we are inexperienced with Smash and none of us play it enough to say anything, what we need is a volunteer to help run it smoothly..... any help would be greatly appreciated

I see this as a possible opportunity to get a free tournament if you guys handle it right. Find someone who's willing to step up and talk with them.

Sanu

Smash Champion
I'd talk to them but they haven't granted me posting/pm rights on their forum.

Lamzor

Jer

Smash Ace
Do NOT go to this, me and filuac placed third in doubles and did not get any money. Everything is run mad slow, they had to ask us what the rules were mid tourney, and yeah the switched it to single elim, which was ghey

Top Bottom