• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Ryan-K

Smash Master
which explains why you are just completely ignore the positivity rhetoric.

you just want a "get rich quick" solution to like tech skill or whatever bs you're looking for. the problem is it doesn't exist and people aren't willing to lie to you.

JBM- you did just like i am now :laugh:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
what if i shot a laser and moved forward at the same time (therefore moving under her) and utilted? would that prove to be a better movement spot and give me more options?
Most peaches float just above the sh laser line, which is out of utilt range.

what i meant by this was: say you dair'd the peach and the peach didn't tech and hit the floor. she's lying there, and as you proceed to short hop, she getup attacks. will falco's short hop go over peach's getup attack and give you a free dair/nair/whatever aerial?
That is a bad way to go about things. If peach is lying on the ground and does a get up attack, you can actually run and dair her from a good ways off (1/3 FD) after the attack. So yes, a peach get-up attack is usually a free anything if it doesn't hit you.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
wow way to make me feel like an ******* for being totally honest with you. you aren't being positive. you're shooting yourself down because "being positive" sounds like it takes a long time and you want like a magic pill or something that can make you laser like pp and shine like shiz. everyone tried to help you and you're just being emo for the attention or until someone can tell you how they learned to doubleshine from like asking lambchops what way he does it and ****. notice how everyone has their own way of doing things yet the game has all the actions do it the exact same way? you don't want to learn how to get good. you aren't having fun. :laugh: you just want to "get good quick" like a **** enlargement email or some nonsense. you just hopeless on purpose guy lol
Too bad you know absolutely nothing about me. You assume I'm ignorant to think I'll magically get better.

You don't know that I've been playing competitively since 05, and I've been actively attending tournaments in AZ since 07. That's 5 years I've had to attempt to improve, and I've been playing with very good players throughout the entire time I've been playing, with the exception of early and mid 08 where I only played with people my level.

Furthermore you're also assuming I'm trying to learn unecessary technical skill, when all I'm trying to do is improve my overall consistency.

I can't L-Cancel vs shield in-game.

My thumb freezes up occasionally when I attempt short hops.

I flub simple wavedashes alot, and waveshines almost all the time as spacies.

my thumb freezes up sometimes when I try to waveshine.

Etc.

None of this has to do with doing things quickly, or flashy, etc. No shien bairs, or shine usmashes, or multi shines, just doing my best to improve my consistency on the basic, REQUIRED technical skill.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Honestly if you don't believe in yourself to perform it, your wasting your time.

Mindset is EVERYTHING!!!

forward is exactly right though.

Be open minded. It really seems like you are closing your mind and just being satisfied by your own opinion which is clearly wrong. try to actually enjoy the game rather than looking at it as a profession. you can get good at things by having fun just as much as being very serious, in some cases more than others but that is another thing.

hope i didn't waste my time.
Mindset has nothing to do with anything.

You're also making assumptions about me which are wrong.

Good job wasting your time.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
which explains why you are just completely ignore the positivity rhetoric.

you just want a "get rich quick" solution to like tech skill or whatever bs you're looking for. the problem is it doesn't exist and people aren't willing to lie to you.

JBM- you did just like i am now :laugh:
Wrong again. I simply made alot of observations on what usually results in most of my stock losses, and often the match as a whole. I'm not ignorant to assume that theres some wat to magically have better technical skill.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
ok? so then what do you want us to do about it. short of like having a legitimate problem with your motor skills it's all with your ****ty *** attitude. so stop *****ing about it and get better. if you didn't want advice then you shouldn't have asked for it in the first place. really you're just trying to find an outlet for your complaining, in which case i recommend www.livejournal.com.

also why are you telling us that mindset has nothing to do with it? :laugh: we're not the ones *****ing for 3 pages that we can't l-cancel on shield.

everyone stop quoting ruby plz :bee:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I think it's safe to assume ruby is a troll and attention *****.
Do you like being completely wrong about me?

I'm neither a troll or an attention hog. I'm honestly trying everything to get better, whilst trying to explain that mindset has nothing to do with anything.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
ok? so then what do you want us to do about it. short of like having a legitimate problem with your motor skills it's all with your ****ty *** attitude. so stop *****ing about it and get better. if you didn't want advice then you shouldn't have asked for it in the first place. really you're just trying to find an outlet for your complaining, in which case i recommend www.livejournal.com.
Smashboards is as good of a rant outlet as any, thank you, and people will actually read/respond to it rather than some LJ.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I'm not being negative. I'm being realistic.
You're right, optimism and pessimism fundamentally have nothing to do with metaphysical improvement.

In fact, your realistic views boil down to a fatalistic understanding in life. Which means, no one can ever help you.

You want reality? Reality is that you will never get better because getting better is relative to the performance of others. And right now, there are others who are exponentially getting better and make any sort of progress you make seem insignificant.

So what's the point of even playing Smash? I dunno.

What's the point in living? We're all gonna die.

No one else can answer that for you.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
OH and I'd like to point out that I wouldn't be saying that a positive mindset doesn't do a **** thing if I wasn't speaking from experience.

All it does is make smashing with other people more enjoyable as I get the dirt-trash stomped out of me for however long we play.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Lol Rubyiris, lol.

I picked my person of the day to try and help. I did my part.

To respond to the statement above.

Your mindset is wrong. I can tell you that much. Maybe there is no way to put it in words. Maybe where i am at in the game compared to where your at is just something you simply will have to accept yourself. I'm not saying your better than me. You might be, but thats not important.

Be considerate. I took my time to try and help you. consider that and realize that others have done that as well. Rather than shooting the post down try to understand it. if you can't, then admit it. Don't be rude about it. Others will stop helping you.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
if i was speaking from experience then doc and samus>>Falco :laugh:

but since you insist on being close minded and getting ***** as like the second best character in the game well then have a nice life.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
All it does is make smashing with other people more enjoyable.
Is that not good enough?

I doubt there's any magic answer to how you're feeling, but to just see what's important to you.

I suppose you could imagine yourself perfecting your techskills and whatnot and imagine how differently you would feel around your friends.

Would it honestly make you a happier person?

Or does your happiness come from just enjoying the company of your friends regardless of your subjective performance in Smash?

I went through something strikingly similar, but I don't want to spam up Dr.PP's thread. Feel free to PM if you want.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
Most peaches float just above the sh laser line, which is out of utilt range.
so any movement forward would completely screw me over? 'cause i was thinking shl forward and reverse utilt or normal utilt would give me some sort of advantage.

That is a bad way to go about things. If peach is lying on the ground and does a get up attack, you can actually run and dair her from a good ways off (1/3 FD) after the attack. So yes, a peach get-up attack is usually a free anything if it doesn't hit you.
well, i didn't say it was a good way to do things, but I was wondering if falco's short hop indeed jumped high enough to avoid peach's getup attack (go above it) and give me a free dair. I'm not sure if you said falco's short hop does go above it, so i need a bit of clarification.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
so any movement forward would completely screw me over? 'cause i was thinking shl forward and reverse utilt or normal utilt would give me some sort of advantage.
A proper Peach floating against Falco will avoid pretty much all lasers unless you aim a single one specifically at the float height, and avoid all shffl approaches except for upair.

Not that you can't get laser to uptilt to work though, you just need to do it when you notice an improper float or as they are about to land/jump.

I don't know the answer to your other question though.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
A proper Peach floating against Falco will avoid pretty much all lasers unless you aim a single one specifically at the float height, and avoid all shffl approaches except for upair.

Not that you can't get laser to uptilt to work though, you just need to do it when you notice an improper float or as they are about to land/jump.

I don't know the answer to your other question though.
uair... i forgot about that. maybe i'll try to uair, and if i miss, i'll cover it with an utilt. i just thought a short hop laser forward would bait an attack from peach, which would result me in utilting them.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
Would Fair hit Peach above laser height also? I don't have a Peach player to test this on.
fair does go a bit higher than falco's other aerials.. i think it would depend on how high above laser height she's floating. i'll definitely check it out, pp.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
depends how high they are floating tho fair does go a lil higher than lasers usually i just run and wait for them to land or like try to dair on top of them just dont get too used to it cuz they can parasol or w/e. idk i really dont have a big problem with peach as a character ive always just known how to deal with her.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
well, i didn't say it was a good way to do things, but I was wondering if falco's short hop indeed jumped high enough to avoid peach's getup attack (go above it) and give me a free dair. I'm not sure if you said falco's short hop does go above it, so i need a bit of clarification.
His short hop does go above peach's get-up attack, but he is not in the air long enough to avoid the entire duration of the attack. So it would not work.

As for floating height, for most peaches we float at falco from between the height of PS platform to the top of peach's full jump. You can test these fairly easily. Put a character on a PS platform and try to sh fair, if that works, try for her full jump. Get a cpu in training mode, set to jump and try to hit at peak.

(my view, not a fact) I'm fairly certain that you can hit lower floating peaches with fair, u-air, and u-tilt, while you can not hit most peaches with anything but u-air.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You pretty much only ever want to approach Peach when she's grounded, or facing away from you, just as a general rule of thumb. (IMO).

Also I find it laughable that some random 09 ****** is trying to troll someone who's been active since 05. LOL.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
if i was speaking from experience then doc and samus>>Falco :laugh:

but since you insist on being close minded and getting ***** as like the second best character in the game well then have a nice life.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. <3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Lol Rubyiris, lol.

I picked my person of the day to try and help. I did my part.

To respond to the statement above.

Your mindset is wrong. I can tell you that much. Maybe there is no way to put it in words. Maybe where i am at in the game compared to where your at is just something you simply will have to accept yourself. I'm not saying your better than me. You might be, but thats not important.

Be considerate. I took my time to try and help you. consider that and realize that others have done that as well. Rather than shooting the post down try to understand it. if you can't, then admit it. Don't be rude about it. Others will stop helping you.
The only thing mindset will do is affect how much a player and his peers will enjoy the game, and eachothers company. This is from MY EXPERIENCE, which I have ALOOOOT of. I'm not ignorant, and I'm not talking out of my ***.

I have a defeating mindset because I don't expect to get any better, but I also see no reason not to attempt to do so whilst having fun with friends. Even if certain things are frustrating at times, it doesn't mean it always is, or even is a majority of the time. Hell I've only complained about the technical aspects of the game once in like nearly 5 months.

Having a "Negative" mindset is useful in that if I'm not expecting anything, I'll be pleasantly surprised if I ever do improve, though I don't expect so.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
strange i'm not as good as you guys probably, however i usually don't bother to sh dair against peach except at the ledge or if i'm contending against Uair, it has longer recovery even if you shfflR cancel (not L :p) i use nair uptilt and if you spam lasers quick enough it can be hard to get off the floor for her and really make use of float, because this only leaves her second jump if she's been lasered being below peach is good times.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
what if i did a dair? would i still get hit out of it?
nvm figured it out

You pretty much only ever want to approach Peach when she's grounded, or facing away from you, just as a general rule of thumb. (IMO).
i always approach peach. that's my rule of thumb.

i use nair uptilt
nair can be cc'd into dsmash. if you try to nair > shine a ccing peach, you're gonna eat a lot of damage. nair is only used situationally. personally, i don't find it safe at all.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Even with Fair? Why's that? In what ways should I be defensive without lasers? Platforms? DDs?

Edit: I don't fight many Peaches but I can even tell you Nair is not good on a grounded Peach.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
what if i shot a laser and moved forward at the same time (therefore moving under her) and utilted? would that prove to be a better movement spot and give me more options?
Peach tends to mirror your horizonal movement in the air so that she can keep up her spacing for fair or w/e. In general, if the Peach is hovering higher than my utilt's range, I don't use it because I trust that they'll know what they're doing well enough to wait out the utilt hitbox and punish me.

what i meant by this was: say you dair'd the peach and the peach didn't tech and hit the floor. she's lying there, and as you proceed to short hop, she getup attacks. will falco's short hop go over peach's getup attack and give you a free dair/nair/whatever aerial?
Sure, but it's a timing thing and it's not like you can just short hop and react. You have to have predicted the get up attack's timing and then you can do this, but in that situation, you were probably better off just not getting within range of her getup attack and then reacting with shffl dair when she does it.

Dude my advice thread *****.
:laugh:

Would Fair hit Peach above laser height also? I don't have a Peach player to test this on.
fair is ****, but jumping at Peach in the air tends to be high risk, low reward. the spot Peaches like to float at is above where a shffl fair would hit, so if you're trying to space fair vs. her float ****, you end up needing to full hop usually, which can get dicey. If I have my back against a ledge, I consider using fair against a floating Peach, but if I have room to knock her out of the air with lasers, I usually just do that.

nvm figured it out

i always approach peach. that's my rule of thumb.

nair can be cc'd into dsmash. if you try to nair > shine a ccing peach, you're gonna eat a lot of damage. nair is only used situationally. personally, i don't find it safe at all.
nair is great when she's on her way down from the air, but terrible when she's grounded.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
When I was talking about using Fair, I meant to use it when Peach was barely floating above my highest SHL range. Would it work then?

Also, I don't plan on spamming this tactic, but it's definitely something I'd like to know.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
When I was talking about using Fair, I meant to use it when Peach was barely floating above my highest SHL range. Would it work then?

Also, I don't plan on spamming this tactic, but it's definitely something I'd like to know.
if she's barely above highest shl, fair'll connect and so would bair. the trick is to manage the movement so that she can't just float away from your aerial and punish.

I'll see how motivated I can get later in the day to get Peach and Sheik done for the matchup thread, but it sounds like there's a lot of Peach interest here and I've seen more than a few requests for Sheik semi-recently.

ps.
lol, I had no idea my thread was that dead until I saw you bump it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I can't tell people a whole lot about Peach/Sheik because I don't play against those characters much at all. You should write stuff Mogwai. =p

Thanks for answering my question so quickly. I'll keep that in mind man.

Your thread still *****. <3

PEEF!

Smash Hero
PP you better not get beaten by some Tope or Xelic and disappoint us all. I think you'll beat Mango if you play him. Just my prediction.

PS: We look alike.

PPS: Don't lose to anyone except D-rain. Or BigD. Basically they need a D in their name.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I can beat Tope. I JV 4'd him at HERB 2, but I feel like I may have gotten worse at the matchup lol. Don't know how I'll do vs Peaches though....

So I hear. =p

Nah dude, Falcons are what I like to beat. =)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I can beat Tope. I JV 4'd him at HERB 2, but I feel like I may have gotten worse at the matchup lol. Don't know how I'll do vs Peaches though....

So I hear. =p

Nah dude, Falcons are what I like to beat. =)
You think you can beat the rain? He beat chops and other falcos at genesis...

Who is the best peach you've played?

Top Bottom