• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

mers

Smash Ace
Scaring your opponent with bthrow or even fthrow regrabs is seriously too good. It basically guarantees that they will buffer roll out if you regrab them like 2 times, which then leads to a free roll punish.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
also, fthrow leads to techchase at some %'s. only florida falcos use fthrow on the stage though; if you're not from florida just do uthrow in those situations lol
yeah, i think after 37% it turns into a tech chase.

Return

Smash Apprentice
Quick question, it's probably been asked before.

How do you do Zhu's WD back to ledge->Bair without grabbing the ledge? Can it also be done with fox?

Sion

Island of Horizon
bair before you grab the ledge. it can be done with basically anyone as long as you do something to stop the character from grabbing the ledge.

Sion

Island of Horizon
as soon as you leave the ground via wavedashing off the ledge backwards, you instantly bair. there are quite a few frames that leave you in the air before grabbing the ledge, so no second jump is necessary. basically bairing before you touch the ledge makes it so that you don't grab the ledge and bair instead

personally i use the cstick to do so, but direction + a works well too.

Return

Smash Apprentice
I know what you're talking about, but that's not the technique I'm trying to learn :p

It's (shine) -> WD backwards -> do not grab the ledge -> jump -> bair

so the end looks like a ledgedrop bair. but you start from the stage instead.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
So I played some like 10 hours of falco dittos over the last two days with very technical players, with myself also being a technical player.

The answer to SDIng falcos dair is JC Grab.

We tested it out extensively and fox/falco/falcon, at like 20~30% can't react fast enough to the grab with anything. anything lower and the fox/falco can be a *** and shine. Falcon can't stop it, though.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Yeah people also seem to mess up their DI on your throw more likely than usual, because they thought they just escaped.

Moooose

Smash Champion
I know what you're talking about, but that's not the technique I'm trying to learn :p

It's (shine) -> WD backwards -> do not grab the ledge -> jump -> bair

so the end looks like a ledgedrop bair. but you start from the stage instead.
as you start slipping off the stage, hold down, then double jump bair

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
about zhu's wd back -> jump -> bair thing:

if you hold down you will not grab the ledge. this is true in all situations as far as i know. so if you just wd and then hold down you will fall, then you can DJ and bair.

what zhu actually does, though, is time when he presses down so that he fast falls. this is unnecessary to complete the action, but makes it significantly faster.

i just thought i'd clarify since i didnt read anyone else doing so.

unknown522

Some guy
-dthrow is really oldschool but still *****. dthrow shine always combos if they don't DI to one side, which is hard to react to if the fox isn't used to it. dthrow dsmash stuff is best avoided by holding to the side and shielding, but if the fox just tries to shield you can dthrow regrab (stupid ghetto chaingrab lol)
d-throw -> d-smash actually combos fox if you grab them near the edge of the stage, or platforms. He falls off the stage, so he can't escape it with DI.

-bthrow leads to another grab if the fox doesn't DI right. so you can do dumb bull**** like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQr3E6QY394#t=0m28s lol. NOT SAYING that this is actually a good idea, but this is to show that it'll work on even good players, if they're unsuspecting. a better use for bthrow regrab is when your back is to the ledge; then you can do bthrow, turn around regrab, fthrow, gimp. which brings us to...
b-throw -> turnaround f-tilt is a pretty good gimp setup. If you think they will try to recover a bit lower, then run off and DJ d-air back onto the stage. The hitbox is huge and even if you miss, you still have frame advantage because they are trying to avoid you and if you time it right, they won't be able to sweetspot with their DJ, so it forces them to wall-jump, or use their up-b. Timing is important though.

So I played some like 10 hours of falco dittos over the last two days with very technical players, with myself also being a technical player.

The answer to SDIng falcos dair is JC Grab.

We tested it out extensively and fox/falco/falcon, at like 20~30% can't react fast enough to the grab with anything. anything lower and the fox/falco can be a *** and shine. Falcon can't stop it, though.
I'm pretty sure you can run in and SH/JC shine.

Black_jo

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about shine to up air to get a kill? I like to do it on floaties when they have a lot of damages but not enough to die with a shine on stages like YS, FoD. You have to do it insanly quick though. Kinda like a shine back air, but faster I think.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I would assume it works if they don't smash DI the shine; if they do, I'm not entirely sure you can sweetspot the uair. Someone can confirm this (or disagree with me) I'm sure.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I would assume it works if they don't smash DI the shine; if they do, I'm not entirely sure you can sweetspot the uair. Someone can confirm this (or disagree with me) I'm sure.
dont even have to smash di the shine if they just di away it cant hit, just like shine bair.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
yo and stop doing stupid combos, those get annoying after some time.

if you hit with a shine, just wavedash out and do moonwalk to taunt!

;)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NArkBYUDyjc&feature=sub

my falco vs a fox, this is the first time actually playing against a legit fox. i can easily tell he knows this MU alot better than i do, since he won't choose his other main(falco) against me, i do pretty well in falco dittos and he knows it :D

critique/advice would be awesome, thanks.

edit- also if you can't tell this is me playing somewhat nervous.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NArkBYUDyjc&feature=sub

my falco vs a fox, this is the first time actually playing against a legit fox. i can easily tell he knows this MU alot better than i do, since he won't choose his other main(falco) against me, i do pretty well in falco dittos and he knows it :D

critique/advice would be awesome, thanks.

edit- also if you can't tell this is me playing somewhat nervous.
0:34- tech skill/nerves.

0:37- Run up shine/grab, don't just sit there.

0:39- You got the laser and stopped Fox, you should have shined/utilted/grabbed.

0:45- Challenging a move from above with Dair? Nah man you space around it or Utilt/Fsmash them.

0:52- unnecessary attempt to waveland.

0:56- Fsmash doesn't cover enough options, Rising Bair/Dair would have been better. Anyway, it's better to lower Fox when he's firefoxing above the edge with lasers so you can either force the illusion or cover Fox as he comes up/to the side easier.

1:05- You would have been better off just Dair'ing there.

1:19- Try to avoid spotdodging after teching in. Shine/roll/moving sometimes really do work better because Fox expects something quick and defensive to punish.

then you die and come back and mess up more tech skill and also try to camp but you don't punish the approaches you're baiting at all.

1:47- Don't double jump for tech chasing.

1:53- shine oos if you didn't go for it there.

1:55- Go for the follow up/pressure at least on the Dair.

then more nerves and missed tech skill.....

2:28- Don't make that movement so predictable. Going so high is easy for Fox to Bair if you're just floating up there with your DJ so long.

2:49- Just follow Fox down to the ground for a tech chase.

3:12- Don't do that dash attack. Give them a reason to start jumping oos before doing that. That means grab more.

3:45- Laser jab isn't safe vs Fox at all really. Using the second one is even worse.

You also phantasm'd onstage too much.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
wow this guy's falco (easiest character in the game, if you can't use falco there's something wrong with you) got critiqued, but my mewtwo (almost negligible) has been waiting for days?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeeo5KNw5jk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y33MtxK-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYI1Bt5KUUE

Hello fellow falco players, I need some advices to improve my game (especially against powershield-happy Marth like the one on those vids). Thanks :D

(1st match is too laggy to be uploaded)
Game 2:

0:02- Don't try to laser Marth when you're on a platform. Get under him and take advantage of his position.

0:12- Scare Marth some when he's falling like that. Bairs are good for it.

0:16- Don't hop past Marth when he's laying on the ground. His getup rolls are kinda slow so just avoid the getup attack and you're golden. I recommend CC'ing it anyway.

oh and if you mess up on that read don't double jump. being above marth sucks.

You don't have to go high to avoid Marth when he comes back. edge stalling or just moving around/getting on a side platform and lightshielding/etc is typically safer since you're not a sitting duck above marth.

1:24- Lightshield edgehog or maybe a faster regrab to Dair when he up-Bs are better strategies. You could also just Dair/Dsmash from the stage.

1:28- Keep moving while he's doing that. Keep a move out at a safe range(AC Bairs are good for this) so that Marth can't sneak up on you like that.

1:49- Going for that extra shine is unsafe vs Marth because he had time for a ton of oos options by then obviously. Either switch back to aerials or reset your pressure to keep Marth on his toes.

2:01- Dash attack from that far away is too easy to react to. Need a little more lasering to hold Marth in place(if you're worried about PS'ing, then mix in fake lasers/blanks).

Edit: Shut up Stongers lol. I'll do it now.

Top Bottom