• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
my theory has always been that you need to just wait for ganon to jump at you and then kill him. I'm not saying you need to sit on the opposite side of FD and spam him all game, but I just think any form of jumping at Ganon is giving him exactly what he wants (predictable movement that he can space his slow moves against) and Falco is simply too slow to effectively approach anyone on the ground.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
wtf, in that match, he pretty much never approaches when Kage has freedom of movement and the few times that he does, he just gets pimp slapped out of the air with jab. all the attacks are coming at times when Kage is landing or post connecting with some form of laser/jab poking. Maybe we just see the idea of approaching differently.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
wtf, in that match, he pretty much never approaches when Kage has freedom of movement and the few times that he does, he just gets pimp slapped out of the air with jab. all the attacks are coming at times when Kage is landing or post connecting with some form of laser/jab poking. Maybe we just see the idea of approaching differently.
Freaking SWF!!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well there weren't many lasers to worry about, so it's easy to move around Falco that way. =P

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
what r falcos strong and weak zones?
What an odd, interesting question.

Strong zones would maybe be when someone is falling above Falco(Bair/Uptilt/Upsmash but mostly Bair) and after that I'm not really sure to be honest....

Weak zones can be right above him, below him depending on character, and maybe on a platform on some stages?

I feel there are better answers than what I just gave but I honestly don't have anything better to say.

I can actually appreciate a lot of the things he does, very underrated / overlooked player.

I think playing in the East Coast has really changed my mentality. I'm not sure what I was afraid of or why I held myself back by thinking things were gay / dumb / other scrub-like things or how I even got this far thinking that way, but I'm gonna try my best to really take a pp self analysis and really consciously think about my game for once. This mentality made a clear difference going from a tourny a week ago to the most recent one, and I'm actually kind of excited to see where it'll take me.

More to come!
Agreed @ Sion. The guy really impressed me at RoM3, and his tech would be cool to see put to greater use in the future.

What sort of things did you consider gay or dumb before? I'm just curious haha.

Keep us posted Zhu. =)

So it looks like you're saying it's only approaching when he has freedom of movement. While I try not to do that I'd still say it's approaching even if I'm counterattacking in his lag or have him locked in his shield or something. Maybe that's just me though.

Well there weren't many lasers to worry about, so it's easy to move around Falco that way. =P
Wait you don't think I shot a lot? Niceeeee

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
So it looks like you're saying it's only approaching when he has freedom of movement. While I try not to do that I'd still say it's approaching even if I'm counterattacking in his lag or have him locked in his shield or something. Maybe that's just me though.
I mean, black chris is saying that that match was an example of a rushdown Falco vs. Ganon, whereas I just see it as you poking at Kage until you get a hit that gives you the opening you need to follow up. meh, I dunno, I just think of approaching in terms of attempting to go from a neutral position -> you hitting them/their shield with something more than a laser/jab and really what I saw in that match was Kage trying to work his way in on you and you abusing his landing lag to force pokes and then following pokes with shield pressure/combos. I didn't see a whole lot of you rushing him down from equal footing, but I'm guessing I see that match in different terms than most =\.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I mean, black chris is saying that that match was an example of a rushdown Falco vs. Ganon, whereas I just see it as you poking at Kage until you get a hit that gives you the opening you need to follow up. meh, I dunno, I just think of approaching in terms of attempting to go from a neutral position -> you hitting them/their shield with something more than a laser/jab and really what I saw in that match was Kage trying to work his way in on you and you abusing his landing lag to force pokes and then following pokes with shield pressure/combos. I didn't see a whole lot of you rushing him down from equal footing, but I'm guessing I see that match in different terms than most =\.
I didn't watch the set but I didn't laser to jab that much back then did I? rofl

I won't deny the pokes are certainly there but I consciously remember feeling more liberal in my approaches once I knew I could get away with more vs Kage than Linguini let me(<3 Kage).

I feel what you're saying though and it's fine to see approaching that way but it makes me wonder how much approaching you think is actually done by most people/Falcos(wouldn't mind hearing about that btw).

Is it true you're teaming with Mew2King for Genesis 2?
It is quite true. Team white dudes with glasses and gym shorts.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
What sort of things did you consider gay or dumb before? I'm just curious haha.

Keep us posted Zhu. =)
Just about everything to be honest (even / especially my own style).

I think I just miss the days where I actually got impressed by people. Whenever I see someone win, I don't see one person outsmarting or outplaying the other, I just see one person trying harder than the other person. Maybe it's just a reflection of how I feel about myself... I feel like my game hasn't developed in a very long time and my tournament success boils down to my tech skill and ability to try (not my matchup knowledge, overall preparedness, etc).

But either way, I think I'm at a point in my life where I really need to be more critical of myself and not just be results oriented. I'm currently interning at a research lab under a fantastic mentor (Indian Denzel Washington), and the most valuable thing I've learned here is that to do good and proper research, you should not take anything at its face value and really be critical of every aspect of a project.

To me, that translates to nitpicking and working out details, something that I'm just not used to doing. I think I take a lot of things for granted (especially my performance in smash) and kind of just settle for what I have because it's simply more than what I expect from myself (when I started Smash, I never dreamed of beating a fraction of the people I have beaten). The idea of hard and honest work is actually kind of new and intimidating to me, but for whatever reason, I think I'm ready to give it a shot and accept that if I don't quite succeed, at least I tried my best.

I make a mental note to not preemptively say I'm bad at something, but writing is also one of things that I absolutely dread, so I hope you guys forgive the mess, writing is actually very unnatural for me.

I'm not really sure how to feel about all of that, I feel like this is a life lesson people are supposed to learn when they're kids LOL. I guess I'm still growing up.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Falco on the defensive versus another Falco, Peach, Marth, Fox
Aldwyn vs. Pasi and AE for Falco vs. Fox
Faab vs. any other Falco, vs. Armada, vs. Makenshi and Ice, vs. Zgetto and Remen
Baxon vs. any other Falco, I dunno if he has ever played Armada on vid, vs. Makenshi and Ice, vs. Zgetto and any other Fox
Hiko (a Japanese Falco) vs. any of those characters. I can remember 2 old vids in which he played Joanna Dark (an european Falco) at OC 2 and Mikael (a Peach from outside Japan, can't remember where he was from).
All of this Falcos are not THAT campy (except for Hiko, maybe), but they're all a good example of how a Falco can perform well if he takes his time to think and if he sticks to his gun instead of rushing in with random aerials spamming tech skills as fast as he can.
Oh, and of course you wanna watch Forward, Zhu and PeePee, but I assumed you already did xP

Falco edge guarding Marth, Fox
Pretty much any good Falco vs. any good Marth/Fox I suppose, lol. I guess Chops, Shiz, PeePee and Mango are all good examples of different styles. They all played M2K and Jman so yeah, there's plenty of vids.
If you're searching for something else and you've never seen european Falcos, take a look at Aldwyn/Faab/Baxon/Remen/Zgetto

Falco approaching Ganon
Good ol' Shiz/Chops vs. Linguini and PP vs. Linguini/Kage I suppose, even if PP is not *that* aggro xP
OH AND MANGO VS. KAGE LOL xd

Falco vs Doctor Mario
Shiz/Chops/PP/Mango vs. Shroomed/HMW. And has Zhu ever played Shroomed/HMW on vid? D:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

I think I just miss the days where I actually got impressed by people. Whenever I see someone win, I don't see one person outsmarting or outplaying the other, I just see one person trying harder than the other person. Maybe it's just a reflection of how I feel about myself... I feel like my game hasn't developed in a very long time and my tournament success boils down to my tech skill and ability to try (not my matchup knowledge, overall preparedness, etc).

But either way, I think I'm at a point in my life where I really need to be more critical of myself and not just be results oriented. I'm currently interning at a research lab under a fantastic mentor (Indian Denzel Washington), and the most valuable thing I've learned here is that to do good and proper research, you should not take anything at its face value and really be critical of every aspect of a project.

To me, that translates to nitpicking and working out details, something that I'm just not used to doing. I think I take a lot of things for granted (especially my performance in smash) and kind of just settle for what I have because it's simply more than what I expect from myself (when I started Smash, I never dreamed of beating a fraction of the people I have beaten). The idea of hard and honest work is actually kind of new and intimidating to me, but for whatever reason, I think I'm ready to give it a shot and accept that if I don't quite succeed, at least I tried my best.

I make a mental note to not preemptively say I'm bad at something, but writing is also one of things that I absolutely dread, so I hope you guys forgive the mess, writing is actually very unnatural for me.

I'm not really sure how to feel about all of that, I feel like this is a life lesson people are supposed to learn when they're kids LOL. I guess I'm still growing up.
If it makes you feel any better, I miss the wonder I had when watching other people play as well. I still get impressed/hyped by some stuff but it's not the same. I guess once you get past the captivating aspect of things and have to play without lettings things distract you to win at such a level, then you can't go back(or maybe you can but if it's possible then I wouldn't know).

And I remember you putting in lots of effort to be great at smash. You were on these boards(Falco) a little before I was I think, and I remember you asking for a critique one time and everyone was like "wow how can we critique someone better than us?" XD Don't sell yourself short now. =)

At any rate, humbling experiences in awkward situations like the one you're in will undoubtedly help you a ton in your life so I really hope you get a lot out of it man. <3

Goddamn it PP.. It will not go so easy next time!

Zhu.. well the magic of life is everywhere, you just have to be willing to see it. =P
I'm still mean to Ganon. =p

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kage you still down for MM?

i hope i body, but i might get bodied too!

(if so, would u be down for $5 falco $5 ic's? or just $10 against whatever i can throw at you? :) i don't wanna take too much of your time, but i'd like to think that i am a warrior too so i must battle another warrior!)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
kage you still down for MM?

i hope i body, but i might get bodied too!

(if so, would u be down for $5 falco $5 ic's? or just $10 against whatever i can throw at you? :) i don't wanna take too much of your time, but i'd like to think that i am a warrior too so i must battle another warrior!)
Too much of my time?? Huh?? Who do you think I am? lol. I'm just a regular person, you make it seem like using the warrior's time is a waste of time lol. Just come play and MM, I give free hugs and I play everyone. =)

D

Deleted member

It sounds to me like you've hit a small epiphany. Your mentor sounds like an excellent instructor, and he is exactly correct. The truth of a matter is often veiled in darkness, and to find the truth is to stumble through that darkness until you reach some resolution, but you can still choose to stumble systematically and with direction. Also, what you say about your lack of game play is not specific to just you. Indeed, the game hasn't changed since 2001. The only change is how it is viewed. To see something for its true value is difficult, even after many years. If your style has become staled, it would benefit you to see it with new eyes. If you would like a guide through this darkness to learn to evaluate your observations accurately, I can be that beacon.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It sounds to me like you've hit a small epiphany. Your mentor sounds like an excellent instructor, and he is exactly correct. The truth of a matter is often veiled in darkness, and to find the truth is to stumble through that darkness until you reach some resolution, but you can still choose to stumble systematically and with direction. Also, what you say about your lack of game play is not specific to just you. Indeed, the game hasn't changed since 2001. The only change is how it is viewed. To see something for its true value is difficult, even after many years. If your style has become staled, it would benefit you to see it with new eyes. If you would like a guide through this darkness to learn to evaluate your observations accurately, I can be that beacon.
That sounds terrible coming from you. lol.

D

Deleted member

I am an excellent teacher. The few people I've taught have all had dramatic and notable fast improvement. Once you understand how smash really is, it's applicable to any character and just generally makes the game much easier regardless of skill level or opponent's skill level. I'm sure m2k, druggedfox, scar, and to a lesser extent dr pp will back me up on this.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I am an excellent teacher. The few people I've taught have all had dramatic and notable fast improvement. Once you understand how smash really is, it's applicable to any character and just generally makes the game much easier regardless of skill level or opponent's skill level. I'm sure m2k, druggedfox, scar, and to a lesser extent dr pp will back me up on this.
Not sure who you are... unless... Umbreon?

D

Deleted member

i didn't say anything about willpower?

and yeah i can teach you zhu. i'm on aim on and off late at night.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
@ institution. I said willpower in my own opinion.

I agreed with you when you said regardless of skill level or opponent's skill level.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I know its two fake accounts. I just want to call him institution because he's the self proclaimed teacher of melee.

Top Bottom