• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power of Flight: The ULTIMATE Pit Guide

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Your guides here guys have jsut taught me the WoI wavedashing thingy :p so thank you, I need to find uses for it now. anything else I should learn? I can kind of do the ART but is it really necessary to know to be a good pit?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Your welcome. And I don't think ART is really needed, its better to know then not to know. But the strict input and it not having any wiggle room (when talking about where you can do it) vs the out come makes it an ok tech at best. It can be nice if someone is jumping to get back (not ledge hoping, but hitting jump when hanging on the ledge). You catch them with an air AR and it drags them to the ground and runs them off the stage. But thats about the only real use for it I can find.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
duuude, my Pit jsut got so much mroe Flashy :| Like wow I want to save those replays, and Faster. I'm in awe lol thanks agian :D I'll be hitting up this forum prolly regularly if you dun mind as he's one of my mains :p so you'll see my face from now on:dizzy:

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
I've read yoru guide several times and to be honest, thank you! I've seen the time inputted, and its seriously appreciated.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering about something.

You(R@vyn) have pit's rolls to be identical, with 33 total frames and invincibility from 9 to 19.

However, K prime did research on all the character rolls and got different numbers, and different forward/backward rolls. backward roll was 32 total, and invincible on 4-17. Forward roll was 27 total, and same invincibility.

Which one is correct?

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
MK guide mentions using his Uair to gain air recovery quicker. You should urge people to reflexively smash out a Bair when being knocked flying. It's definitely difficult to get used to to replace air dodging reflexively.

Coffee™

I need it....
I was wondering about something.

You(R@vyn) have pit's rolls to be identical, with 33 total frames and invincibility from 9 to 19.

However, K prime did research on all the character rolls and got different numbers, and different forward/backward rolls. backward roll was 32 total, and invincible on 4-17. Forward roll was 27 total, and same invincibility.

Which one is correct?
Most likely K Primes. I'm going to edit the frame data when everything is finish. Levitas from the Smash Lab is looking into it.

Corrupt Edit: So very nice haveing someone else who can update this with me.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Glide Tossing

I didn't see anything about glide tossing in the front page, but I think it might be worth looking in to. I was messing around in Training Mode with Pit to get the glide tossing down with him, and I was using the Banana Peel. Since Diddy Kong uses Banana Peels, I thought it was interesting what could be done with these. Let's say you have a Banana Peel in your hand. Depending on how far you are, you can glide toss Diddy Kong's Banana Peel and then grab him after. If he gets hit, you can grab, or you can do an f-smash. Grabbing might be safer, since you can grab your opponent if he or she shields. Other smashes are possible, but probably not as good. What is more, if you do an f-smash, you can use it in the opposite direction, so even if you do end up behind Diddy Kong, you'll still be able to hit him.

Arkanj0

Smash Cadet
This is my first time reading this thread, and I just read the first post.... and I'm sorry, but the list of Cons of Pit is ludicrous.

Cons

* It can be hard to get kills (No it's not... Pit can kill people fine, it will just take a little longer than the likes of Snake)
* Wings of Icarus (WoI)(Up B) deals no damage (Why does it need to deal damage? People won't be piling up to edgehog Pit anyway, and you can attack right out of it which is very nice).
* He is at the lower end of mid-weights (Pit is a reasonably heavy middleweight, if you're not GW or some other character with insane KO power you're gonna have trouble killing him until he gets to at least 110%)
* Angel Ring (AR) has significant cooldown lag (It would be a viciously overpowered move if it had little to no cooldown lag)
* Pit cannot wall jump or wall cling (You poor thing, you don't have a heavily situational device that you don't need it anyway)

Pit is a excellent high tier character with little to no cons. I'm surprised that the guy who wrote this didn't include:

*Pit does not have a instant, spammable one-hit KO move.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This is my first time reading this thread, and I just read the first post.... and I'm sorry, but the list of Cons of Pit is ludicrous.

Cons

* It can be hard to get kills (No it's not... Pit can kill people fine, it will just take a little longer than the likes of Snake)
* Wings of Icarus (WoI)(Up B) deals no damage (Why does it need to deal damage? People won't be piling up to edgehog Pit anyway, and you can attack right out of it which is very nice).
* He is at the lower end of mid-weights (Pit is a reasonably heavy middleweight, if you're not GW or some other character with insane KO power you're gonna have trouble killing him until he gets to at least 110%)
* Angel Ring (AR) has significant cooldown lag (It would be a viciously overpowered move if it had little to no cooldown lag)
* Pit cannot wall jump or wall cling (You poor thing, you don't have a heavily situational device that you don't need it anyway)

Pit is a excellent high tier character with little to no cons. I'm surprised that the guy who wrote this didn't include:

*Pit does not have a instant, spammable one-hit KO move.

Unfortunately what you say is generally wrong, and to counter your statements one by one:

"* It can be hard to get kills (No it's not... Pit can kill people fine, it will just take a little longer than the likes of Snake)"

Pit lacks good KO power overall. Many kills now a days are simply through edgeguarding and gimping, which is one of Pit's specialties, and that's what Pit needs. Nonetheless, Pit still is one with weak KO powers.

"* Wings of Icarus (WoI)(Up B) deals no damage (Why does it need to deal damage? People won't be piling up to edgehog Pit anyway, and you can attack right out of it which is very nice)."

People dont naturally edgehog Pit, they attack him out of Up-B to KO him, and attacking outta Up-B is the same effect as getting hit, so you still wont be able to use Up-B after your attack.

"* He is at the lower end of mid-weights (Pit is a reasonably heavy middleweight, if you're not GW or some other character with insane KO power you're gonna have trouble killing him until he gets to at least 110%)"

The correct description for this is really that Pit is the Middle of Middleweights, considered to be about the most middle in the game, according to something I read. However, Pit is still practically considered light, but he really isnt completely light, well not as light as Marth anyways.

"* Angel Ring (AR) has significant cooldown lag (It would be a viciously overpowered move if it had little to no cooldown lag)"

The original quote from the guide say it itself, making your statement bad. It may would have been overpowered with less lag, AND more priority, but it isnt.

"* Pit cannot wall jump or wall cling (You poor thing, you don't have a heavily situational device that you don't need it anyway)"

Poor Thing? You're serious... The guide states it itself of which Pit simply can't wall jump nor wall cling. If he did have it, perhaps he would be even better at ledgecamping, no guarantees. There are a set of abilities and each character has at least one of the following:
Crawling, Wall Jump, Wall Cling, Gliding, (there may be one that I have missed, and I dont think Donkey Kong has one of these)
As we all know, Pit has gliding, the fastest glider in the game.

"Pit is a excellent high tier character with little to no cons. I'm surprised that the guy who wrote this didn't include:

*Pit does not have a instant, spammable one-hit KO move"

Pit is still considered mid tier with the lack of his placings, though he still has a bit of potential to be a low-high tier if more Pit players place higher, which means surpressing his bad/rough matchups, including Snake, Marth and the king of broken (Meta Knight).
Pit does have some cons, but they are BIG ones that hurts Pit quite a bit, like Pit lacking good melee range allowing most of the characters to outrange him, or the "getting gimped outta Up-B" thing.
And No character has a 1-hit KO anyways

srk99

Smash Cadet
Your Guide :D

Love your Pit guide guys. I have been useing it for several days, practicing for tournements. So much stuff advance techs I didnt know about. Thank you for the info and hopefully be able to play one of you guys one day :)

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Well I read the Pros and Cons and have to say that you forget one really important thing:

He cant get CGed by either Falco, DDD or Pikachu (Not Sure about Pika but I think)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well I read the Pros and Cons and have to say that you forget one really important thing:

He cant get CGed by either Falco, DDD or Pikachu (Not Sure about Pika but I think)
Practically anyone could be CG'd by bread boy, and most against the fat penguin. This technically is common news to any Pit that knows that he weighs enough for this. Pika doesn't have that D-throw chain on Pit like he does on Fox.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Falco can chaingrab practically everyone but take peach for example. If I'm not mistaken he can only do 3 consecutive down throws so it isn't anything for her to severely worry about. IDK what he can do to pit but it probably isn't that bad.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Pit can be CG by Falco till 34-40%. He can Be Cg by D3 if the D3 Does throw down, chase, sheild grab. Thats the only way D3 can do it. As far as Pika, He can throw forward then down throw about once or twice then use uair or upsmash.

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the Falco, if they can buffer really well they can get you up to 35%. But if they don't time it absolutely perfectly you can get out of it at 25% by DIing towards them and jumping.

In any event, we might not get out of CGs as fast as Marth but I'll take getting out of a CG under 40% any day.

chacko

Smash Rookie
awesome guide - angel ring does have some (minimal) knockback since it can KO opponents with 999% damage (i haven't tried it with anything between 250 and 999, so possibly lower damage as well)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
K first i basically need to clean up the OP with some collapse coding, possibly new pictures, maybe with some color and a different organization.

Think the frame Data should be added to the attack lists? Or just the Link since it has its own thread?

Also are there threads that should have links in the OP? I could back track but there are a bunch of other stuff i could be doing that are more productive.

nuclearknife

Smash Rookie
absolutely amazing data and research guys... the only thing that could be improved were if it told you the button commands but hey you put down ALL that work so no need in being picky.

nuclearknife

Smash Rookie
for how to perform the moves as honestly i mash buttons against bots and spam the basic moves :S i need to learn teh moves and i has a used copy and training dont work which makes me mad...

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Moves meaning?

Like advance techniques? I'm not entirely sure but i think the Links at the bottom of the OP have the button commands for advance techniques.

Or just the basic Jab, Tilts, Smashes? If you dont know this i dont know what to tell you. It seems self explanatory. Jabs are just A button. Tilts are tilting the control stick and then pressing A. Smashes are well smashing, Cstick if you need to.

Also to be honest, this isn't a button mashing fighter like most can be. If you cant figure out how to play this game without button mashing, it really might not be a game for you.

Special Note:
If you have a used copy with no instruction manual, just turn on brawl and watch the introduction movie between Mario and Bowser, that should be enough. If you still dont understand it by then I have no idea what to tell you...

nuclearknife

Smash Rookie
well i know teh basics but i dont know a lot of advanced moves and strats so i just button mash until i figure out some of them... once i do there will be no point of doing it like before so thats why i asked. :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Why do these double post keep happening... Oh well.

Maybe i'll put this in the OP along with the ledge options from the discussion i started. Of course this guide probably has to be looked over again before and possibly edited before i would post it. As there are a few things i noticed i am missing in it.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
On that basic guide to advance Brawl, when you say "NEVER SPAM," please change it to something else like Watch your spam. Brawl is a game where you can "never" say "never." A lot of different things are possible in this game, and your making it sound like it's a crime to play to win. Pit's spam is very good if used properly.

Also, please do not use the word "cheap" in the guide. Cheap = good, not bad. This is Brawl and in a fighting game, one is better off being ruthless than nice if they want to win. Pit's moveset = cheap = good, especially them arrows.

Otherwise, good thread; keep it up! :O

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I'll take off the "cheap," since cheap is considered "good." Anyway its a Basic guide to advance play, which doesn't automatically mean this is the perfect thing to do. Also if you want to get into the whole mindset of doing whatever it takes to win, just go MK and be dont with it.

To be honest i dont see spam as a good thing. Generally if someone spams they are really really predictable. I dont think being predictable is a good way to play, especially as Pit since he doesn't have any really good gimmicks aside from his arrows. Unlike other characters: Diddy and his banana spam, Olimar and just everything he has, or even G&W can spam Bair and be completely safe as long as he spaces it correctly.

The guide itself is really catered to new players. And most Pit players can just get into the whole Spam of arrows or smashes. It may work against the average player, but if they run into an experienced player they will just get owned. If you're concerned about good players stopping their spam tactics because of this. It's not really something to worry about seeing as its a basic guide, and I don't expect people to follow it to heart.

Anyway thx for the input, I could change it to not be predictable, because really thats the standing behind it. As spam does cause you to be predictable.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
It's true that spam is predictable, but players like me use spam to condition opponents to believe something that's not true. I spam arrows so my opponents will approach, and I spam them to make my opponent believe that I will always do that. Once they get nearby, I grab them because they thought I would continue to arrow spam them. It just depends on the purpose of the tactic, and that's all I'm trying to help distinguish. Spam doesn't always = bad, it just depends on the purpose.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I believe there are a bunch of videos around youtube.
I remember Kupo doing a wingdash thing.
UndrDog or w/e did a little series of youtube pit stuff.

Though if someone wants to make like a new collection of ATs on video then that would be great. I would but i lack recording stuff.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Here is some raw Pit data. It would probably be good to add to the guide

[collapse="Pit Data"]

[collapse="Weight List"]

Weight List
1. Bowser (120)
2. Donkey Kong (116)
3. Snake (113)
4. King Dedede (112)
5. Charizard (110)
6. Ganondorf (109)