• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Not every one, I did mention in a couple, and you could easily be saying, "don't comment on PR stuff cause you people don't know" in a backhanded way.

Or maybe saying we need a legit PR for this.

People don't read back as far as I've noticed.
:laugh: again, it's just a joke, you mentioned it a lot:

*snip*

Now if you say the methodology of the poll was flawed and redo it in a different way (my suggestion tie it to registration and separately get the results of the already registered melee players) that addresses that concern, from a PR standpoint that looks MUCH better.

*snip*

But, from a PR standpoint, rather then tossing "will of the players" out because of a methodology issue (which makes it look like you didn't like the results), do it based on registered players.

*snip*
*snip*

Agreed, but rather then tossing aside the "will of the people" option, from a PR standpoint it's better to instead have a more useful poll, and as I suggested, tieing it to registration (with a mass email to the already registered sent to allow them to take the poll as well) is probably the most efficient option.

I'm not saying your reasoning isn't sound, I'm taking this from the Public Relations prospective.

Any time you give people a choice, and then take it away, a lot of people get extremely, moreso then if their option just loses. A LOT moreso then if their option just loses. The unfortunate result of this is that this means a signifigant drop in tournament attendance.

Understand, PRing is part of my JOB that I do for a regional organization, I understand what pisses people off and what REALLY pisses people off. This particular way of doing it REALLY pisses people off, and personally I don't mind, but I would like this to be pretty much the biggest melee/brawl tournament ever.
Understand, this isn't commenting on the RESULT, this is the I'm sorry, from the outside prospective, the way that you did it DID look arbitrary, your choice, then poll, then your choice again. And that's the real sticking point, again from a PR prospective it LOOKS bad. Same decision made using a different method wouldn't have had anywhere near the backlash.

Furthermore, I think you're underestimating the reduction, it's not so much the number of players that were firmly planning on going but said, "no". The bigger consideration is the players that were still deciding and are just gonna say, "f*** it, Plank wasn't concerned with our opinions, the tournament will probably blow anyway." That's the REAL PR concern here.

*snip*

Of course, you really don't have to be concerned, you're allowed to make moves that hurt PR if you think it's the wrong thing to do. I'm just making a point of saying what is best PR-wise.
Ok, fair enough then, if you think better to just say, "I can't please everyone" then it's fine, and honestly things like that will be more important PR-wise then this because it's a lot easier to forget with all these other things that you have (the shuttle bus thing for example looks AMAZING considering public transit in general and 64 set-ups per game... ****).

As I said, just wanted to lay it out for you cause PR is something that I do, and do well.

*snip*
*snip*

I was just concerned with PR, cause I know PR, and was giving advice on how to handle it, not which stages to pick.

*snip*

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
*still rolling*

bahahaha this whole thing is entertaining

For anyone who's been paying attention, Mr. PR, it's known that the list went from "Plank's Choice" to "okay...fine, here...vote and quit *****ing" because that's all he got, but he wanted to please "the people."

He didn't say "Okay I'm going to throw out these results because I don't like them."

But people continued to complain.

Again, he wanted to please the majority of people...he didn't choose the losing side of the poll, but instead came up with something entirely different that was as great a compromise as he could achieve...again, that was for everyone else, not his own choice or agenda.

From a PR standpoint, looks like Plank is a pretty selfless and considerate person.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
:laugh: again, it's just a joke, you mentioned it a lot:
Lol, true, though from most of the stuff you wouldn't necessarily assume PR experience, could be *gasp* theorycrafting!

But lol yea, mentioned public relations a lot.

i thought it was Puerto Rico

for a PR guy you did a pretty poor job of presenting things
Well, that wasn't public relations, that was offering advice, I wasn't trying to convince him of anything, I was letting him know that doing it in this manner was non-optimal PR-wise, that's all.

My tone would be totally different if it was swaying the general public (which is my job).

i don't know if this is a language barrier or you not reading half the posts but the point was that PR != Puerto Rico
*in marth costume with Puerto Rico accent*

For Puerto Rico!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
it was just a jab, let it go
Nah, just messin with the oversensitivity dude.

*continues*

*voice from the phone*: *sigh* Marth, how many times have I told you to stop calling me? And for the last time you're not Puerto Rician, you've already pissed off the brawlgasm fans.

*snip*

...Why was I last on the man tier?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
lol, CCing is so gay, why does crouching mean that you get to **** them for hitting you?
It gives one more way from them to **** you if they predict your actions correctly, increasing melee's depth.

Of course if they predict wrong, they end up under the stage in a perfect position to edguard.

cc gets 2 thumbs up!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I know I'm kinda late but. I was scanning the thread and I saw something about wobbling not being banned? Grats to Chu dat for winning this.......God**** I hate the IC's so much.....I want them in a GTA game so I can just Kill them and watch them bleed on the ground. Just....bash their ****ing brains out with some ****....they make me SOOOOOOOO ****ing sick to my stomach...watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV3QNpesRYo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie--h96-TJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUBcXVNhxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQrV_EnWv4M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNLLN5YGDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8jqRyUp9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eB3Km3qZPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GilIyjjOS_Y

I got plenty more....If this is what Pound 4 is turning into then that's cool but it's gonna be a boring coming out party for IC players. Understandable because the hoster is playing IC's but still...The Stage set is all starting to seem like a trap. LOL! Honestly IC's are boring. Nothing amazing about team combo's in a 1 on 1 match IMHO. GF's would be so boring with O-death grab every stock. Okay i'm done with my semi rant but still....for the sake of interest ban wobbling other wise the hype will die.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
first of all, all the recently posts I've heard say that wobbling is banned, but I'm far too lazy to check the first post, so correct me if I'm wrong.

second of all, wobbling being allowed and ICs placement don't actually tend to correlate. it's gay as balls, but it was allowed at Genesis and there were no impressive showings from IC players there, nor at countless other tournaments with legal wobbling.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
first of all, all the recently posts I've heard say that wobbling is banned, but I'm far too lazy to check the first post, so correct me if I'm wrong.

second of all, wobbling being allowed and ICs placement don't actually tend to correlate. it's gay as balls, but it was allowed at Genesis and there were no impressive showings from IC players there, nor at countless other tournaments with legal wobbling.
I saw the host say specifically that he probably wont ban it. The fact that it is banned at most events is to me the reason why their are less IC players. Not to mention Chu wasn't there. Nothing against any other IC's players but...he's the master of IC's IMO. I actually watch his matches and he shows that it's not needed.(For the record I skip every other IC's match I hat them that much.) He almost beat Mango without it. Why should you allow something that's "Gay as balls" for no reason? Could it be to screw over people with little-no IC experience? Why?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Seriously, spam arrows. Wobbling is not nearly as bad as you think. Chu dat didn't win tourneys when he was still playing regularly with wobbling allowed. Stop being over dramatic.
lol talk about being melodramatic...you just skip vids of the character entirely except for Chu?

you also mentioned "the host plays ICs"

lololol you think THAT'S why he has Nana as his avatar?

LOL @ all of this XD
well at least its drawing attention. I'm clearly lobbying for Banned of Wobbling...why are you trying to ruin it for me.:(

On a serious not The matches with Chu vs Forward were the last ones I ever watch of any IC until Revival of Melee. I seen some with Wobbles but I never finish an entire set with them. I should start watching but..I just can't finish it. They are just boring to me. I don't play against IC's ever so watching them is all the training I can really get I guess.....Either way If I run into a good IC player I'll just ragequit as soon as I get grabbed.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
eh. All I will say is IC's don't need wobbling to be good. It's just extra auto **** for people who don't have IC's experience. Basically it crushes my dreams of getting out of pools with IC's players in it.

I still say we hack melee so that Silent snake snaps Nana's neck every stock.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Seriously, spam arrows. Wobbling is not nearly as bad as you think. Chu dat didn't win tourneys when he was still playing regularly with wobbling allowed. Stop being over dramatic.
x2. Don't get grabbed.

I have always disliked playing the IC's because of their grab. Then I realized that not getting grabbed isn't out of reach and very doable. Coupled with the fact that Marth, Fox, Sheik, and Falcon all can kill nana very fast leaving a bad character left makes the IC's matchups not bad.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
if i bring my friend psyduck to this, will you implement my psyduck stage rule?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I say nay.
I just want psyduck to be top 10 in everyone's hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom