• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Technically, Red doesn't do squat in the game. (as far as we have been lead to assume) Saying Red is in Brawl is like saying Toad was in Melee because he was part of Peach's moveset, except that would have more credit than this.

Hmm... I never considered Red not being a character, but standing in the sidelines instead. Brilliant. Red would have sucked any other way.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'll admit it. This was one of those character suggestions I did not see as plausible. I was wrong. The supporters of this topic were right. PT looks impressive and has to have the most unique moveset to date.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Probably the most unsuspected and coolest character update ever.
Sakurai just blew our minds with this. We have been seriously MINDGAME'D
But yeah, I'd rather have Bulbasaur than lousy Ivysaur.

And as for alternate costumes, Pokemon trainer would change colors...
Red, Blue, Green, uhhh, you get the point. And "shiny" Pokemon. =o
Black Charizard. Oh yeah.

And legendary Pokemon are totally overrated.

Also, PT pretty much makes up for Pichu and M2.
To me anyways.

thats RED. with FIRST JEN STARTERS!!!

why aren't they capitalizing from their brand-new Pokemon game?!?
oh i so would have loved for it to be hikari with Pochama, Hayashigame, and Goukazaru! (l like japanese names! Dawn, Piplup, Grotle, Infernape) That would be soooo much better... I still LOVE the pokemon trainer character and i want to play as him!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You know what would be awesome?

Alternate costumes:

Gold with Bayleef, Typhlosion, and Totodile
Ruby with Grovyle, Blaziken, and Mudkip
Diamond with Grotle, Infernape, and Piplup

I'm not expecting it, because that seems like a lot of work, but it does seem incredibly awesome.

Plomid

Smash Ace
freeman relyy made me think..... what the hell should his final smash be???
mew????
or mew???
or maybe even mew.
god only knows and well sakurai.....that *******.
anyways HELLLLZ ****ING YEAH!!!!

Fawriel

Smash Master
It sounds awesome, but that stamina meter sounds really dumb and/or gimmicky.
It actually sounds like a good way to balance the character and make sure not only one sort of Pokemon is used. Anti-Sheikage.
Now I wonder how it works... I guess all of a Pokemon's stats decrease after it reaches a certain point of exhaustion...
OMG...what if more than one person wants to be Pokemon Trainer...what color will the pokemon be?
I'm guessing there will be more trainer models, since the name is generic and he doesn't really do much. Perfect solution, don't you think?

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
The Character isn't technically Red, it's only called Pokemon Trainer. I have reason to believe this is the guy from Firered and Leafgreen.

You know what would be awesome?

Alternate costumes:

Gold with Bayleef, Typhlosion, and Totodile
Ruby with Grovyle, Blaziken, and Mudkip
Diamond with Grotle, Infernape, and Piplup

I'm not expecting it, because that seems like a lot of work, but it does seem incredibly awesome.
There's problems with that... Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape lack wings.... Which is probably going to be implemented in charizards moves.... Also Totodile, Mudkip, and Piplup lack a shell which is probably going to be Squirtle's recovery move... also Grovyle is bipedal while the other three are not
The Character isn't technically Red, it's only called Pokemon Trainer. I have reason to believe this is the guy from Firered and Leafgreen.
the guy from firered/leafgreen IS red... >_>;

Talendime

Smash Ace
Bayleef, Typhlosion, Totodile, Grovyle, Blaziken, Mudkip,Grotle, Infernape, Piplup.
See what I mean about pokemon becoming totally ridiculous after the first 150?
I mean, what the hell?! What kind of names are those?

How do you think Red will stand by on stages like The Delfino Plaza and Rumble Falls though? Can't really get my head around that one.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I wonder what the Trainer will do on moving stages. How would he keep up if they have stages like Poke Floats in this game?

I hope his Final Smash is Dialga or something, and you get to control it for a short period of time.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Hello, Red supporters. I am Drascin. I admit that I thought you were horibly wrong, and that the mere idea of a Trainer in SSB was unworkable from the start. That the character simply couldn't be done in a non-cheesy way. In short, that the idea was completely stupid.

I have been proven wrong. I now apologize, and will proceed to eat my words.

*starts eating his old posts*

po pimpus

Smash Ace
OMG! I never, and I mean, EVER post in any Brawl threads, but this is just too f'cking insane. Sakurai is a motherf'cking genius...

The one character suggestion we ALL LAUGHED AT is now a reality... Just wow. This will take quite some time for it to sink in that the POKEMON TRAINER is a real fighter in Brawl! This announcement has convinced me once and for all that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be the greatest game Nintendo has, or ever will produce.

This is it, kids. This game will be the crowning achievement in all of Nintendo history. Fanservice has hit an all-time high. I can only imagine what his Final Smash will be...

This is it... I'm done... Totally speechless...

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I always thought that "Red" was the generic character in all of the Pokemon games you played as. Other than all the females and Brendon from Ruby/Sapphire.
And obviously, Firered and Leafgreen are upgraded versions of Red and Blue anyways.

Though to some other people, "Pokemon Trainer" seems more recognizable than "Red".

Are there any other characters that are completely "unlikely" to be added?

Shuma

Smash Hero
Thank god i never post in absurd threads...

I would've sayd no to this character, let this be a lesson to you all.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
It's not specifically the trainer from Firered or Leafgreen. Every generation of Pokemon has a new main character. Kind of like how Link isn't the same Link in every Zelda game. They called him Pokemon Trainer instead of Red so that he represents the main character in every Pokemon game and not just the first generation.

But yeah, it's basically Red, or Ash, or Pokemon Trainer, or whatever you want to call him. They're all basically the same person anyway.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Though to some other people, "Pokemon Trainer" seems more recognizable than "Red".
Besides all that, nobody has really recognized the idea posted not too far up, about the generic name being there for several "costume" changes. I happen to think that was a very good observation.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
It actually sounds like a good way to balance the character and make sure not only one sort of Pokemon is used. Anti-Sheikage.
Now I wonder how it works... I guess all of a Pokemon's stats decrease after it reaches a certain point of exhaustion...

I'm guessing there will be more trainer models, since the name is generic and he doesn't really do much. Perfect solution, don't you think?

what about free for all? all trainers?

better yet...TEAMS OF POKEMONS Yay

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The coolest thing to do would be to have the Pokemon Trainer change into different "generations" of itself for it's alternate costumes, even the females. (I know I'm not the first to come up with this in the whole hour or so that the update's come, but I really like it).

Even if Ivysaur, Charizard and Squirtle stay the same, if PT can change into all the other variations, that would be badass.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I think my mind has snapped, by the way silver777 i like your sig pic :)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The coolest thing to do would be to have the Pokemon Trainer change into different "generations" of itself for it's alternate costumes, even the females. (I know I'm not the first to come up with this in the whole hour or so that the update's come, but I really like it).

Even if Ivysaur, Charizard and Squirtle stay the same, if PT can change into all the other variations, that would be badass.
Imagine Red being one outfit, the female first gen trainer, and male and female trainers of all the other 3 gens! :) Yipee, blue charizard FTW! :)

Whoever thought of this idea was genius, and deserves to be high fived until death=awsomeness! :)

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
WHAT ABOUT TYPES OF POKEMON?

will types be taken into consideration when fighting other pokemons?

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
you are not looking so good with this update jonknight more pokemons is looking bad right now

Top Bottom