• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
you are not looking so good with this update jonknight more pokemons is looking bad right now
It probably lowers Lucarios chances a bit, but remember Lucario is probably one of the top 10 most desired characters for Brawl, as one of the 5 most desired 1st or 2nd party characters for Brawl. ;) If he doesn't make it, expect a fanbase out cry, since Pokemon D/P is set to outsell all the past Pokemon, and is estimated to become the 3rd best selling game of all-time in Japan, behind only Super Mario Bros. [1, #1] and Super Mario Bros. 3 [#2]. So that counts as something. ;)

AS for the types, I imagine they will have some effect on the game, but not that big of one. I'm out, catch you all later! -Johnknight1! :)

BlueBandanaJake

Smash Cadet
Ft. Lauderdale FL by day, Homestead FL by night
Hello, Red supporters. I am Drascin. I admit that I thought you were horibly wrong, and that the mere idea of a Trainer in SSB was unworkable from the start. That the character simply couldn't be done in a non-cheesy way. In short, that the idea was completely stupid.

I have been proven wrong. I now apologize, and will proceed to eat my words.

*starts eating his old posts*
I just wanna say...

you're awesome :)
*gives cookie*

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
A few things I wanted to point out and perhaps we could discuss:

1. He sits in the background. I'm not criticizing this (as I said I LOVE this idea. It's the best thing ever, seriously. XD), but some stages don't seem created to do that... Like what about Rumble Falls? Can the Pokemon Trainer jump? Also in Smashville will he be back there with the Animal Crossing characters? (not really important, but I thought of it.) Also on the Mario Kart stage, how is that going to work? Will the Pokemon Trainer get hit by the karts as well?

2. The Final Smash. Now we can spend all night thinking of this one. I'm guessing a legendary Pokemon. Probably from the first generation, but I could be wrong.

3. Does defeating one Pokemon lose a stock? Or does he send out another one and keep the stock until all three are gone? (this is very important, as it'd really change the game.) Also what happens to him when he loses all of his stock? Does he jump off the stage? XD

4. This one isn't so important, but in SSB we had intros. Seeing as Pokemon Trainer has to send out a Pokeball for the first Pokemon, does this mean the return of intros?

Seriously, this has me really wondering.

Some of these have already been pointed out, but others like 2. really need to be thought of I'd think.

Munchlax or Mime Jr. would be better choices to represent the 4th gen because most of it is pre-evos and evos from past gen pokemon... Plus... You already got your fierce pokemon (charizard) sooo yeah... >__>;

axi0n

Smash Apprentice

1. He sits in the background. I'm not criticizing this (as I said I LOVE this idea. It's the best thing ever, seriously. XD), but some stages don't seem created to do that... Like what about Rumble Falls? Can the Pokemon Trainer jump? Also in Smashville will he be back there with the Animal Crossing characters? (not really important, but I thought of it.) Also on the Mario Kart stage, how is that going to work? Will the Pokemon Trainer get hit by the karts as well?

2. The Final Smash. Now we can spend all night thinking of this one. I'm guessing a legendary Pokemon. Probably from the first generation, but I could be wrong.

3. Does defeating one Pokemon lose a stock? Or does he send out another one and keep the stock until all three are gone? (this is very important, as it'd really change the game.) Also what happens to him when he loses all of his stock? Does he jump off the stage? XD

4. This one isn't so important, but in SSB we had intros. Seeing as Pokemon Trainer has to send out a Pokeball for the first Pokemon, does this mean the return of intros?

Seriously, this has me really wondering.

Some of these have already been pointed out, but others like 2. really need to be thought of I'd think.
1.It would own if he was on Pidgeot
2.My guess is Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon or maybe all at the same time
3.That would be kinda cheap
4.Lets hope so.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Each pokemon lost means one stock...

It's like Sheik and Zelda, if you KO Zelda Sheik also loses a stock...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Each pokemon lost means one stock...

It's like Sheik and Zelda, if you KO Zelda Sheik also loses a stock...
For real. People, we already have most of our answers just by looking at Sheik and Zelda. The principle that applies to them probably applies with these pokemon, I'm sure.

About the only things that really need to be speculated on would be which moves the pokemon might use, and the final smash.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman

It's unimportant. Maybe he'll be on his own floating platform in the background of certain stages.

It's be awesome if you can CONTROL said legendary a la Gigabowzer.

3. Does defeating one Pokemon lose a stock? Or does he send out another one and keep the stock until all three are gone? (this is very important, as it'd really change the game.) Also what happens to him when he loses all of his stock? Does he jump off the stage?
it seems like switching works just like switching between Zelda and Sheik. If any of the 3 Pokemon lose a stock, the whole character loses a stock.

I'd assume PT would just disappear like Lala without Popo.

JPW

Smash Ace
Well who's laughing now?

i'm still confused though.

So our special moves change the character and we use normal attacks to use that Pokemon right?

This is definitely going to be one of the most unique characters and interesting Triad of them all.

I don't know how this is going to work, i'm still reading it over again and again trying to make sense of it.

Nonetheless what I can understand is that it's a neat idea. And it's going to be quite interesting to see how he benefits as a character.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Of course, it's just this character idea is so different from anything else.

The Final Smash, I don't know what'll happen. I'm still guessing on a legendary, but who knows?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The final smash could be all 3 of them performing an attack together, but I'd rather have a legendary. I was thinking Groudon at first, but then I remembered that he's already a Pokeball. Dialga or Palkia would be good.

I just realised something else. Ivysaur disproves all of the arguments people made against characters not being playable because they walk on 4 legs.

I think Pokemon Trainer pretty much proves that they can make basically anything into a playable character if they really want to.

Shuma

Smash Hero
@JPW:

You use down B to change pokemons, just like Zelda and sheik, but instead of 2, it's 3.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
What an amazing update!! Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, all playable from a single character! What a brilliant idea!!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing the Final Smash is going to be a legendary Pokemon in some form as well. I don't think they'll choose any one of the legendary birds over the other (possibility of him using all three in the smash though, I guess.) and Mewtwo's already a character. (possibility he gets reduced to being controlled in a Final Smash?) So that leaves Mew for the first generation.

Seeing as Ho-oh has importance to the anime version of Pokemon Trainer (Ash) that's a possibility I can see as well.

But I have no idea.

krynny

Smash Cadet
so how does he move? can u ever hurt Red directly, or is he always in the background?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
so how does he move? can u ever hurt Red directly, or is he always in the background?
Red is always in the background, or that's what's been shown. I doubt it'll change. Therefore PT doesn't actually get hurt, himself.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
My first guess would be that when one of his Pokemon is defeated, the Trainer would dissapear in a fashion similiar to when Nana dissapears after Popo is defeated.

Edit: I just realized that my statement had absolutely nothing to do with your questions... lol. To answer your two questions, I would guess that he either doesn't move at all, or moves around automatically, and it looks to me like he'll pretty much be in the background the entire time. We don't know what his Final Smash is yet. His Final Smash could involve him interefering with the fight, personally, in some way... Which would be kind of dumb, imo, but I see that as a possibility. His three Pokemon could each have a Final Smash... Or he could toss out a powerful legendary Pokemon of some sort, such as Mew, for a more limited period of time. I also believe that last idea to be the most likely of potential Final Smashes he could have. (As the idea of Mew being a Final Smash was suggested by Bendu.)

JPW

Smash Ace
i'm starting to get it now. Now I question the Ice Climbers, and what other characters could actually be done with this idea too.

I've always heard of a Diddy and Dixie Duo. And some people have gone as far as to mention a Kat and Ana duo(see WarioWAre Smooth Moves).

I'm questioning Ice Climbers because maybe of this unique character could they be cut(because they are no longer unique as others are proving to be), or could they still be a possibility.

It's like that argument of since Ike is in, are Marth and Roy cut?

But anyway cool character, and it's even shocking in a way. But by god why are you revealing newcomers now when you haven't even done all the veterans.

What about Falcon, Ice Climbers, Ness, Peach,
(the 4 last veterans from Melee who have the best chance of being part of the starting roster again.)

And are these newcomers we're saying hidden or are they part of the starting roster?

Blackadder

Smash Master
I dilsike this whole thing for Red Sakurai has done...this is a gimick, and a bad one at that. This will be very unbalenced, and could be potentialy mental.
I mean...just no.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Of course he stays there. Just imagine Red V.S Bowser/Ridley/Ganon not fun.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
i'm starting to get it now. Now I question the Ice Climbers, and what other characters could actually be done with this idea too.

I've always heard of a Diddy and Dixie Duo. And some people have gone as far as to mention a Kat and Ana duo(see WarioWAre Smooth Moves).

I'm questioning Ice Climbers because maybe of this unique character could they be cut(because they are no longer unique as others are proving to be), or could they still be a possibility.

It's like that argument of since Ike is in, are Marth and Roy cut?

But anyway cool character, and it's even shocking in a way. But by god why are you revealing newcomers now when you haven't even done all the veterans.

What about Falcon, Ice Climbers, Ness, Peach,
(the 4 last veterans from Melee who have the best chance of being part of the starting roster again.)

And are these newcomers we're saying hidden or are they part of the starting roster?
What about Luigi?

Anyways I don't think this disproves the IC's. Why would it?

D

Deleted member

This should have been friday's update! Now we have ****y updates to last us all week!

But this does throw everyone off course. Now everything is possible.

Was Red on Sakurai's list, by the way?

krynny

Smash Cadet
hmm, well this is a lil different from Ike (marth/roy) since Ike was also from FE. since Red is from a different series, it might mean theya re still in. tho many ppl think G&W is replaced by wario. so along those lines, maybe ice climbers are gone...

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
This should have been friday's update! Now we have ****y updates to last us all week!

But this does throw everyone off course. Now everything is possible.

Was Red on Sakurai's list, by the way?
I'm not entirely sure. I think Red was mentioned on Sakurai's list though.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I dilsike this whole thing for Red Sakurai has done...this is a gimick, and a bad one at that. This will be very unbalenced, and could be potentialy mental.
I mean...just no.
Sorry I'm not your friend anymore.

krynny

Smash Cadet
so im guessing all 3 of those pokemon are no longer summoned by a pokeball, and made way for more different/newer ones. also, is changing pokemon a way of escaping a hit? is there a lag for sending in a new one tho? if so, i cant see this char being much good at tournies.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I mean...just no.
Guy's the games not even out yet but they're broken tire, banhammer them now it's the only option.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
so im guessing all 3 of those pokemon are no longer summoned by a pokeball, and made way for more different/newer ones. also, is changing pokemon a way of escaping a hit? is there a lag for sending in a new one tho? if so, i cant see this char being much good at tournies.
it'll probably get interrupted the same way zelda/sheik does if hit in the middle of a transformation. and you're probably right about removing char/ven/blast from pokeballs. afterall, you dont see pikachu and jigglypuff come out of pokeballs.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
i dont hate the trainer being in brawl, but it just feels....wierd. Oh well, i accept him. I wonder what the hell he does when all of his stock is gone??? does he just walk off of the field? dissapppear? so many questions!!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I first was very skeptical about this idea, now I actually accept it. My reason for being skeptical about this was because I didn't wanted Red to do the fighting himself, but it seems the character is worked out very well here. As we all know, Squirtle and Charizard are very populair character suggestions here at the boards but we always doubted their inclusion to the roster didn't we? Atleast, I didn't wanted to see a Squirtle or Charizard (or Ivysaur lol >_<) playable cause there where better character choices than them, but the way they're in now is awesome!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Guy's the games not even out yet but they're broken tire, banhammer them now it's the only option.
...what?

If anything, I can see them in bottom tier due to the forced switching between movesets and the fact that there's some lag when switching which will let opponents just stand there waiting for the new one to come out while charging a smash.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
First impression of Pokemon Trainer is, I hope he is not broken and the changes are quick so in a one-on-one fight doesn't take long. This is probably the WTF character mainly because of Pokemon Change. Mostly everyone speculated if he was in, he would be on the field.

Also, I would have liked Bulbasaur, but Ivysaur is practically the same ><

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think the final smash will depend on the Pokemon out. For example, Squirtle could use Hydro Cannon, Ivysaur could use Frenzy Plant, and Charizard can use Blast Burn.

M.K

Level 55
Post Above is True!

Well, this was...awesome...totally. Kiss my *** all those people who didn't think we was in! Dude, I mean, he looks fun to play as. How would he "Stand in the background" on stages like rumble falls?

OH, this looks fun as well! Can't wait to try him out :D

Top Bottom