• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I love how by your logic the character is either "Broken" or "total crap." The stamina is there to prevent the character from being broken without limiting the forms to make them completely comparable with each other (being equal parts competitive against the same characters, one not having distinct advantages of the other.)

Why can't the character just be "Balanced?"
It won't necessarily be "balanced" because there's no way to make 2 characters exactly equal without them being the exact same. What he was saying is that it depends on how much of an effect stamina will have on game play. If it has little to no effect, people will just find the Sheik out of the pokemon, or the counterpick for their opponent. And if one of them does in fact turn out to be as good as Sheik is in melee relative to the rest of the cast, it could be broken. Now, if stamina has a huge effect, it will force people to change from the Sheik to the Zelda of the pokemon from time to time, which could be worse than just staying as Zelda in melee.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I just though of this, will you be able to change pokemon once you're in the air. Say squirtle is falling so you want to change to charizard cause he can fly. Would you be able to?

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
I have a feeling Trainer is going to suck hard, but will be one of those characters that is hard to get good at so people use it for that reason.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
This is severely, truly messed up. I mean, interesting concept with the three different characters in one, but I just don't see it working out.

I sense that I have a new punching bag. :D

Hejiru

Smash Ace
OMG, i swear I was thinking about this same idea the other day. the only difference was instead of the trainer in the background, I had him throw Pokeballs, and a random pokemon came out, following the trainer like the Ice Climbers sort of.

I didn't post it, because I thought later, "No, that's a dumb idea, they'll never do it." Apparently, I was wrong! :)

Cool! I'm definately going to be him. I guess its like Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Blastiose are the characters, you can just switch between them, since he dosen't actually fight.

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
I said human trainers wouldn't appear (manually fighting anyway) and look now.
I stand corrected.

This is just too awesome, can't wait to take him for a spin.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
It won't necessarily be "balanced" because there's no way to make 2 characters exactly equal without them being the exact same. What he was saying is that it depends on how much of an effect stamina will have on game play. If it has little to no effect, people will just find the Sheik out of the pokemon, or the counterpick for their opponent. And if one of them does in fact turn out to be as good as Sheik is in melee relative to the rest of the cast, it could be broken. Now, if stamina has a huge effect, it will force people to change from the Sheik to the Zelda of the pokemon from time to time, which could be worse than just staying as Zelda in melee.
That's what makes the stamina balanced. Since Sheik was a really good character that many felt was broken, and Zelda was mediocre by comparison. So knowing you have to eventually switch and utilize all aspects of the character will be balanced, if done right.

Also, you seem to have completely missed my point cause I mentioned that there was no way to make the characters truly balanced unless they basically had the exact same effectiveness on every other character. Which you basically repeated in your post.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
I think it's awesome. Think of it as a new pokemon character fighting, but you can change, like Zelda/Sheik can change.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I want to see DainBramaged's reaction.

Waluigi, Mii and Blaziken CONFIRMED!!

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
WHAT. THE. F*CK. This is what ran through my mind when I saw that. I never,NEVER thought Pokemon Trainer would get in(and neither did anyone else),but with these three pokemon,it truly looks awesome!

Also,between this and the Asssist Trophies my character predictions are now screwed up beyond repair....

Wreked

Smash Lord
I was thinking of that too hejiru, I don't know probaly not but i'm sure another fire pokemon would replace his flamethrower. Maybe Blaziken?

SmashWhammy

Smash Cadet
You are referring to ASH's charizard. This isn't Ash's charizard. This is trainer from the games, not Ash from the anime.
No, :006: was one of the pokemon in a :item9: in the last two SSB games, so what the question is asking is, will a new pokemon replace :006: in the :item9:?

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Trainer =/= Ash.
In many cases the trainer from the original games has been reinforced as Ash in subsequent games. The remake/special edition of the original games (Yellow) was based on the anime and featured the generic character name "Ash" instead of "Red" (Red being accepted as the generic name for the Red/Blue protagonist, with Blue being the rival.) Also, in Gold/Silver at the end of the game the final fight is with the original R/B trainer, who goes by the name "Red" and uses all three starters along with Pikachu. Sounds like he's heavily based on Ash to me.

Red and Ash are basically different names for one character. And the Pokemon Trainer is modeled after Red.

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
Ok I failed to see the part that they share the same damage meter.

Which in itself sounds kind of dumb, but the only way to make it practical I guess.
And including the stamina bar shows that Sakurai is serious about keeping the game in balance

Wreked

Smash Lord
I'm just going to call this new character ash. He looks like ash. Or i'll call him PT for short.

On topic do you guys think there will be a female PT. Not as a new character but as a costume change. I think that it would be cool if she had different pokemon like the three starters form fourth generation.

Probaly Empleon, Grotle, and Chimcar. Or something of that order.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
wow i laughed so hard when i saw todays update.....first off hes looks to be pretty fun and second off i laugh at all the people who completly bashed Red from the start ^^ HES IN!!!!! (or atleast his pokemon)

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to call this new character ash. He looks like ash. Or i'll call him PT for short.

On topic do you guys think there will be a female PT. Not as a new character but as a costume change. I think that it would be cool if she had different pokemon like the three starters form fourth generation.

If the Pokemon were to change with the costume, I'm almost positive that the evolution choices would stay the same for the types. Meaning that it would probably be Piplup, Grotle, and Infernape. Which is better because Chimchar is totally lame, while Infernape is awesome, and Empoleon is pretty lame, and Piplup isn't.

But I doubt they'd do that unless they were going to include all 4 sets of starters (I would be completely in love with this game if they did that.) And I find that highly unlikely.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

Just call him Ash. I mean he looks so much like him, not to mention Red, who Ash was based on.

I mean look at tirkaro's Sig.

Top Bottom