• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I wonder... about color changes....

What will it look like? Will the Trainer change? Will the pokemon's color change?

Will the blue color look like this?

Or will he switch to a female trainer?

OHHH! So many possibilities!

Wreked

Smash Lord
Three legendaries come out and do what? Plus if it was going to be three legendaries, they would no doubt choose the Three Legendary Birds (how random would it be if he just threw out freakin' Mewtwo, Celebi, and Lugia or something). Since it's first gen. Which would mean removing three more Pokeball Pokemon.

I personally would want the legendary Pokemon for the Smash to be Ho-Oh. Since Ho-Oh is actually a pretty notable Pokemon in relation to the anime at least.

Also, he's way cool.
Why would you want to know what they would do? They could do so much. Yeah the three legendary birds make sense. Zapdos could well zap everybody. The Moltres goes around touching everybody so they burn. And Articuno would then cool down Molters's attack by freezing them.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I can't believe the op called this character...
I never even toyed with the notion of playing as the pokemon trainer. It's gonna be a trip, to say the least.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Why would you want to know what they would do? They could do so much. Yeah the three legendary birds make sense. Zapdos could well zap everybody. The Moltres goes around touching everybody so they burn. And Articuno would then cool down Molters's attack by freezing them.
Because three big birds all flying around and doing stuff in a Final Smash sounds a little bit too big if you know what I mean. Most of the Final Smashes aren't that extreme. Imagine if you took the three Pokeball versions of the legendary birds and put them all on the screen at the same time. That's a big Final Smash.

Edit: Also, Rayquaza sucks. The most notable legendaries I can think of are Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, Arceus, Manaphy, and Celebi. Unless you were going to have a trio of legendaries. In which case I would say it'd be the Legendary Birds, the Dogs, or the Regis. (More than likely the Birds.)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Oh sure, now you start discussing moves. *sigh*

I'll copy my movesets from the locked thread.

The different fighters:

Now this is where it gets interesting.
You have three starters from all three evolutionary phases.
If you went by the game, this would mean that Squirtle ain't got NOTHING on Charizard, who is completely evolved.
That is, unless their levels are radically different.
My guess is that it will be more like in the anime, where being evolved or not just kinda doesn't seem to be as important.
Chances are that all three Pokemon are, disregarding what will happen on the tournament level, balanced.

So what will their different strengths be? Squirtle's strength would usually be defense, but he's obviously lighter than Charizard, right?
Sakurai will have to be creative.
Here's my theories.

·Squirtle will be the balanced one. A combo artist.
He's shown next to Mario, which seems like a good comparison.

Look at the little guy's build.
He's compact and has short limbs. He also has a shell, which he's been known to withdraw into like a certain other turtley guy we know.
I believe that Squirtle's short limbs will allow him to strike with very quick attacks with medium strength, although it probably means he has a rather short reach.

Since Pokemon have rather little to work with in the games, the anime will probably be consulted as well. But it doesn't take an anime, I think, to realize that Squirtle seems rather bouncy. I think he will have decent aerial mobility and a very quick and overall good aerial game for edgeguarding and the like.

So all in all, I see Squirtle as the solid good-for-all Mario-type character who can combo well but usually relies on edgeguarding. He's also bound to have at least one projectile.

Here's some potential B moves for him:

^B: Rapid Spin
Self-explanatory. More vertical than Bowser's, light sideways knockback and a single hit only.

B: Bubble
A weak multi-hit thing somewhat like the Icies Blizzard or maybe Bowser's firebreath, but with somewhat different qualities overall.

>B: Water Gun
A projectile. Being water, this attack should deal little damage, but good knockback.

POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH: Hydro Pump
We don't know whether each of these guys has an own FS, but it's a possibility.
Judging by the anime, Squirtle's Hydro Pump consists of him withdrawing into his shell and spinning while spewing water REALLY hard.

·Ivysaur will be a unique one. A trickster with great range, some random strong attacks and projectiles. Like Samus or Link!

He's seen running in the screenshot. Note how this is a quadruped being. In terms of mobility, I expect him to have a relatively fast dash on the ground, but to be a lousy jumper. No aerial combat for this one.

However, everyone who plays the games or knows the anime knows what sorts of tricks grass-type Pokemon have.
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur's pre-evolution, is known for Vine Whip, a whip attack with very long range, Razor Leaf, a leaf projectile with great critical hit rate and Solar Beam, a powerful move that requires charging up.
All these are bound to appear in the moveset, and I expect Vine Whip to be quite integral to the moveset as a whole. Thus my prediction that Ivysaur will be known for Marth-like range, albeit with far less power.
And can you say "extended grab"?

So all in all, Ivysaur is apt to be a fighter with a lot of tricks up his sleeve. With grass-type Pokemon, the possibilities are endless. Vine Whips for tilts. Status-affecting specials. Projectiles. And so on.

Possible B-moves:

^B: Sleep Powder
Like Jiggly, Ivysaur will attempt to put his foes to sleep by spewing sleep powder out of his bud. This is slower than Jiggly's Sing, but has greater range.
Instead of using this to recovery, Ivysaur will use his extended Vine Whip grab to grab the edge by using Z in the air, like Link and Samus.

>B: Razor Leaf
A relatively powerful projectile with a somewhat irregular movement pattern. Also gives him a tiny bit more distance if used in the air, to aid recovery.

B: Leech Seed
Ivysaur will shoot out small seeds at random angles. If an enemy is hit by these, the seeds will pop open and grow into vines that quickly grow across the victim until they disappear soon afterwards. The victim will have 1% of damage dealt at the most three times over a period of about 5 seconds, each time with light stun time that allows Ivysaur to move in for an attack and to interrupt their combos.
Seeds that fall on the ground will still spread and make the ground harder to walk on for a moment.

POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH: Solar Beam
Ivysaur collects sunlight in his bud for moment.
When he's done, the energy shoots out again skywards, then, after a short moment of silence, several beams shoot randomly all over the stage.

·What's left to say, Charizard will be the powerhouse in this trio.

Despite being very fast in the games, chances are this will not be the case here.
As seen in the screenshot, Charizard moves on his hind legs on the ground. Since he's not likely to suddenly start sliding, this will make him very immobile on the ground and consequently even slower than Bowser.
However, being a flying dragon, his aerial movement speed might make up for this.
Still, his movements will probably be clumsy and slow, which he'll have to make up for with some brute strength, range and his fiery breath.
And smooth looks. Oooh yeah.

^B: Fly
True to the HM, Charizard will fly upwards into the sky a great distancy... however, this doesn't help his recovery as much as it may seem, as he can't grab the edge while going up.
He slants backwards, then does a looping at the apex of his flight, to strike back down at a great speed. As he comes close to the point where he left off, he starts flying horizontally for a relatively long distance. The energy used in this change of direction after the momentum of the downward dash deals some heavy damage and knockback to anyone stupid enough to not make way for the dragon.
It's a mediocre move for recovery, but being so heavy and fast in the air with several jumps already, that's all he needs.

>B: Flamethrower
Good old flamethrower. Nice for edgeguarding. Unlike Bowsers, Charizard's can be used in the air a little longer if you use his momentum right, which lets you play fighter jet. \o_

B: Heat Wave
Charizard stands in place, stomps on the floor and growls, then makes a wave of heat surround him. Takes a bit to perform, but deals some really nice damage ( not a lot of knockback, though ).

FINAL SMASH AND STUFF: Blast Burn
Charizard is the only one of the three who can actually use his superduper attack.
I don't actually know what it does.
My guess would be that he creates a massive pillar of fire around himself that deals quite awesome damage AND knockback, for the trade-off of being harder to hit with than the other two.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Just because the trainer can use the 3 starters doesn't mean that he needs to have 3 legends too. I think it will be just one which excludes the 3 birds/dogs/regis and fairies.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
So... Pokemon Trainer is a new character...?

If this means no new pokemon...

Although, I must admit, Charizard does look way more badass than in the other games.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I wonder... about color changes....

What will it look like? Will the Trainer change? Will the pokemon's color change?

Will the blue color look like this?

Or will he switch to a female trainer?

OHHH! So many possibilities!
The costume change will most likely be a change in trainer. The pokemon would turn to shiny, dark, and whatever else there is.

The trainers would be the default one, an ash looking one, a brock, and two random female. Probaly misty and somebody else.

Sky-Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
Blooming 'eck! I never saw this one comming. Ever since 64, ive always wanted one of the first three starters or there evolutions from Red and Blue to be playable, so if you guessed, this really made my day.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Because three big birds all flying around and doing stuff in a Final Smash sounds a little bit too big if you know what I mean. Most of the Final Smashes aren't that extreme. Imagine if you took the three Pokeball versions of the legendary birds and put them all on the screen at the same time. That's a big Final Smash.
Okay then he could alternate. Have one go out, cause some quick damage. Call him/her back in. Send out the next one.

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
Having a pokémon trainer (one of the protagonists) is a horrible idea. Why? Nobody would care unless they were Ash because he at least has an anime to his name. And there'd be no moves.
YOU JUST GOT OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. OWNED.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Okay then he could alternate. Have one go out, cause some quick damage. Call him/her back in. Send out the next one.
That would take hell of a long time and even though Sakurai said the game would be slower than Melee, I doubt he will make it be that slow.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Just because the trainer can use the 3 starters doesn't mean that he needs to have 3 legends too. I think it will be just one which excludes the 3 birds/dogs/regis and fairies.
That would be the PT's final smash. Yeah I will agree with you one would make a lot more sense, but it would have to be a pretty good attack.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
This is awesome. I would love to see costumes for Red, Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, May, Brenden and Dawn and whoever the guy in D/P is. And when I say Yellow, Gold and Silver, I'm talking more about the manga versions, cause Yellow's just a redesign of Red in the game, and I think from memory Gold and Silver are the same character design in their games too.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who wants Ho-Oh for his Final Smash? Because that'd just be sweet.

Or actually, you could just give Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard the elemental Hyper Beams and be done with it.

But still, if it was Ho-Oh I would play with this character non-stop.

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
The costume change will most likely be a change in trainer. The pokemon would turn to shiny, dark, and whatever else there is.

The trainers would be the default one, an ash looking one, a brock, and two random female. Probaly misty and somebody else.
Sakurai said no anime characters. It'll most likely just toggle through some of the trainers from various games...

Wreked

Smash Lord
Sakurai said no anime characters. It'll most likely just toggle through some of the trainers from various games...
Oh yeah forgot about that. That's probaly why this character is PT not ash. But yeah random trainers from games would make more sense... Oh wait wasn't Ash the trainer in Yellow?

what about kirby? will he be able to absorb the three pokemon?
Probaly each one individually.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
This is sweet. I didn't think there would be a Pkmn Trainer. To be honest I thought it was a ridiculous idea. (I just didn't want to be a n00b) I'm guessing they won't respawn in the same way.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Maybe instead of the trainer having a final smash, each pokemon does. Like, Squirlte gets a Smash Ball and uses Hydro Pump.

Oh! You know what's they'll probably call them if tthey do that? Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, and Blast Burn, like in the games.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I sort of like the idea of a trainer... I always thought we needed 1 in melee(That fought you) I would like to see Red defeat the almighty gannondorf... Haha that would be sick...I wouldn't really mind if they put another trainer in here with different pokemon... Now that i think about it... Its a really cool idea

Wreked

Smash Lord
Maybe instead of the trainer having a final smash, each pokemon does. Like, Squirlte gets a Smash Ball and uses Hydro Pump.

Oh! You know what's they'll probably call them if tthey do that? Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, and Blast Burn, like in the games.
I hope that Sakurai gives us PT's final smash this week. Probaly wednesday. Tommorow being Pokemon Stadium

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
This is going to be my main for sure. Best update ever. Who else wants to main PT?

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah forgot about that. That's probaly why this character is PT not ash. But yeah random trainers from games would make more sense... Oh wait wasn't Ash the trainer in Yellow?
I don't think so... Yellow was just based on the anime, it didn't neessarily have the same guy (I remember Ash talking a lot more). It wouldn't really matter if it was him in Yellow, because Ash would still primarily be an anime character. He couldn't be in for the same reason characters like Naruto couldn't be in.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
I always thought Blaziken would be awesome in Smash Bros. So what about Brenden? He could have Blaziken, Marshtomp and Treecko.

Top Bottom