• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
................. Stop being such a wiseass about it. >_________________________>

And it never said anything about an extra stock after all of your pokemon are gone.
It didn't have to, because PT can't fight. He is in the background for the match, so obviously there won't be an extra stock.

To be perfectly clear: If you lose Squirtle, you lose the Charizard and Ivysaur that was on that health meter and that stock as well. Just like if you lose Sheik, you lose that Zelda. By association, you lose that PT, and you start over with a new PT and a new team.

Wooooooow.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
Possibly. But I doubt it majorly. C'mon, it's WORSE than having IC's. Three chars, that's just over the top, AND completely tourney ILLEGAL.
how will they not be tourney legal? were ics tourney illegal?, no. good char for low tier players you'll really have to know ur stuff to play competitively.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I'll do my best to argue why I think Red belongs in Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

If you look at the list of characters in SSBM, you'll see that most of them are playable in their own games. Mario, Link, Donkey Kong...you are the one controlling them as they go on their adventures. There are some characters like Ganondorf who are never playable, but we'll ignore him. >>;

Then we get to Pokemon. The four playable characters Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are playable in a sense in their own game. When you think about the actual story though, the trainer is the one who calls the shots and tells the Pokemon what to do and how to react against the enemy. Like Link in a Zelda game, there is a character who represents you. Focusing on the first Pokemon games Pokemon Red/Green (Blue), we will call this character Red.

He's an 11 year old boy who left his home to become a Pokemon Master. He goes through any length to capture Pokemon. He'll fish for them. He'll ride his bike through grass. He'll go into the Safari Zone and lure them with candy or hit them with rocks. Whatever it takes, in the end he reaches his goal in the final showdown with his rival at the Indigo Plateau, and he uses his well trained Pokemon to reach his goal. Then in the Gold/Silver/Crystal games, you face him in Mt. Silver. Silent as always, he takes you on...and when he loses, he disappears to take you on another day.

Why do I think Red should be in SSBB? Well, for one...this year is Pokemon's 10th anniversary in Japan. I think he'd be the perfect character to celebrate such an occassion with. Red/Green were the games that started it all, and Red was the trainer you journeyed as.

I'm sure your next thought is, "Why would he be playable? He doesn't even fight, and the story doesn't call for it." That is also true, but there are characters in SSBM that never really fought and made their way in. I'm looking at you Peach, Zelda and Mr. Game and Watch (at the time SSBM was released, these characters didn't really fight).

Now the next problem, how would Red fight? Many suggest that by using Pokeballs, he would be overpowered. Not a problem. Just have him throw Pokeballs that don't open. It could be a projectile. Forward B could Red riding on his bike and tackling into the enemy. Up + B could be a Pidgeot helping him up with Fly for a little while. Down + B could be similar to Peach's counter, with Red holding out an item like a Poke Doll. Red's throw can be done with the fishing rod.

I'm just using quick examples, and I know there are many that can come up with better ones. Red could be a long range character, having fixed Pokemon for his moveset attack for him. As a tradeoff, Red could have lag and be a lightweight character. Yes, another lightweight character for the Pokemon series does suck, but he is a human and Mewtwo should have been heavy in the first place.

I apologize for the long post, but I feel that Red would be a great Pokemon character to add into SSB:B. On a final note, I am talking about the hero of the games, not Ash Ketchum from the Pokemon anime. Ash, although based off Red, originates in the anime, and he does not belong in the game.

Now I look forward to your thoughts and ideas!
first off: peach fought in the game (who's name i can't recall) that was remade into super mario advance. there she could do everything mario did with the addition of floating. zelda doesn't fight persay, but she uses magic to weaken ganon/ganondorf so that link can take him down. plus, less importantly, she was holding a wicked awesome sword when she surrendered in TP (WOOT).

the gripe i have with pokemon trainer is that 1. you can't continue to only use one pokemon, 2. the exchange between pokemon might be really laggy, and 3. using pokemon to fight is like setting guard dogs on someone. it's so cowardly for someone just to stand on the sidelines while mario and the rest are out there taking punches, kicks, sword slashes, and (in mr. falcon's case) knees to the head. it really doesn't seem to fit in smash...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You are delusional...ICs are completely different from this. You use one at a time. ICs aren't tourney illegal anyway...and this won't be either. That'd just be flatout dumb. And it's all about balance, man.
Well it said that all 3 pokemon share the same Stanima. Plus when you have 3 different ways to play all 3 pokemon are gonna be good in some way but everything else about them will suck. Infact when you have stanima you can chain throw them and they're distance wont go any higher, I even tested it out just yesterday on Melee. If its still the same that means you can chain throw the Pokemon(That is if you can in the first place) to death without them escaping.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Well I say stick the trainer as a way to use Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur.

The 3 Pokemon would attack for him(all his A moves)

Neutral B would use ether Ember, Water Gun or Leech Seed, depending on the Pokemon out.
Down+B would switch between the Pokemon
Up+B would send a Pidgey carrying him up with the pokemon holding on
Smash+B would have the Pokmon use a charging attack
uh, wow. From 2006. Does this guy work for Sakurai?

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Why does everyone hate this update? I'm not completely crazy about Red being in Brawl myself, but think of what it means. Sakurai wouldn't have put RED in unless he had already put in a bunch of more important characters that he wanted to see in Brawl too (i.e. Ridley, Olimar, Diddy, Wolf, etc.).
I personally love this update.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
welll the boy cant fight. If I couldnt fight I would do the same thing. they dont fight in their game respectively. they leave that to the Pokemon themselves. so i dont see why that should have changed. I like this update. Im thinking that when on a scrolling stage he is going to be in the air with the help of a flying pokemon and can throw the pokeballs from there. because I doubt he could keep up any other way.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I'll admit that I wasn't so happy with this update. I thought it was Sonic, really. I do want to try this guy out, but I'm not going to main him. Besides, it's not like this guys going to be broken with his pokemon since it looks like the pokemon he has have different strengths and weaknesses. They have the same damage meter and have a stamina meter, so you have to wise when using him.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Maybe his final smash could be he throws out a bunch of Pokeballs at one time, and they all randomly summon different things.

Or maybe he gets on his bike and runs people down.

Or maybe Squirtle, Charizard, and Ivysaur each have their own final smash.

Or maybe it's Snorlax. I think Ash uses Snorlax on the show, and I remember Red having Snorlax when you fight him in the Gold/Silver versions.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I wonder what Kirby will look like when he steals their abilities, and what move will he get? I'm assuming he'll get a different hat/move depending on which Pokemon he swallows.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I used to joke about having a Poke Trainer, never saw it coming though...And somehow they actually made it "cool"

I love this game lol
What about altern costumes?

Purple Charizard!!!
You mean ridley right. Purple charizard=Ridley. Expect faster and skinnier.

StevenM

Smash Apprentice
OH COME ON. The Pokemon Trainer walks by behind pikachu. -.- you guys are dense.
You're the one who's dense.

1) 50 seconds, not 40 seconds. Where he's balancing on the Poke Ball in the middle of the street.

2) A pair of legs walk by, which could be anyone.

But wait, PokeMon Trainer is the only person on the planet who wears navy-blue jeans, amirite?

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
I'd prefer the protagonist from Ruby/Sapphire over Red (was his name Ruby? hahaha). He looks about 10x cooler and no one would confuse him with Ash (whose character model was based off of Red, hat and all). He could even have a green costume from Emerald.

But using the super rod is a stroke of genius. Empty Pokeballs would be good projectiles (or even rocks from the safari zone). They could work sort of like Peach's turnips. Pokeballs would be the standard, but you have chances of pulling Great balls, Ultra balls, and ultimately the Master ball (which would be equivilent to the "death veggie" of peach). Some A attacks could involve whips with the super rod.

That could actually work out really well, and people who are whining about no more playable Pokemon couldn't b****.

If people don't think he was meant to fight, I have two words for you. Captain Falcon.
he's name is brendan

pouskie

Smash Rookie
PT is a really cool and original new character. I only hope they keep a few secrets SECRET and let us find them while playing the game.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
*loud, slow clap for the creator of this thread*

Good Job.

Now predict the release date being pushed to September 1st.

Edit: 2007, September of 2007. Hoo boy, that might have sucked...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I wonder what Kirby will look like when he steals their abilities, and what move will he get? I'm assuming he'll get a different hat/move depending on which Pokemon he swallows.
I didn't even think about this, but it's an interesting question. I think this will be interesting to see, too. You bring up some good points, but people around here are still trying to get over the shock...

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
I'm still waiting for Dain Bramiged to see the update...Heheheh.
He was SO wrong it's not even funny...Oh, wait. YEAH IT IS!!! Hahahahah
ummm, I already did...like, pages ago.....if your to lazy to read, lemme quote it for you..

O.o

O........M.........G........

NO.......F'N.......WAY

This is MADDNESS! >_<

kk...as it seems theres already been like at least THREE "i want to see Dain's responce" posts already....i've got some explaining to do...

kk...here it goes...

first off.....by some freak of nature turn of events...Red is in Brawl as a PC....meaning I was wrong...I still don't know how it happened, but Red is a PC >_<

but o a small credit to myself, most of my arguments stand still to reason....like I said said countless time, stuff like "Red can't fight, he just hides behind his pokemon, meaning he will not be playable"....I was partially right, it really isn't him fighting....like always, he just hides behind his pokemon...not really the centralized character...

but what I didn't see coming......was that someone could still be a PC.....without actually fighting (does that sound f'd up enough) you can't really blame me...I mean, Red's playstyle, is one that has NEVER been implemented into smash before....switching between three characters...NOBODY ever though of that >_>

I'm not saying I am all "Mr. Right" here....Red is in (ouch) and I was wrong....I accept that....

BUT...what I said many a times before is true....Red dosn't fight....he hides behind his pokemon......I just failed to see how sakurai could turn something like THAT into a character....

in all....in a sad twist of fate....I have to..."adjust" my sig a bit....and I force out an apology to all Red supoorters ( sorry ) ....however the F*#% this happened...I don't know...

ths update...is DainBramaging.....Red is PC ( O.o) ....the only small tad of remorce I get.....is that Charizard is playable (always wanted, though doubted charizard).....just never thought he'd be implemented this way.......

>_< and the other sad part....I can't even beat the $*^% out of Red for my revenge.....as he just stands there......taunting you during battle (time for a stage like......big blue?)

enjoy my screwed uo sig :(...........I was wrong >_<

Edit~....this proves that Sakurai really is going all out on Brawl.....>_<

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I'm still thrilled about this update. I really wanted some water-type and grass-type attacks. I think seeing these in the game will be awesome...

I don't love Pokemon, but I love originality in movesets, and so far, this one takes the cake...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I notice people talking about all the moves each pokemon will have assigned to the B button.

...Um, because of this, all three pokemon also are gonna get A attacks, Smash attacks, aerial attacks, and even THROWS!

*Imagines Ivysaur throwing people around with his Vine Whip, or holding weapons with Vine Whip.*

Oh and...

NYAH NYAAAH!!! to all the naysayers.

Oh I only hope Ridley's day comes, because the snapback will be at least 5 TIMES as strong if he becomes a PC.
Then again, if he becomes an AT (dreadfully lousy idea) or worse, boss-only (probably won't happen now due to this game's story mode), us Ridley supporters will never hear the end of it. e_e

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Oh I only hope Ridley's day comes, because the snapback will be at least 5 TIMES as strong if he becomes a PC.
Then again, if he becomes an AT (dreadfully lousy idea) or worse, boss-only (probably won't happen now due to this game's story mode), us Ridley supporters will never hear the end of it. e_e
He will get his day...some day. And none of those things will happen. I can go into detail and tell you why, but I won't do it here.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
To be honest, I've always wanted a water based moveset (not specifically a pokemon one, just in general), and I've always liked Squirtle and it's evolutions (same goes for Bulbasaur and Charmander really), so that alone makes this update worth it imo. The fact that we get a grass type (completely new to smash in terms of playable characters) and a fire type (granted we've had fire users before, but new to the pokemon franchise rep) just makes it better.

Though I'm wondering how Sakurai will deal with moveset updates regarding Pokemon trainer, seeing as there are 3 to go through. Will he show all 3 pokemon in one update or just keep it separate. Not to mention we already know what the down-b move is, so could it be possible he shows the other 3 moves rather than just 2?

Top Bottom