• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Brawl just got MUCH cooler.

I was really surprised by this update. A new character so soon but this character of all....but it works.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
O.o

O........M.........G........

NO.......F'N.......WAY

This is MADDNESS! >_<

kk...as it seems theres already been like at least THREE "i want to see Dain's responce" posts already....i've got some explaining to do...

kk...here it goes...

first off.....by some freak of nature turn of events...Red is in Brawl as a PC....meaning I was wrong...I still don't know how it happened, but Red is a PC >_<

but o a small credit to myself, most of my arguments stand still to reason....like I said said countless time, stuff like "Red can't fight, he just hides behind his pokemon, meaning he will not be playable"....I was partially right, it really isn't him fighting....like always, he just hides behind his pokemon...not really the centralized character...

but what I didn't see coming......was that someone could still be a PC.....without actually fighting (does that sound f'd up enough) you can't really blame me...I mean, Red's playstyle, is one that has NEVER been implemented into smash before....switching between three characters...NOBODY ever though of that >_>

I'm not saying I am all "Mr. Right" here....Red is in (ouch) and I was wrong....I accept that....

BUT...what I said many a times before is true....Red dosn't fight....he hides behind his pokemon......I just failed to see how sakurai could turn something like THAT into a character....

in all....in a sad twist of fate....I have to..."adjust" my sig a bit....and I force out an apology to all Red supoorters ( sorry ) ....however the F*#% this happened...I don't know...

ths update...is DainBramaging.....Red is PC ( O.o) ....the only small tad of remorce I get.....is that Charizard is playable (always wanted, though doubted charizard).....just never thought he'd be implemented this way.......

>_< and the other sad part....I can't even beat the $*^% out of Red for my revenge.....as he just stands there......taunting you during battle (time for a stage like......big blue?)

enjoy my screwed uo sig :(...........I was wrong >_<

Edit~....this proves that Sakurai really is going all out on Brawl.....>_<

Fawriel

Smash Master
I can't believe my thread about the Pokemon's moves got closed for this thread. There's barely any discussion going on...
*big sigh*

Hejiru, that's next to impossible. It's possible that you'll be able to turn the Trainer into Brendan, but the Pokemon he has are all completely different. It would not only mean that he'd have to have different models, their movesets would have to be different. That's... not going to happen.

And in a way, the people who said it won't happen were right.
I don't see the Trainer fighting anyone...
So many of the points saying why he shouldn't be in were apparently recognized by Sakurai.

Retrospectively, I was pretty close with my idea that you should be able to select one of the playable Pokemon and optionally a trainer to go with it that sends out the Pokemon and is seen in the victory screens and all.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
lol ya i wonder how red's gona sit in a stage like big blue or pokefloats it'll be wierd.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I'm sort of happy he is in. For one reason it means there probably won't be anymore pokemon. The seceond reason is that it basically contains three characters in one.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So how is this going to work. Will he be banned from tournament play? Or will he be Low Tier?

-Do you play as the Pokemon
-Do you get pokemon depending on stock or not
-How much Stanima will they have
-How will you play as Red in Story Mode
-If you can play as the Pokemon would they be any good

Wreked

Smash Lord
I'm sort of happy he is in. For one reason it means there probably won't be anymore pokemon. The seceond reason is that it basically contains three characters in one.
I think this means there isn't going to be anymore first gen pokemon. Sorry Jiggs and Mewtwo lovers.:(

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
ya most likely he'll float i guess its a compensation...have to give the people what they want :D...NOW BRING IN MARTH!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
So how is this going to work. Will he be banned from tournament play? Or will he be Low Tier?

-Do you play as the Pokemon
-Do you get pokemon depending on stock or not
-How much Stanima will they have
-How will you play as Red in Story Mode
-If you can play as the Pokemon would they be any good
You suck. Can you read? Just read the update and figure it out, dude. It's not hard.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think this means there isn't going to be anymore first gen pokemon. Sorry Jiggs and Mewtwo lovers.:(
I think you're wrong. I think this means there will only be playable 1st gens...I see Pika, Jiggs, M2 and Squirtle/Charizard/Ivysaur being it. I'd be really happy with that outcome, too.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
U idiot. Jiggs and Mewtwo will still be in. The pokemon that Red has are just your regualr everyday Pokemon. Jiggs kind of had her own mini-series and Mewtwo was in his own movie tho. If anything Pichu would go b4 those 2.

Jiggs and Mewtwo will remain their own characters >_>

And Bendu.....stfu...

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
ya the story mode has a line so red mite be interactive in cutscenes but surely the play will be same as in vs mode. it fits in.

he'll most likely be low tier.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
And Bendu.....stfu...
Well just to be nice and answer some of your questions. Yes you can play as the Pokemon. Did you see the update? Ya. That's right. The Pokemon are who you directly control.

I don't even know what your second question means. But as far as I can guess, no, your Pokemon does not change for each stock. Why would it?

"Would they be any good?" No, Jigglymaster, they're going to put absoloutely terrible characters in the game that literally can't beat anyone. (The point of fighting games is to make all characters balanced, so that they're all good in their own ways. Even though sometimes they fail in that respect, like Pichu. But still, to ask that question is just stupid.)

Your other questions aren't too bad. But still.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I think you're wrong. I think this means there will only be playable 1st gens...I see Pika, Jiggs, M2 and Squirtle/Charizard/Ivysaur being it. I'd be really happy with that outcome, too.
That wouldn't really be smart to only have first gen pokemon characters though. The generation that I think has the best chances of getting in is the fourth. It's the newest game and why wouldn't there be a rep.

U idiot. Jiggs and Mewtwo will still be in. The pokemon that Red has are just your regualr everyday Pokemon. Jiggs kind of had her own mini-series and Mewtwo was in his own movie tho. If anything Pichu would go b4 those 2.

Jiggs and Mewtwo will remain their own characters >_>

And Bendu.....stfu...
Don't call me an idiot. Just because I said that you're favorite character may not be returning doesn't give you permission to flame me. As for Mewtwo's movie, so did Lucario. I know Mewtwo's movie was a little bigger and more popular than Lucario's but whatever. And yes Pichu will most defnitely go before Mewtwo and Jiggs but doesn't mean they still won't go. Everybody has a chance of not returning.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Oh wow, I didn't see this comming but wow. I'm so looking foward to busting people up with my fav fire type. Can't wait to see Squirtles B^ which I hope will be hydropump where he tucks in his shell and spinds around.

Personally, this is my favorite update so far ^^ Charizard owns life!

Shame they didn't make the battle Rev pokemon look that good though. Charizard looks godly!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I like to think Red is only taking Pichu's spot, and that we'll get Lucario. 5 Pokemon representatives sounds good to me...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well just to be nice and answer some of your questions. Yes you can play as the Pokemon. Did you see the update? Ya. That's right. The Pokemon are who you directly control.

I don't even know what your second question means. But as far as I can guess, no, your Pokemon does not change for each stock. Why would it?

"Would they be any good?" No, Jigglymaster, they're going to put absoloutely terrible characters in the game that literally can't beat anyone. (The point of fighting games is to make all characters balanced, so that they're all good in their own ways. Even though sometimes they fail in that respect, like Pichu. But still, to ask that question is just stupid.)

Your other questions aren't too bad. But still.
So your saying I can set it to 99 stock and he will still have 3 pokemon?

If there are 3 characters in one team then they all must suck.

Also I wasn't asking for a wise *** like you to anwser them. They were just questions I was pondering about of the possibility of what he will be like when Brawl Comes out. I mean, I can't wait to see how he is able to do story mode.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
That wouldn't really be smart to only have first gen pokemon characters though. The generation that I think has the best chances of getting in is the fourth. It's the newest game and why wouldn't there be a rep.
Why would you think that? The only 2nd gen in Melee was Pichu, and that hardly counts at all. I'd say: Don't be surprised if you don't see any 4th gen in the game. 1st gen is the best. I could easily see it being solely repped in here. Or at least having 4 character reps.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Don't call me an idiot. Just because I said that you're favorite character may not be returning doesn't give you permission to flame me. As for Mewtwo's movie, so did Lucario. I know Mewtwo's movie was a little bigger and more popular than Lucario's but whatever. And yes Pichu will most defnitely go before Mewtwo and Jiggs but doesn't mean they still won't go. Everybody has a chance of not returning.
Nope, everybody from the first seriers was already confirmed that they are returning.

Casture

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this was brought up in an earlier post (I didn't want to read all of the post just made today)....when do you think the PT can switch out Pokemon? Meaning: on the ground, only when they are not being attacked? What if they are being comboed in the air, no possibilities there? If you could though, that would be wicked messed up.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
So your saying I can set it to 99 stock and he will still have 3 pokemon?

If there are 3 characters in one team then they all must suck.

Also I wasn't asking for a wise *** like you to anwser them. They were just questions I was pondering about of the possibility of what he will be like when Brawl Comes out. I mean, I can't wait to see how he is able to do story mode.
Yes, he will still have 3 Pokemon. Because you lose the entire team for one stock. The team is on one health meter. For real dude, you're obviously not hooked on phonics. Because that was pretty clear in the update.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
This is the best update yet!! What are you talking about?!?! I came back to post on smashboards just because of this update.

StevenM

Smash Apprentice
The first question that came to mind when I read the update was, "What does this mean for Ice Climbers?"

That aside, do you think there'll be a way to evolve or devolve the PokeMon as you play? Charizard's pretty cool, but it'd sort of suck to play as Squirtle when you could be a Blastoise instead. Then again we did have Blastoise and Venusaur in Poke Balls during 64 and Melee. Meh.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yes, he will still have 3 Pokemon. Because you lose the entire team for one stock. The team is on one health meter. For real dude, you're obviously not hooked on phonics. Because that was pretty clear in the update.
................. Stop being such a wiseass about it. >_________________________>

And it never said anything about an extra stock after all of your pokemon are gone.

Their not stupid questions either. Nobody has anwsered yet fully how he will be playable in story mode. God ****ing dammit why do you all act wiseasses about it when they aren't stupid questions.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Why would you think that? The only 2nd gen in Melee was Pichu, and that hardly counts at all. I'd say: Don't be surprised if you don't see any 4th gen in the game. 1st gen is the best. I could easily see it being solely repped in here. Or at least having 4 character reps.
I'll admit I wouldn't be that suprised if fourth gen wan't reped. But I would be more suprised if the first gen was the only one. Yes the first gen has the MOST best pokemon. But other gens have cool pokemon. So I agree and disagree with you. Yes first gen is the best overall, but that doesn't mean Sakurai thinks so. There are still other good later gen pokemon.

I

i8waffles612

Wow this update is just... wow...

Red? Why couldnt they get Ash?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Possibly. But I doubt it majorly. C'mon, it's WORSE than having IC's. Three chars, that's just over the top, AND completely tourney ILLEGAL.
You are delusional...ICs are completely different from this. You use one at a time. ICs aren't tourney illegal anyway...and this won't be either. That'd just be flatout dumb. And it's all about balance, man.

Top Bottom