• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
He doesn't have costumes, just alternate colors like all the others. It would take more memory to make alternate costumes. Wario is special enough to have one because he has 2 official looks that people are split over.

peytar

Smash Journeyman
A place where no one cares about brawl but me
He doesn't have costumes, just alternate colors like all the others. It would take more memory to make alternate costumes. Wario is special enough to have one because he has 2 official looks that people are split over.
they all mean the same to me i was reffering to his color swaps, but i don't like how they just made one thing different color and the rest just a sorta hue kinda thing!!!

YSM

Smash Apprentice
In addition to black Charizard, we should have gotten the Squirtle Squad shades from the anime

Darth Wedel

Smash Apprentice
Sure, most of the pokemon have some kind of alternative costume - depending on how you define "alternate costume" - i.e. Jiggly has flowers or whatever, Pikachu has hats and Melee's Pichu had acessories too...

Still, Wario's costumes are much more extreme. Go Wario.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
In general, PT is not popular enough. I kind of like it, but the underestimating really bothers me. I picked him up for that Gamespot tournament and the first thing I heard was "Zomgz Pokeman r 4 nubs." And then I won, thanks mostly to Card's guide. Squirtle was usually enough for them.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Someone go make an Ivysaur Character Discussion thread.

The "Why do people think Charizard Sucks?" seems to be the Charizard char discussion thread. Ivy needs love, but people are turned off by its tether recovery.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I think there are already "Fanclub" threads for those two. Charizard probably had one, too. As you can tell, they don't see much use. This forum as a whole doesn't see much use. =/

Tenki

Smash Hero
awe :[

I was hoping there'd be one (heck, even Ganondorf forums have one) where people discuss moves/usage/strategy weekly, if not daily. It helps people come to understand usage of moves that they might not even incorporate into their game, or dealing w/ certain situations.

You'd need a dedicated Ivysaur user (or at least an active PT board user) to update the thread title/information/topic each day/week though :x

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Eh, I guess I could make one along those lines. I check in every day, even if there's nothing to post about. I'm not particularly good at Ivysaur yet, though. At least, not excellent. Not my best. WHatever. >_>

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well Pt certainly takes much more mental prowness to understand, something I think many of the members on these boards lack. People aren't used to being forced into two or more characters. yes there was Zelda/shiek in melee but who ever used Zelda outside of teleporting anyways. With PT it isn't just about mindgames or technical skill but rather holding your ace in the sleeve or pulling a gambit. But all people care about is technical skill and techniques to hide the lack of technical skill, no one wants to waste time with such an oddball character.

I exclusively main PT and have played almost everyone one of my casual/competitive matches as him......and I'm still learning him. I've even joined other Pt players to learn the different ways to play him. There are PT players but not nearly enough, there's not much to say about the character now because we're still learning about him. In due time though more respect will be given to the young pokemon master.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Y'know...even after Pokemon Trainer being in the game and all, there's one thing I'm kinda sad about. Why can't we focus on the trainer? I mean, he's so odd. You can't exactly take a picture of him, or walk as him. There are times when I wish Pokemon Trainer was more Olimar like. Don't get me wrong, Sakurai placed him in perfectly, but compared to everyone else Pokemon Trainer feels way too minor being in the background. >_> A silly rant, but I had to get it off my chest XD

As for how Pokemon Trainer is doing right now, I'm relieved that he is underrated...but with that underrating comes a lot of hard work. I haven't had much trouble with Trainer lately...with the exception of yesterday when it took Ivysaur nearly 10 seconds to come out of his Poke Ball in a match. That was just horrible.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well this may seem out of place but I think that someone should make a sticky thread for really good PT vids (you know, the "best known" player's vids like with the Sonic area).

I can't seem to find any really good vids. . .and theres a so few combo vids of PT that it's shameful.:ohwell:

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Two things:

1) We already had a video thread, but it has since died, probably.

2) There AREN'T many good videos of Pokemon Trainer, and I don't think any of the good ones are actual battles.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Two things:

1) We already had a video thread, but it has since died, probably.

2) There AREN'T many good videos of Pokemon Trainer, and I don't think any of the good ones are actual battles.
If it's not stickyed than is very much dead. . .

and 2. explains why I can't find any good vids :ohwell:

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Someone go make an Ivysaur Character Discussion thread.

The "Why do people think Charizard Sucks?" seems to be the Charizard char discussion thread. Ivy needs love, but people are turned off by its tether recovery.
A: we did

B: I made the thread, but due to the gradual death and multiple recommendations I made a separate tactical discussion, to avoid a trail off topic.

C: He/She does. gee, Ivysaur is possibly the only character nobody can agree what its gender is.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
As for how Pokemon Trainer is doing right now, I'm relieved that he is underrated...but with that underrating comes a lot of hard work. I haven't had much trouble with Trainer lately...with the exception of yesterday when it took Ivysaur nearly 10 seconds to come out of his Poke Ball in a match. That was just horrible.[/QUOTE]

hmmm. Well I think there is a trick as to how long you hold Down+ B. In alot of my gameplay online, in the waiting room I found that I could somewhat control how long it took to change pokemon. What I'm saying isn't completely perfect, but I'm just saying what I have found. Try pressing Down+B then wait 1 second and press Down+ B again. Usually that works, I think, I haven't tried it in a while. Then For a longer wait, I think, Hold down Down+ B and I think you can get up to like 3-5 seconds of a delay. Once again this may vary on experience but i know there is a way to shorten the switch out.

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
PT wouldn't work as a fighter because of Hal. When they were coming up with mascots to duke it out in SSB, they didn't think of a 11 year old to represent GameFreaks, they thought of the Pokemon themselves. Then with Melee, they further reinforced that it's all about Pikachu and friends. I like PT as much as anyone else, but now it'd be too late for him to branch out. It wouldn't look right.

"Why is PT fistfighting Pikachu?" would be on everyone's mind if he fought. If PT was part of the Original 12, it'd be different. With a racer coming out of nowhere with a Firebird possessed straight punch, and a pink fluffball that eats everything, he'd be in good company! Now...He'd be filler because there wasn't enough time to stuff in Deoxys or whatever, no matter how good he'd be.

Now instead of giving him his own movelist, why not expand on his current? As a pokemon trainer, he should have 6 pokemon. Now give those 6 Pokemon their own moveset. Take away Pokemon Change, the fatigue, and have the PKMN random set so you can't select your preference. Then it will be something fresh out of Pokemon Red/Blue! Pokemon Trainer vs Sonic would actually work! You may not be able to switch out, but you get six fighters for the price of one, and they can be normal, just like Pikachu.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
PT wouldn't work as a fighter because of Hal. When they were coming up with mascots to duke it out in SSB, they didn't think of a 11 year old to represent GameFreaks, they thought of the Pokemon themselves. Then with Melee, they further reinforced that it's all about Pikachu and friends. I like PT as much as anyone else, but now it'd be too late for him to branch out. It wouldn't look right.

"Why is PT fistfighting Pikachu?" would be on everyone's mind if he fought. If PT was part of the Original 12, it'd be different. With a racer coming out of nowhere with a Firebird possessed straight punch, and a pink fluffball that eats everything, he'd be in good company! Now...He'd be filler because there wasn't enough time to stuff in Deoxys or whatever, no matter how good he'd be.

Now instead of giving him his own movelist, why not expand on his current? As a pokemon trainer, he should have 6 pokemon. Now give those 6 Pokemon their own moveset. Take away Pokemon Change, the fatigue, and have the PKMN random set so you can't select your preference. Then it will be something fresh out of Pokemon Red/Blue! Pokemon Trainer vs Sonic would actually work! You may not be able to switch out, but you get six fighters for the price of one, and they can be normal, just like Pikachu.
I'm a bit confused...did you reply to my opening post thinking that it was recent? o_O

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah. good call predicting it. :p i never would have thought of pt in brawl, either in his current incarnation or as the trainer himself.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Honestly, he seeams a little lackluster compared to a few of the power houses, but when I stop to think of it Pokemon Trainer is a dream come true for us hardcore fans of the series.

PT is taking shape tho.
Mid tier at least.
If not one day mid-high or high tier.

one day.

you'll see.

our courage will pull us through.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hallo. I am Eldrake. PT is one of my secondary mains.

And I got to say that this is a awesome thread (If not the awesomest thread I've ever seen on Smashboards) The Pokemon Trainer update was a goldmine of pure pwnage.

When you read the thread before Red got confirmed, you can easily imagine the reactions of the many naysayers.

I got the temptation to post this thread in this article called "I knew It" in Tvtropes.

Let it be known that I don't think there is any other threads that screams out Pure, Ultimate, Pwnage, of Ownagation (Yes, I made up that word. Yes, I know it doesn't make sense) more than this.

Yes, I know thousands of members already told you this, but... Congratulations Yukiwarashi. You are full of win for having predicted this character, and having supported him since the beginning.

You wanna know what makes this even more hilarious? The naysayers can't even get their revenge on Red as he's standing in the background, which makes me laugh.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
no, red's a bad name. and everyone always names the pt their own name in the pokemon games anyway...unless you are weird and name everyone by their anime names.

Top Bottom