• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (It's here :3!!!!)

rockem7

Smash Ace
I probably missed something, but is there a Contest Hall in HGSS? If not, then what's the point of having the Cool/Beauty/etc. move categories?

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Only about 300 after almost 110 hours. I'm getting there. I think I have reset all the Safari Zone nonsense, too, since I forgot what goes where.
I'm still not sure how to work the Safari Zone. All I know is that I got a Chansey from it along with some other pokes.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Bleh, I've stopped playing because nobody else is playing anymore. Not that we don't talk about the series in my group, it's just that the initial hype died...

I did manage to get every single Kanto mon. Not a big achievement though...

Although I did get everything of value in there

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I never "finished" SS. I caught one legendary and I never even beat Red. I still wear my pokewalker like every day though. :p

Mewter

Smash Master
Yup.
He just may one day become the champion.

Isn't Raticate a little big to carry on your shoulder though?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Using hacks, they found out that Joey's Ratatat is TRULY among the top percent of Ratatat. He has adament nature and max IVs.
It means nothing because all trainers' Pokemon in the game have Max IVs and 255 in each EV, and tend to be Natured beneficially.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I beat Red and stopped playing it. I figured I already broke the same Pokédex on Diamond.

Plus, I forgot half of the things you can do once you finish Red by the time I actually beat Red.

But, like Chill, I still wear my PokéWalker daily. :p

PowerBomb

Smash Master
It means nothing because all trainers' Pokemon in the game have Max IVs and 255 in each EV, and tend to be Natured beneficially.
Actually, no

Most trainers have 0 IVs in all stats with 255 EVs in one stat/two stats. If they have 255 in one stat, another stat will either have 255 or just 0.

Natures depend on the trainer/Pokemon.

And I WILL catch Joey's Ratata. If it's seriously like that, it would be hilarious.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I need to finish breeding 6 pokemon to be done with teams, finish the trainer card... but I kinda took a Hiatus from pokemon. Played it for nearly a year straight, and yet I'm starting to miss it now. Next to Final Fantasy, it has to be my favorite series. Though Metroid runs a close third.

rockem7

Smash Ace
I have three stars on my trainer card now, I just need to complete the dex and get a 100-streak in the Battle Tower. I have no idea how I'll accomplish the latter, seeing as I haven't been able to get the first plate yet.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I have the dex done, just need to trade it to SS (didn't cheat at all =) )

I'm currently breeding, I've got to do:

Gligar (have good parents, shouldn't take too long)

Bagon (Same as above)

Lucario (Start from scratch >_<) - honestly probably take either ability from him

Catch Heatran [easy]

Catch Azelf [easy]

Dragonite (Scratch)

Swampert (Good parents)

THEN I trade dex over, do the rest, etc. Then battle online for fun.. yay.

I don't look forward to BT though, I always loose in battles 80~95

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I don't know how you guys do this.. I feel like I should at least catch the legendaries and beat Red though. I'll start right away! First thing...tomorrow morning...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't know how you guys do this.. I feel like I should at least catch the legendaries and beat Red though. I'll start right away! First thing...tomorrow morning...
I'll only breed/SR pokemon when I'm doing something else. Watching a movie, watching my girlfriend beat the windwaker (currently), etc. Otherwise I've been playing FFXII a lot. I dunno, I find breeding fun, except when dual abilities shows up. Getting Sand Veil Gligars can be a pain.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Yeah, trying to get a good nature and ability isn't fun. That's why getting a good Horsea and a good Machop makes me kind of frustrated. But on the team I'm working on, I almost have enough BP to finish off my Aggron, and then I'd just need 48 BP for Honchkrow and 128 BP for Machamp and I'm set. Then I won't go back to the Battle Frontier for at least a month.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, trying to get a good nature and ability isn't fun. That's why getting a good Horsea and a good Machop makes me kind of frustrated. But on the team I'm working on, I almost have enough BP to finish off my Aggron, and then I'd just need 48 BP for Honchkrow and 128 BP for Machamp and I'm set. Then I won't go back to the Battle Frontier for at least a month.
I have two rules for breeding:
- Nothing under 24, (and if one iv is 24 it better be good like my 31/31/29/X/24/31 Ttar)
- If HP is good, I may accept lower. (My 29/X/14/30/29/31 Jolteon with 68HP Grass)
- Some things like Lucario I'll accept either ability.

Right now... Gligar is killing me.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'll only breed/SR pokemon when I'm doing something else. Watching a movie, watching my girlfriend beat the windwaker (currently), etc. Otherwise I've been playing FFXII a lot. I dunno, I find breeding fun, except when dual abilities shows up. Getting Sand Veil Gligars can be a pain.
Oh, I didn't mean breeding. I've done a lot of that. Probably too much of it as I also find breeding enjoyable sometimes. I meant completing the dex.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Oh, I didn't mean breeding. I've done a lot of that. Probably too much of it as I also find breeding enjoyable sometimes. I meant completing the dex.
Unless I like the Poke, I normally just toss an EXP Share on it and run through the E4. That makes it seem faster to me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I did it one platinum so I wouldn't have too on SS (just trade, trade, trade) I'm stuck at beating BT, I always fail... and to hax crap at that. I was running a Uxie/Garchomp/Lucario(special) combo..but it failed I guess. Thinking of Gengar/Garchomp/Suggestion

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Trading over nearly 400 or more pokemon would drive me nuts. I wanted to trade my competitive pokemon to SS but than realized how many I had. I was just going to leave them and palpark them to the next gen but now it's on the same system so I don't know what I'm going to do.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Trading over nearly 400 or more pokemon would drive me nuts.
This is why I would rather catch the Pokémon again than trade them. (Not that I'm even doing that, though. One Pokédex completion per gen is fine for me.)

Catching 400+ Pidgeys or whatever and then having to go through the hassle of trading them all...switching Pokémon between each trade...

The thought of it makes me shudder.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Catching 400+ Pidgeys or whatever and then having to go through the hassle of trading them all...switching Pokémon between each trade...

The thought of it makes me shudder.

That's why I just use eggs to trade. I think it's easier for the most part, and less expensive (Not that Pokeballs are expensive) than catching some level 2's to trade in place.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
That's why I just use eggs to trade. I think it's easier for the most part, and less expensive (Not that Pokeballs are expensive) than catching some level 2's to trade in place.
Yeah see, from breeding I have 150 pokemon right now to trade.. sad thing is they all have 3+ stats that are 31s... I'm just very picking about breeding =)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Using eggs would be less painful, but you'd still have to go through getting a whopping 400 of them. And you'd still have to trade.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So guys (I asked in Q & A but I'll ask here) 31/31/26/31/23/31 Gligar WITH Sand Veil. Is it wrong to keep it? Reading my own breeding rules above, I'm thinking of adding one more rule:

- If needing a specific ability, 20+ is acceptable.

So mono-abilities are 24+
Special Exceptions (Shiny, Hidden Power) are 15+ (very lenient)
Dual-abilities are 20+

I can't say no to this Gligar >< The past 20 impish ones have had Hyper Cutter...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Personally if I'm breeding something with a +defense nature the HP and defense have to be 31. I would keep it in case you don't get anything better but I would keep breeding.

rockem7

Smash Ace
I would keep it, but maybe try to get a better SpD. And if you got a shiny, you better keep it even if it isn't 15+. You'd be crazy not to. If you're talking about using it, then that's a different story. What are the IV's of the parents?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I would keep it, but maybe try to get a better SpD. And if you got a shiny, you better keep it even if it isn't 15+. You'd be crazy not to. If you're talking about using it, then that's a different story. What are the IV's of the parents?
Mom : 31/20/31/31/31/31
Dad: 31/31/26/31/31/31

Honestly I kept it, if it was a Swampert or something I'd keep going, but Gligars have dual abilities, making it hard just to get the Impish/Sand Veil combo.

Now I'm doing Swampert... then Salamence/Lucario, then Dragonite/Metagross... then SR a Heatran/Azelf.. then and only then I'm done v.v

Top Bottom