• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (It's here :3!!!!)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I only have one of each of those, and would let you clone later.

Whats sad Chill is I have one with Hyper Cutter thats 31/31/26/31/31/31... =/.

I'm very strict on breeding, I'll let Satt slide if they don't use it (vica versa) and the only 24~29s are defense on offensive pokemon, vica versa. Of course liek I said HP/Shiny affects my strictness, but I've recently realized how annoying dual-ability is.

It's caused me to accept certain offers... and 31/31/26 is good, X/23/31... 23 is meh but it should work fine and it's the first out of 100's of gliscors I've had that is good and sand veil.

Thank god Swampert/Dragonite/Metagross/Lucario (either ability is finewith me)/ Salamence doesn't have this problem. I'm done with dual abilities!!! =]

It's funny because if you look at all my Ivs, Kingdra and Gliscor are the most lenient. Kingdra is 31/31/29/30/28/31 (I got lucky... meh that is very good. But Gliscor is my worst IV setup...second being my 24/31/31/X/30/31 Hippowdon.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Thanks for the compliment, it took over 300 eggs ... Swift Swim is a *****.

My favorite will always be 31/31/30/31/24/31 Tyranitar. His sdef is a tad low, but god I love him. I know he gets ragged on for being a bad lead pokemon, but in my SS team he is amazing.

I may have been a little lenient on Gligar, but I'm so happy to be done with Dual-Ability pokemon. They really piss me off ._.

And so far, my two best pokemon are:

31/X/19/30/31/31 Jolteon with 68HP Grass =]
31/31/30/X/31/30 Scyther Technician booyah!

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
I really want to get into this breeding business, I just dont know 4th gen techniques.

Like I just caught the Red Gyarados with an Adamant nature (not sure about IVs). How would I breed another Red one thats adamant and good ivs? Anyone got a good guide?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I really want to get into this breeding business, I just dont know 4th gen techniques.

Like I just caught the Red Gyarados with an Adamant nature (not sure about IVs). How would I breed another Red one thats adamant and good ivs? Anyone got a good guide?
You can't necessarily breed for another red one (that'd be up to chance...a really small chance). Natures can get passed on when a female (or Ditto) of a certain nature is holding an Everstone. For example, if your Gyarados is male, breed it with an Adamant female Magikarp (or Ditto). IVs have a chance of getting inherited from either parent, you just have to have Pokemon with a good IV(s) to start with. It is a little complicated, and I'm sure someone can point you to a good guide somewhere.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Are you using the new Breeding feature in HGSS where if the parent is holding the certain Power Item that IV gets directly passed on to the offspring? I haven't tried it yet, and wanted to know if it's a good method.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's pretty effective if both of your Pokemon have good IVs in different stats. I myself bred half a dozen Adamant Gligar's with perfect Attack IVs from a father who had a Bold nature, yet 31 Attack.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Male = power item female = everstone = win.

7th swampert was 31/31/7/27/31/28 .. So close. (I'm doing Relaxed Cursepert, so it's fair to say I don't care for Satt/Speed)

=/

rockem7

Smash Ace
Alright, so you get the female one to have the nature you want, and then give the male poke the power item? I normally just throw something with a Ditto and settle for like 25/30/25/31/27/30. But some of the people you guys are talking about seem to be a lot better.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, so you get the female one to have the nature you want, and then give the male poke the power item? I normally just throw something with a Ditto and settle for like 25/30/25/31/27/30. But some of the people you guys are talking about seem to be a lot better.
Correct. Though those IVs are not bad. I have my own set of rules:

- Nothing under a 24 (and only one (Hippowdon FEMALE =] 24/31/29/X/30/31) or on stats that do not matter much like defenses on Gengar)
- Will accept anything 20+ (follow the same rules above, though) if they have dual natures. Ex would be my Gliscor I posted earlier. My Kingdra is a god.
- Will keep shiny pokemon, obviously, but will use them or HPpokemon if they are reasonable: (Ex being my 30/X/19/30/31/31 Jolteon with HP68Grass, and I may have the 30/31s misplaced, but it is max speed)

By my rules, if that was say... a mixed Salamence, I'd die to have it..well maybe with one more speed, heh.

For roaming poke with good natures, like Raikou:
If I knock him out and then re-battle the Elite-4, and it still has a nature I dont like do i get unlimited chances to do that?
I'm strict but, you have to be lenient on roamers. Just getting the nature is a blessing, as Synchronize will not, ever, work. I took a Hasty Latios with a 30 in Speed and 28 Spatt just because it was close enough. (and I'll never use Latios)

I got lucky with a Entei.. good nature, hpgrass70, woot woot. XD.

Too bad he sucks.

rockem7

Smash Ace
So I have a Ditto that has 30 Atk, but everything else is under 20. Should I use it to breed for Machop? Or should I try to get a parent with better overall IV's?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Get a better parent. You want at least one 31 IV. If you go on a ditto hunting spree it shouldn't be too hard to get.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
God ****...
That must take some serious dedication to breed close to perfect Pokemon.
I've played Shoddy almost strictly when it comes to competitive Pokemon purely because I don't have the dedication to breed for proper IV's, especially when I want something to have the right hidden power.

Recently I started to do some somewhat competitive WiFI with my group of friends once we all picked up HG/SS. The extent of effort I put into it was catching a Ditto of every nature, and putting in the half hour or whatever of EV training each Pokemon. Breeding several hundred eggs though... I was mad enough breeding Scyther with Technician, Shroomish with Poison Heal, and a Starmie with Natural Cure. I had to go through dozens of eggs. to get those three with the right natures... Bring in IV's and I would go insane.

I guess it would open up a lot of possibilities for WiFi play (not having to avoid sets that need Hidden Power for coverage T_T) That and I would actually know for a fact that my Jolly Scarfgon outspeeds any +1 Adamant DDMence.

I have a Ditto of every nature, and all the Power items, so how hard is it to really get into breeding for IV's? I guess the hardest step would be getting the 31 IV's to pass down in the first place, right?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I think it gets easier the more you do it. The first time I started breeding I only went for natures. Once I understood that I breed for a 31 Iv, than 2 and so on. Once I tackled IVs I started learning how to breed hidden powers.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah... Once you have the dittos, power items, etc it gets so much easier. Like I've said, it's only bad if they have dual abilities.

Even if your parents are

Relaxed Ditto crap/crap/crap/crap/30/crap
Mudkipz: 31/31/crap/crap/crap/crap

With a Power Item on Attack, 31 is 100%

Now if you're doing a cursepert (I was), Speed/Satt doesn't matter.

So eventually (egg17) you get 25/31/28/10/31/10

And though it looks bad, it's actually really good.

The only "pain" in breeding is dual abilities. I can't stress how much I hate not being able to pick what ability you want.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Well right now I have a 100% on 31 Spe and both parents are at 30 atk so now I'm just waiting for one with the right ability and defenses that are at least 24+.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^Yeah, it just takes time. I'm a Heatran away from SS being done. Offense needs Salamence/Azelf/Lucario, though.

And I'm doing mixmence. I like him more, screw DD

<.< Also trying to figure out how to make a Dragonitelead/trickhirachi/agiligross/mysticgar/rain dance mixed kingdra

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I could write so much on IVs, I'll come back to edit this to help you out.

Meanwhile... I think I'm starting Metagross today

T-block

B2B TST
lol i'm just being lazy... but thanks a lot guys <3

i guess i can be googling a lot of this stuff myself though... what'd really help me out is if you could tell me what order you follow when breeding. moves first, then breed for the most important IV and stick a power item on it or something? i kinda lost on how to approach this.

rockem7

Smash Ace
The way I do it probably isn't the most conventional way, and Shimazu's way is probably better, but I just catch two decent pokemon (either 2 of what I'm trying to breed or one and a decent Ditto), throw them in the daycare and test IV's for the children, then once I get a decent one I throw the power item on them and then hope for a female with the right nature and decent IV's, because you give the female an Everstone and it'll pass the nature you want to the egg. And as far as moves go, I just focus on the Pokemon and then teach it moves as I'm training it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
lol i'm just being lazy... but thanks a lot guys <3

i guess i can be googling a lot of this stuff myself though... what'd really help me out is if you could tell me what order you follow when breeding. moves first, then breed for the most important IV and stick a power item on it or something? i kinda lost on how to approach this.
Egg moves first. Always.

Read smogon's breeding guide, it's the one I started with and I think it's the best out there.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Dude. Once upon a time I had an Adamant 30/31/30/31/28/26
Ttar..better than my jolly one pretty much. No pursuit. Fail.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
After I got into Shoddy Battle, I haven't picked up my Soul Silver in about a month. After beating Red, I see no point in breeding Pokemon and battling on Wi-Fi seeing as how much more convenient it is to just use Shoddy instead. And I planned on at least getting 250+ Pokemon in this game, but after I've caught around 80, my motivation was lost.

Looks like I won't be playing Pokemon on my DS again until B&W are out. :(

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I've only caught like 8 Pokemon MAX on my SS.

Everything else was traded, received from an NPC, or from the Pokewalker, and I have like 4 boxes of Pokemon.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I only play shoddy to test teams lol. It is fun, but I like handheld aspects of my SS. Also I nearly have 3 amazing teams bred, so meh.

T-block

B2B TST
There's another element in breeding your own team too... I can definitely see how people could enjoy that part, and then prefer in-game over Shoddy.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ You get a sense of accomplishment when you win on wifi against a decent player with your team. "I bred that" you know? The fact I'm 4 pokemon from 3 teams being done excites me. I'm not a terrible battler, I'm sub-par, but it's still fun. I need to beat Battle Tower... I need a good team setup that doesn't completly copy Petreeko or whatever.

Thought about Gengar/Garchomp/Lucario, or Gengar/Garchomp/Ttar, dunno. I need help with that.

I also wish someone would help me with ps2 saves but no one knows ; ;

rockem7

Smash Ace
^ You get a sense of accomplishment when you win on wifi against a decent player with your team. "I bred that" you know? The fact I'm 4 pokemon from 3 teams being done excites me. I'm not a terrible battler, I'm sub-par, but it's still fun. I need to beat Battle Tower... I need a good team setup that doesn't completly copy Petreeko or whatever.

Thought about Gengar/Garchomp/Lucario, or Gengar/Garchomp/Ttar, dunno. I need help with that.

I also wish someone would help me with ps2 saves but no one knows ; ;
Your Battle Tower team needs moar Starmie.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
There's another element in breeding your own team too... I can definitely see how people could enjoy that part, and then prefer in-game over Shoddy.
That's the part I don't get. How can anyone enjoy spending hours and hours of repetitive breeding when you can get the same results on Shoddy and literally only spend 5 minutes?

Plus Shoddy has a much more competitive environment, overall, in comparison to wi-fi.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It's each their own. Some love breeding, others are impatient and don't care. It's a preference. As for the Starmie comment, would you suggest it leading or what? And replacing what? Help me out, I got to battle 95 with Uxie/Garchomp/Lucario and died. I need a surefire way (or a very secure way at least) to win =/

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
It's each their own. Some love breeding, others are impatient and don't care. It's a preference.
Ive bred about ~80 Abras since yesterday to get a Timid Synchronize one for Lugia and other legendarys. Ive got some others with nice abilitys, but I seriously want to gouge my eyeballs. Not even ONE with a timid nature. I Do not know how you do it..

rockem7

Smash Ace
I guess it's more or less up to you, are you using gimmicks and whatnot to get through it or are you plowing through it with brute force/type advantages. I was suggesting Starmie because Tbolt/Ice Beam/Surf/Something else has decent coverage for the Battle Tower.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's the part I don't get. How can anyone enjoy spending hours and hours of repetitive breeding when you can get the same results on Shoddy and literally only spend 5 minutes?

Plus Shoddy has a much more competitive environment, overall, in comparison to wi-fi.
By that argument, why would I want to spend hours and hours getting every star in Super Mario 64 when I can just plug in a GameShark and unlock them all?

I don't have a problem with people that choose to use Shoddy, and I don't have the patience to breed myself, but if I ever got into competitive battling I'd rather breed it all myself because it gives you that much more satisfaction.

I can understand why people don't want to breed but I don't understand it when people are baffled that anyone would not simply construct a team on Shoddy.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Ive bred about ~80 Abras since yesterday to get a Timid Synchronize one for Lugia and other legendarys. Ive got some others with nice abilitys, but I seriously want to gouge my eyeballs. Not even ONE with a timid nature. I Do not know how you do it..
Well theres a problem right there.

A) Get Abras in Goldenrod for 200 points apiece (the lottery or whatever) Have 5 slots open, get 5, check them , SR it. Eventually you'll get a Timid Synchronize , it only took me about 30 minutes.

B) Also, when it comes to breeding for natures, just go on serebii or somewhere (Serebii is easier to get stuff from, they don't seem real smart there) and get a Timid Female of that pokemon species. Slap an Everstone on it and breed. 50% chance of Timid, 50% Synchron. 25% chance you'll get one.

<.<

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Kinda ironic for me, but I've caught 2 Abras ever(one in Johto, one in Kanto) mainly to use as Flash/Teleport whores, and they both ended up being Timid/Synchronize <.<

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
By that argument, why would I want to spend hours and hours getting every star in Super Mario 64 when I can just plug in a GameShark and unlock them all?
Because it's fun to get the stars.

It's not fun to spends hours getting a single perfect Pokemon which you might not even use.

Top Bottom