• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Has everyone decided which version they'll be getting? I still want black just because it sounds better (and black city looks more interesting than white forest) but Zekrom is such a badass. :(
Version exclusives aren't a big deal for me, but I really, REALLY want to use jellybaby in my playthrough.

Speaking of which, I don't actually have a DS yet, hopefully the 3DS doesn't come out too much later than BW.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm probably going to get Black, because Reshiram is amazing. I'll have to check for version exclusives, though. Personally, Zuruzukin and Burungeru are must-haves, and I'm legitimately thinking about tossing out the starter as soon as I can catch something decent.

Flygon3x

Smash Cadet
Meh, just got the Dream World to work on my game, so thus I entered some promo Arceus code. Now I can sweep through the entire game with Arceus if I felt like it, but that defeats the fun. But hey, at least I get a blinged C-gear skin. :p

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Me and my brother have a pattern down. I get the first game in the collective name, and he gets the second. I got Red, Gold, Ruby, Firered and Heartgold, he got Blue (eventually got Yellow when Blue's battery glitched up), Silver, Sapphire, Leafgreen and Soulsilver.

However, once Diamond and Pearl came around, I was considered old enough to make my own money, but I didn't have any. My brother had birthday money saved up and some money from a local event he won, so he got both games. However, he "gave" me Pearl after the fact.

I'll probably buy both Black and White, and give Black to him to make it up to him.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting Pokemon White because that is a freaking awesome name. So pure, so awesome, I'll be undefeated with my hacked (but within legal limits) pokemon.

I plan on making a killer rain team to pwn noobs with on wifi. Featuring Kyogre, Politoed, Kingdra, Manaphy, Toxicroak, and Kabutops.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Speaking of Reuniclus, as I was telling MK the other night, I've grown so fond of the name "Rankurusu" and I'm so used to using that name that I think I'm going to have to nickname my Reuniclus that at this point.

I'd probably also nickname Snivy Smugleaf if I were planning to have it as my starter, but I'm still planning on Tepig.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
My old high school students do. It's going to be a party when Black & Whtie comes out.
I wasn't referring to the games alone, the discussion was on...a different topic. XD

The only reason i'm getting White is because I had to choose which pokemon I loved more, either Erufuun or Reuniclus. I chose Reuniclus.
Dammit Rankurusu is in White? Now I'm going to have lots of issues.

Speaking of Reuniclus, as I was telling MK the other night, I've grown so fond of the name "Rankurusu" and I'm so used to using that name that I think I'm going to have to nickname my Reuniclus that at this point.
I wasn't around much for early Diamond / Pearl so I never had to get used to the new English names, but for Black / White I'm practically naming all my Pokemon after their Japanese originals.

Reuniclus -> Rankurusu
"Haxorus" -> Ononokusu
"Ferrathorn" -> Nattorei

And so on.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I'm definitely getting White. Rankurusu is awesome, Zekrom is cooler in my opinion, and White forest looks more interesting than Black city. I might end up getting both.

On a slightly related note to the Telletubby posted above, this video gives me nightmares. Pause at 1:10 The purple one is staring into my soul :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJCT4UGpwo

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wasn't around much for early Diamond / Pearl so I never had to get used to the new English names, but for Black / White I'm practically naming all my Pokemon after their Japanese originals.

Reuniclus -> Rankurusu
"Haxorus" -> Ononokusu
"Ferrathorn" -> Nattorei

And so on.
Yeah, I wasn't around for early D/P either. I don't think I ended up seeing all of the new Pokémon until they already had their English names, so aside from an occasional reference to Starly as Mukubird and things like that, I never really knew any of the Japanese names.

I've been trying to stay away from the Pokémon names and whatnot so that I don't have to worry about that in Black and White, but I liked Rankurusu enough when I first saw it that I ended up having to reference it and therefore call it by the Japanese name. I only really learned the Japanese names for the starters to the extent that I knew what someone was talking about when they said their names and just referred to them as Wotter/Smugleaf/Any of Tepig's many nicknames.

Flygon3x

Smash Cadet
I think there's an in game trade for that. I know for the grass exclusives (Mommen and the other thing), you can trade one for the other.

EDIT: Nope, only the grass exclusives are in game trade.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting Black. Reshiram is bada, and Black Forest seems more useful. I'll just trade when it comes to non-legendary exclusives.

My friends insists that she'll stick to the Japanese names as if it makes her a bigger Pokemon fan. I just eyeroll. :B

EDIT:
Just checked Serebii. The names Alomomola, Excadrill, and Sewaddle have beem confirmed. So far, the "fake" list is still correct in the state it was before this reveal.
I'm pretty convinced it's legit myself.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I'd be willing to trade you one, if my DS wi-fi worked. Now, it still baffles me to this day that I can get wii wi-fi but not DS wi-fi. And my college doesn't really help either.

Now, as with you guys I got adjusted to the Japanese names first, and now trying to get used to the english names. But it still bothers me that for some reason the names in this gen are so hard to pronounce, or even understand.

Last gen we had 'interesting' names like Magmortar and Giratina. Those are easy to read. Not like Alomomola or Reuniclus. I have to go out of my way and sound these names out to myself. And it's not like they quite roll off the tounge anyway. They sound more like scientific classifications of animal families, not pokemon.

Edit: I just found out Alomomola is a palindrome. Now I have to give Nintendo SOME credit for that one.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The names are brand new, so you'll just have to get used to them. I'm sure that a couple of weeks from now, you'll be saying them like it's nothing.

I'm pleased for the most part that the names we have are semi-confirmed.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hmmm, so Alomomola really did end up being confirmed

Eh, I kinda that Strawberries guy seeing as they don't roll off the tongue so easily, but I'm sure this is what we said back when DP/RS/GS/RB came out so eh I'm sure we'll get used to it

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
While Alomomola is quite the interesting palindrome name, I prefer Mamanbou because it's much easier to pronounce.

Also, Girafarig will always be palindrome king. <33

Flygon3x

Smash Cadet
Most likely going to stick with Japanese names for now, but that's probably me. I lol'ed at Haxorus, that's like... haxs.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Most likely going to stick with Japanese names for now, but that's probably me. I lol'ed at Haxorus, that's like... haxs.
Was Haxorus 100% confirmed? I don't remember so. But if they are - since the newer names released today match "the list", I like Fraxure too much to use Haxorus.

Flygon3x

Smash Cadet
Was Haxorus 100% confirmed? I don't remember so. But if they are - since the newer names released today match "the list", I like Fraxure too much to use Haxorus.
While I'll still be around this era saying "Ononokusu". Yeah, I even watch the japanese Black White episodes at times, so I'm really only going to remember those names. Time to catch a Kibago for my in game team, just after I get that HM surf I longed for.

I love my sexy new C-gear skin:

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
...Honestly, how many of us who were around during the DPPt or RSE era that saw this same reveal process, and said "IMMA USE TEH JAPANESE NAMES ONLY DEES ENGLISH NAMES ARE STUUPIDDD" (though not in that fashion) just like so many people are doing now?
I wasn't; I was in fifth grade when Diamond and Pearl were announced. I was too young to care, and the only Japanese name that I remember (besides Rukario and other literal romanizations) is Pochama (Piplup). I've seen many old forum posts from various places on old gens that swore they'd never use the new English names, though,

I don't see any of them holding to that. Just saying; it just kind've bothers me. .__.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dunno, if the English names end up being too hard to pronounce, I might end up sticking to the Japanese name

Or who knows because I might end up getting over it

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Funny story with Dialga and Palkia- Again, I was in fifth grade at the time, so I didn't know the whole Japanese L and R pronunciation thing, and how GF tends to translate things like "Rukario" to "Lucario."

I heard about "Diaruga" and "Parukia," and accidentally started calling them "Dialga" and "Palkia" before the official English translations were revealed. xD

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
...Honestly, how many of us who were around during the DPPt or RSE era that saw this same reveal process, and said "IMMA USE TEH JAPANESE NAMES ONLY DEES ENGLISH NAMES ARE STUUPIDDD" (though not in that fashion) just like so many people are doing now?
I wasn't; I was in fifth grade when Diamond and Pearl were announced. I was too young to care, and the only Japanese name that I remember (besides Rukario and other literal romanizations) is Pochama (Piplup). I've seen many old forum posts from various places on old gens that swore they'd never use the new English names, though,

I don't see any of them holding to that. Just saying; it just kind've bothers me. .__.
I'm just planning on nicknaming my Reuniclus Rankurusu 'cause I'm used to and like the name Rankurusu, not because I have a problem with the English name.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Funny story with Dialga and Palkia- Again, I was in fifth grade at the time, so I didn't know the whole Japanese L and R pronunciation thing, and how GF tends to translate things like "Rukario" to "Lucario."

I heard about "Diaruga" and "Parukia," and accidentally started calling them "Dialga" and "Palkia" before the official English translations were revealed. xD
Damn, you were in 5th grade for DP? And you pulled that off? That's crazy!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm okay with the names. Other than Oshawott, I haven't heard anything offensive to my ears. I don't think any of them are fake, they seem pretty middle-of-the-road... which IMO, is what Gamefreak does.

EXCEPT for Reuniclus, that's just weird.

Also, OT... nice avatar, Firus. =P

Top Bottom