• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
not 'confirmed' but im still going from that leaked list which is getting more and more confirmed with each update

UberMario

Smash Master
Everyone thought names were bad when they came out since gen 2. See Serebii for details.
Try to possibly make a less fitting name than "Lillipup" for a dog that can eventually grow a mustache as long as it's body.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Haxorus too good ROFL

man

with the same sun team i can fluctuate from rank 600 to rank 6000 on DW ou

just by focusing on smart play makes a huuuuge diff on the same team. usually when im tired and cant really think, my laddering becomes repetitive and i keep losin cuz im not thinking

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
This post is a lie.

Next you'll tell me that you always knew how to pronounce Suicune. :awesome:
I ***** a lot of name pronunciation when I was little ("Kai-ore-gee," "Groo-don," "Ho-Ho," "Ray-kway-zuh") and that was probably the worst. My friends and I called it "Sue-see-on." ._.

Now Gyarados, I'm pretty sure, I actually got right when I was younger. Maybe it was just legendaries that I had the problem with; they were too awesome for me to say their names correctly. :B

EDIT:
Serebii updated.

Lillipup is a confirmed name for the dog.
Cheer Up is now "Work Up."
The other waiters and a city were given names, but I don't remember, and can't check it while typing on my phone...
The Dream World will not be available on release to avoid the problems like Japan; we're looking at a spring release for DW.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I knew how to pronounce Gyarados when I was younger because of the cartoon. I don't ever recall calling him by any other name.

Other Pokemon, however were difficult...

Skarmory = Skuh-More-Ee
Suicune = Sew-Ee-Sun
Milotic = Mill-Aw-Tick
Sceptile = Skep-Tile
Pidgeot = Pidge-Ee-Awt
Rayquaza = Ray-Kwah-Zuh

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Timburr and Tympole confirmed.

I can't wait for my Serperior, then, since I'm positive that this list is fully legit.

M.K

Level 55
Timburr works great, and I like Tympole.

I'm dreading Conkledurr...that's such a dreadful name.
I like how all the cities are named after clouds!! I really like that, haha.

Striaton - Stratus Clouds
Castelia - Castellanus (species of clouds)
Nacrene - Nacreous Clouds (This is a stretch, but I LOVE it; Nacreous clouds are clouds found in the winter stratosphere where ozone is mostly depleted)

Seriously loving these city names.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I alwas pronounced Raikou as "Rai-koo" instead of "Rai-ko". And Chimecho was just "Chime-cho" instead of "Chime-echo" for the longest time.

Lillipup is still a terrible name, especially in the same generation as Lilligant.

Clouds are an interesting theme for the cities. Some of the pronunciations are a little iffy for me, though.

UberMario

Smash Master
I can only recall two that I pronounced differently before hearing the "official" pronounciation: Raikou, which, like filipno, I pronounced as "Raikoo", and Arceus, which I pronounced as "Ar-Zeus", because it's a god pokemon.

M.K

Level 55
591 Amoonguss Morobareru
Is this supposed to be a pun of "Among us" a.k.a. Aliens? It's the name of Foongus' evolution (the ugly slow Mushroom).

596 Galvantula Denchura
Really a great name. "Galvan-" derived from a galvanic cell which makes electricity from chemical reactions, and "-tula" is obviously from tarantula.

614 Beartic Tsunbeaa
Can't get much more "slam two words together into a name" thank this.
Although it's probably gonna be pronounced "Bar-tick" (emphasis on the "artic" sounding like arctic) instead of "Bear-tick"....
....okay maybe it's not terrible.

620 Mienshao Kojondo
Elegantly oriental. It shall be "Lo Mein"

626 Bouffalant Baffuron
Why does this remind me of a dessert?
I'm hungry.

631 Heatmor Kuitaran
632 Durant Aianto
Oh gawd. "Durant" is the name of a middle school near my house, and "Heatmor" is forever "MOAR".

633 Deino Monozu
634 Zweilous Jiheddo
635 Hydreigon Sazando
There better be some damn good explanation about where these are derived from on Bulbapedia, cuz this is like....stretching it.

636 Larvesta Meraruba
637 Volcarona Urugamosu
Yes please.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yes, it's sort of a reference to the fact that both the mushroom Pokemon are shaped like man-made Poke Balls.

And also, "Ein", "Zwei" and "Drei" are "One", "Two" and "Three" in German, referencing the number of heads on each dragon.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
620 Mienshao Kojondo

Elegantly oriental. It shall be "Lo Mein"
Except that should probably be romanized as "Lo Mean" for non-Cantonese speakers out there.

Also, Mienshao sounds more like Mandarin for "Not enough noodles" rather than referencing a Cantonese dish. "Not Enough Noodles" is going to be the name of all my Kojondo now, too bad the nickname limit exists.

M.K

Level 55

THIS thing is 1 foot, 11 inches tall.

and

THIS thing is 8 foot, 2 inches tall.

Seriously Game Freak. Seriously messing with my proportions.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I ***** a lot of name pronunciation when I was little ("Kai-ore-gee," "Groo-don," "Ho-Ho," "Ray-kway-zuh") and that was probably the worst. My friends and I called it "Sue-see-on." ._.

Now Gyarados, I'm pretty sure, I actually got right when I was younger. Maybe it was just legendaries that I had the problem with; they were too awesome for me to say their names correctly. :B
I'm suddenly reminded of "Raykwanzza".

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Serebii updated confirming the entire name list. Hell yeah.

Conkelherpderp. Hell no. D:

M.K

Level 55
Serebii updated confirming the entire name list. Hell yeah.

Conkelherpderp. Hell no. D:
I finally got some justification for Conkledurr.

It's a combination of "Conk" and "Elder". Supposedly it's Pokedex refers to the fact that it's both A) Really really old and B ) Uses it's concrete blocks as walking sticks.

So, it's actually really old....didn't get that before.

EDIT: Or Concrete + Elder...
....or Concrete + Durr
or Conk, Concrete, Elder, and Durr.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I finally got some justification for Conkledurr.

It's a combination of "Conk" and "Elder". Supposedly it's Pokedex refers to the fact that it's both A) Really really old and B ) Uses it's concrete blocks as walking sticks.

So, it's actually really old....didn't get that before.
Yeah, or not necessarily old, but more experienced. Its Japanese name actually makes reference to that too. See, if you're not going to bother with researching the Japanese names too, it's always good to get more information before judging the English names as crap.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hmmmm i just made a team testing out random pokemon and their effectiveness

emboar reckless flareblitz is extremely strong LOL, but apparently darmanitan's is still stronger? idk

musharna assist power sets are pretty good. barrier + calm mind.

Top Bottom