• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Nope. Dasutodasu is classified as the Garbage Dump Pokemon, at least that's Bulbapedia says. How very appealing.

Poison Heal would definitely make it more usable. XD
I still don't like how it's a generic "Muk". They should've given it a second type (like Steel) to differentiate it, rather than make a sort of Muk "clone".

Come to think of it, that was my problem with some of Gen III's Pokémon: some of them were clones.

Beautifly - Butterfree
Dustox - Venomoth
Slaking - Snorlax
Feebas - Magikarp
Plusle/Minun - Pikachu

There are others, but you get the picture. In hindsight, it's no big deal, but I still like to see some uniqueness in Pokémon. That said, it's obvious they'll completely run out of ideas eventually, but until they do...

Moozle

Smash Champion
The only acceptable thing about the Ice Cream evolution line is the first and last of the line. The middle feels like such a "I'm not a Pokemon, just a step in the line, don't mind me!" feel to it. The first one is cute, it's got some type of purpose because
it's found around the Ice Storage Area and it mildly makes sense
and the last one is a combination of many Ice cream-like elements which gives it's design a sort of "homage" to desserts in general (I count: Milkshake, Banana Split, Ice Cream Cone, Double Scoop Ice Cream Cone).

In fact, alot of the middle-line Pokemon have that "I'm just a stepping stone to the last evolution" feel to them:

-Shandera's Pre-Vo
-Onkokkosu's Pre-Vo
-Ice Cream's Pre-Vo
-Gamegeroge's Pre-Vo
You're forgetting the biggest example of this; Gigear and Gigigear. Gigear is pretty much completely unnecessary, seeing as how it didn't bring an upgrade in usefulness or appearance (for the most part).

MrACalaway

Smash Rookie
That's an awesome line up I was pretty impressed by some of the designs, but on some of them it looked liked they just recycled the same thing from previous generations well they always did that, but still. Oh, and is it me or do the vast majority of the new pokemon look extremly pissed

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
No, Shiny form is purple and has different colored streaks on the body.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Why do we care about coloration again?

Back in MY day Pokemon only had one gender! And they all looked the same!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Top 10 favorite and disliked 5th Gen Pokémans

[collapse=Top 10 Favorites]
This is truly a beautifully designed Pokémon that resonates with the nostalgist in me for the style of 1st and 2nd Gen, while acting as the glue for this generation by tying the weak designs to the good ones of old.
I hated this guy at first, immensely. But he grew on me so much that his muppet visage eventually earned him a great amount of respect from me in terms of design and character.
I love the first and final stages of this family so much, but Ranpuraa bridges them together. You couldn't just jump from a measley candle to a full-blown chandelier. Plus he has little arms, which gives him a tad more character than his evolutionary relatives, so as as standalone Pokémon, this guy is good.
Easily my favorite starter Pokémon of all time. When he was first unveiled along with Snivy and Tepig, I was wary. Snivy automatically got the seal of approval, while the latter two continued to battle in my head over who was better. Not only did Oshawott prevail, but his awkwardness ended up boosting the Pokémon way up on my ladder.
I never felt that Ariados properly depicted a spider, nor was I ever too fond of the species. Spinarak was cute, but its evolution—while being a blessed 2nd Gen creature—just didn't hold up with me. While Denchura still isn't exactly a spider because of a lack of 8 legs, it has four, which is closer to 8 than 6 is, since 6 is character of insects, and 4, being half of 8, is inherently character of arachnids. Beyond that, he just has a certain charm.
The successor to Lucario who was the successor to Mewtwo. Legendary already. Zoroark surpasses Lucario, and while no one will ever beat Mewtwo in terms of absolute perfect design, he certainly has his own thing going for him.
My favorite fossil Pokémon since Kabutops. Upon seeing the sprite when they were all first leaked, I was instantly reminded of the dinosaur birds of old. When I later found out it was a fossil Pokémon, I was even more thrilled to see them expanding their ideas in terms of what fossil Pokémon can be. I think this Pokémon alone shines a good light on the future of fossil Pokémon.
Freaking adorable. Reminiscent of Caterpie and Weedle, yet with a cute leaf over its head. Another Pokémon who I feel summons the feeling of 1st and 2nd Gen.
Everyone hates this guy. I love him! Think about this: if he was part of 1st Gen and Weezing was just introduced with 5th Gen, you'd probably hate Weezing. Totally reminiscent of both Weezing and Muk and thus, brings back the feeling of Team Rocket (especially the Team Rocket set of playing cards, what with their garbage-oriented Trainer cards and such). Plus, he reminds me of Jabba the Hutt.
For a long time I wanted a hybrid crab/rock Pokémon and they finally delivered. Didn't expect a cube of layered sediment to take place of the shell, but I love it! I've always enjoyed the crustacean Pokémon, namely Kingler and Crawdaunt, so this guy fits in just perfectly.[/collapse]

[collapse=Top 10 Disliked]
Seriously one of the worst Pokémon ever designed. If you're going to make a successor to Chansey, do it right. Chansey was an awesome design and concept, with a lot of character. This just doesn't feel right at all.
See, there are Pokémon like Charmeleon and Rampuura that are awesome bridges between their basic and final forms, but then there are those that have no character whatsoever - like this guy. I would not care to have this Pokémon at all. Its prevolution it alright, a cute little one-eyed rock thing. I'd like to catch it. But upon evolving, if I didn't know what this thing evolved into (which is awesome), I'd probably trash it. It seems to be a last minute creation for the sake of evolving into Gigariasu. From a developmental standpoint, it seems as if the final form was created first, and then the base form. But there had to be a bridge, right? That's where this guy comes in. They tried to make it look like a natural and proportional evolution (which it does for the most part because the first form is radically different from its final form), but it still doesn't stand alone as a Pokémon. Again, this versus Charmeleon, or even Graveler for the sake of being a spiritual successor to the Golem family.
As many have said before, this looks like a drawing out of some 8 year old's notebook. I'm pretty much convinced that one of the developer's kids drew this, and with just a little tweaking, had his dad turn this into an official Pokémon. Yeah that's cool to do as a father and your son will be grateful for several years until he realizes how ridiculous it looks among all the species of Pokémon. "You contributed a Pokémon??" "Yeah... regrettably". That's something no one should have to say, but he's probably going to do so somewhere down the line... that is of course if this is the case behind the Pokémon. If not, then its automatically even worse of a design. Based off a gargoyle? Are you joking?
*Puke*. Its prevolutions are okay, but don't repeat the Weezing concept with an ice cream cone! C'mon! Oh wait, this is because they let an American design it, which brings me to...
...this guy. He looks alright in the art, but the sprite is atrocious. I almost chose its prevolution, but it looks just ever-so-slightly more like a Pokémon, and not like some typical anime robot-golem a.k.a. a Digimon.
Fortunately the artwork makes this Pokémon a bit more bearable than its sprite, but that won't excuse the sheer annoyance that its right foreleg creates. I'm not at all fond of making a quadruped trio based off of the Three Musketeers firstly and this guy doesn't help at all. At least the other two look like they could be some freak evolutions of Granbull and Shaymin, which at least strikes a chord with both 2nd and 4th Gen, but this guy is just awkward. I like the color scheme, but it looks like what was once a natural creature got a bunch of accessories thrown on him. Also, if his hooves/feet were more slender, I'd probably love him, but they aren't. They're like bell-bottom jeans and I just don't dig that.
LOL
Would have fit better as a Super Mario enemy.
There always has to be that one Pokémon with an alternate version to catch. Makes sense to make it a fish or something. Well, Basurao itself doesn't have a lot going for it as it is, but its face at least speaks to me in terms of character. This guy's eye position and general mechanized, unnatural look just renders it totally unappealing. Really just another filler Pokémon.
Chillarmy is cute. So why did you guys ruin it by dressing it up with fluff, otherwise not changing it at all? A complete waste of a Pokémon. Kind of reminds me of how Gatomon from Digimon was a Champion, despite totally looking like a Rookie.[/collapse]

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
love your post spire

shanderaa and its preevolutions jumped out at me as my new favorite pokemon INSTANTLY once i saw them

it was arcanine for the longest time

but a purple flames ghost chandelier pokemon? awesome. sooo sooo beautiful in a creepy way

JOE!

Smash Hero
the reasoning makes me think SPire is just going on a "back in my day!" rant in the back of his head when looking at the pokes, instead of looking at them as things for their gen as opposed to "successors" to past mons

Spire

III
BRoomer
the reasoning makes me think SPire is just going on a "back in my day!" rant in the back of his head when looking at the pokes, instead of looking at them as things for their gen as opposed to "successors" to past mons
Actually I've come to terms with the lot of 5th Gen, even with some of those I initially resented because of their designs. At first glance, I thought aside from some classically styled creatures like Wargle that Pokémon had fallen far from the tree, but I began to appreciate a lot of them for what they were. 5th Gen has ushered in a lot of spiritual successors, but even the likes of Nageki and Dageki don't bother me all that much anymore. But even if I was being an overt nostalgist, why would that matter? I like what I like for a reason, and that's that.

All in all, I've grown to love most of the 5th Gen creatures. A number of them are true oddballs, but that's what gives them their charm. Those that I selected as my top 10 favorites equally represent a new age of Pokémon as well as recalling the old.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm finding it easier to like this gen than a lot of 4th. Magmortar has yet to grow on me.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm still really upset over Oshawatt's evolution line. Said it once and I'll say it again I truly believe it could have had the best evo line we've had since Charmander's if GF didn't mess up with Daikenki.

I guess I'm the only one that still feels like the evolution from Futachimaru to Daikenki is too dynamic. Almost everything about Futachimaru screams "warning... bad*** giant (samurai?) sea otter approaching." But instead we get a Narwhal with a huge mustache. Daikenki's a cool Pokemon for sure, but the fact that it's Futachimaru's evolution puts me off.

I just don't see it...

UberMario

Smash Master
Yeah, the evolution is dumb. I wanted something like these:

It even has the murex shell in the same place, and this came out before the leak. lololol

Futachimaru looks better in white too:

And don't get me started on the Tepig line. Honestly, for some of this generation, I think there are some pokemon that the fans made better evolutions than the actual creators. No offense to the creators, it just seems odd for some of these pokemon to transform into others, or even exist. (Not to mention Poke-clones)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'm still really upset over Oshawatt's evolution line. Said it once and I'll say it again I truly believe it could have had the best evo line we've had since Charmander's if GF didn't mess up with Daikenki.

I guess I'm the only one that still feels like the evolution from Futachimaru to Daikenki is too dynamic. Almost everything about Futachimaru screams "warning... bad*** giant (samurai?) sea otter approaching." But instead we get a Narwhal with a huge mustache. Daikenki's a cool Pokemon for sure, but the fact that it's Futachimaru's evolution puts me off.

I just don't see it...
Wow, I actually agree with TRG for once.

Seriously, sea otters and narwhals are like two of my most favoritest animals forever and ever, but even I've found it hard to really like Daikenki. I mean he's a badass and all, but for him to come from Futachimaru it just seems really weird for me. In a bad way.

Oh well. I still love Oshawott all the same. <3

I don't like UberMario's wishes either though, so maybe I'm just harder to please on this subject than usual.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
^First time for everything <3

But that white Futachimaru gave me a hard on.

Now that I think about it, B/W has the worst set of starters to date in my eyes.

Spire

III
BRoomer
4th Gen had the worst starters imo. They alienated me so much.

Man, I want to start drawing new Pokémon again.

UberMario

Smash Master
Me too. I kind of quit when everyone else here did. :urg:

I did make a 200+ pokemon roster for a fictional [well, more fictional. lol] region though, does anyone want to see and rate it in the SR?

Spire

III
BRoomer
YES. Please post it. If anything, it'll be inspiration to start creating again and that's totally worth it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Me too. I kind of quit when everyone else here did. :urg:

I did make a 200+ pokemon roster for a fictional [well, more fictional. lol] region though, does anyone want to see and rate it in the SR?
YES. Please post it. If anything, it'll be inspiration to start creating again and that's totally worth it.
Or like. Post it in the SWF-Dex. I wanna bring back the old threads - Evolution: Beyond SmashCAP, Ancestral Tree, etc. Those were awesome.

UberMario

Smash Master
Alright, looking back on my list, I might refine the definitions a bit first. (So they are easier to imagine)

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
You know, I wouldn't dislike it as much if it didn't make me think of those flat fish. I mean, i'm confused. Really confused. Is it a fish, is it not? It could be a potato for all I know. I think i'm going to sit in that courner over there hugging a Magmortar telling it how pretty it is.

And I hate Magmortar.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I freaking love Maggyo. It's the trolling Pokémon. Everyone wanted a Dunsparce evo, so Gamefreak just gave us another Dunsparce. Awesome.

But on top of that, it just looks silly and I enjoy it for that very reason.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
How can you hate Maggyo?! Disliking Maggyo is similar to, disliking Dunsparce. If you want a truly forgotten Pokemon pre-Generation V, and only pre-Generation V because Gamefreak trolled us all again with Mamanbou.

Luvdisc.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
True, I can't really hate the potato-thing. It has an interesting type matchup and is a bit of a fresh look at fish-like pokemon. But does anyone else find it ironic that it lives in mud and water but is weak to ground and water respectively?

I think I feel a comic coming on.

DLO

Smash Journeyman
And to top all of that, its stats and movepool aren't that bad either.
The Trap Pokèmon indeed.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Why do many people think Daikenki is a narwhal?

This is a narwhal:

This is Daikenki:

It's obviously a sea lion:

The thing on Daikenki's head that people are mistaking for a narwhal's horn is actually based on a real seashell, the murex:

Anyway, hope that clears it up.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I knew he wasn't a narwhal, but the awesome horn and flippers made me want to pretend he was. You know, because I like narwhals wayyy more than sea lions and the murex.
Yeah. Now that I look at it, I really like the design of Daikenki's head; I just wish the rest of him was more inspired.

Sort of like this:

Top Bottom