• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

DLO

Smash Journeyman
Hmm that seems plausible, but it almost seems too smart for NoA, and that hasn't convinced me it isn't just Water + Otter.

I can see the water starters names now:

Oshawott (Ocean+Shell+Water+Otter)

Oshamurai (Ocean+Shell+Samurai)

Woalga (Water+Otter+Dialga)
wat.

Well, sometimes NoA is good with the names, look at, uhm, dunno at the moment.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I am mad.

They should have named pokabu and his lot

piglit
pignite
emboar

Evolutions respectively. Snivy's ok, but smugleaf is also far better.

oshawott is just dumb..

DLO

Smash Journeyman
Oshawott = George Oshawa, a man born in a poor samurai family.
Who says the names are unoriginal and dumb are dumb. Smugleaf is stupid like every other fan name, apart from Piglit who it's actually something intelligent.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Oshawott = George Oshawa, a man born in a poor samurai family.
Who says the names are unoriginal and dumb are dumb. Smugleaf is stupid like every other fan name, apart from Piglit who it's actually something intelligent.
"Oshawott" still sounds weird for a Pokémon name to me, though I'll admit, it could be worse. I'm not too fond of "Tepig": I know what the reference is supposed to be, but I still feel they could've come up with something more catchy. "Snivy", I actually don't mind. Personally, I think it fits it well, and the name rolls off the tongue smoothly. Overall, the Pokémon names aren't bad so far... though regardless of what people say, and although I'll probably get used to it in due time, I do not like "Unova".

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I don't see why everyone is hating Unova. It's probably the most clever name yet.

Besides, if it was still Isshu, us English-speaking folk would probably have a few Isshus not confusing it for another word.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Besides, if it was still Isshu, us English-speaking folk would probably have a few Isshus not confusing it for another word.
Aaahaha... clever. XD

In all seriousness, it's not that I have an "Isshu" with Unova in terms of the way it sounds more than I'm just used to the tradition of using the Japanese names of regions. I know it's petty in hindsight and I'll probably get used to it, but I still don't like the idea much. I guess I'm just nitpicking. XD

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Now that I've gotten a good look at them all (well, almost all of them), these are the Pokemon of the 5th gen that I'm still not impressed with (design-wise):

One of the ugliest Pokemon, IMO. Same goes for his evolution:

What is this?

And I still don't like the Three Musketeer Pokemon, although Terrakion, the Rock-type, does look kind of cool.

On the other hand, I love the designs of these guys gals:

I like how the first form has the upside-down top part of the skull, and the evolution has the teeth as a little skirt. (I wonder where the skull came from?)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Gamerooge or whatever his name is (I just call him Cancer-Mon) is absolutely hideous. And as you've pointed out, his pre-evolutions are not better off at all.

Shishiburidon or whatever's pre-evolution is essentially...

UberMario

Smash Master

What is this?
Unlike it's evolutions, which are a lamprey and a weird, armed, monster lamprey, this is a Glass Knifefish:

Knifefish use electricity to navigate around, aswell as [in some species] to electrocute prey.

As for the designs I'm not impressed with:

And that's saying a lot, because out of the first four generations, the only ones I didn't like where Magmortar and Rypherior, and those didn't even bother me that much. Zuruzukin does look better in the art, but he seems as non-Pokemon-y as he can possibly be. The typing this generation just sucks though, there is no reason for the Kibago line not to be part-Steel, the clam ninja to be pure bug, or the cotton pokemon that can fly to not be a flying type. The legendary trios (especially the fighting-type trio) don't really portray their types well, in fact, they tend to portray other typings better than their own. The gear evos and the goth and cel pre-evos were totally unnecessary too.

The Pokemon that I didn't like before, but changed my mind after seeing Ken's artwork:

^^ For whatever reason, it really grew on me after seeing this. ^^

The typing makes more sense now that the hands are visible . . . . at the second set of elbows . . . . .

Their typing still sucks though.

And my 10 favorite designs:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I like how the first form has the upside-down top part of the skull, and the evolution has the teeth as a little skirt. (I wonder where the skull came from?)
Cubone's mother ;-;

And Uber, Santa has now put you on his naughty list for disliking the Zurus.

And I will post my likes/dislikes later.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Here's my top 10 favorite designs this gen:

This guy is just bursting with personality. Simple, but unique.

Another character design that has a lot of personality. Real gators wear pink.

I've liked Desukaan since we first saw his back sprite, and that love has only grown over time. A well-executed idea with a deranged, evil look.

Ah, Zoroark. I didn't like him much a first, but now I think he's pretty cool. His concept - illusions - is awesome, and his look shows this: a thin, rather frail-looking character with a sly smile on his face who disguises itself as other Pokemon to lure out things it can kill.

Plus he never fails to draw out Shandera by Illusioning into Nattorei. <3

Man, this guy is cool. His preevo is adorable, too.

As much as I hate him in 5th gen battling, I have to say that, as far as design is concerned, Shandera is easily one of the coolest, most unique Pokemon out there.

At first I hated this thing, because I couldn't discern any of its details. Now that I see its hands and face, it is one cool Pokemon.

Easily one of my favorite Pokemon period, let alone 5th gen. Komotana manages to be extremely cool but also kind cute, and his concept is awesome. Well done, Ken.

Love him. I wish they stuck with a design closer to this for Sazandora than his bloated floating look.

Pissed-offed robot ant. Awesome.

Aaand then least favorites:

I hate all of these monkeys. They look stupid, they have too much going on, they suck. The prevos are alright, though.

Still ugly, still looks like a doodle out of a 2nd grade girl's diary.

The female form is alright, but the male Kenhorou clashes waaay too much. I understand that male birds are supposed to stick out, but this thing just looks like a jumble of random colors and designs slapped onto a single Pokemon.

Ugly. Bad color scheme. Looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book colored wrong.

Just as bad as his prevo.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pretty dumb looking.

I think I dislike more Pokemon out of this gen than any other (except for maybe 2nd or 4th), but I definitely love the most out of it.

UberMario

Smash Master
You don't need to hunt the art down, all but three of them were in the link I posted a page ago. lol

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Likes.

Smugleaf. I guess I can live with Snivy, since Smugleaf be smug.

Derp-Mon. The almighty hilarious Derp-Mon.

Croc-Mon and his younger brother are legit. The basic stage is also cute.

Awww, they're like meatloaves. And in Erufuun's case - lambchops.

Corsola was meh but Abagura showcases Water / Rock nicely. Okay stat spread, too.

They really pulled this guy off nicely.

Aside from Candle-Mon being too cute, and Chandelier-Mon being broken these two have really neat designs.

Onono-Mon. For something which has blades as teeth, they did a nice job although the coloring is mediocre.

These things are cute. As Zook stated earlier, I wish they kept the hydra theme for Sazandora.

Reshiram and Zekrom. Nothing really needs to be said. Just keep them Black Yin and White Yang, dammit.

Honorable Mention

Terakion is so legit. Not only does it looks amazing, it's probably the best physical sweeper out there.

Falco-Mon. Only Articanus, Wave, and UltiMario would get that, but anyway his design is nice. Archeos and Aerodactyl are cool.

Mothra-Mon. It's ugly, but what kind of moth isn't? I like what they did with his wings and stuff.

Dislikes.

I really wouldn't mind this guy if it weren't the cancer-esque things on his neck. And let's not forget his English name.

Zubat-Only-Uglier-Mon. What is up with his nose?

Cancer-Mon and his evolutionary line are just downright awful. Did Gamefreak forget Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Swampert exist?

I can see the concept. But the two being practically identical is lame. Also, outfits...?

Trash-Bag-Mon. The fact that Gamefreak even classifies it as a Trash Disposal Pokemon or whatever is proof enough.

Cool story whip, bro.

So...an Electrode-colored mushroom.

Okay. Giaru wasn't too bad, but when your evolutions literally gain one new part, it's pretty disappointing.

I still don't know what this is.

Seriously. You look like you came from a 7-year old's coloring book. A bad coloring book at that.

Honorable Mention

Maggyo. Fricking Maggyo.

The Grass-type palette swap wasn't bad. The Fire-type one was mediocre but this one just went downhill.

Emboar was already pretty bad, but Chaoboo? My God.

"Remember kids, Gamefreak hates you and everything you stand for."
Live by this quote.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
How does Sazandora not have the hydra theme going on? It has three heads, it just uses two of them as hands. :lick:

Oobemu is an alien obviously. With a big brain.

Gigear and Gigigear are no different than stuff like Magneton, Weezing, Dugtrio, and Muk.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
How does Sazandora not have the hydra theme going on? It has three heads, it just uses two of them as hands. :lick:

Oobemu is an alien obviously. With a big brain.

Gigear and Gigigear are no different than stuff like Magneton, Weezing, Dugtrio, and Muk.
Magneton I understand. But even then the independent Magnemites are oriented differently (the magnets have to face at an angle, etc.).

Weezing is different in that the two heads are designed differently. Hell one is larger than the other. Dugtrio is a triplet of angry Diglett. Notice the slanted eyebrows. Muk is just Muk.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It's still the same basic concept.

My only problem with Gigigear (apart from its TERRIBLE MOVEPOOL :mad:) is that there's very little possible variation for the art. I don't mind its design (or its name, which I find hilarious).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Metang and Metagross were just adding on as well, as an example of something pulling that off nicely. Gigigear gets some awesome moves, but alas, not much more to take advantage of them.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I really like Oshawotts final evo, I just wish it was an unrelated pokemon. If they had continued with the samurai theme we could have had a really cool looking pokemon.

I'm so disappointed in the polar bear. I wanted a polar bear pokemon (I was thinking Ice/Dark) and had created some designs for one. The official design is pretty lame.

DLO

Smash Journeyman
I don't get how someone can dislike poor Kokoromori. The guy is most similar to a real bat then Zubat, Golbat and Crobat.
Nageki and Dageki with outfits? Why, because Hitmonchan and Jynx had something different?
Finally, disliking Dasutodasu is understandable..but he's original at leadt.
Here's my least favorite Pokèmon of all 649

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I don't get how someone can dislike poor Kokoromori. The guy is most similar to a real bat then Zubat, Golbat and Crobat.
Nageki and Dageki with outfits? Why, because Hitmonchan and Jynx had something different?
Quoted for truth.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Man, that thing gets Tail Glow. You'll be disliking him even more when he passes +3 Sp. Atk. to something stupid like Alakazam or Gengar.

That aside, if we're disliking Bug-types from this generation mine would probably have to be Agiruuda or whatever. That "I'm-kinda-like-a-ninja-but-not-really" bug. The one with like base 230 Speed.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
[collapse=favorites]

SO. SMUG. CANNOT HANDLE THE POWER.

Not only is this guy cute, but he's freaking amazing in-game.

The Monkey Trio + Yanakkie are all cool looking. These guys were a really clever idea IMO.

These two are both defined by the same words: Unrelentingly ******.

Dokkora is a favorite of mine, then Dotekkotsu is terribad and Roob is ok. oh well.

So cool his eyes are sunglasses.

Deskuan is so creepy. He's perfect!

Love me some cell mon every day of the week.

Pringles always were my favorite chips.

GEARS.
I like the evos too but I feel like I'll get harassed if I put them up here.

What the **** is NOT to like about Shanderaa?

War. Eagle. Wargle. Nuff Said.

ROBOT ANT DERP KILL EVERYTHING

He might almost look like a Digimon, but then I just guess Digimon look more ******.
[/collapse]

[collapse=the bad]

UGLY FARTS

CATBREON. DOING IT WRONG.

That face will be the death on mankind.

Oh god what even is this thing

Its prevo is sorta cute, but this monster is UGLY

Goth Smoochum? No thanks.

WHY DOES YOUR LINE EVEN EXIST

Not really TOO bad, but the evo could have always been done much better than this ugly fart.

Herpherpaderp.

[/collapse]

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Fun-fact: The ice cream Pokemon (and the Ghost/Ground golems) were designed by an American artist. As in, from the United States. Herpderp

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Fun-fact: The ice cream Pokemon (and the Ghost/Ground golems) were designed by an American artist. As in, from the United States. Herpderp
Wait legit? No wonder it's just a mutated ice cream cone.

Edit - It's a smoking mutated ice cream cone, at that.
The Goruggo thing isn't too bad either. But his face / eyes...

M.K

Level 55
The only acceptable thing about the Ice Cream evolution line is the first and last of the line. The middle feels like such a "I'm not a Pokemon, just a step in the line, don't mind me!" feel to it. The first one is cute, it's got some type of purpose because
it's found around the Ice Storage Area and it mildly makes sense
and the last one is a combination of many Ice cream-like elements which gives it's design a sort of "homage" to desserts in general (I count: Milkshake, Banana Split, Ice Cream Cone, Double Scoop Ice Cream Cone).

In fact, alot of the middle-line Pokemon have that "I'm just a stepping stone to the last evolution" feel to them:

-Shandera's Pre-Vo
-Onkokkosu's Pre-Vo
-Ice Cream's Pre-Vo
-Gamegeroge's Pre-Vo

DLO

Smash Journeyman
The "cancer" on Gamageroge and is line are actually...you know, what the frog have in the cheeks? The thing that makes them ribbit? That.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Fat, herpes, cancer, and pregnant.

The toad is a clear sign that GF based this region off America.

I actually like Shandera's pre-evo. It actually makes sense to me. It just upgrades each time. Candle, lantern, chandelier.

The ice cream cone, on the other hand, seems like an Ice-type Koffing-Weezing knock-off with a baby-ish form. So I'd actually blame the baby-ish form for making the line make the pre-evo look pointless to avoid a ****storm for a sure-sign in a lack of creativity.

Top Bottom