• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Nevermind Feraligatr. Trick Starmie would've been devastating.

Starmie
--------
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Swimming Goggles
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Moves:
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Trick

Sweep the living hell out of your opponent. If they switch a possible non-Water counter that lacks the Abilities, Insomnia, Vital Spirit, or Klutz and lacks the move Sleep Talk, Trick the Swimming Goggles onto the opponent to shut them down.

Honestly, if an item like that really did exist, it'd either be banned, or the Item Clause would be a stictly enforced rule for Gen V (if it won't be already).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There has never been an item that has caused a Pokemon to become broken in itself except Soul Dew, which is why there's a Soul Dew clause and not an item clause (of which would greatly weaken every kind of team, which is sorta detrimental for the metagame). There would more likely be a Swimming Goggles Clause.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Actually, screw Feraligatr or Starmie.

Aerodactyl @ Swimming Goggles
Jolly / Timid
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
~ Sleep Talk
~ Roar
~ Whirlwind
~ Dragon Tail

Yes. Even better than before~~

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Actually, screw Feraligatr or Starmie.

Aerodactyl @ Swimming Goggles
Jolly / Timid
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
~ Sleep Talk
~ Roar
~ Whirlwind
~ Dragon Tail

Yes. Even better than before~~
Ahahahaaa! Well played. Always forcing switches without suffering from Move Priority. Combined with entry hazzards and it's pretty much game (assuming you've wiped out your opponent's Aerodactyl checks/counters).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ahahahaaa! Well played. Always forcing switches without suffering from Move Priority. Combined with entry hazzards and it's pretty much game (assuming you've wiped out your opponent's Aerodactyl checks/counters).
This was simply the Generation V equivalent of that stupid Aerodactyl set from Generation IV. The only difference is that Generation IV's version had to run Leftovers and Rest in place of Swimming Goggles and Dragon Tail, of course.

Shoutout to Umbreon for showing me that set.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This was simply the Generation V equivalent of that stupid Aerodactyl set from Generation IV. The only difference is that Generation IV's version had to run Leftovers and Rest in place of Swimming Goggles and Dragon Tail, of course.

Shoutout to Umbreon for showing me that set.
Hardly an equivalent: the thing would easily surpass its Gen IV counterpart and be labeled THE best Phazer hands down. But oh, Swimming Goggles was merely an evanescent dream possibly conjured by a troll. Such cruel pranks make me so sadface (for lack of a better meme). :\

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Keep in mind that there are plenty of abilities that can be abused in sun and rain respectively:

Sunny Day
-------------
Chlorophyll
Solar Power
Leaf Guard
Flower Gift
Forecast

Rain Dance
-------------
Swift Swim
Rain Dish
Dry Skin
Forecast
Hydration

Also, note the benefits the weather brings:

Sunny Day
------------
- Boosts the power of Fire-type moves
- Solarbeam can be fired immediately
- Water damage is halved
- Thunder's Acc is reduced to 50
- Synthesis, Morning Sun, and Moonlight restores 75% of the user's HP

Rain Dance
-------------
- Water-type moves are boosted
- Fire damage is halved
- Thunder's Acc becomes 100
- Solarbeam requires 2 turns of charge

As you can see, there's a massive amount of Pokémon that benefit from those two weather effects. Of course, Sandstorm has its obvious strengths as well:

Sandstorm Abilities
----------------------
Sand Veil
Sand Strength
Sand Throw

Sandstorm Effects
--------------------
- All non-Rock, Ground and Steel-type Pokemon takes damage each turn
- All Rock-types receives a 50% boost to their Sp. Defense
Crossed out abilities that don't matter because the Pokemon which get them are bad.

There. The residual damage and Sp. Defense boost are the selling points to Sandstorm. It is indeed a great weather effect, but to say it will completely dominate over all other weather is just blind and shallow. Remember that there will always be variables in the metagame that can effectively counter other variables. On top of that, prediction and mind games also plays a huge role as well. I'm sure Sandstorm will beat a Rain Dance team with proper prediction and all, but one mustn't ignore the fact that Rain Dance and Sunny Day teams contain Water and Grass Pokemon that carry STAB super-effective Water and Grass moves that will still hit the oftentimes Rock and Ground-based Pokemon found in Sandstorm teams as well.
None of this changes the fact that Politoed and Ninetails, the two other Weather Pokemon, are both mediocre and predictable as to what set they run.

And, once again, sandstorm Pokemon are actually still good when not in a sandstorm. See: Garchomp, Doryuuzu, Gliscor, Skarmory, Nattorei, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Swinub, Metagross.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Crossed out abilities that don't matter because the Pokemon which get them are bad.

None of this changes the fact that Politoed and Ninetails, the two other Weather Pokemon, are both mediocre and predictable as to what set they run.

And, once again, sandstorm Pokemon are actually still good when not in a sandstorm. See: Garchomp, Doryuuzu, Gliscor, Skarmory, Nattorei, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Swinub, Metagross.
Ahahahaha. Zook doing what he does best. :3

To be fair Kingdra was still potent in OU and Kabutops was...decent in UU. There's always Pokemon like Milotic and Azumarrill for Rain as far as lower tiers are concerned. New aforementioned Encourage Feraligatr would be a nice addition to the Rain Dance power-hitters as well. But it's still obvious Sandstorm is ridiculous and ridiculous still.

ss118

Smash Master
Sandstorm is entirely overrated. It is just easier to abuse because of the amount of types that are naturally immune to it(three compared to Hail's one) and the pokemon who put it up are better than the other ones that put up Rain, Hail, or Sun(excluding Kyogre+Groudon).

Rain is naturally the scariest, because the best abusers get a boost in STAB as well as a doubling in speed. Water is also more of an amazing attacking type than Rock, Ground, or Steel. Steel is too easily resisted, and people are always careful to not have a lack of rock and ground resists. Not to mention that so many people overprepare for Doryuuzu at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to run through the metagame with a Rain Dance Kingdra... that is, if Nattorei wasn't obnoxiously popular, mainly because of the fact that he resists water and grass while being immune to SS.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sandstorm is entirely overrated. It is just easier to abuse because of the amount of types that are naturally immune to it(three compared to Hail's one) and the pokemon who put it up are better than the other ones that put up Rain, Hail, or Sun(excluding Kyogre+Groudon).

Rain is naturally the scariest, because the best abusers get a boost in STAB as well as a doubling in speed. Water is also more of an amazing attacking type than Rock, Ground, or Steel. Steel is too easily resisted, and people are always careful to not have a lack of rock and ground resists. Not to mention that so many people overprepare for Doryuuzu at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to run through the metagame with a Rain Dance Kingdra... that is, if Nattorei wasn't obnoxiously popular, mainly because of the fact that he resists water and grass while being immune to SS.
Rain also gives one of their main weaknesses perfect accaracy though, even it has it's downside. Unless your running a Swampert or something, your waters will have to be wary of moves like Thunder and Zap Cannon.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
So apparently, we're getting the English names for Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru on Monday. Anyone have any last-minute realistic guesses before the big reveal?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So apparently, we're getting the English names for Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru on Monday. Anyone have any last-minute realistic guesses before the big reveal?
Oddly enough, I can't think of anything within realistic reasoning. Even more odd, as I'm usually more creative than that. I guess we'll just have to wait until Monday, as all guesses are merely speculation.

I'll take a "shot-in-the-dark" for the otter, at least. I'll say "Wotter"? Y'know, because it's water and an otter... yeah, that was weak, but whatever. XD

UberMario

Smash Master
I was looking at some of the new artwork, thinking that it would make some of the new pokemon look better/do them more justice, then I saw this:

WTF Game Freak? What did you do to their eyes?!!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was looking at some of the new artwork, thinking that it would make some of the new pokemon look better/do them more justice, then I saw this:

WTF Game Freak? What did you do to their eyes?!!
Wow, that is a deisel huge pic. That Ground/Ghost thing looks weird. In fact, it almost reminds me of card, Orichalcos Shuneros, from Yu-Gi-Oh. XD

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Inb4 Smugleaf, Wotter, and Baycon/Pignite/Pignition are so popular the GF actually uses them.

On an unrelated note, I heard a rumor of Smugleaf being called Ivyper, and in the same rumor said Wotter would actually be called Wotter.

We'll just have to wait and see.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
It...kind of looks like they're winking at you. ;)

Ivyper doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but I might could see it as the middle evolution's name.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
In case anyone was wondering: http://pokebeach.com/2010/11/more-bw-ken-sugimori-artwork-revealed-through-game-guide

Gobitto and Goruugu are just too asymmetrical to have good designs for me. The eyes bug me, too.

Freezio and Hachiku have similar markings; fitting, since Freezio is based on a snowflake, known as a "sekka" in Japanese. Hachiku is the leader of the Sekka City Gym.

I think I can see Ulgamoth's eyes better?

Maggyo makes more sense to me; I didn't understand the shading, but now I see that it's got an "outline" of sorts of a darker brown.

Nattorei is amazing as usual. Still don't know what it's based off of, though.

It looks like Kirikizan has a mouth. And I still can't tell if the brighter part of Lamplar's flame is supposed to be a mouth (most likely not, since it's visible from the back, but I can't unsee it :mad:)

Aaaaaaaaaaand Kyurem has fangs. It kind of looks like a crocodile (alligator?).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Inb4 Smugleaf, Wotter, and Baycon/Pignite/Pignition are so popular the GF actually uses them.

On an unrelated note, I heard a rumor of Smugleaf being called Ivyper, and in the same rumor said Wotter would actually be called Wotter.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Wait, "Wotter" already existed? Huh, to think that I thought I was the first to think up that name. But if Wotter really is going to be the Otter's name, then it would seem rather weird, though honestly, it doesn't sound that bad when you think about it.

Ivyper sounds about right. I think its sound and pronounciation seems fair and simple, so I'd have no problem with that.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Wow, that is a deisel huge pic. That Ground/Ghost thing looks weird. In fact, it almost reminds me of card, Orichalcos Shuneros, from Yu-Gi-Oh. XD
Thought of that before, but it still reminds me more of a female Claydol than anything...yeah trying to get images out of head now.
Sutalja, Pokaboar, Wotter. Nah not really, but I really hope Jalorda isn't really the final name. :glare:

To add to that, I have no problem with Ivyper. An issue I've seen before is that the "American" way of pronouncing things of this sort tend to not roll off the tongue as well. Could just be me, seeing how I'll never grow out of saying everything in Spanish first for the lulz but meh. Forgot where I was going with this. At first glance I said it "Aye-viper/Ih-viper," as opposed to "Ivy-per" or anything else. I don't think any of it will really matter in the long run anyway. Like really, who isn't gonna name their Miju Wotter or Tsu Smugleaf?

Lastly, the pics of Goruguu/bitto actually did the opposite for me. I <3'd them upon first site, but couldn't judge very well from just the sprite(thought Goruguu/the flying/Iron Giant had sad eyes the whole time, for example). Other than that, the pics really shed light on Kyurem and Maggyo for me. Thought the former was on all fours for the longest time when it was first revealed due to the odd pose, and Maggyo is just..Maggyo. But he's growing on me like Zuruzukin. <3 some of the others, like Nattorei and the Kojo line.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
To me, Nattorei looks like a disfigured durian fruit. A spiky durian fruit.
Bulbapedia's sources believe it to be based off a brier plant, and goes on to say it resembles the bosses, Spore Spawn and Nettori from Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion respectively. The latter of which has a similar name to Nattorei.

That said, my initial thought upon seeing this was that it reminded me of the Ochu from the Final Fantasy series.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
So, am I the only one who'se on the Pokemon website saying "It's 1:18 in the morning, it's totally the 22nd. Now where are those names?!"

Yea, I probably am. Thought so...

Also, the only thing I can say about the names is that if any of the fan-made ones actually make it, it should be Smugleaf.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sooo... Are the English names released yet? Also, I think Smugleaf would be amazing if that was his final name. Wooter I can definetly see happening, but I have a feeling it's gonna be something else. But pignition or whatever other names he had don't seem to cut it for me.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Old news, but has anyone else taken a look at the Legendary Trios' Sugimori artwork?

I gotta say, I'm actually starting to like them, even the genies. I didn't know that those big appendages were supposed to be their tails; I figured that they were rings which would spin around them.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I still don't really like the quadrupeds (though they look a little better now), but I think the genies' artwork looks good. They look so manly.

Still waiting on those English starter names.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I still don't really like the quadrupeds (though they look a little better now), but I think the genies' artwork looks good. They look so manly.

Still waiting on those English starter names.
Considering the genies are based of Japanese weather deities who happen to be men, I'd say Gamefreak had better make them look manly! XD

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
He looks like a wrestler on his front arms.

It's kind of disconcerting that a mole can have a higher attack stat.

Also I just thought about this but if Ditto came on on something that had gained a speed boost from an ability like Unburden or Quick Feet, would it not copy that boost because it hadn't fulfilled the conditions of the ability?

So that would make something like SubPetaya Sceptile a fantastic late-game sweeper? =D

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
He looks like a wrestler on his front arms.

It's kind of disconcerting that a mole can have a higher attack stat.

Also I just thought about this but if Ditto came on on something that had gained a speed boost from an ability like Unburden or Quick Feet, would it not copy that boost because it hadn't fulfilled the conditions of the ability?

So that would make something like SubPetaya Sceptile a fantastic late-game sweeper? =D
The effects / benefits of Unburden, Guts, Quick Feet, etc. are not calculated as stat boosts. Therefore, Ditto switching in should theoretically not have the respective boost. If Ditto was statused and switched into a Guts Ursaring for example he would probably receive the Guts boost.

Top Bottom