• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

Fawriel

Smash Master
Your not alone. Most of Japan does too:p

She's actually the one pokemon I feel that I KNOW has a good chance seeing as it's the only one Sakurai placed on his list.
New best post!

The idea that Gardevoir actually has a good chance makes me giddy. n_n
Too bad that the topic of her likeliness is quite controversial.
Some will say that being in the list doesn't mean much, and that horrible thingies like Munchlax are more popular and thus likely. @_@

Give me Gardevoir or give me... err... something else cool!
I won't get my hopes up too much. :ohwell:

Fawriel

Smash Master
See the link in my signature. Or don't. But do realize that Gardevoir had possibly the biggest role in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and a somewhat higher standing as the signature Pokemon of your rival in R/S.

What, the other kid? No, no, I mean the rival who actually doesn't suck badly. I felt insulted when they expected me to be intimidated by that kid by the time I arrived in that port city. *shakes head*

Black/Light

Smash Master
Actually, I was saying it as Talk and have the same conflicted personality. Back story is unnessisary for persnality in Trophy World.
And that would be Movie Lucario. . . .the only Lucario to talk to date and have said persona/ back story:ohwell:.

(which was also on the vein of the whole Lucario story mode crap)

Stepped off that cloud yet?

kaid

Smash Master
And that would be Movie Lucario. . . .the only Lucario to talk to date and have said persona/ back story:ohwell:.

(which was also on the vein of the whole Lucario story mode crap)

Stepped off that cloud yet?
Just out of curiosity, before we continue, how would you defend Meowth against those charges?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Just out of curiosity, before we continue, how would you defend Meowth against those charges?
???Que??
I don't care about Meowth:ohwell:.
BUT, if theres a pokemon that gets into brawl based on anime than by all means theres a list of pokemon that "Deserve" to be in smash more than Lucario.TR Meowth is on the top of that list.

I use Meowth alot because with all this crap about how anime is important people seem to forget that the only other pokemon thats been as much as a important character in the anime/ seen as much as Pika in the anime is Meowth.

Kind of the same thing with the fans. Meowth fans want talking, gadgit using, gatar ripping anime Meowth well you Lucario fans seem to want talking, sad puppy, personal conflict anime Lucario.:ohwell:

kaid

Smash Master
They ARE the most iconic representations of that pokemon. If Sakurai is singling out a single meowth or a single Lucario (or a single yoshi) to put in Brawl, either he makes up a personality for SubEm, or he uses the existing ones, wherever they come from.

Black/Light

Smash Master
But are these GAME character personas?

He could very well make up a persona for each pokemon for SubEm. Hell, that could be a way for Meowth fans to get the crazy gadgit Meowth they want (a random Meowth finds spair parts from the "powers" that made the evil things and tries to make weapons out of them).

But by no means can we just say "Lucario has so much more personality because of w/e movie and should get because of it" when it's going to be a random Lucario no matter if he is playable or pokeyballed. It's like expecting Buizel to be the one from the anime if it got in (always on 2 legs, pissed off mug, a-hole bully persona).

I can see talking about fighting styles like if Buneary was in than she would, say, use her ears to punch (All lucario did was that one attack in his movie so you Lucario nuts will have to wait for Ash to pwn him to see more anime attacks ) but I can't see random Lucario's having to have that persona.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I use Meowth alot because with all this crap about how anime is important people seem to forget that the only other pokemon thats been as much as a important character in the anime/ seen as much as Pika in the anime is Meowth.

Kind of the same thing with the fans. Meowth fans want talking, gadgit using, gatar ripping anime Meowth well you Lucario fans seem to want talking, sad puppy, personal conflict anime Lucario.:ohwell:

Theres probably a GOOD reason for WANTING to forget a character like Meowth in the anime.

I got sick of Meowth by season 2.

Lucario's one and only anime appearance has made him not only more desirable by fans, but gives him a sad backstory just as Meowth has in the anime.

Of course, this is very bias an opinionated, as I hate Meowth with a passion, and have taken a liking to Lucario since D/P.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Lucario just seems like the right choice. Blaziken is overrated, & so is Lucario to a degree, but its still really good, & would fit in well.

Rapiido

Smash Cadet
Actually I take back my Rapidash comment. Only one Pokemon deserves to be playable. It shall wipe out the competition.

It, shall be. The one and only. MIGHTY.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Actually I take back my Rapidash comment. Only one Pokemon deserves to be playable. It shall wipe out the competition.

It, shall be. The one and only. MIGHTY.

Wobbuffet would be banned from tourney play if it's anything like it is in the games. =[

kaid

Smash Master
But are these GAME character personas?

He could very well make up a persona for each pokemon for SubEm. Hell, that could be a way for Meowth fans to get the crazy gadgit Meowth they want (a random Meowth finds spair parts from the "powers" that made the evil things and tries to make weapons out of them).

But by no means can we just say "Lucario has so much more personality because of w/e movie and should get because of it" when it's going to be a random Lucario no matter if he is playable or pokeyballed. It's like expecting Buizel to be the one from the anime if it got in (always on 2 legs, pissed off mug, a-hole bully persona).

I can see talking about fighting styles like if Buneary was in than she would, say, use her ears to punch (All lucario did was that one attack in his movie so you Lucario nuts will have to wait for Ash to pwn him to see more anime attacks ) but I can't see random Lucario's having to have that persona.
Indeed he can make up a persona, just like he can make up a moveset. If he wanted to, Pikachu could run around talking like Ling-Ling from Drawn Together. But to extend the moveset analigy, Sakurai has shown that he doesn't go farther from the source than he has to to make characters interesting. (for instance, Zelda never used the Great Fariy magic, but they were in the same game, and link wasn't using them...)

Pokemon personalities in-game are one word descriptions given to explain why that pokemn has +10% in one stat and -10% in another. Any one-word description is inherently, well, one dimentional. But simply by looking to associated material, Sakurai can find specific, interesting personalities that are already associated with the character.

kill_shot

Smash Journeyman
Me knowing quite something about pokemon will look at this and put who not I like most, but has the best chance.

Deoxys--ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE--Why? Because it has already been revealed as a pokeball pokemon

Lucario--Good chance. Being a farely popular pokemon and being one of the stars along with mew on the 8th movie. It has a better chance than most. Plust with it's wide movepool it'll get something.

Meowth--Pretty good chance--It is the star of Team rocket and is in nerly every episode.
Plus, it is quite popular among the fans as a choice in the game.

Sandshrew?? Very low. Not very popular.

Marowak--Even though I luv it, very low. not very popular and its apearance on the anime isn't much. same with sandshrew.

Dragonite--low--Since it's a flying type it would be kind of retarted to have him in the game.
unless it was like jigglypuff. but looking at the sight. not very many anime appearances either.

ok screw that, out of whats left. the only ones with a real chance are

Blaziken--He may be kind of ugly, but he looks really cool and is pretty good.

Plusle n Minun..pichu bro's? no

I could see an Eveelution as a pokeball, but as a pokemon i doubt it.

My prediction as to who will be in is:

Pikachu
Mewtwo
Lucario
Magmortar
Electivire/or a sinnoh starter.
maybe meowth/plusle ect..the other common ones

Pokeball:
Electrode
Trios
ho oh and lugia
sinnoh starters and hoenn starters.
some other random pokemon.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Indeed he can make up a persona, just like he can make up a moveset. If he wanted to, Pikachu could run around talking like Ling-Ling from Drawn Together. But to extend the moveset analigy, Sakurai has shown that he doesn't go farther from the source than he has to to make characters interesting. (for instance, Zelda never used the Great Fariy magic, but they were in the same game, and link wasn't using them...)
Your point?

Pokemon personalities in-game are one word descriptions given to explain why that pokemn has +10% in one stat and -10% in another. Any one-word description is inherently, well, one dimentional. But simply by looking to associated material, Sakurai can find specific, interesting personalities that are already associated with the character.
By "associated material" I hope you mean Pokemon Rev seeing as 3D pokemon games seem to be where alot of the pokes in melee got their move animations (and personalities as a added by product of such).
Check Jpuff out http://youtube.com/watch?v=RaJ1b09rXGU

By what your saying he would have used Anime Jpuff as the persona of a completely random Jpuff just because it's more "specific".

Tony_

Smash Ace
Have you considered the possibility that they haven't bothered to put up a 4th gen Pokeball Pokemon yet?
THANKS for reading my entire post. I have, and its very slim. If they already put up a Legendary Grouden, they aren't putting in a legendary Dialga. Simple logic and common sense really.

kaid

Smash Master
THANKS for reading my entire post. I have, and its very slim. If they already put up a Legendary Grouden, they aren't putting in a legendary Dialga. Simple logic and common sense really.
Care to explain why? Melee had every legendary in existance at the time... why shouldn't Brawl?

kaid

Smash Master
By "associated material" I hope you mean Pokemon Rev seeing as 3D pokemon games seem to be where alot of the pokes in melee got their move animations (and personalities as a added by product of such).
Check Jpuff out http://youtube.com/watch?v=RaJ1b09rXGU

By what your saying he would have used Anime Jpuff as the persona of a completely random Jpuff just because it's more "specific".
To be included in a storyline, yes.

The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens...

The anime is the only place where pokemon HAVE personal histories, because that's the only place they get singled out as individuals.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Care to explain why? Melee had every legendary in existance at the time... why shouldn't Brawl?
Only the 1st and second Generations were known at the time.
and Melee only came about two years after the original was released.

Brawl wasn't developed until 2006, that alone kills the chances of any 4th gen appearing in Brawl because they weren't announced until 2006.

kaid

Smash Master
You apparently have never seen a file labled "For internal use only."

The fact that they are cranking out Pokeballs and AT's fact enough to have a wide selection implies that it takes, at most a few weaks for one team to make a pokeball/AT... And he has more than one team working on it. It's been more than a few months since D/P came out. Even if Sakurai waited until the game was out in all territoties, he STILL has time to put them all in.

Black/Light

Smash Master
To be included in a storyline, yes.

The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens...

The anime is the only place where pokemon HAVE personal histories, because that's the only place they get singled out as individuals.
but the anime is a ANIME and not a game:ohwell:.

For pokemon he will most likely use his own creative mind to come up with something for the sole fact that they mostly don't have case by case back stories/ personalities.

Hell, he could put in a trainer and have the pokemon He/She gets all have their own lil stories much like in the anime (Example, Buneary becoming a member of the team (character) because of her love for Pika or something simple like that) for all we know.

And PMD actually DOES have individual pokemon characters. Gard's sole is your "helper" in the game for example. (Thats another idea, make the pokemon Pokemon from MD to have them try to "save" their pokey world)

But point is that this in no way says that the anime will be used for jack nor does it say that EVERY character's story will be based solely on something that actually happened in any media.

And DP has SOOOO many legendaries that Im sure that to poke ball EVERY gen's legendary pokemon will most likely in them up with over 30 legendary pokemon in pokeyballs. How many reg pokemon could get in than?:ohwell:

Tony actually does have a point. We don't even have proof that a 4th gen pokemon is in the game as a ballmon yet and they could very well not put in any 4th genners. And DP has been out for sooo lil time compared to Brawls developent (Brawl= Started plaining at E3 05- started development Oct 05/ DP released Japan in Sep-06/ released here a few months ago) that if we do get a 4th gen pokemon it could very well just be a Pika clone or some 4th gen pokemon that stroke Sakuria as interesting and not just a hype mon (we both know who he is. . .).

Really, anything can happen and I don't see anything to say that he HAS to do something like "Use the anime to make back story" or " Add every legendary mon".

Fawriel

Smash Master
What I think is interesting to note is that the anime has a definite influence on the games.
Besides the fact that Pikachu and Mewtwo add distinctively like their anime counterparts ( Mewtwo even speaks in the Japanese version )...
But I've also read that Meowth was originally mainly quadruped in the blue and red versions, but has started walking more upright and human-like in later games.

Not to mention that Pokemon like Pikachu get a special treatment, what with the Light Ball or whatsitcalled.

Tony_

Smash Ace
What I think is interesting to note is that the anime has a definite influence on the games.
Besides the fact that Pikachu and Mewtwo add distinctively like their anime counterparts ( Mewtwo even speaks in the Japanese version )...
But I've also read that Meowth was originally mainly quadruped in the blue and red versions, but has started walking more upright and human-like in later games.

Not to mention that Pokemon like Pikachu get a special treatment, what with the Light Ball or whatsitcalled.
How else did Pikachu get in the original Smash? It was popular because of the Anime. Same with Jigglypuff. Pichu...it got in because people ACTUALLY loved it from the game. Mewtwo was just put in because of anime + game popularity.

kaid said:
You apparently have never seen a file labled "For internal use only."

The fact that they are cranking out Pokeballs and AT's fact enough to have a wide selection implies that it takes, at most a few weaks for one team to make a pokeball/AT... And he has more than one team working on it. It's been more than a few months since D/P came out. Even if Sakurai waited until the game was out in all territoties, he STILL has time to put them all in.
Thats because they were developed before hand, wayyy before the site came along for the updates. How else would they put up the screens for the updates?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Seriously if you think that there will be no 4th gen you must be some kind of mentally ******** primary school kid!

Why wouldn't he? seriously give me a GOOD reason! Sakurai most probably knows about all the 4th gen Pokemon long before the games came out and even then he would have over a year after D/P came out to implement all the stuff! i mean what? do you think that they spend all of 2007 and the last three months of 2006 just beta testing the game with a strict "Add nothing" rule or something?

And about the legendaries he isn't going to put all of them in only the ones that he feels need to go in.

O yhea and Tony it would take them less than five minutes to make a screen shot for an update XD

kaid

Smash Master
And PMD actually DOES have individual pokemon characters. Gard's sole is your "helper" in the game for example. (Thats another idea, make the pokemon Pokemon from MD to have them try to "save" their pokey world)
That's true... Yet Lucario had a role in that game, too. He was a legendary rescuer, the character that, if your team did EVERYTHING and got max points, you would be compared to.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Besides the fact that Pikachu and Mewtwo add distinctively like their anime counterparts ( Mewtwo even speaks in the Japanese version (Mewtwo speaks in the pokemon games and Pika is clearly more connected to his Console animations than anime )

Not to mention that Pokemon like Pikachu get a special treatment, what with the Light Ball or whatsitcalled. (Pika is their mascott and Game freak HEARTS lighting. Just research Volt Tackle's history)

That's true... Yet Lucario had a role in that game, too. He was a legendary rescuer, the character that, if your team did EVERYTHING and got max points, you would be compared to.
Actually, Lucario wasn't "in" the game or had much of a role pre-say. He just "cameo-ed" in it as the legendary rescuer. He was never seen, talked to, incountered by or remotely connected to the main character. His name was just tossed around abit:ohwell: .

(Im guessing you relized by now that theres a ton of other pokemon that has "touched" viewers and had more character development than Lucario. . .you seem to have jumped of that cloud of fan-fiction.)

AngelGod

Smash Rookie
Blaziken would ROCK THE HOUSE. It would be so much fun playing as Blaziken. But why do people want Lucario so much?

Tony_

Smash Ace
Seriously if you think that there will be no 4th gen you must be some kind of mentally ******** primary school kid!

Why wouldn't he? seriously give me a GOOD reason! Sakurai most probably knows about all the 4th gen Pokemon long before the games came out and even then he would have over a year after D/P came out to implement all the stuff! i mean what? do you think that they spend all of 2007 and the last three months of 2006 just beta testing the game with a strict "Add nothing" rule or something?

And about the legendaries he isn't going to put all of them in only the ones that he feels need to go in.

O yhea and Tony it would take them less than five minutes to make a screen shot for an update XD
Gold and Silver was announced for all to hear and was well known by the public by the time it was released.

Beta Testing usually means the game is finished developing and they aren't adding anything in. This phase just involves getting rid of gliches and such.

Screens from the game usually mean its finished, so I don't think they would want to cram more data into the game just to please everyone and possibly make it two disks.

kaid

Smash Master
Black/Light, you seem to take it as axiomatic that the anime cannot influence Sakura in the slightest. I disagree. It's certiantly not the entirety of his reasoning, or yes, meowth would have been playable in the 64, but when the anime provides an alternative that fits his views better, Sakurai has been known to take it. (like Pokemon calls, which in the games are STILL random sound effects, but the anime has always represented as namecalling)

Black/Light

Smash Master
Black/Light, you seem to take it as axiomatic that the anime cannot influence Sakura in the slightest. I disagree. It's certiantly not the entirety of his reasoning, or yes, meowth would have been playable in the 64, but when the anime provides an alternative that fits his views better, Sakurai has been known to take it. (like Pokemon calls, which in the games are STILL random sound effects, but the anime has always represented as namecalling)
I never took as a completely absolute fact that he doesn't take anime into thought when thinking about pokemon. I just choose to point out that he doesn't do this nearly as much as people tend to think.

Sure, if character picks where picks because of anime and BASED on the anime self than not only would Meowth be in, he would talk and sport his gadgits. Jpuff would have a mic when she sings (or at any time) and maybe draw in mid air (with a mad face) as her tunt. Pika would have half of his move-set changed by now to reflect Ash's Pika (and his attacks would actually look like those of the anime. As in, all his B moves would look much differently and Volt tackle would be just a thunder charge thing).

But thats not the case now is it? I am just showing that the actual pokemon games have more influance on the pokemon characters than the anime with actual proof from the past. From animations to the moves to the character's "persona's" in smash. We have yet to see Sakurai reshort to using the the anime as much of anything in the past so sorry if I don't see the logic in having a random Lucario be like that of one from a movie. We both know that I don't even see his movie as a reason for him to get in so what do you expect?
(Hell, we don't even know if he will be in the game in the first place so whats up with this back story, talking and w/e being a reason for him to brawl by some of you?)

Oh, and the name thing is kinda moot. Yosh got the same treatment (he didn't say his name in the games when he did his dance which is what his melee tuant was) and Pika says Pika in the Yellow game (so what if it was based on the anime. It was in-game).

That is just a small thing compared to character personality, back story and full out talking seen in random pokemon. Plus, they even talk in the games now so it aint too different (some say their names when in the open in DP).

Also, with all this crap about story mode you would think that people knew exactly what it's about (that explaination of it on dojo leaves much unclear). I for one don't think it's going to be completly based on actual past events in their games so he can do w/e he feels like to tie them in in some way. Pokemon would probly be the most moldable because theres soo many things that happen in their world when the trainers arnt in the picture.
They are, to be blunt, random animals that live in a vast world full of many different wonders. That alone should be enuff for any type of reasonable non anime story.

Pika rap to finish a too long post.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xJUs3tzJ2y8

Top Bottom