• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
I've got to go with Lucario, it's my favourite Pokémon, it stars in a Pokémon movie, it is very popular in Japan, and it's height, weight, ability and overall style and shape are what characters in Super Smash Bros. games have, so he would seriously be getting jipped if Nintendo doesn't put him ito Super Smash Bros. Brawl...

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
Just so people know... I think there is a plan for the next super smash brothers to have quite recent pokemon as newcomers... which most probably means we wont be seeing cubone, marowak, eevee, gengar, farfetch'd, sandslash, hitmonlee, hitmonchan or sandshrew...

I dont like the likelyhood of plusle and minum due to the fact theyre attacks cant really range much from pikachu's..

Although Dragonite & Charizard are exceedingly popular I just cant imagine them having a smooth functionality that the game requires due to their bottomheavy physique... not to meantion they can FLY... how could they possibly limit a HEAVY characters chances of coming back onto the stage when they have WINGS!?...

[keeping in mind pit's wings are weak!... in the original game pit's wings couldnt be used for flight.. and in smash bros his wings can only take him short distances, as do metaknights]

I have nothing against meowth, blaziken, lucario or deoxys however... and just for good measure.. why not just add in mew or eevee... theyre pretty awesome ^_^... COME ON who hasnt wanted to beat the snot out of mewtwo with his cute little giggly pink counterpart?
Not to meantion Eevee is in direct competition in the yellow version of pokemon.. & The anime series.. & he has a higher popularity ranking among Americans and the Japanese alike than most of the pokemon meantioned on this poll

Wrath`

Smash Master
Mew flaots.(mewtwo does to but stands on 2 feet when not moving.
Eveve is on 4 legs when standing still cnceling his chances.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Mew has been in a pokeball for the last 2 games, so I'm guessing that tradition will continue.

Eevee unique trait is that it has so many alternate evolutions, which would be very hard to implement in the game. I can see ways in which it could work, but all of them make Eevee quite complicated and at a huge handicap. It'd be an interesting idea, but I don't see it happening.

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
I've mentioned a few reasons why it should be in it, can anyone else mention as many reasons for it to not be in it as you can, and see if there are as many reasons for it to not be in it then there are reasons for it to be in it (which you may please feel free to mention any more of these you can think of too), I don't think there is as many reasons for him to not be in it than there are reasons for him to be in it. He can't fly. Lol

Micahc

Smash Ace
Just so people know... I think there is a plan for the next super smash brothers to have quite recent pokemon as newcomers... which most probably means we wont be seeing cubone, marowak, eevee, gengar, farfetch'd, sandslash, hitmonlee, hitmonchan or sandshrew...
Yeah, but as far as my knowledge goes, Marrowak is fairly popular among the competative scene because of his godly attack when combined with the thick club. So he does at least have a better chnace over other pokemon because of this.
I dont like the likelyhood of plusle and minum due to the fact theyre attacks cant really range much from pikachu's..
Actually, I was against this to, but the fact that theirs two of them and the fact that there's more then three electric type moves helps their case.
Although Dragonite & Charizard are exceedingly popular I just cant imagine them having a smooth functionality that the game requires due to their bottomheavy physique... not to meantion they can FLY... how could they possibly limit a HEAVY characters chances of coming back onto the stage when they have WINGS!?...
It would make them unique and break the mold of heavy characters with craptacular recoveries.
[keeping in mind pit's wings are weak!... in the original game pit's wings couldnt be used for flight.. and in smash bros his wings can only take him short distances, as do metaknights]

I have nothing against meowth, blaziken, lucario or deoxys however... and just for good measure.. why not just add in mew or eevee... theyre pretty awesome ^_^... COME ON who hasnt wanted to beat the snot out of mewtwo with his cute little giggly pink counterpart?
Why? Their freaking old by your logic, so therefore they shouldnt be in the game. Mew shouldn't be in because the tradition of mew being in a Pokeball should be kept going. It's tradition, you can't break it that easily. And Mewtwo will likely make a return, so we don't need it's "mother".
Not to meantion Eevee is in direct competition in the yellow version of pokemon.. & The anime series.. & he has a higher popularity ranking among Americans and the Japanese alike than most of the pokemon meantioned on this poll Again, by your logic it shouldn't be in because evee is "old"
Your logic phails.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
It's just been brought to my attention that Mew is still very popular. In a recent poll on the official Pokewebsite, Mew was voted the most popular legendary Pokemon of all time, with Mewtwo coming in 5th! It's also had two major movie appearances thus far... hmmm... maybe, just maybe, Mewtwo's days are numbered...

On a further note, out of the ten choices, inluding Rayquaza, Celebi, Lugia, and Jirachi, Deoxys came in 7th.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
For the last sentence, Deoxys still has a better chance, simply because Rayquaza and Lugia are simply not workable, and Celebi and Jirachi are the typical event pokemon that are always put into pokeballs to only appear very rarely just to be entirely useless. Yes, Deoxys is an event pokemon too, but they won't make 2 pokemon from the same gen share that role, and Deoxys has far more potential than Jirachi as a playable character or even as an actual damaging pokemon.

With Mew though, the fact that he's been in a pokeball in the past two games suggests that he will once again be in a pokeball, popular or not. That and Mewtwo still technically has a lot more significance to his franchise seeing as he was the first uber final battle pokemon.

Stryks

Smash Hero
^^^ Agree on the deoxys point, he has a good chance, being unique, thanx to all of his forms, he has a more fighter look, and mew, celebi, jirachi and the 4th gen pkmn similair to mew will be pokeballs,no doubt...

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I wouldn't mind seeing Shadow Lugia (AKA XD001) make some sort of an appearance. Since he's maleviolent(evil) and all, he'd make an awesome sub boss!

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
Your logic phails.
Those are the pokemon I like [eevee and mew] ... I was just saying.. I wasnt really being logical about the likelyness of them appearing thank you very much :p

& I have seen many polls of pokemon popularity MAROWAK is fairly UNpopular.. sorry to say. Otherwise i wouldnt have meantioned it.. your logic fails more :p

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
wtf, he hasnt had any statements like yours. He just like Marowak, and I cant blame him. MArowk is tight.

I mean really, they wouldnt put in Mew as a playable, already pokeballed. And meowth had his shot in the ifrst game, but blew it. That and meowth isnt a fighter. (if he di get in, i'd want the cat in boots meowth more. that one just looks way cooler)

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
wtf, he hasnt had any statements like yours. He just like Marowak, and I cant blame him. MArowk is tight.

I mean really, they wouldnt put in Mew as a playable, already pokeballed. And meowth had his shot in the ifrst game, but blew it. That and meowth isnt a fighter. (if he di get in, i'd want the cat in boots meowth more. that one just looks way cooler)
I was correcting him in thinking that Marowak is more popular than Mew & Eevee that is all. I respect the fact that both that user and you like Marowak, but the rest of the world seem to like Mew and Eevee more.. But I guess that really has only little to do with if they will appear in Brawl. Especially seeing as though both Eevee and Mew would be very difficult to give a full moveset compared to Marowak.

Meowth did NOT blow his chances to appear in melee and brawl.. The reason Meowth did NOT appear in Brawl is because as the creator of brawl said Meowth was taken into consideration. But due to the game that meowth was going to star in later that year [meowth rockstar] or something like that... DID NOT come out in America, he decided not to include meowth. But since the release of meowths game in Japan, it was immensely popular and made its way over to the US... this.. you would think would let meowth have a fighting chance of appearing in the next smash brothers beign the only pokemon to have his/her own game named after him/her.

That and... meowth isnt a fighter?... POKEMON FIGHT... thats what they do lol.. you know who doesnt fight?... dr.mario... neither did Game & Watch... or Captain Falcon.. So you seriously think Jigglypuff is more of a fighter than meowth?.. Can you seriously say in all honesty that A PINK BALL is more of a fighter than a ravinous cat with claws and fangs as sharp as any.. with his own special move that next to no pokemon share "PAY DAY"

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
naw,the meowth we know(T.R's) doesnt really like to fight, only wild ones do. And really, it's the T.R. one that would have to be in. Captain Falcon fights, and GW fights fires. And yea, Jiggs is wayyy more of a fighter than a Meowth, and in any given situation would wipe the floor with him. Nuff said.

As for your second, I didnt know. Well, with that news, i do think that he should be in, but as his old role in a pokeball.

and for the first, sorry, my mistake

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
Of course Mew is popular, but as Micahc said, Mew is already a rare pokeball pokemon, and that's the way it's always going to be.

I would like to see plusle and minun make use of the "helping hand" move in an interesting way. But who would be the lead pokemon? I say minun, cause he's blue and has a negative attitude, like me. (I wear blue shirts)

I had no idea Marowak was so popular, but I still doubt it's chances. It may be perfect for the game, but it just doesn't seem likely.

Why does everyone keep calling Blaziken a "she?" Most Blaziken's are males, and I've always seen Blaziken as a masculine Pokemon...

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
naw,the meowth we know(T.R's) doesnt really like to fight, only wild ones do. And really, it's the T.R. one that would have to be in. Captain Falcon fights, and GW fights fires. And yea, Jiggs is wayyy more of a fighter than a Meowth, and in any given situation would wipe the floor with him. Nuff said.

As for your second, I didnt know. Well, with that news, i do think that he should be in, but as his old role in a pokeball.

and for the first, sorry, my mistake
Where has Captain Falcon been in a fight besides super smash brothers.

& Game & Watch fights fires!?.. ur funny :p

My Meowth can beat your Jigglypuff any day of the week
Using his Pay day.. and.. stuff.. SHUDDUP.

But seriously.. I dont get Jigglypuffs \/ B move.. what IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE!?

Black/Light

Smash Master
I could actually see Meowth getting in. . .I may not LIKE him as a pokemon but if anime has ANY importance on who gets in than I would think that the pokemon thats been in as many epis as Pika would stand more of a chance than, say, a one time movie pokemon.

And to whoevery said they would use TR Meowth. . . .show me Jpuff's mic and prove that thats Ash's Pika. Meowth, much like Jpuff, has enuff moves of it's own and wouldn't need anime stuff.

Really, IMO saying pokemon like Meowth have lost their chance to be in SSB is like saying Diddy Kong, Wario, King D3 and Ridley lost their chance to be in brawl because they where nothing but Trofs in melee. . .sure, they are highly recognizable characters, but if it hasn't happened by now than whos to say it will in Brawl(outside of Wario).
Personally, I don't think they will add in more 1st gen pokemon. . . either that or Jpuff will get the boot for one like Meowth. But we don't know whats going on with them and pokemon so I personally stay open minded on this.

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
I could actually see Meowth getting in. . .I may not LIKE him as a pokemon but if anime has ANY importance on who gets in than I would think that the pokemon thats been in as many epis as Pika would stand more of a chance than, say, a one time movie pokemon.

And to whoevery said they would use TR Meowth. . . .show me Jpuff's mic and prove that thats Ash's Pika. Meowth, much like Jpuff, has enuff moves of it's own and wouldn't need anime stuff.

Really, IMO saying pokemon like Meowth have lost their chance to be in SSB is like saying Diddy Kong, Wario, King D3 and Ridley lost their chance to be in brawl because they where nothing but Trofs in melee. . .sure, they are highly recognizable characters, but if it hasn't happened by now than whos to say it will in Brawl(outside of Wario).
Personally, I don't think they will add in more 1st gen pokemon. . . either that or Jpuff will get the boot for one like Meowth. But we don't know whats going on with them and pokemon so I personally stay open minded on this.

Absolutely brilliant, I couldnt have put it better myself :)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Meowth did NOT blow his chances to appear in melee and brawl.. The reason Meowth did NOT appear in Brawl is because as the creator of brawl said Meowth was taken into consideration. But due to the game that meowth was going to star in later that year [meowth rockstar] or something like that... DID NOT come out in America, he decided not to include meowth. But since the release of meowths game in Japan, it was immensely popular and made its way over to the US... this.. you would think would let meowth have a fighting chance of appearing in the next smash brothers beign the only pokemon to have his/her own game named after him/her.
This game never came out anywhere. It was cancelled.
Where has Captain Falcon been in a fight besides super smash brothers.
He faught in the comic that came out alongside the first F-Zero as well as the anime in which he uses the Falcon Punch.
prove that thats Ash's Pika.
Maybe not Ash's pikachu but the pikachu in SSB has Ash's (and Richie's for that matter) pikachu's voice (generic pikachu have way higher voices) which was also given to pikachu transferred from a Pokemon Yellow game in the Pokemon Stadium games (in which generic pikachu made a noise that resembled the digital call from the Game Boy games). Also, the pikachu in the SSBB trailers has one ear hang lower (a sign of domestication, I guess) than the other like a Pokemon Yellow pikachu being used in Pokemon Stadium. So there's evidence to say that it is a special pikachu.
Ya, Meta Knight and Pit probably don't have very high chances either for that very reason.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Pokemon Stadium was released like a year later than SSB. . . and I remember that epis of pokemon where Pika had to choose between that pack of Pikas or Ash. . . I only remember the smaller ones having the really high voices while the normal ones sounded much like Pika (AKA reg Pika sound). Either way it only makes sense to use the VO for SSB that it most commonly connected to the VO of the anime pokemon. (I think Richie's Pika has a deeper, more boyish voice. . . but how often is he seen outside od chronicals?)

And could you point out to me where Pika's ear hangs lower in brawl, I just rewhatched them both and in both Pika's ears where erect when not doing anything. I think your talking about that "flinch" in the first trailer when they transformed into their new looks. But I also noted how animated they made Pika's ears. . . .they flap around now :p

(Didn't catch what your last statement mean't. . . )

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Pokemon Stadium was released like a year later than SSB. . . and I remember that epis of pokemon where Pika had to choose between that pack of Pikas or Ash. . . I only remember the smaller ones having the really high voices while the normal ones sounded much like Pika (AKA reg Pika sound). Either way it only makes sense to use the VO for SSB that it most commonly connected to the VO of the anime pokemon. (I think Richie's Pika has a deeper, more boyish voice. . . but how often is he seen outside od chronicals?)
More like 3 months (the Japanese version uses the same voices) and it was also made by the same company. I guess it could just be for fully matured pikachu but all the pikachu at the Pokemon Center in the second episode had the higher voice. I could've sworn Sparky had the same voice but I haven't seen any of the Chronicles so I'm not really up to speed on that. Also, and this is actually in favor of your point, Pooka, that really old surfing pikachu had a softer, deeper voice so it probably is a maturity thing.
And could you point out to me where Pika's ear hangs lower in brawl, I just rewhatched them both and in both Pika's ears where erect when not doing anything. I think your talking about that "flinch" in the first trailer when they transformed into their new looks. But I also noted how animated they made Pika's ears. . . .they flap around now :p
I meant they were different angles (I usually mess up my first descriptions on things). The little montage shot

it kinda looks like it. And his released artwork shows it: http://www.thehylia.com/media/displayimage.php?album=275&pos=20 (big picture)...
Actually, this kinda is kinda nitpicky (it doesn't look as extreme as the Pokemon Yellow Pokemon Stadium pikachu) and could just be situational...so just forget it...:/
(Didn't catch what your last statement mean't. . . )
I was just helping make fun of the people that think that a character in SSBB won't go beyond the role they had in the previous SSB games.

Bahamut27

Smash Apprentice

Not to meantion Eevee is in direct competition in the yellow version of pokemon.. & The anime series.. & he has a higher popularity ranking among Americans and the Japanese alike than most of the pokemon meantioned on this poll
Well... i thing the caracter with wing is not problem. remenber mewtwo can fly, but in smash hi don't fly...
Charizard is wing is great, so they is increible...:chuckle:

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
As Devastlian said, that game never came out, and that's the first time I've ever heard that Meowth was considered for Melee. I really don't think Meowth was planned to be anything more than a trophy in Melee.

While Meowth is widely known due to the anime (which must have at least some bearing on Smash in some way), my problem with Meowth is that he's uninteresting. He does have a signature move, but quite a few pokemon seem to now, so it doesn't really help his case. While I wouldn't say he's blwn his chances, there are just so many more pokemon now than at the time of SSB or SSBM that the competition is really stiff this time around, that his chances of getting in have definitely fallen. The only real argument I've seen for Meowth is that he's anime important, but whether he's as popular now as he was at his debut could be a deciding factor.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well... i thing the caracter with wing is not problem. remenber mewtwo can fly, but in smash hi don't fly...
Charizard is wing is great, so they is increible...:chuckle:
Reading and understanding your posts is hard... Learn English please?

Also Jigglypuff's vB move is one of the strongest -yet useable- moves in the game! Really, where have you been?! No offence but... The game is out for like 6 years now and yet you don't know what it is?

I won't tell you what it is, you have to try it out yourself! Go to Training Mode, then choose Jiggz and as your opponent, pick Bowser. Select any stage you want... Then get as close as Bowser as you can, and preform the move... Now see the might of Jiggly's vB move!

Wrath`

Smash Master
Why do i have to live on the east coast and miss all the arguments?

Lets clear things up who are the top ten most popular pokemon(disregarding the poll)in JPN and america/uk.
Since we know some character slots are based on popularity.

RVD_fan

Smash Ace
For once I agree with urban shinobi,

Meowth is nowhere near as popular now as he was at his debut. And pay day is shared by a fair number of pokemon now. So he bascically has only one reason that puts him over other pokemon, his large number of anime appearences. I would prefer a pokemon who is still cool and has uniquness even amongst the 500+ pokemon, like Marowak (and gengar). But cool, new, 4th gen pokemon are going to be at the top of the list, which is why Lucario is the favorite to get the precious brawl spot. The fact that meowth has to contend with other guys like deoxys, blazekien, elekible, dragonite, and stuff like that, makes meowths chances pretty nill. He's on the priority list, but there are more deserving pokemon out there.

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
For once I agree with urban shinobi,

Meowth is nowhere near as popular now as he was at his debut. And pay day is shared by a fair number of pokemon now. So he bascically has only one reason that puts him over other pokemon, his large number of anime appearences. I would prefer a pokemon who is still cool and has uniquness even amongst the 500+ pokemon, like Marowak (and gengar). But cool, new, 4th gen pokemon are going to be at the top of the list, which is why Lucario is the favorite to get the precious brawl spot. The fact that meowth has to contend with other guys like deoxys, blazekien, elekible, dragonite, and stuff like that, makes meowths chances pretty nill. He's on the priority list, but there are more deserving pokemon out there.
you know what, i just decided to stop saying what pokemon is going to be in im just gunna leave and wait :(
pertty long time though, although i think garadyos would still be pertty cool :/

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I think the argument over Meowth and new-gen Pokemon (and probably all possibilities in general) can be solved with a simple question:

Would you rather have SSBB feature a new Pokemon based on novelty, representation of new Pokemon (advert/Roy clause), or potential as a good fighting character?

Imo, the latter is the best choice; and would definitely include many of the old-school choices.

Though realistically Nintendo would go for the second option, and we should be basing our more probably choices on new-gen Pokemon that would actually work for Smash.

I understand this post is pretty redundant; but it seems many of you guys aren't really thinking along realistic lines.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
do you mean playables?

becasue the regis are a set, and would be too cloney. They'd make much better pokeball characters.

Top Bottom