• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewter

Smash Master
:D

I think this could be the best set of Pokemon games since Red/Blue.
If they're restricting older Pokemon until you get the national dex, that suggests they'll have tons of new ones (maybe more than usual?) and means the region has more of its own feel.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'm actually so-so about this "fresh start". I like how some Pokemon won't be appearing (Goldeen, Tentacool) while sad that some won't appear (Machop line, a chance to get Crobat & Pikachu a little).

Also, I hope that this gen doesn't trump the 151 new pokemon mark set by the first gen. To me, that should be sacred territory. The Isshu regional dex should have around 130-135 while new evos should be introduced for another 10 pokemon.

Spire

III
BRoomer
This fresh start is exactly what we need. At this rate. Gen V is looking to be the best since Gen I.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
This is gonna be awesome! Only new pokemon until the national dex is gonna be great in my opinion. A "fresh start" with something almost 20 years old seems really nice.

Some pretty sick looking pokemon as well! Yay for Sugimori being creative again!!

XACE-K

Smash Master
Some pretty sick looking pokemon as well! Yay for Sugimori being creative again!!
Just like to let you know that Sugimori is mostly the one who draws the final design of the Pokemon. He isn't the one who thinks of all the ideas.

There's a team of people that is in charge of monster design. They're listed under "Pokemon Design." They come up with the ideas. They decide which ones are the best and refine them. Then, Ken Sugimori draws those designs. In the first generation, it was a group of four people (Sugimori being one of them), and Satoshi Tajiri's role (the creator of Pokemon) in creating the monsters was basically to approve them and suggest changes after the basic ideas were being designed. He's the only one under "Director" and "Game Design" for the first generation which means that he was in charge of pulling everything together and the overall experience of playing the game.

Nowadays... well, the truth is that in Ruby and Sapphire, Junichi Masuda took over. Ever since R/S/E, Satoshi Tajiri has not been working on the games at all. He's listed as "Executive Director" in most games. What does this mean? "Executive Director" is a fancy way of saying "this is the original creator, he approved this game but was not an active part of development." Occasionally he's listed as an "Executive Producer," which, from what I can gather, means he funded it but was still not an active member in developing it. Finally, in Pokemon Rumble (surprisingly enough), only Sugimori and Masuda are listed in the credits as "advisers" for the spin-off game. Tajiri is not listed at all.

So, Satoshi Tajiri is not really putting his mind into the monsters anymore. However, there is another part of why the monsters look different. The "Pokemon Design" of D/P/Pt was held by thirteen people. Ten of these people did not work on the first generation's Pokemon; Shigeki Morimoto (he's the guy who put Mew into the game) also stopped doing monster design during D/P/Pt. What does this mean? The people coming up with the Pokemon ideas are, mostly, different people each generation. R/S hired a ton of people, and that's why the third generation's style was so different. Black and White has also hired more people.

Thus, the main reason why the Black and White Pokemon look weird is because the design team has new people on it. Also, Satoshi Tajiri hasn't worked on the games for a looooong time (since the Gold and Silver days), thus the reason why Gen III and Gen IV looked so different from Gen I and Gen II. And now Gen V could look very different as well.
Found on http://pokebeach.com/page/3. Also answers why the design of Pokemon has been looking differently over the years.

UberMario

Smash Master
Speaking of Pokebeach, they've torn down everything B&W related post-7/8 . . . . .

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I guess that explains Rhyperior and Magmortor.

Anyway, rumour has it no old Pokes and 157 Pokes this gen?

**** yes! Eat that Zubat! Kiss my socks Geodude!

No Magikarp makes me really sad though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I guess that explains Rhyperior and Magmortor.

Anyway, rumour has it no old Pokes and 157 Pokes this gen?

**** yes! Eat that Zubat! Kiss my socks Geodude!

No Magikarp makes me really sad though.
I am sure there will be a plethora of annoying Pokemon to fill this void.

I do not like going over 151, seems Sac-Religious or sacred as Xace-K put it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Seems like hocus pocus nostalgic rubbish to me.
I agree with this.

First gen is always going to be first gen, second gen is always going to be second gen, they'll always exist and we'll always recognize them. To limit the strength of trainers, the number of Pokémon, etc. all just because it would surpass past gens...is just silly. It'd be like saying that only 8 characters should be added per Smash game because the original only added 8. The only thing you're doing is restricting future games due to a desire to not surpass what was already done -- and unless we want to be sure that nothing is ever as good as the originals, there's no reason to restrict the games.

You guys know I'm nostalgic as hell, but there's a difference between having nostalgia and forcing nostalgia.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
So. . . . . no other pokemon except Shinnoh, then. . . why is there a Luvdisc evo?????

151 new pokemon pre national dex, 156 post national dex as a treat to the old timers?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Who said Sinnoh Pokemon were included? And my guess about Luvdisc is that any pre-Gen 5 Pokemon that evolves into something new (or has a new pre-evo) will be included in the Ishuu (did i spell that right?) Dex.

Here is the list of every Pokemon in the series w/o an evolution or pre-evolution... So far, Luvdisc is the only one with an upgrade.

*Crosses fingers for baby Kangaskhan, Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Sableye, Mawile, Pachirisu, and Chatot*

[collapse=list]
[/collapse]

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Isshu.

Isshu is the name for both the Japanese and American versions, right?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And my guess about Luvdisc is that any pre-Gen 5 Pokemon that evolves into something new (or has a new pre-evo) will be included in the Ishuu (did i spell that right?) Dex.
They'd better not be. They said no non-Gen-V Pokémon until post-National-Dex, they better mean that. If they made some of the evolutions like that unavailable pre-National-Dex in Gen IV they can certainly do that for all of them in Gen V.

Isshu.

I would assume so, though I'm not sure if we have confirmation on that.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I'd absolutely love for a Kanghaskan pre-evo and a Dunsparce evolution. Seviper/Zangoose evolution would be nice too, to be honest.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd laugh so hard (and of course, then train one) if there's an Unown evolution. :D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Isshu.

Every single game except for D/P has had the English and Japanese region names exactly the same, and in D/P they just moved like one letter around in the name.

Based off the trend, I'll say Isshu is the US name as well.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Nah they'll flip the ss's.
Seriously though, despite my typeo, someone explain to me why is there a Luvdisc evo if there aren't going to be any old pokemon?
Victini's new attack is called Copmplete Burn. Perhaps this will be a Toxic form of burn that increases each turn?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Seriously though, despite my typeo, someone explain to me why is there a Luvdisc evo if there aren't going to be any old pokemon?
They said there won't be any old Pokémon pre-National-Dex. Magnezone through Froslass in the 'Dex weren't available until post-National-Dex in D/P.

They could have new areas available once you get the National Dex, maybe more Pokémon will appear in the wild once you get the National Dex, all sorts of possibilities there. They'll think of something, they always do.

Wrath`

Smash Master
They have so many areas already, I wouldn't be surprised if they had unlockable ones like "Forests of Kanto" and "Plains of Jhoto" to go and get some of those Pokemon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
They've had a new area available to catch Pokemon in after the E4 since G/S/C's Mount Silver, and this was emphasized in Emerald in D/P/Pt, and from this news, will be done even moreso in B/W. It's an ongoing trend that's being emphasized more and more in each gen, with more and more Pokemon only available only after the E4.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Also there are the swarming Pokemon that become available afterwards, and the upgrade to the current safari zone.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm beginning to think they're going to have to have an entire new region's worth of unlockable areas if they want to make it at all convenient to get the first 493 Pokémon.

Assuming we have somewhere around 150 new Pokémon, we'll have nearly 650 total. On top of catching the Gen V Pokémon, we have to get 493 others to complete the National Dex. Unless they implement a lot of new areas, make new (well, old would be the more accurate term, I guess) Pokémon appear all throughout the world, or find some other way to give us access to many of the first 493, almost all of them are going to have to be ported from D/P/Pt/HG/SS.

If that's the case, I probably won't complete the National Dex. I hated porting Pokémon over from Gen III in the first place, I refrained from doing it as much as possible and cloned half of the Pokémon I sent over. It bothers me to do that because it tears apart my old games -- I'll look back at Diamond and look at the 5 Pokémon I have left in a box and feel obligated to fix it, because it feels so incomplete.

Not that this is necessarily a complaint. I like completing games with 100%, but catching so many Pokémon IS going to be quite the chore, and I'd certainly take a fresh, new approach to Pokémon over easy completion of the Pokédex any day.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Firus is right. Think about it. If we get around 150 Pokemon for pre-National Dex, that's around 500 Pokemon that still need to be caught.

They can't cram nearly 500 Pokemon into a single region... CAN THEY?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

If they have the game as we know it now, with only Gen V Pokémon in Isshu, then you get the National Dex and you get to travel to Hoenn...

I will love Black and White so much.

Now watch as I'm disappointed when that doesn't happen. Bah.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I've read up on more technology regarding the DS carts, and I'd like to mention that by a technical standpoint, a 5-region game is possible.

Just sayin.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I don't mind importing my Pokes over, in fact I think it's kinda cool.

For example my team I beat the Elite 4 with back in Sapphire all those years ago can now fight alongside my Gen 4 team and soon, a whole bunch of Gen 5 Pokes.

It'll be cool to see my Blaziken, Empoleon and Gen 5 final evo fighting alongside each other in a triple battle.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't have a problem moving some Pokémon over...but irreversibly transferring most or all of them will just leave the old games empty, and that's the idea that bothers me. I like keeping my games in-tact.

And transferring my special Pokémon over (like my shinies and my team) leaves the game pretty barren as well, and without my team I can't function in the game anymore unless I start over and build up a new team.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
What I do is start a new game. It's how I managed to get all the starter Pokes in my game, plus I start with a different name everytime and sometimes I play as a girl character. I find it cool when I check my boxes and see all these Pokes from many different games all in one game.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I do that with my secondary versions (i.e. Blue, Sapphire, and Pearl), but the only one of my main versions I've ever restarted was Red, and that was only because I was starting a temporary new game for fun and stupidly traded, not remembering that trading requires saving and would erase my old game.

Half the reason for that is I like to have at least one game from each gen completed, and all too often I decide to replay a game and lose interest part of the way through.

Of course, this, on top of the fact that there's more incentive to play both versions this time around, is why I intend to get both Black and White.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Has it been confirmed of transfering between gen 4 and gen5 or is it trading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom