• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Close

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
On a lighter note, if any of y'all are interested...

Pendulum is going to be at Bowery Ballroom in October. I'm desperately trying to find a way to get my woman to be able to join me at the show.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
silly alukard.

my thing is this I do not think pirate ship should be legal but if its that serious I'll leave it cause 2 ike players need it lol. seriously I just think its a bad stage. Look at that vid. Both players lose first stock cause of the launcher O.O.

Either way I have no problem leaving them on I just do not want to hear it later. If I hear people say OMG this or that I will say I told you so.

Rainbow cruise is more like Pitochat to me in terms of the set up and design. I feel like Pirate ship reminds me more of great sea being that its amazing design and can be a good competitive CP stage but there are things that characters can do that can make that stage gay.

I will tell you what. I'll leave it for the time being for singles and doubles and corneria. I'll leave it for this one and from here I will make adjustments and watch some matches to make my final decision.

Deal guys?

ComboBaker

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Stadium 2 should be legal. I mean, when Brawl first came out it seemed really annoying, but i think that now that we have our feet wet, any stage effects more serve as minor annoyances, and to my knowledge can not be severely abused

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
alright stages set and I'll post all info in a TD area and update the thread for now.

Oct 18
5 venue fee
5 singles
5 doubles

weekly rules in effect for the most part.

due to time restraints I think another thing i wanted to talk about is ties at the end of matches. Originally it was decided by stock/percent but they was to be played over if both have the same stock. To me that is extremely time consuming and with a new store to build trust on not a good idea. I am considering putting back to stock/percent only because it encourages players to play it out.

Thoughts?

Shinigami666

Smash Apprentice
Well you are right that it will be time consuming but It will def be a pain in the *** for non spammer mainers.. like me X__x. If it's based on percentage I'm pretty sure most characters will just run and spam projectiles for the rest of the time left =/

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Well you are right that it will be time consuming but It will def be a pain in the *** for non spammer mainers.. like me X__x. If it's based on percentage I'm pretty sure most characters will just run and spam projectiles for the rest of the time left =/
*Mains Olimar and ROB... and seconds (thirds?) Wolf*

I have no idea what you're talking about, Shinigami.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
*Mains Knight*same here.

But getting back to topic, How's about this. if there's an event of a tie, restart the match with the same stage, characters, but with 1 stock and 4 minutes on the clock. That should be enough to settle it. If it's still a issue, then we could go to the stock/percentages. Like shinigami said, there's gonna be some that'll either spam or do 'hit and run' tactics, but this is an effort to speed up the toury and earn the trust of the store, which is understandable.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
*Mains Knight*same here.

But getting back to topic, How's about this. if there's an event of a tie, restart the match with the same stage, characters, but with 1 stock and 4 minutes on the clock. That should be enough to settle it. If it's still a issue, then we could go to the stock/percentages. Like shinigami said, there's gonna be some that'll either spam or do 'hit and run' tactics, but this is an effort to speed up the toury and earn the trust of the store, which is understandable.
U shouldnt bytch about anything being ur using a character that handle every stage and situation

Anyway Just do this. Last stock u can only win if ur ahead by 50%. If both players are within 50% of each other they redo the last stock. If not then the person with lower percent wins. it'll lower camping a bit being they have to do a good amount to win the match instead of losing because u were up by 2%.....which is stupid.

Say if its Sonic vs DK. DK is by far one of the heaviest characters and has the best killing game meaning killing at low percent. Sonic has great combo ability and needs alot of percent to kill unless he gimps.

DK can kill sonic at like.....80-90%. Sonic kills DK at like....140%-150%. Say the original rules (win by percent) were in place and both players were at these percents. Sonic could easily stall by running away from DK, goin under the stage etc like this....wouldnt exactly be fair.

Anyway thats my thought on it.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Uh based on the views I am going to leave it as basing it the way it has ALWAYS been. Stock/% since its just the most fairest way without creating an entire set going from 21 mins at most to 30 -40 mins. Its more about time restraints.

Randall I have told you while that is a great idea its just the fact that it is very impractical and also hard to manage. Say we do that and someone closes the match and goes to a TO. What proof do i have? Word of mouth? Then we start the whole match over and waste time. Stock/% is the way to go. HAsnt hurt us before XD

HoMaLoN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoMaLoN
Uh based on the views I am going to leave it as basing it the way it has ALWAYS been. Stock/% since its just the most fairest way without creating an entire set going from 21 mins at most to 30 -40 mins. Its more about time restraints.

Randall I have told you while that is a great idea its just the fact that it is very impractical and also hard to manage. Say we do that and someone closes the match and goes to a TO. What proof do i have? Word of mouth? Then we start the whole match over and waste time. Stock/% is the way to go. HAsnt hurt us before XD
good now that everything is set. All i need from u alex is Time, date and location. all i remember is OCt. 18th

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
good now that everything is set. All i need from u alex is Time, date and location. all i remember is OCt. 18th

Hmm 1pm sounds reasonable...oh ya and I do start on time so do not test me when it comes to that people know I put TO's to shame with my time analness.

Oct 18 like i said a billion times...its on a sat btw lol

play n trade is the store its at 13th and 3rd

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I am going to post this in the first post but just to let people know I changed the payout to help others so here goes v 1.0

Tournament Prices

Price - $5 Venue Fee
Price - $5 per person for 1v1
Price - $5 per person for 2v2

Prizes
1v1 + 2v2

Since these will be monthlies, I am adding a better incentive for these events. Based on turnout I will be paying up to 4th-5th places.

So for example if 30 or less attend it will be

1st – 65%
2nd – 25 %
3rd – 10%

If 40 – 50 attend it will be more like this

1st – 60%
2nd - 20%
3rd – 15%
4th – 5%

If 60 and over attend it will be

1st – 50%
2nd – 20
3rd – 15%
4th – 10%
5th – 5%

• 137 East 13th Street, Between 3rd and 4th Avenue, New York
• New York, 10003, United States of America
• Play N Trade / Union Square is conveniently located at 137 East 13th Street between 3rd and 4th Ave in Manhattan,just a short walk from the following subways (14th St/Union Square): 4 5 6 L N Q R W
PHONE
(212) 674-0200
OPENING HOURS
10am to 10pm Monday - Saturday, and 11am to 7pm on Sunday

INFORMATION Rules for SSBB

Rules so far :

- 3 stock
- 6 minute time limit
- Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5
- Double Elimination
- Items are OFF including smash ball

Doubles :
• Team attack ON
• Life stealing is allowed

Neutral:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Stages for Counterpick:

* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Pokemon Stadium 2
* Norfair
* Corneria
* Pictochat

Banned Stages:

* Green Hill Zone
* Distant Planet
* Mario Cicuit
* Bridge of Eldin
* Skyworld
* Mushroomy Kingdom
* Rumble Falls
* Spear Pillar
* Port Town: Aero Dive
* Shadow Moses Island
* 75m
* Mario Bros Arcade
* The Summit
* Flatzone 2
* WarioWare Inc.
* New Pork City
* Yoshi's Island (old)
* Hyrule
* Big Blue
* Onett
* Great Sea

Mages Dq Rules :
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set

Stage Banning: Each player / team may select up to 2 stages that will be banned from the tournament set. however, only one of the banned stages can be a neutral stage. (ex. yoshi's island and corneria makes a VALID ban. corneria and brinstar makes a VALID ban. yoshi's island and battlefield makes an INVALID ban.)

Stage Strike Rule: If a stage is selected at random, each player / team can elect to reset the stage pick ONCE PER SET. the reset all must occur within 3 seconds of the start of the match.

Counterpick Rule: The loser of the match first chooses the stage that the next match of the set will be played on. The opponent, then, makes the choice of changing character or not. than the loser of the match selects his/her character.

If the loser of the match chooses to select the stage at random. The opponent CANNOT change character. The loser of the match than makes the choice of changing character or not.
• Excessive "stall" tactics are banned.
• Controller Mods are banned
Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification.

In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have ONE STOCK the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one, and start a match with stage being the same as where they had the tie. This will determine the winner.

Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*

Singles seeding will be random with some courtesy to crews – you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in ordered to be favored. You MUST have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will be done randomly.

In case more than 64 people come, Singles seedings will be determined by pools – each player will be assigned to a pool, and each pool will play 2 Three (3) stock matches in a round robin. If a player wins a match, he must inform an official of how much stock he had remaining. Players will continue to play with each other until each player has played all of the other players in the pool twice. The lowest ranking players will be cut off from each pool, so much so until it meets the conditions of a 64-man bracket. All stages for pools are picked randomly, and all character selections will be double blind pick – both players must whisper their character choices for that match to an official, and then immediately select those characters afterwards.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
This is gonna sound redundant but...

Why the hell is Great Sea banned......

The water
Incase you didn't know...Ike/Ganon/Toon Link/etc ain't exactly invulnerable when they're in the water "baiting" someone for a spike. Put it like this...the only way I'm getting a guaranteed spike is if I immediately run into the water after you fall in fast enough so that the flailing animation stuns them enough for me to get a nice clean spike. Either way you can move, jump and immediately airdodge, upb, whatever.... It's very easy to screw up too..especially with the narrowness of Ike's DAIR. Another thing is...I don't exactly see people picking Ike to take advantage of the stage either..believe it or not [sarcasm] :ohwell:

The launcher
*_* Big fricken deal...the launcher is a funny hazard ...I'm not exactly sure how this works but I think it can be DI'd. I've done it plenty of times...there were times I died and times I didn't..let's just leave it at that. Whether it was DI or just the randomness of the launcher I honestly don't know. Simply put, don't run into it. Easier said than done eh..? Well...not really *_* I haven't run into that thing in...months and I have Great Sea on my random...so yah.. don't be stupid or risky and you'll be fine.

Cannonballs

You can see them coming, you can see the hostile ships in the back too..when they come up, play differently...meaning, don't aggro as much. Just run around and maybe play it safe for a few secs. It mostly deters non-projectile characters anyway since spammers can just safely spam while they watch the ships in the back..whereas the non-projectile character has to jump in and fight while looking at the background. Now which one is harder....well I don't have to say but hey that's what a counterpick is for. Only time I've been hit by a cannonball is when I misjudged the blast radius or I tried to show off and counter it. I always see it...it's smash. You're supposed to occasionally look at the BG anyway. It's your fault if you don't see the boat creeping up. It's like on Halberd or Delfino when people use the moving stage to their advantage and sync up certain actions with the stage sections. If someone throws you into a cannonball...tough luck, nobody told you to be fighting them when one is in the air. Pay attention and you'll be fine.

Halberd has a laser..... and it has a mechanical arm that hits relatively fast and is somewhat hard to dodge..PLUS IT KILLS YOU SOMETIMES. But that's counterpick...Now I know what you'll say..the arm doesn't kill you at 40% (lol) Sure it doesn't but that still changes the way you play, just as the cannons will. The risk of the cannon is for both characters so it's pretty "fair" if you wanna put it like that.

Forgot to say...
DIX IN YOUR MOUTH

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The launcher? There was bad DI in that video. Just DI up and to the right with or without the C-Stick and you will ALWAYS live.
I agree with Silven on Pirate Ship.

Looks @ First Post: Saturday? 1:00 P.M.? Excellent.

Alukard

Smash Hero
yea this even corresponds with my tournies lol ... u should b able to make it regardless of w.e

Top Bottom