• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
That's not true at all. Sony is going for at least 10 years of support with the PS3 (like the PS2), so even still, I doubt the next PS3 is right there.
If my PS3 dies, I might get the next Nintendo or Microsoft console instead of a replacement PS3. Hopefully, our PS3s will last until the next big Sony console.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Did you even read my post? Profit isn't everything. Wii Fit appealed to a wider audience because the majority of Wii Fit buyers are first time gamers who were drawn in by Nintendo's marketing. A large portion of Wii Fit buyers most likely shoved the Wii and the board in the closet or handed off the console to a relative within a few months.

GTA VI doesn't exist yet, but GTA IV will almost certainly have a bigger impact on the future of gaming than Wii Fit because Wii Fit is not really a game. Wii Fit is exercise software packaged with minigames and a silly slab of hardware. Saying that GTA IV's contributions to gaming innovation are negligible just shows how uninformed a gamer you are. The ability to move consoles is currently best being demonstrated by Nintendo because they are now directing their marketing towards first time gamers who don't know the first thing about video games.

By "most people", I was referring to "most gamers". If that wasn't evident, I suggest you take a reading comprehension class, and also a writing class for your spelling and grammatical errors.
I apologize for making mistakes (but is nit-picking necesary?)

Now, Wii Fit gamers are in fact gamers. First time gamers for sure, but gamers none the less. And GTA IV could not possibly have a bigger effect on the future of gaming than Wii Fit, because GTA IV is merely an extension of an existing genre already established by GTA III, wereas Wii Fit invented an entirely new and much more profitable genre.

Halloween: you understand that comparing Wii Fit to GTA4 is a horrible analogy right? Nintendo has shipped 18 million units as of March, while GTA4 has only shipped 13 million as of January. That's not THAT bad when you consider one is a Mature-rated game, and the other is marketed towards kids and elderly more (watch the commercials). Also, you realize that by your definition, MMOs are the best games ever. World of Warcraft has 10 million subscribers as of Jan. 2008. At $15 per month, that means ever 4 months, people are basically rebuying the full-priced game, so if you are consistent with 10 million, that means the game sells 30 million copies every year.

Again, I'm tired of this argument, and it doesn't really belong in this topic. Take it to PMs after your next rebuttal post.
Sure, feel free to send me PMs after this rebuttal.

I agree Wii Fit to GTA IV is a horrible analogy. Wii Fit has a huge disadvantage. GTA IV is not only an established franchise, but also the sequel to one of the best selling games of all time (San Andreas), $30 cheaper, had much more money put into it ($100 million dollar budget), and is multi-platform. By every account, GTA IV should have slaughtered the non-established Wii Fit series.

I find it interesting that you brought up MMO's. Most of them fail, but WoW is an amazing social game. It's like the computer geek equivalent of playing Mario Kart Wii with friends.

That's fine, I'm also tired of this argument, because this guy lacks the ability to discern logic from propaganda.
Actually, I think it's the other way around. Logic is that the company that makes the most profit is the best at making and marketing their product. Propaganda is making distinctions between gamers and non-gamers on systems to justify a difference in profit.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
LIGHT HOUSE: This is your basic videogame room.
video game
Discussing Wii Fit in a forum about VIDEO GAMES

Now, onto REAL VIDEO GAME DISCUSSION. The PS3 Slim is all but confirmed. Anyone besides myself picking one up? The rumored release date is September 1, 2009. I'll definitely be picking it up on day one, as I've been waiting for a perfect opportunity to purchase a PS3, and now that there's a lower price and BC...that time has come :)

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
If you haven't noticed, Sony and Microsoft haven't followed suit with Nintendo. You really think because of Wii Fit all consoles and games in the future will be like that? You're delusional.

PS3 Slim would definitely be nice, the PS3's now are so bulky to carry around.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If you haven't noticed, Sony and Microsoft haven't followed suit with Nintendo. You really think because of Wii Fit all consoles and games in the future will be like that? You're delusional.
Sony and Microsoft both have gaming departments that lost billions of dollars over the past few years, and Grand Theft Auto, the biggest system moving franchise there is, didn't move systems. http://games.techwhack.com/1780-gta4-effect

That is not a good sign for the direction Sony and Microsoft are going in.

I mean honestly, will we ever need a PS4?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
In regards to a game like Fat Princess, do you all beleive the PS3 have enough of an open fanbase to make Fat Princess to be a great hit? Even with all of the game's strengths and it being a PSN game as opposed to a retail disk, I cannot see it doing well because of its cartoony look.

I mean Little King's Story, despite its depth, critical acclaim, and longevity (for a single player non-RPG) is barely moving out of stores thanks to its middle-of-the-road approach. And unlike Fat Princess, LKS is pretty much the only universally recommendable game to come out on the Wii in 2009 while FP has a lot of competition.

(Yes I know FP is more hardcore than LKS, but it looks to stradle the line between casual and hardcore given its visual style and much more serious looking competition.)(This post is a question mainly about the PS3's consumer base if that wasn't apparent in the post.)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Fair enough. different subject.

Would anybody want a PS4 if it came out, or would the difference in graphics not be noteworthy enough to warrent such an upgrade?

Personally, I think the PS3 will always be good enough, graphically at least.
There's a thread for no hypothetical games... consoles fall into that too. If it's not announced, it pointless to discuss.

As for FP's look:

The gore alone kills the cartoon look. I think it needs a demo, badly. It's such an unusual game that people won't understand what it is until they play it. My girlfriend was able to pick up and play without too much issue, so I think it has its place in Casual gaming.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
There's a thread for no hypothetical games... consoles fall into that too. If it's not announced, it pointless to discuss.

As for FP's look:

The gore alone kills the cartoon look. I think it needs a demo, badly. It's such an unusual game that people won't understand what it is until they play it. My girlfriend was able to pick up and play without too much issue, so I think it has its place in Casual gaming.
That gore was pretty much the reason I mentioned FP as more hardcore (provided, my view on what makes something hardcore is purely based on aesthectics). It being a cheaper PSN game as well as having online multiplayer (or any MP at all) are two things it has over LKS over potential buyers. My question was whether or not the PS3 install base was open enough to fresh ideas to make the game more than a cult hit as I generally don't know much about the PS3 install base?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Halloween Captain you're now on my ignore list. You try and bring up topics and debates that are horrible to begin with, and then you can't even construct a decent argument. Farewell.

I heard there's an option to turn the gore off in Fat Princess. Doubt anyone actually does that though.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Halloween Captain you're now on my ignore list. You try and bring up topics and debates that are horrible to begin with, and then you can't even construct a decent argument. Farewell.

I heard there's an option to turn the gore off in Fat Princess. Doubt anyone actually does that though.
Whatever. I take it you do not want to swap PM's then.

You know, there is already a Fat Princess thread. You should probably be using that.

Or at least, you would know that if you didn't put me in your ignore list.

EDIT: Next poster, quote me to pass this to Variola http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/author.php?author=8 http://malstrom.50webs.com/disruptionchronicles.htm I've been using Sean Malstrom articles for a while now, and a person without a background in his thinking would have a hard time understanding why I said what I said. Obviously, he put me on ignore, so I'm not going to be able to give these to him.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hell yes! I just got into the MAG beta. Anyone else? It was sent out in e-mails to sign-up.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Sorry for sounding dumb, but what is MAG?
Its a huge FPS game where, if I'm not mistaken, has the butterfly effect (one action affects another) in large force. Its a 256+ Player game where your broken up into smaller groups, until your 8 man squad.

There are 3 fractions, with their own unique weapons, strengths and weaknesses.

This game, along with some others, are incling me to buy a PS3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAG_(video_game)

This game is going to require serious dedication.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, that's a fair summary. Basically, let's say you are a general, and order an airstrike on a barracks. Someone players on your team need to go fulfill the air strike, and you get points and so do they, and the enemy loses stuff associated with that. The early videos from E3 are looking QUITE impressive. I'll report more on the Beta once it opens (it's only open at certain times).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I need to wait until 12, my time, to get started. We'll post pictures/vids if I can get any good ones.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Whoo for Slimpocalypse!

If any thing, with the PS3 getting price cuts, and more places getting ready for the PS3 slim, I may have a problem.

Should I get the bulky, low price PS3, or if it comes out, the Slim which is more likely to be more expensive.

My gaming area is pretty crowded, but I maybe able to fit in that tank of a console.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Slim will be $300 by most accounts. Unlike with the 360, there are very rare incidences with the PS3 dying, so you are pretty much good to go regardless what you get.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I never uploaded Linux to my PS3. Hmm...

As for no BC, I have BC on mine, and I never use it.

nevershootme

Smash Master
even then I haven't heard any progress on the hacking scene for ps3 (been out of the loop), so I'd assume it's impossible to hack it.

it would suck if they had only 1 usb port to piss off fighting game communities on playing their games in tournies. but then trying to play rock band, GH, w/e needs a usb hub to do so now

edit: ok, so there is sort of a interchangable hard drive. but of what type

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I'm considering getting a PS3. Does anyone have any suggestions on what games would be good to get? The type of game doesn't matter to me as long as it's fun and has good gameplay. Also, I already have a 360, so I'm mainly looking for games that are exclusive to the PS3.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Get inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, and Resistance 1 and 2. Those will keep you busy for a LONG time.

For the MAG Beta: I got into my first game. While the graphics aren't amazing for a next gen game, the real fun is the fact that I am playing on a team of 64 human players against another 64 (acquisition is only 128 players at a time). The scope of the levels are so amazing and deep.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I hate you so much CK!!

:mad:

Also, I want a slim PS3 but seeing as I already own a PS3 I don't really have a reason to get it.

Xanthan, my personal favorites have been MGS4, Uncharted, littleBigplanet, Infamous and Ratchet. And I'm still in love with Warhawk. <3

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Warhawk is great, but be prepared to buy the extra packs. I got Rachet and Clank for $5 at Hollywood video's sale.

With MAG Beta, apply, Chill. They add people in waves, and the game isn't due out until January so very good chance they will keep it up until then. Until you do get in: ha ha ha ha.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Where can I apply? :x
I got mine in my e-mail for being a PS Underground member...

The Slim looks REALLY nice, though I hate it dropping Linux support. Now, that I use Linux regularly on PC (Ubuntu), I enjoy it so much. I am actually reading how to upgrade my HDD to a 250GB and toss Linux on there. Wish I would have tried this sooner...

EC_Joey

Smash Lord

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Good news to hear for sure. I though that was the best feature about the PS3 - upgrading the HDD as you want.

For the USB port issue - get a hub. I have two hubs on mine, and I have the 4 in front model. Get two, good 4 port hubs (maybe another to attach to another hub), and you will have all the ports you need.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I think I might as well since it cost around 300 now, (I think). I won't get the slim because I heard it wasn't backwards compatible with PS2 games. )=

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Neither is the PS3 80GB. Really, if you need BC, just buy a PS2 - they are $99 with games.

Top Bottom