• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yesss, it's only $249.99! As much as I hate to admit it, 3DS is going to be hard pressed to beat NGP.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm sure these are some announcements Nintendo will have difficulty chewing.

But they've been leading the handheld market for the last twenty years. I'm sure they'll think of something. Most likely a pricedrop to what customers are willing to pay is the best thing. They'll take a loss most likely, but, if it boosts sales, they'll do it.

I'm definitely more interested in this device now that the prices have been revealed. I could care less about how graphically stunning these games are - Graphics should always be an after though, ESPECIALLY SO in this handheld market. What should be prioritized is functionality, content, and entertainment. And from what I've seen, Sony has delivered on all three fronts.

Supposedly, at least. They can announce all they want, but as we've seen before, a company can back peddle. So I still take all this with some skepticism. I'll wait until a few weeks after release and hear all thoughts on the hardware.

:bee:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Seems this thread has asploded.

Judging by trends, I'm sure most of the higher quality third party games will show up here instead of the 3ds, Particularly those from Square/Capcom/Konami.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There's also the VERY LIKELY possibility of seeing watered down ports of console games, much like you've seen been done on the PSP.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The WiFi version is all and everyhing I'll will ever need, when the release of the Vita.

It cheap, convinient, and overall hood gaming unlike the 3DS.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Nintendo is going to have a hard time staying on top now. And really, I wanted Nintendo to have real worldwide competition this generation and now they're getting it.

PSVita amazed me to where I am planning on buying that instead of the 3DS in the near future.

D

Deleted member

Oh man, I knew I bought the 3DS too soon. In terms of hardware, this completely blows the 3DS away. In terms of software... we'll see.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Man I NEED this

Hopefully my parents listened to me when I told them that I wanted this for my birthday/christmas present

finalark

SNORLAX
Sony has always been better at handling third parties than Nintendo. Not only that, but the only thing that the 3DS can do that the Vita can't is 3D. Despite that, the Vita has better hardware, possibly software and it looks like it will be heavily supported by Sony with numerous online services.

In other words, the Vita can do almost everything the 3DS can and more for the same price or less.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Sony has always been better at handling third parties than Nintendo. Not only that, but the only thing that the 3DS can do that the Vita can't is 3D. Despite that, the Vita has better hardware, possibly software and it looks like it will be heavily supported by Sony with numerous online services.

In other words, the Vita can do almost everything the 3DS can and more for the same price or less.
We'll see in a few years how both handhelds are doing. I'm still backing Nintendo cause their handhelds are the best. I do want to try a PS Vita at one point in time tho.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The only way I'll get a Vita is if they port the SotC and ICO rerelease to this also. Trico would be nice too.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
*****es don't know about my Nanoha. And she isn't a loli in StrikerS! Vita's like 25 years old or something.

Having region locking seem very unlikely, IMO. The PSP didn't have it, the 3DS does.

finalark

SNORLAX
*****es don't know about my Nanoha. And she isn't a loli in StrikerS! Vita's like 25 years old or something.
What?

Having region locking seem very unlikely, IMO. The PSP didn't have it, the 3DS does.
And having no region lock would also give it an advantage over the 3DS for import gamers. Honestly, why Nintendo gave the 3DS region lock is beyond me.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This thing won E3. Price, specs, game line-up. And I just learned it has multi-touch.

The 3DS is nothing.

And it's coming out this winter? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I haven't been this excited since the Wii.

OmegaXXII

I don't care if she's a loli or not, she's a "grown up" loli to me :)

What's the logic behind region lock in the first place?

Because the japanese want to laugh so hard at before we get to ever get to play them, not to mention their exclusives.:glare:

M@v

Subarashii!
Also, region locks make it so games lag less since gamers are in closer proximity. But the lag difference THAT much. I've played people around the world many times, and it honestly depends on the game. Some are laggier than others.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

OmegaXXII

Ah shucks, and here I was actually thinking of getting it in December, oh well, gonna get me a 3DS then.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
The guys at Angry Birds/Rovio Mobile will win the holidays this year

Because, you know, according to Peter Vesterbacka, consoles are dead.

:troll: :awesome: :troll:

OmegaXXII

Does anybody know if Vita will let you switch ISP's?

I don't want to deal with that company, man that was a bad move from Sony, really why do they have to be involved with video games, they should just stick to phones, nothing more.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that you can use Wifi but since we're talking about online service on the go, I kind of doubt it. I'm not too informed but if it's anything like the iPhone fiasco, PS Vita is sure to be locked to AT&T until somebody manages to jailbreak it.

Something else that could be plausible is that if you have a modern smartphone, you can make your phone a hotspot and connect your PS Vita through that.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
If you want my honest opinion - Machines like the 3DS/Vita, are all nice. yes. But they do not have the convenience of iOS on Tablets and Smartphones.

Those are hefty packages that get better by the year. Soon, we'll see them push graphics much like the 3DS (Some phones have released with no glasses 3D already).

While Nintendo has been a leader in the handheld market (****, may as well consider them the creators of that market) these machines don't provide some features that make the tablets/smartphones such a stunning success.

And for that non-adjustment, it will hurt the Vita and 3DS.

Don't get me wrong. I know these things will sell. Initially. But I don't think they'll have shelf-life success much like their predecessors.

If the recent success of the 3DS is any indication, the gaming market in handhelds have shifted. I read a recent article of how much the market has shifted from just last year -'09 saw iOS with about 16% and 2010 saw iOS at, like, 30% market share.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sony just trolled Nintendo into dropping their price.

But on a more serious note, I agree with Zio some. Phones are definitely making a push in the game departments, and with 3D no glasses phones already out (Like the Evo 3D), in a few years, who knows where the gaming will be on phones.

I thought Sony made a smart move going with the 3G option...even if it is for AT&T. At least that can possibly allow say...Skype Calls or the ability to run other apps. 3DS is stuck with just pure gaming with a side of Netflix.

However in the future, Sony, Nintendo, whoever decides to make a portable gaming system will need to have plenty of secondary features. Sony tried that with their Xperia Play, but it failed miserably.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I think smartphones are a completely different market from dedicated gaming devices. 3DS got off to a slow start, but it's because there weren't enough good games at launch and the price/value ratio was too forbidding for most people in this time of recession.

I love my android, but it's no substitute for a real gaming handheld.

Top Bottom