• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Man, I can't decide between this or a 3DS.

I'll likely just wait to get a price-cut/next gen model of both, but I dunno. If some stellar games come out for one of them, I might get it earlier.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

I'll likely just wait to get a price-cut/next gen model of both, but I dunno. If some stellar games come out for one of them, I might get it earlier.
I was gonna get the 3DS at launch, but got a PSP 3000 instead, and found out that the 3DS will be like £200 at launch.
So I was all like, "Cool, I'll wait 'til next year.", and now this shows up. Come Christmas I'll see what's got the best games, how dear they are, and the games coming out for future release, and decide from that.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know, I opened this thread curious to know what was up and then I see a hypothetical future PSP with two analog sticks.

TWO ANALOG STICKS.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681

- Wait for the limited edition Zelda/Starfox/etc 3DSes that will come out. (I can feel it)
- Wait for PSP2 like a year and get one that won't blow up.

I've never had a "good experience" buying Sony stuff on launch. They are amazing, but it'll have bugs, I'm sure.

I'll probs get 3DS for Christmas, and PSP2 next year.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I held out on the DS and PSP until finally settling on a DS. Since I've already decided to wait on the 3DS I'm sort of doing the same thing again. However, I never really had any interest in the PSP and so settled on the DS. This time though I think I might actually be more excited for the NGP than the 3DS. They need to get Monster Hunter on this thing ASAP.

The only downside is that it looks very expensive.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
This is realistically next generation portable gaming. It's amazing what Sony is doing and how its really advancing the platform.

They need that afforable price, once they got that OMG **** will be crazy when this thing blows up

finalark

SNORLAX
They need that afforable price, once they got that OMG **** will be crazy when this thing blows up
Agreed, I doubt that the 3DS will be a failure or that the PSP2 will even surpass it for that matter but if they can get a decent price tag along with games that we actually want to play then ****'s gonna get real.

I just hope it doesn't have less battery life than the Game Gear did.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Agreed, I doubt that the 3DS will be a failure or that the PSP2 will even surpass it for that matter but if they can get a decent price tag along with games that we actually want to play then ****'s gonna get real.

I just hope it doesn't have less battery life than the Game Gear did.
NGP battery life likely comparable to PSP

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/ngp-battery-life-likely-comparable-to-psp/

A 1UP report quotes Sony head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida saying that the NGP handheld will have "about the same [battery life] as the original PSP."
And the NGP will not be $599! :bee:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/27/yoshida-on-psp2-pricing-its-not-going-to-be-599/#more-142043

So none of this, then. Unless it’s actually higher than that. In which case, as you were.

SCE WWS boss Shuhei Yoshida has said it’ll avoid a repeat of its E3 2006 press conference by not pricing its next-gen PSP successor, codenamed NGP, $599.

“It’s not going to be $599,” he told Game Informer.
I say that it will cost $300-400.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've actually been considering getting a PSP3000. A Tad off topic, but the 3000 looks a lot better than the crappy launch one I had, and while I dislike UMDs, there are so many good psp games. (Dissidia and MH says it all)

Though a big factor in getting PSP is PSP2. Logically though, buying Sony launch systems is a bad idea, so if I got a PSP in say, March, I'd have a good year+ of PSP.

Confuzzling.

On topic though, I'm wondering will this use UMDS? (I haven't read anything XD)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I wonder, if you buy a psp game off psn, if it can play it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
^ I wonder, if you buy a psp game off psn, if it can play it.
The device will be backwards compatible, supporting any downloadable PlayStation Portable game, existing owners can simply transfer their digital content over to the new device.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sounds like a few months after it's release (I have no faith in launches), it'll be perfect then :p

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
God I want this more than the 3DS now the games look more attractive.

Well, it really all depends on the price and crap

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
When I said that the games look more attractive, I meant the selection of games look like I'd want them, like the CoD game coming out for this

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I was gonna get the 3DS at launch, but got a PSP 3000 instead, and found out that the 3DS will be like £200 at launch.
So I was all like, "Cool, I'll wait 'til next year.", and now this shows up. Come Christmas I'll see what's got the best games, how dear they are, and the games coming out for future release, and decide from that.
That definitely sounds like a plan. I'll probably do that too.

The device will be backwards compatible, supporting any downloadable PlayStation Portable game, existing owners can simply transfer their digital content over to the new device.
You know, that really makes me think that Sony planned this from the beginning.

Think about it. They released the PspGo, said that they were going to put most psp games on psn, and were likely going to use the profits from the Go to fund moving the games to psn. If it had worked there wouldn't be much backlash about no umb drive, but unfortunately, its pretty obvious how the Go turned out.

On another note, the concept of download-only games seems like a clever way around the whole "used games" controversy.

Anyway, this thing better support psn games. That by itself would almost make me buy the NGP.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I was psyced for the 3DS, but the PSP2 may just take my 300$. I want the 3DS for all of the insane 64 remakes, Kid Icarus Uprising, 2 new Resident Evils, and Snake Eater 3D. But the PSP2 will have a new Uncharted, Resistance, and more than likely a great multitude of PS2 remakes with dual analog sticks, not to mention the expected God of War, Ratchet, Jak, Sly, and possible(fingers crossed) new Metal Gear. I dunno, that gonna be a tough one. I may just have to sell a kidney or three to buy both.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I heard Sony was going to sell these at a loss, so I’m interested in what the price is going to be.
The majority of consoles are sold at a loss. They make their cash through software sales. The Wii's been the first one in a while that was actually sold at a profit.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
We don't know yet if they are gonna sell it for 300 bucks...some are saying it's gonna be 400...my guess, 350.

PS3 like graphics on a portable hand held device like that....somethings gotta give.

Also wanna know the battery life and how the 3G is gonna work. Can 3G really be used for online multiplayer? I figure you'd need 4G for that.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I dunno, I was psyced for the 3DS, but the PSP2 may just take my 300$. I want the 3DS for all of the insane 64 remakes, Kid Icarus Uprising, 2 new Resident Evils, and Snake Eater 3D. But the PSP2 will have a new Uncharted, Resistance, and more than likely a great multitude of PS2 remakes with dual analog sticks, not to mention the expected God of War, Ratchet, Jak, Sly, and possible(fingers crossed) new Metal Gear. I dunno, that gonna be a tough one. I may just have to sell a kidney or three to buy both.
Good luck finding it for 300 bucks there.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This thing doesn't stand a chance against the 3DS.

I think the 3DS will end up being the better handheld in terms of both quality and obviously sales.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
This thing doesn't stand a chance against the 3DS.

I think the 3DS will end up being the better handheld in terms of both quality and obviously sales.
Agreed. Nintendo has been in the handheld market for a very long time.

Sony is going to have to bring out all the big guns in order to stand a chance against the 3DS.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Problem is Sony makes it too expensive. Nintendo is really good with good quality and good price. Sony is "Excellent quality for a lot of money"

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Only reason I own a DS-Lite in the first place is because it's technically my sister. I can never see myself spending so much money on a hand held device. I was thinking of investing in a PSP Phone, but it seems like Sony is simply going to be demanding that phones be "certified" to run PS games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Only reason I own a DS-Lite in the first place is because it's technically my sister.
Your DS is your sister?

But seriously, I get where you're coming from. I was never really into handheld gaming all that much, the only reason why I have a DSi is because I was tired of playing nothing but GBA games whenever I went on vacation. I only own three games for it too...

Same goes for my PSP, although the only reason why I have one is because my friend sold me his for $30.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haha woops. Epic typo. I'm not gonna lie, but if 3DS or PSP2 have some kinda cartridge or method similar to what DS has with R4...well, it will definitely increase my chances of buying one.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
3DS release set doesn't look too promising, but by the time PSP2 comes out, I think Street Fighter and Resident Evil should be on the 3DS.

3DS games I'm personally looking forward too...

Megaman Legends 3. MGS3. Zelda OoT.

PSP2.

Uncharted.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm impressed with the PSP2 /NGP. It won't stand up to the 3DS though. PSP was ah huge success in both America and Japan, don't get it twisted.

It will be the same as last generation: DS will sell like no other, PSP will sell really well, but mostly high school kids want it because it can play music/games and is sleek. People want the DS primarily for fun games that they can play multiplayer with their friends.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
It will be the same as last generation: DS will sell like no other, PSP will sell really well, but mostly high school kids want it because it can play music/games and is sleek..
I agree, except that the PSP's main demographic is "Serious" gamers, aka people who think that Nintendo is for children. While Nintendo is a bit more family oriented, the 3DS seems to have a very serious line up, compared to the original DS. There is MGS3, 2 Resident Evils, the first serious portable Zelda(or at least not cel shaded) since A Link to the Past/Four Swords, Splinter Cell 3D, and a new Assassin's Creed, and the majority of those are coming this year. I really think the enchanced graphics and control stick are going to draw in waaaay more serious titles, and I'm hoping for a new 3DS Smash Bros, however unlikely it is.

Top Bottom