• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it's a failure now. Taking off backwards compatibility and blu ray = sucks

It still has Blu Ray and the reason why they took out backwards compatibility is because emulating the PS2 was hard and pumped the price of the system up. The PS3 was a failure in '06-'07 when Sony thought that the 360 was just another Dreamcast and they could release the PS2 without jack **** on it and it would sell.

Then they got their act together in '08, and came back in full force in '09. Now the PS3 has a ton of excellent exclusives, blu-ray and free online as its biggest draws. The PS3 is far from a failure.

My point has been made. Carry on.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The original price of the 3DS meant that Nintendo was making a 100 dollars off of it. More than enough to pay off labor, etc when you add up the total they sold. With that being said...now they are making about 20 dollars when they sell a 3DS.

The PS3 and 360 I believe were losing money on their consoles for the longest time. I'm sure this is going to be the same for the Vita. If the 3G contract proves to be alluring, it might ease the pain A LOT.

At the end of the day though, most companies don't make their money off of selling consoles, but the games.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Vita launches in Japan on December 17th

http://kotaku.com/5840051/how-does-the-ps-vitas-battery-life-stack-up-to-the-3dss

Sony's next system launches in its home territory on December 17th. Pre-orders for Japanese customers are available starting October 15th.

Japanese gamers have a few different options when picking up a Vita. For the 3G-equipped model (with service courtesy of Japanese telco DoCoMo), MSRP is ¥29,980 (roughly $389.80 USD). For the Wi-Fi only model, it'll be a more modest ¥24,980, or $324.80 USD.
How Does the PS Vita’s Battery Life Stack Up to the 3DS’s?

http://kotaku.com/5840051/how-does-the-ps-vitas-battery-life-stack-up-to-the-3dss

Today, Sony revealed that the PS Vita will offer between three to five hours of game play. Sony noted that this does not include network play. This is the battery life with screen brightness at the default setting, no Bluetooth, and using headphones.

The PS Vita offers around five hours of video and approximately nine hours of music in stand-by mode.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
God that's terrible lol. I seriously hope there's some expansion battery available on release. It would also be neat that if it could charge off being connected to a laptop/computer.

So the wifi model in Japan is 325 US dollars...but in the US, it will sell for 250? Wowzers...that's a huge difference.

And maybe it's cause I haven't seen one in person, but why do people keep calling the Vita "sexy" or "slick"? Thing looks kinda ugly to me.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
And maybe it's cause I haven't seen one in person, but why do people keep calling the Vita "sexy" or "slick"? Thing looks kinda ugly to me.
I'm mortified. The Vita is gorgeous. Do you see this thing?

Can you appreciate the symmetry? The curvature? It's techy and expensive looking, and though it's not built to look beautiful, like the DS Lite, it's a damn sexy machine considering all it's capabilities.

It really is what I always wanted as a kid. A mini HD TV I could carry around to play my Nintendo Station.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It looks like a PSP. And by that I mean, it's supposed to be designed Sony Sexy.

Be that as it may, fingerprints and fingerprfingerprints and fingerprints and fingerprints. I'm indifferent to the design, as more often than not, I am more concerned about capabilities and software than I am about what I'm holding looks like.

Also - based off the TGS show last night, this little device is gonna be a smartphone without the phone, and a Port city. Look at all dem ports announced.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No, it does not.

It's marginally smaller than the original DS and that was pocketable.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The trigger buttons are gonna make it extremely hard for someone to "pocket" unless they plan on wearing pants or cargo shorts with unlimited depth to their pockets.

I like how they are adding trigger buttons, but that's the part that is making me label it as fat.

overall though, from that second picture, I'd say it doubles the 3DS' thickness.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Why not wait until you see the product yourself before deciding.

Besides. It's not a required peripheral, and the games that support it only support it as a playstyle choice and is not required.

Now let's keep the 3DS subject in the 3DS thread.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Now let's keep the 3DS subject in the 3DS thread.
But it's so much fun comparing.

Artistically, I do respect the Vita more than the 3DS. Thought-out design from the ground up. The 3DS seems to cut corners wherever it can, and this peripheral, while acceptable (I guess), is just crappy implementation. Reminds me of the Motion Plus for the Wii.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The back touch screen is a terrible idea.
I can't see that being comfortable to use.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The hidden costs of PlayStation Vita: 3DS-esque battery life and mandatory memory cards

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/15/the-hidden-costs-of-playstation-vita-3ds-esque-battery-life-and/

A press release detailing much of Sony's initial Japanese PlayStation Vita offerings quantifies the portable's battery life: approximately "3~5 hours" for games, approximately "5 hours" for video, and approximately 9 hours for music "in stand-by mode." That's with Bluetooth turned off, headphones used instead of speakers, the "default setting" on screen brightness, and no "network" use in games, meaning ixnay on 3G or Wi-Fi.
While Sony offers a charging cradle for the Vita, it's not included. In Japan, the accessory will retail separately for ¥2,800 or approximately $36.
it's missing one key feature: internal storage. While "some software titles are capable of saving [saved data] on to the PS Vita card itself," other "PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card." Those proprietary memory cards are sold separately in 4, 8, 16, and 32GB varieties with prices ranging from ¥2,200 (about $29) to ¥9,500 (about $124).
:urg:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
UMDs were easy to break, even when they were "safe" in the PSP. And it was a failed experiment on a new platform.

The Sony playstation aided in the advancements in CD usages in gaming platforms and Sony hoped to do the same with the Blue-Ray (Which somewhat took off, but digital distribution is boggin down the success) and UMD.

Also - HOW ABOUT THEM PEOPLE WHO TALKED THIS PIECE UP (not in here, but elsewhere)? I suppose this is just deserts.

No one is perfect nor can provide something perfect. It's the PSP v DS situation all over again (overlooking the iOS is sucking out success from the market).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Seriously? No internal storage? They could not even spare 10gb? The PSP GO had internal storage.

Never liked those Sony memory sticks...so useless if I can't apply them to anything else.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
PlayStation Vita to launch in North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Australia on February 22, 2012

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/18/playstation-vita-to-launch-in-north-america-on-february-22/

SCEA head Jack Tretton today announced the PlayStation Vita's US launch date on stage at the Web 2.0 Summit (yes, really) -- it'll arrive on February 22, 2012. As previously revealed, the Vita will come in two separate versions with two separate prices, one for $249.99 without 3G and a pricier $299.99 model.

finalark

SNORLAX
My biggest issue with the Vita is the short battery life and Sony's approach to memory storage. Frankly, we all should have seen the short batter life coming. You don't have a handheld that powerful without sacrificing longevity. Sadly, it seems that neither Nintendo nor Sony seem to understand that good battery life is key to handhelds.

And as for the storage, Sony needs to realize that its not 2003 and that memory cards are pointless now. Sure, being able to take your data over to a friends house without hauling your entire console there is something I miss but in a handheld its stupid.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Febuary? That's like tomorrow in video game news! Yaaay!

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What sucks about the external memory is that it will be using Sony's memory sticks vs say...an SD card which can be applicable to so many things for me (digital camera, computer, Wii, etc.)

I really am surprised the Vita does not have any internal storage. Maybe a revision will deal with that, but that tells me I'm gonna have to spend an additional 50 bucks on a memory card with the console price.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I see them fixing this later on, honestly. I think the Vanilla Vita/3Ds are underwhelming, honestly.

finalark

SNORLAX
I see them fixing this later on, honestly. I think the Vanilla Vita/3Ds are underwhelming, honestly.
Both have potential, but the 3DS is lacking the games that make it worth the purchase. Well, its $170 now but I'd still rather wait for a second model.

And the Vita made the mistake of trading battery life for neat features that will probably go unused for more Vita owners.

Top Bottom