• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Have you guys seen Punch Time Explosion? I expect that level of quality for this game (as in not very good and subpar animation/textures)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Paulgalenetwork updated:

New gameplay details on Sony’s Smash Bros. fighter, exclusive to Paul Gale Network.

November 3, 2011

On October 31st, Paul Gale Network was finally able to reveal a major upcoming game that’d be exclusive to PlayStation 3, in which I simply referred to it as “Sony Smash Bros.” Today I’m happy to present you with a lot of gameplay details.

Visuals:
- Graphics at this point are similar to Brawl, but with higher polygon models and displayed in high resolution.
- Characters look like themselves. Kratos is as you remember him in God of War 3, Parappa is completely 2D, Fat Princess looks like her real self, Nathan Drake is similar to the build in Uncharted 3, Sly Cooper is cel-shaded (a bit like Toon Link), and so on.
- The characters don’t look out of place alongside each other at all. And in fact, it’s really neat in that Smash Bros. kinda way to finally see everyone on screen, together at once.
- Characters have a glowing ring around them while moving around, to help the user identify where they’re at.
- Only HUD elements are your super bar and character icons
- A lot of the art/menus, right down to the design of the game’s name are still in what I call “placeholder mode”.

Controls:
- Use the left analog stick to move your character.
- Triangle, X, Square, and Circle are used to jump and attack.
- R2 shoulder button is used for pulling of “supers”.
- Use your recovery move to get back on stage if knocked off.
- Moves are pulled off more similarly to Super Smash Bros. and not Street Fighter.
- Characters have the ability of double jumping.

Characters:

- Colonel Mael Radec is a playable character and not Rico. Radec primarily uses guns in combat.

- Kratos will make people who like Pit from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, happy to play with. Kratos’ primary attacks are his chains. He also has a charge attack with his spear and shield that’s powerful, yet rather unwieldly. Kratos has a Level 1 bar attack where he plunges his chain into the ground and sparks fly. Kratos’ Level 3 super is him turning into his giant, armored super-self and using his huge sword that’s a 1-hit kill. His recovery move are his wings.

- Parappa seems to have his original voice actor behind him. He yells out some of his popular phrases during battle. He kicks, has a boom box attack, and uses a skateboard as well. His Level 3 super involves him shouting, “I gotta believe” a few times which damages opponents to the point of dying. He also talks while re-spawning.

- Nathan Drake’s moves involve him punching up close, but for most of his attacks, he’s an all-range fighter: he uses a pistol, grenade, and rifle. He’ll probably be the character that most resembles Solid Snake from Brawl. His Level 1 bar attack is him pushing over a statue onto his opponents. His Level 3 super is turning enveryone into defenseless monsters where he can then beat them up. His recovery move is a zipline.

- Sly Cooper uses his C-shaped cane for most attacks. His Level 3 super is like Snake’s Final Smash from Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The super begins with Sly disappearing from the screen, followed by an aiming reticule popping up. Bentley (yup, our turtle friend) shows up and gives you pointers to take out your enemies.

- Sweet Tooth has different nasty attacks with his Level 3 super being him turning into the mecha clown ice cream truck you all have come to love, and is equipped with a powerful gun.

- Fat Princess’ Level 3 super involves a bunch of little elves coming out and throwing fireballs at everyone on screen.

- I will reveal more characters that are planned in the future.

Stages:
- In the LittleBigPlanet stage, Buzz! pops up on screen when triggered (you pick up a Buzz! remote and use it) and asks you certain trivia questions and there are different platforms that appear that you can jump on, with each having a different answer. Get the answer wrong and it’s bye-bye by pie in your eye (KO’d).
- In Jak and Daxter’s “Sandover Village” stage (not Misty Island), there’s a fish swimming at the bottom that will eat you if you don’t hop onto a higher level.
- In Sandover Village, there are characters from Hot Shots Golf in the far background. When you pick up a flag, the camera zooms to the background where the golfers will begin swinging flaming golf balls at the stage, damaging all in their path…so you have to move quickly to get out of the way.
- I won’t be sharing any more stages at this time, but know that they are all very interactive.

Super moves:
- There’s a three level bar that gradually fills up throughout the match as you pummel your foes.
- The first bar that gets filled allows you to release a strong attack.
- The second bar gives your character a cool, more damaging attack.
-The third bar when finally maxed out gives the player what’s the equivalent to a Final Smash attack in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. These above all else, are really character specific in looks and function and are quite nice.

Items:
- RPG Rocket Launcher = a one hit kill.
- Quick Boots = you run around faster.
- Stage exclusive items like the Flag on Sandover, Buzz! Remote in LittleBigPlanet, etc.

Other details:
- If you fall/get knocked off a stage without recovering back onto it, you’ll die. On stages without ledges, you’ll die by a big enough attack or enough back-to-back damage (or environmental death).
- A bunch of attacks, followed by a pause, and then more attacks won’t necessarily KO you. To be knocked out, it seems like you have to suffer something a bit more devastating.
- Characters drop orbs when they’re killed. You pick them up. The more you get, the better off you are.
- The game is expected to be a 2012 title.
- 4 players fight at once on screen.
- The game’s name is still not set in stone, either, but I have been given a couple of different tentative titles…of which I’m recommending one over the other.
- The standard match is 3 minutes long (likely extendable).
- There will be online play.
- PlayStation Move controls have not been added to the most recent build, however that may change.
- The development team said that they’re still working on making the cast and stages a varied one and are looking at plus or minus 20 playable characters.
- The game won’t be littered with half a dozen playable characters from one franchise, rather, supporting characters from these games will have cameos (like the previously mentioned Bentley).
- A few no brainers that I haven’t seen yet but assume will make it are the pair of Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter.

This was the first hint given about what PlayStation 3′s next big game would be. Some guesses were pretty impressive, while others were way off. Hopefully now you see where I was going and I’m looking forward to sharing with you more information when I’m permitted to. Yes I could reveal the tentative title and other details, but have to refrain for the time being. Stay tuned for future updates!
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...-bros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-network/

So basically, the game has a bar system similar to the old DBZ Budokai games, and even Shadow the Hedgehog's Light and Dark gauges in his titular game. Pummel your enemies enough times and you'll be able to unleash special super moves, with the ultimate one packing destructive force on par with SSBB's Final Smashes.

Still skeptic about this though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yep, no images or videos. If this guy is trolling, he's going pretty far out to make it sound convincing.

If he's not though, dude is probably gonna land a nice job with some gaming magazine.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
The only way I can see this failing possibly is if the characters he wants to use are with companies that are against the idea...I know there is more than just that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm disappointed with Drake's lv 3 super. I wanted hurling airplane :(

Kratos' sounds funny. I just imagine a guy raging while stomping on people.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Crash and Spyro aren't going to be in this.

Besides, both game series were always owned by Universal Studios, and one of the reasons why they had a "falling out" with Sony and the PlayStation brand is because Sony thought the properties were theirs and wanted complete control.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
As of right now, Crash is owned by the publisher Activision. No developers obviously, because no game is being worked on.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Battle Stadium DON is garbage. One of the worst games I've played.

Jump Ultimate Stars is so much better and a better rival to Smash in terms of gameplay.

D

Deleted member

Not very interested in this game. My only true wishes are Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy.

:phone:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Why are more people not interested in this?

If all of the rumors are true then this game has the potential to be huge...

Or fail miserably.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I just can't see most of this info being true.
The sony characters just don't go well together. I lol'd at the sackboy vs Kratos picture

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Common guys stop being so simple minded.

Can any of you doubters thinking "Sony characters can't fit well together" honestly say that you could picture Jigglypuff and Solid Snake in the same game before you found out about Brawl's development?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't owned a Sony system in 10 years, all these characters are ones I've never played their games. Reason I'm not interested

Flayl

Smash Hero
If you don't own a sony system, why post at all? >_>

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be more balanced than Smash but if modern gaming has taught me anything is that the mechanics will be simpler, and Smash 64 is as simple as I'm willing to go.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you don't own a sony system, why post at all? >_>

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be more balanced than Smash but if modern gaming has taught me anything is that the mechanics will be simpler, and Smash 64 is as simple as I'm willing to go.
Because the question was, "Why aren't more people interested in this"

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I don't own a Sony system either, but I'm still intrigued by the premise of this game, lol

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Why do people keep saying they want characters like Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, Solid Snake, Raiden, Sora, Riku, etc?

This is (rumoured) Sony Fighter, not Characters That Have Appeared on Sony Consoles Fighter.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
For virtually the same reason people clamored for Sonic, Snake, Pac-man, Megaman, Duke Nukem, Crash, Banjo-Kazooie, Cloud, Sephiroth, and Master Chief during the speculation days of Brawl

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Just when I thought the Cartoon Network fighter was odd enough. At least this game will be more badass... if at least with the character lineup, though to put Kratos in the same game as - say - Drake, or Parappa? I mean, come on...

Still, I may get the game just because I have a PS3, so why not?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because Spyro and Crash were MY Sony...

You new age Sony players should respect that, with your Kratos and Sack things

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Because Spyro and Crash were MY Sony...

You new age Sony players should respect that, with your Kratos and Sack things
I agree with this, Spyro and Crash were definetly the iconic Playstation characters from Sony back then, at least during 1999/2000 era, I believe they deserve some respect as they helped establish Sony as well during the early days, yes I don't mind all the new characters like Nathan Drake and Kratos but the older characters deserve respect as well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well if Super Smash had the Eartbound characters, Falcon, and Pit, I'm sure Sony will pay homage to some of their old characters.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
But THEY AREN'T SONY. THat's kind of the only thing bugging me about people asking for them, I would LOVE Spyro (as long as they represent him with only the first three games...)

Now getting MediEvil, Parappa, and Legend of Dragoon reps on the other hand...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So, this guy says that details are gonna be released about this game and...it's just stuff he's posting on his own blog?

Brb, gonna post in user blogs with my insider info about Microsoft Smash Bros.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
More funny is the way people are assuming it'll happen with no footage out. Do we have anything to go on besides this one guy's word?
More funny how you're assuming that I believe this game will come out for certain despite at current, there is no footage at all. I'm fully aware that this is merely news brought out and that is nothing any of us can go by to determine anything right now. In honestly while a good part of me wants something like this to surface the other part can deal with this turning out to be only a rumor and or this never sheds light and they don't make this game. On the side we can keep an eye out for updates.

Top Bottom