• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
--Update--

Spike TV showed the first footage of the game, now called "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" on midnight of April 27. The footage included videos of a few first party characters such as Fat Princess and Parrapa, and a few stages. Some HQ scans:

It's been confirmed that 3rd Party characters will be playable in the game, and that there will be a final boss character. As far as confirmed stages and characters:

Characters

Kratos
Sly Cooper
Cole
Sweet Tooth
Fat Princess
Parappa
Rico
Nathan Drake

Stages

Ratchet & Clank Stage
Jak & Daxter Stage
Patapon Stage
Little Big Planet Stage
Buzz Stage

Prior info:

The time is now for the big PlayStation 3 game reveal!
October 31, 2011
Update article reminder for November 3rd

Paul Gale Network is proud to reveal one of PlayStation 3′s surprise games, but before I do, there are a couple of things that I won’t be putting in this article: the name of the game, publisher, developer, pictures, video, percent complete, and release date. That being said, the surprise game that I have for you is:

Sony’s equivalent of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

This is real and this is awesome. The game plays on a 2D plane much like Smash Bros. does, with plenty of Sony branded characters making up the combatants. Just who are some of these playables? This isn’t a full revealing, so I’ll tell you the following: Kratos, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake (Uncharted), Fat Princess, Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Rico (Killzone).

The stages are vibrant and varied, just like in Smash Bros., and the style of play is geared towards people that like that series. Expect pretty colorful backgrounds (when appropriate), such as in Misty Island from Jak and Daxter and LittleBigPlanet. In the latter of the two, much like the game it stems from, there are all sorts of cool objects spawning all throughout your match, adding a lot of fan service to the level.

Get it? Street Fighter

Got it? James Bond

Good! Tron

As for the hints, the martial arts photo implied that it is a fighting game. The second picture represented a currently considered playable character not in group (James Bond). The third photo was about lights, flash, and big environments. Do note that this game’s final character lineup may change at any time and stages, balancing issues, etc. are still being worked on. I hope you all enjoyed the news. I will be sharing more in time.
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/10/31/3646/

Take this with a grain of salt, but Paul Gale has written articles for 1Up and CVG, so he does have some relations within the video game industry. And considering Sony's methods of operations recently concerning fan service and IPs this prospect may not be too far-fetched.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Kratos in the same game as Sly Cooper? Right. Sure.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Hehe, I've been following up on this, it seems we are going to get an update on November 3rd concerning it's gameplay mechanics according to that Paul guy.

I hope characters such as Cloud or Sora, maybe even Sephiroth get in as special guest. :D

OmegaXXII

Hehe, I bet Sonic will get get demanded just as much as he was during Brawl's hype, Nintendo should get trolled by Sonic's inclusion. xD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Given how much hype this has gotten, if Paul is trolling, that is gonna hurt his reputation a lot. So I'm pretty sure he has some evidence or insight into making such bold statements.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I won't pre-order it...I'll definitely wait for reviews, opinions, and maybe if there is a demo.
I dunno, reviewers sort of praised Smash-Up, but that game sucked so bad.

The problem with SSB ripoffs is that the people who make them don't understand why Smash Bros. is good (hell, even Sakurai doesn't seem to completely understand why Smash Bros. is good). They usually take the "let's get a lot of well know characters and give them a simple control scheme" angle, but this is a very shallow analysis of Smash Bros. Anyone who reads this site knows that Smash Bros. is all about tight controls and fast paced action. The characters are just there for appeal, and the controls, while amazingly simple, aren't just randomly thrown together. Nothing in Smash Bros. is randomly thrown together. In Smash-Up, most moves are just random animations that are supposed to look cool but not to have any practical effect.

If Sony makes a Smash ripoff, it'll inevitably be an unplayable mess that just isn't any fun UNLESS said game's developers have actually played AND enjoyed Smash Bros. a lot and understand why it's fun.

Atlus8

Smash Master

The problem with SSB ripoffs is that the people who make them don't understand why Smash Bros. is good (hell, even Sakurai doesn't seem to completely understand why Smash Bros. is good). They usually take the "let's get a lot of well know characters and give them a simple control scheme" angle, but this is a very shallow analysis of Smash Bros. Anyone who reads this site knows that Smash Bros. is all about tight controls and fast paced action. The characters are just there for appeal, and the controls, while amazingly simple, aren't just randomly thrown together. Nothing in Smash Bros. is randomly thrown together. In Smash-Up, most moves are just random animations that are supposed to look cool but not to have any practical effect.

If Sony makes a Smash ripoff, it'll inevitably be an unplayable mess that just isn't any fun UNLESS said game's developers have actually played AND enjoyed Smash Bros. a lot and understand why it's fun.
^^^
What this guy said!

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero

Well said. I just hope that this so called Sony Smash Bros. will at least live up to that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That's great and all.

But we still have Nintendo characters.

OmegaXXII

If any disgaea or tales characters show up, I'm booked to buy this.
THIS!

Hopefully Sony will include characters that have appeared and are mostly known for being on Sony, including Laharl, I also wouldn't mind any Namco characters like KOS-MOS or may e Heihachi.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Smash-Up? Is this a game I'm missing?

For the record, something that contributed to the huge success of Super Smash was the appeal of so many characters duking it out, and I think that can work very well for Sony's version. It worked for Jump Ultimate Stars (where as the gameplay itself did not work for Battle Stadium DON.)

Plus, I feel like Sony is not gonna make this a money grabber. They've been campaigning quite a bit on "Long Live Play" and emphasis on the gamer. I feel like they can genuinely make this into a fun/competitive game.

Besides, Smash still had its flaws in balancing, and I feel like Sony could do better. I don't expect a Metaknight to exist.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Why do I feel that Nintendo characters are better at making this kind of fighting genre than Sony characters are? I mean, the characters are a bit too grown up for the kind of fighting game they're gonna make imo. It's not like characters like Drake and Rico or something are the most kid friendly characters in the entire world. It's not like they go into magical worlds in every game they play and fight giant dragons or get the ability to fly and etc. Sure, there's some kiddy characters, but they don't do much of a better job than Nintendo's characters do. I mean, I'll give Sony the fact that Snake isn't exactly a kid friendly character either, but he's like 1 out of 40 or so goofy characters that have magical abilities

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I think this has a chance if they do what nintendon't.
Make it balanced and competitive.

Make it better than DMTV World Fighters please.

Kratos in the same game as Sly Cooper? Right. Sure.
Well if Yoshi can be featured in 2 MGS games and is in the same game as Snake.........

OmegaXXII

Kratos would be boss! I'm expecting some flaws from this game compared to Nintendo's but if a different style and balancing is applied maybe it could be fun in it's own way, I think.

Inb4hebecomesbrokenlikeMeta-Knight

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why do I feel that Nintendo characters are better at making this kind of fighting genre than Sony characters are? I mean, the characters are a bit too grown up for the kind of fighting game they're gonna make imo. It's not like characters like Drake and Rico or something are the most kid friendly characters in the entire world. It's not like they go into magical worlds in every game they play and fight giant dragons or get the ability to fly and etc. Sure, there's some kiddy characters, but they don't do much of a better job than Nintendo's characters do. I mean, I'll give Sony the fact that Snake isn't exactly a kid friendly character either, but he's like 1 out of 40 or so goofy characters that have magical abilities
It's all about the approach. In my opinion, they even turned Snake a bit goofy once he got inserted into Smash. Characters like Ike and Marth also became a bit goofy, when you consider what games they are from, and what their roles are. Despite being Nintendo made characters, Link swinging his sword at opponents, and Ganondorf's overall evil persona are all not exactly "kid friendly."

I think Sony will find a way to make this into a fun game. We don't know exactly know how this game will play out, but for argument's sake, if this game turned out to be a clone Smash, I'd have no problem Nathan Drake punching a guy off the screen to his death, and Kratos upper cutting sack boy so he ends up falling forward to the TV screen.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Thing about Link, Marth, Ike, and Ganon is that they're all fantasy world characters. Link is an elf who can travel through time beating up other elves and defeating giant monsters and other stuff children normally dream of. Ganon is an evil wizard dude who can transform into different animals like boars and what not. I'm going to say it right now I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, so please excuse me if this isn't correct, but I'm pretty sure that Marth and Ike are both sword swinging dudes who beat up monsters children normally dream of as well

With Sony, like half of the characters listed there are from rated R games where characters like Kratos brutally slaughter different characters by using giant knives

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It's all about the approach. In my opinion, they even turned Snake a bit goofy once he got inserted into Smash. Characters like Ike and Marth also became a bit goofy, when you consider what games they are from, and what their roles are. Despite being Nintendo made characters, Link swinging his sword at opponents, and Ganondorf's overall evil persona are all not exactly "kid friendly."

I think Sony will find a way to make this into a fun game. We don't know exactly know how this game will play out, but for argument's sake, if this game turned out to be a clone Smash, I'd have no problem Nathan Drake punching a guy off the screen to his death, and Kratos upper cutting sack boy so he ends up falling forward to the TV screen.
Snake was always a little goofy, starting from his love/fetish for cardboard boxes. Also this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OlFC4D3cq8

OmegaXXII

Steadfast said:
I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, so please excuse me if this isn't correct, but I'm pretty sure that Marth and Ike are both sword swinging dudes who beat up monsters children normally dream of as well
Dude, that game isn't really fantasy based filled with just dragon's, most of the time it's just enemy soldiers.

Anyway, regardless where a character comes from, any said character can be adjusted to to be playable in a "Smash style environment" regardless if they come from an M rated game or not, all the developers have to do is adjust and modify how there going to be handled, and since the game isn't likely to be canon anyway it wouldn't really be necessary to incorporate every single move that they are notable for using, if anything they could tone them down for more "T" rated experience.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never had any Sony system since PS2, and even than the only games I had were made by Square

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I haven't heard ANYTHING about this yet, so I will say "Not buying it."

If Sony announces it, then I'll believe it.

OmegaXXII

I haven't heard ANYTHING about this yet, so I will say "Not buying it."

If Sony announces it, then I'll believe it.
I'm guessing it's because that Paul guy is respecting the developers wishes to keep it a secret, who knows, hopefully it isn't going to be a troll move by that guy.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
That will hurt him if they decide that they aren't actually making it. Honestly I could careless what characters are in it as like was mention it is fun and competitive. Look at Brawl...

They can make any of those characters goofy. That is fine with me. I just want what Brawl failed to do...

Jonas

Smash Champion
Smash-Up? Is this a game I'm missing?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash-Up. Basically a Smash ripoff with TMNT characters developed by Game Arts (the team behind Brawl), which sounds interesting enough, but once you scratch the surface it's easy to see that it has nothing to do with Smash at all (and it's terrible).

For the record, something that contributed to the huge success of Super Smash was the appeal of so many characters duking it out, and I think that can work very well for Sony's version. It worked for Jump Ultimate Stars (where as the gameplay itself did not work for Battle Stadium DON.)
Definitely, but it's far from all it takes. Most people get interested in the Smash games becase of the characters, but people aren't stupid. If Smash was a bad game, people wouldn't be so hyped about its sequels.
Think about this: Melee was the most popular game on the Gamecube. That means that it was even more popular than the games from which its characters originated.

Plus, I feel like Sony is not gonna make this a money grabber. They've been campaigning quite a bit on "Long Live Play" and emphasis on the gamer. I feel like they can genuinely make this into a fun/competitive game.
Do you know Nihilistic Software? Neither do I, but apparently they were tasked with developing a cross-over between Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter and the Sly Cooper series called Playstation Move Heroes. Neither Insomniac, Naughty Dog nor Sucker Punch worked directly with the game. I think this might show us how seriously Sony takes cross-over games.
Still, one could assume they've learned from this mistake. This Paul guy promised more info on the 3rd, so I'm pretty excited to see if it's all bull**** or not :)

Besides, Smash still had its flaws in balancing, and I feel like Sony could do better. I don't expect a Metaknight to exist.
To be honest Smash was never that imbalanced. Melee has at least 6 tourney viable characters and a handful more that routinely make it to bracket in nationals, which is actually pretty good for any fighting game and insures healthy character variety (compare with MvC2 or 3S which both had like 2 or 3 characters but still have amazing tournament scenes).
I don't really follow Brawl, but I hear it's not that bad variety-wise (at least not in Europe and Japan trolololololo).

Balancing isn't the most important thing to consider as long as you focus on making the game feel good to play and, above all, fun. I actually think that unless you deliberately sabotage the game's balance by adding characters like Akuma or Ivan Ooze, or run into some unforseen game breaking glitches, the balance is going to turn out at least alright.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well if Yoshi can be featured in 2 MGS games and is in the same game as Snake.........
Kratos rips off limbs as standard attacks. No way is he going to be in the game, he doesn't fit. Mortal Kombat was his type of Fighter.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Kratos rips off limbs as standard attacks. No way is he going to be in the game, he doesn't fit. Mortal Kombat was his type of Fighter.
I do agree that Mortal Kombat was more of his "type," but c'mon you are obviously overreacting, it's not a stretch at all and you know it.

Besides Kratos will be too busy getting his punk *** whooped by Parappa to even get the chance to attack.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm going to throw my computer out the window if this turns out to be fake.

They could turn Kratos's over-the-top violence into something goofy. Snake snapped necks in Brawl, but it was silly and funny, not gruesome.

Awww man, imagine a Shadow of the Colossus stage... <3

Jonas

Smash Champion
Limb-ripping is only one of his throw options after a grab. His standard attacks are the Blades of Chaos, which need not be bloody in a game like this (Smash Bros. has plenty of sword attacks, yet none of them cause any bloodsheath).

Top Bottom