• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Walk (New AT)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^It is, but apparently a better, faster, (obligatory "stronger") way was found out on how to do this. It's a bit easier to do and it's also much more efficient in terms of speed. I think we can find SOME use for it.

And ya, I didn't mean going backwards so much as I meant going one way and another repeatedly. Basically, the brawl equivalent of the dash dance.

cman

Smash Ace
It is shield cancellable at any point during the animation. You can also turn around while standing, then start to move in the opposite direction while your back is turned. I'm sure you could spin quickly in place by just switching directions too. Another good use for this is that it makes it much easier to turn around and dtilt, especially good when retreating.

Another odd, yet useless, property is that you can do a dash attack from a walk. This only happens when i screw up though.

Best Controller set up i've found is default gamecube + Y=shield + R=attack. Just press R whenever you do a Fair, and you are ready to go. If you decide not to use it, just release R and there are no adverse effects whatsoever.

I think this is really really good. It has all the benefits of walking combined with a slightly faster movement speed and lots of turning. I think it would be really dumb not to use this. There are like no downsides at all.

ps- Smexy Ballerina Twirl

Edit- If anyone wants to help me with a guide I'm going to make for this it would be appreciated.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
And with marth, Rolling out of this might not be so easily spotted by the opponent, as they are quite similar in speed.

Btw, I somehow hitted a 0% damaged Wario with both Dsmash hits, is this normally possible with marth? I was altering between PW and PWC, and managed to do a sliding dsmash facing away from Wario.

EDIT: It happens when you do a dsmash when you are facing away from the opponent during the PW.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
You know, you are awefully pessimistic about all this XD And no, this only happens if you're facing away from the opponent and gliding against them when hitting them with the first hit of the dsmash, which then leads to the 2nd hit. Might be dodgable though...

EDIT: managed to do this without the PW too, but it's a little harder, but in turn it's more common to hit the sweetspot onthe 2nd hit.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Heres what I said about "Glide Walking," which is just a lesser version of Pivot Walking to Steel:

"The thing about glide walking is, you never have to fully commit to anything. You say it'd be easy to punish it, but the way I see it, as long as I'm glide walking I can completely change it up on you without a problem. The fact that its so versatile makes it hard to punish, as your opponent can't have the slightest idea as to what you're going to do next."

And the same goes for pivot walking, I like the idea and I'll work on finding ways to incorporate it into my game.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It is because its much better than her walk but not that much. And if you want me to edit the description, fine, but it is useful for her.
Just edit it so its not "A jigglypuff technique" and you should link to my low quality vids if they want to see it done with other characters, and also my video explaining how to do it >.>

That way you don't confuse people into thinking it can only be done with her, and so they can know the controls on how to do it (because apparently telling them isn't enough, they need visual)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Just edit it so its not "A jigglypuff technique" and you should link to my low quality vids if they want to see it done with other characters, and also my video explaining how to do it >.>

That way you don't confuse people into thinking it can only be done with her, and so they can know the controls on how to do it (because apparently telling them isn't enough, they need visual)
Ok thats cool. I'll do all of those in a bit.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Hm, illialex, what if any uses does PW have for Jiggly? (Except for looking amazing)

And Havokk...two things.

1) You misspelled your name on the video. (nice vid)

2) Using PW didn't seem to really change anything...except he thought you were going to attack out of it in one point of the vid. (he spotdodges as you PW through it) And nice PWed tipped Fsmash! I think he really didn't know what you were going to do...but hmm he isn't that great so I'm not sure. Nontheless, it was hot. =P (Too bad you got gimped at the end...)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Hm, illialex, what if any uses does PW have for Jiggly? (Except for looking amazing)

And Havokk...two things.

2) Using PW didn't seem to really change anything...except he thought you were going to attack out of it in one point of the vid. (he spotdodges as you PW through it) And nice PWed tipped Fsmash! I think he really didn't know what you were going to do...but hmm he isn't that great so I'm not sure. Nontheless, it was hot. =P (Too bad you got gimped at the end...)
It actually gives her good options to F-smash, U-tilt, and best of all, bair out of. If she bairs out of this, she gets insane momentum. So it actually helps her out a lot, moreso than faster characters, also because she is so slow and the speed doesn't hurt her much.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
The pivot walk imo isn't really that good. If you wanna use it between the opponents stocks (as a taunt or mindgame?) idk...go ahead. Otherwise I feel that (on Marth anyway) it really says...I dont need a wall! I can dance! Okay..bad comparison but yeah, its new, maybe it'll have good use sometime and the only way to find out is by using it ingame. However, Im not a big fan of it yet. Also, you can pivot grab without it, which is its only possible use imo.

SuSa

Banned via Administration

And Havokk...two things.

I was playing like an idiot xD and I somehow lost my second jump near the end -.-....yah..

1) Game name is Havok, everywhere else (including description) it's Havokk or Invokke Havokk

2) It changes your ground speed dramaticly, if I get a decent vid of me doing it at Smashville/Battlefield I'll host it... FD is just to large to make any huge use of it, and I'm still getting used to putting Pivot Walking into my gameplay... I'm comfortable performing it, but not quite sure "how" to use it yet.

xD that was his first time seeing any form of Pivot anything by me... so he was confused as hell lol...

I just need to use it less, and more for tech-chasing. (Did I even use Dancing Blade at all in that match? :psycho: myyyy baddd!!! (thats how you know I was sandbagging))

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It actually gives her good options to F-smash, U-tilt, and best of all, bair out of. If she bairs out of this, she gets insane momentum. So it actually helps her out a lot, moreso than faster characters, also because she is so slow and the speed doesn't hurt her much.
Could you DACUS out of it? That would be pretty...amazing. I can see how Fsmash and Bair are good with PW, but Utilt doesn't seem like you would want to to do it much. Good news for Bair though. :)

And I don't think it's worthless...close, but not completely. I mean, how can you say that's not a good taunt?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Could you DACUS out of it? That would be pretty...amazing. I can see how Fsmash and Bair are good with PW, but Utilt doesn't seem like you would want to to do it much. Good news for Bair though. :)
U-tilt is fairly good for Jigglypuff because if you don't hit, it clanks with many moves. And I think you have to be running to DACUS.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
lol I knew marth was gay but srsly. I can see marths and jiggz using this and maybe us falcons if we get desperate enough but it will probably remain pretty exclusive to some characters. I wonder about falcons dair though.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
lol I knew marth was gay but srsly. I can see marths and jiggz using this and maybe us falcons if we get desperate enough but it will probably remain pretty exclusive to some characters. I wonder about falcons dair though.
Falcons Pivot walk is awful, this dude just can't catch a break >_>

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
seems like you could be easily punished while doing this.. the half a second it takes for you to re-setup your wall your opponent could get inside for a dash attack or grab.. or anything really..

unless you can do this naturally. but even then, what is it going to do for you other than mindgame poorly?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yeah takeurlife. This is an old technique But it has recently been brought more attention now because of Havokk's easier way of performing it. Uses however... imo fairly limited

J4pu

Smash Champion
unless you can do this naturally. but even then, what is it going to do for you other than mindgame poorly?
This, except with a more upbeat attitude towards it. What if whenever you were going to walk somewhere you did this instead, after enough practice it would become natural and be sort of 2nd nature. Benefits: people will not be used to it and it could give slight advantages throughout a match. It isn't wavedashing but it could potentially be useful once mastered and implemented.

Roy_R

Smash Apprentice
I've known this since March but kept it secret. This also works for the foxtrot, it gives it a boost making it a little faster than the normal foxtrot, but I never really liked it much cuz you can trip dashing so much.

Top Bottom