• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Walk (New AT)

Daea

Smash Cadet
hahah that's pretty sick looking, and definitely really nice since from the looks of it it's faster than marth's max walking speed.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
This looks too fun and could be useful as a mindgame. Also a plus that marth's version of this technique is too good.

Then i saw ike's and remember'ed why i main Marth.:chuckle:

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I tried hard to work with this a long time ago. Forgive me if I'm still skeptical.

I won't buy into this stuff until I start seeing it used practically in matches >>

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Well...it might be useful as a mindgame in some way. Who knows, Ill experiment with it.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I tried hard to work with this a long time ago. Forgive me if I'm still skeptical.

I won't buy into this stuff until I start seeing it used practically in matches >>
Already incorperating it.

It allows for simply turn around utilt/dtilts (quick ones :3 mind you), a quicker way to walk around (possibly even to avoid a projectile quick enough to shield it)

After a bit more practice, and time to find some good opponents I'll record a few :3 show some uses of it in real matches.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Already incorperating it.

It allows for simply turn around utilt/dtilts (quick ones :3 mind you), a quicker way to walk around (possibly even to avoid a projectile quick enough to shield it)

After a bit more practice, and time to find some good opponents I'll record a few :3 show some uses of it in real matches.
Looking forward to it honestly. I'd like to believe it has a use, but hmmm. The best use I could ever think of it was a semi sliding dtilt. I suppoes utilt would be alright but it's not exactly what I call a safe approach >> As for retreating, well it's quick but you're better off just moving back normally =\
iono, I guess I'll try experimenting a bit more.

cman

Smash Ace
A backward sliding uptilt would give the sweet spot fantastic range. Is that possible?

This also needs a better name, like maybe 'frolicking' or 'the sexy ballerina twirl'.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I'm not sold on the practicality of this but I enjoy that I can now walk crouch dance <_<

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
A backward sliding uptilt would give the sweet spot fantastic range. Is that possible?

This also needs a better name, like maybe 'frolicking' or 'the sexy ballerina twirl'.
Its only smexy ballerina twirl when Marth does it.

SuSa

I got a tipped fsmash using this.
I got a B-Reversed Shieldbreaker while retreating using this.
I got a counter into a fsmash they thought they could release before I got there using this.

It has its uses, just give it a shot.

Edit:

Doop Walk allows certain Dsmashes (like Weegees) to hit twice at 0% .... found it out but forgot to post :p

Not sure what characters it works for, or what characters it works on, or at what %'s.

I just know Weegee vs G&W at 0%. lol

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ok I take back what I said about using this for utilt. On battlefield(or just platform stages in general) you can basically use it the same way you'd use a hyphen usmash but it has a bit more width and weirder hitboxes so it's more confusing on when to spot dodge.

cman

Smash Ace
Smexy ballerina twirl it is then (for marth only).

A fantastic controller set-up for this is default + y=shield + r=attack.

The R button was basically unnecessary anyway. This works really well going into dancing blade. It's difficult to see coming, easy to cancel out of and completely smooth. Its difficult to space well but i'm sure that is just practice. I'm going to incorporate this into my game immediately.

cman

Smash Ace
Marth has the best SMEXY BALLERINA TWIRL. I wouldn't pass this by if I were you, guys.
Yes, and i'm working on it.

Edit: I'm probably going to end up writing a guide on this thing and it's uses. I'm finding more that i like the more i play with it. I'll try to have it done pretty soon

SuSa

Yes, and i'm working on it.

Edit: I'm probably going to end up writing a guide on this thing and it's uses. I'm finding more that i like the more i play with it. I'll try to have it done pretty soon
:3 oh hell yes.... all my testing already xD

If you want some applications, I already can name off 5-6.... lol

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
ZMT I'm not sure if you noticed but I did it a few times in our games :)

I also did some ledge running just for lulz :)

romarthx2

Smash Rookie
I tried doing it and it's pretty cool. But it's kind of hard to get the figering and it only does it to me 75% of the time.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
It'll always be tard trotting in my eyes

And by all means please name the 5-6 ways that this can be used. Otherwise it's like presenting an idea that people can say it'll work it won't but nobody can really explain why it will or it won't because you're talking about a general concept not an actual situation.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Best application and really only application I can think of it for it to replace rolling as an approach. Rolling as an approach is extremely ****TY, and people spam it too much, but with this its viable to get behind people without the horrible lag.

That's about the best use I can think of for it.

∫unk

Smash Master
Wouldn't running just be better in the situation you described Shaya (as opposed to this technique, not rolling).

People think they roll for the invincibility frames but Marth's roll is so bad it can get punished.

Rovl

Smash Rookie
I've played with this a little and i noticed when i mess up i do a sliding f-smash.. anyone else?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Wait, can you move back and forward with this? My wii isn't hooked up right now so I'm a bit lazy to try it out but....
Dash dance anyone? Since you're not dashing or running the chances of tripping so it wouldn't be any worse than walking. And every option is available right out or it so you're not disadvantaged if you can keep track of which way you're facing...it'd be a bit technically annoying to do but if you can keep up with it and do it properly, you can make it work like a dash dance I think.
Of course that's only if it works.

∫unk

Smash Master
do you have to do the jab before to initiate it (the holding down attack part)? if you do then this is almost strictly just a in between stocks show-off maneuver

i guess you could airdodge then hold down attack.... ><

SuSa

@junk

Watch and learn: (and by that I mean listen to my voice explain)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUq0ZIIB_4

Basically, so long as you're holding down A you can do it during anything. A roll, a spotdodge, an airdodge, an aerial, a tilt, a jab, a smash, any special, hitstun, etc.

@fear

You can't move backwards, but you can move both directions and switch directions at basically any time by switching the direction of your analog and c-stick accordingly.... basically go left, then go right.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
@junk

Watch and learn: (and by that I mean listen to my voice explain)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUq0ZIIB_4

Basically, so long as you're holding down A you can do it during anything. A roll, a spotdodge, an airdodge, an aerial, a tilt, a jab, a smash, any special, hitstun, etc.

@fear

You can't move backwards, but you can move both directions and switch directions at basically any time by switching the direction of your analog and c-stick accordingly.... basically go left, then go right.
good shi* havokk

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Basically what Havokk is saying is that you can do anything out of a normal walk using the Pivot Walk. But you also have the option of performing anything backwards.

While this won't be so useful with moves like dtilt or ftilt, there are possible uses with a reversed utilt (trying to hit them with the sweet spot). You can also do a fair or bair out of this walk without having to RAR, so it's faster and less telegraphed. Uair, nair and dair can all be done in reverse as well.

Perhaps not ALWAYS necessary, the Pivot Walk still grants Marth more options. It also speeds up his walking speed.

finalstain

Smash Rookie
If people wanted to incorporate this into their game so that they can perform it on-the-spot (meaning, without having to plan ahead of time to initiate holding A) then it would mean holding down A at every possible opportunity you have, so that you have the option to Pivot Walk at any time. That would be pretty rough to learn since it would completely change the way you hold you controller as well as the way your fingers navigate around the controller. Itd be interesting to see the first person who can actually do this naturally and fluidly without having to think about it each and every time (similar to how L-canceling was).

SuSa

@finalstain

Switch R or L to attack and hold it down whenever you press A to attack. :3 thats what I do.

Comfortable, doesn't take to much thought, and if I decide NOT to pivot walk, I simply release R.

I'll have vids of me doing this soon, need to get some good 3 minute or under brawls xD

@shaya

haven't tried shield cancelling it :3

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
For Marth, it really makes him feel like he is some swarve fast mover on any flat surface (even more so than before). It seems to be great for 'tech chasing', its great for mixups and followups after aerials.

I like it, I really do. I could seriously see myself use it to permanently replace my ground movement while using Marth. Like completely and utterly. As in, I don't see much reason to use either walking, running or dashing.

Top Bottom