• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pink Reaper's Crew Tourney In a world where Sharks can fly we're all ****ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think angel ment, he didn't save the battle log, but I PM'ed PR about that already.

I hate water types for the most part........

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
that sentence made no sense.
I think that was the point.

But yeah, it's probably best to put up the types. I mean, if you're facing someone you're weak against with a relatively un-versatile type, you're sorta screwed but if it could go either way this evens it out.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I do believe that letting your friend know what he's up against helps a lot, actually. The Ghosties have decent capabilities against normal types, and the fact that there are fewer of them actually helps his case a lot, because he can classify what each team member will be made to do at a quicker, easier pace. Normal types, on the other hand, are chock-full of things to choose from, and figuring out exactly what you're going to do with it may end up being pretty overwhelming. So in his case, he may actually have the advantage.
No, it is not in my friends advantage that both he and his opponent know eachother's types.

There are about a half dozen different high level ghost pokemon, so he has about seven pokemon to choose from. His opponent knows exactly which pokemon my friend will select because there are no other pokemon he can select. Not only that, but his opponent knows what type of strategy my friend plans on using, because of how few different ghost pokemon there are. Most ghosts have specific strategies which they employ based on their strengths, and the normal trainer will probably be familiar with all of them on a basic level.

My friend, on the other hand, has no idea what to expect from a normal trainer. There are dozens of normal type pokemon, with radically differing strategies between them. There are also many, many normal-flying types, which cover up the only weakness of normal type pokemon. Had they not known eachother's types, a ghost type trainer could really mess up all the moves and tactics of a normal type trainer. However, now that they know eachother's type, the normal type user has all the tricks. Will it be Usaring, Blissey, Togekiss, Smeargle, Swellow, Likiliki, Porygon-Z, Slaking, Regigigas, Tauros, Staraptor, or others? Who knows? All that's certain is what my friend will do with his ghosts.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
No, it is not in my friends advantage that both he and his opponent know eachother's types.

There are about a half dozen different high level ghost pokemon, so he has about seven pokemon to choose from. His opponent knows exactly which pokemon my friend will select because there are no other pokemon he can select. Not only that, but his opponent knows what type of strategy my friend plans on using, because of how few different ghost pokemon there are. Most ghosts have specific strategies which they employ based on their strengths, and the normal trainer will probably be familiar with all of them on a basic level.

My friend, on the other hand, has no idea what to expect from a normal trainer. There are dozens of normal type pokemon, with radically differing strategies between them. There are also many, many normal-flying types, which cover up the only weakness of normal type pokemon. Had they not known eachother's types, a ghost type trainer could really mess up all the moves and tactics of a normal type trainer. However, now that they know eachother's type, the normal type user has all the tricks. Will it be Usaring, Blissey, Togekiss, Smeargle, Swellow, Likiliki, Porygon-Z, Slaking, Regigigas, Tauros, Staraptor, or others? Who knows? All that's certain is what my friend will do with his ghosts.
If your friend can only come up with one strategy it's his own **** fault. In my entire pokemon career I've used less than 20 different pokemon but managed to come up with 17 different teams with radically different strategies, many of which have the same or only one different pokemon.

No ****ing johns.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's unfair Zook, stop cheating. :(

...But before you stop cheating, give me one too. =D

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
my match with mystickenji is done, i won. sending the log to ya now reaper

edit: wttffff
i just saw that the types were put up!? come on, that ruins most of the fun. i didnt even know till now. w/e im not modifying my team. the fact that the match i just had my opponent knew my type and i didnt kno his and i won without losing a single pokemon shows that im fine regardless of the disadvantage. still stupid though, i didnt tell anyone any types, and no one told me any. you all suck. wheres firuisthedragon type, i mean firusthehedgehog. were up.

edit2:
after reading the crap in here with the ghost v normal debate (whcih is heavily in normals favor now thanks to knowing the type), just catch me on aim and il tell u his team since i already faced him. lol no i wont, but still. see how stupid this is? ppl ruined one of the coolest tourneys.

also lol, grass beat fire

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If your friend can only come up with one strategy it's his own **** fault. In my entire pokemon career I've used less than 20 different pokemon but managed to come up with 17 different teams with radically different strategies, many of which have the same or only one different pokemon.

No ****ing johns.
I wasn't johning, or even complaining.

I was pointing out the falacy in another poster's argument, and explaining how the lack of variety within a type does not help said type.

Think of it as type tier discussion.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Why do you indent? It's not like you were going off on a different point >.>
/complains

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i find it hilarious that there are only 7 fully evolved dragon pokemon. hmmmm... which one is firus not using??

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792

No ****ing johns.
QFT.

That's sort of what I was actually saying. Plus, this is a mono-type tournament. Or in other words, EVERY type has its disadvantages and EVERY type is going to have to come up with strategies to overcome such disadvantages. If your friend is going to run a normal moveset and strategy in such a tournament, then he might as well just hand over his placing and drop out, because he's almost guaranteed to lose sooner or later anyway.

Oh, and Reaper, I like the fact that you posted the typings. I personally believe that, by knowing the type they're up against, the person that would normally have the disadvantage now has the advantage because then they get to play the mindgame of countering their own counter. So by doing what you did, you are indirectly forcing more strategy in each person's team. And that will make for a much more interesting metagame.

...this argument really makes me wish that I would have found out about this tournament earlier than I did. :(

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
QFT.

That's sort of what I was actually saying. Plus, this is a mono-type tournament. Or in other words, EVERY type has its disadvantages and EVERY type is going to have to come up with strategies to overcome such disadvantages. If your friend is going to run a normal moveset and strategy in such a tournament, then he might as well just hand over his placing and drop out, because he's almost guaranteed to lose sooner or later.

Oh, and Reaper, I like the fact that you posted the typings. I personally believe that, by knowing the type they're up against, the person that would normally have the disadvantage now has the advantage because then they get to play the mindgame of countering their own counter. So by doing what you did, you are indirectly forcing more strategy in each person's team. And that will make for a much more interesting metagame.

...this argument really makes me wish that I would have found out about this tournament earlier than I did. :(
FORGET ABOUT THE NUMBER OF STRATEGIES MY FRIEND CAN COME UP WITH.

I know he can come up with more than one strategy per pokemon. You missed the entire point of my post because you think it had something to do with johning. The point was that ghost DOES NOT have advantage over normal if both players know only the other person's type. I made that point because I was responding to someone who thought ghost had an advantage over normal because normal had a lot more pokemon to get confused by.

Incidently, I went to serebii, and only found six fully evolved dragons, includinging Alteria.

What am I missing?

Dragonite
Flygon
Alteria
Kingdra
Salamence
Garchomp

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Incidently, I went to serebii, and only found six fully evolved dragons, includinging Alteria.

What am I missing?

Dragonite
Flygon
Alteria
Kingdra
Salamence
Garchomp
You're missing Latias. It's not Uber anymore.

Also, it's actually Altaria.

I don't know Latios's status at the moment, but voting was just beginning when the tourney was beginning on whether he should remain Uber or be moved down to OU, and everyone except for me (before I actually knew I had Dragon, too) voted not to wait to see how the voting turned out to start the tourney.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I made that point because I was responding to someone who thought ghost had an advantage over normal because normal had a lot more pokemon to get confused by.
I said overwhelming; not confused. And yes, there is quite a large difference between the two. Overwhelming implies that they will not have an easy time implementing a strategy because there are just so many possibilities that they can work with as far as Pokemon goes (I have this problem when making UU teams), confused implies that they wouldn't know WTF they're doing at all because of this situation. I'm not saying that normal types don't have an initial advantage over ghosts types, because they do. A significant advantage, actually. What I'm saying is that because there are so many different options available to the person using normal types as opposed to ghost types, their strategy may not be as fine-tuned or just simply as solid because they had to take more time finding the pokemon they wanted for such a strategy in the first place.

Oh, and there are 10 Pokemon usable by the ghost user, and there are 6 different type combinations he can work with (including neutral ghost). I'm pretty sure that he has enough to work with to stay unpredictable and still keep up with a normal type team of just about any kind if he has the right mindset.

Oracle

Smash Master
I updated the bracket and that sentence made no sense.

Edit: I put up the types bracket because half the players in this tournament have been sharing everyone's type with whoever they play with and rather than drop them I just decided to go with this.

Double Edit: I forgot to put up normal brackets.
It's a random internet meme.

Grunt

Smash Master
imo the type thing was dumb.
no one told me anything, and the only reason I was even close to winning the later matches with Niiro was because I had hidden power dark after i checked the thread.
however our battles reminded me how important switching can be.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Okay, the types being posted definitely changes a couple things... whoever is playing pyschic type... I hope I dont mean you anytime soon (since I'm poison). With my main problem in loser's bracket, maybe i won't get taken out soon; Zook, ready for our match any time soonish?

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah reaper that was not a very good idea, I'm sorry. Now I'm just gonna save up on HP dark's and Shadow balls while my opponent gets lots of focus blasts and close combats

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It wasn't a great idea but on the other hand there wasn't much else he could do...without this, people could have an unfair advantage due to knowing their opponent's type before the match while their opponent doesn't know theirs.

As fun as it is to be assigned one type and use it for the entire tourney, if there's another tourney maybe the types should be randomized after each match. That way the only type sharing that can go on is if someone tells someone themselves and thus it's their fault.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
It wasn't a great idea but on the other hand there wasn't much else he could do...without this, people could have an unfair advantage due to knowing their opponent's type before the match while their opponent doesn't know theirs.

As fun as it is to be assigned one type and use it for the entire tourney, if there's another tourney maybe the types should be randomized after each match. That way the only type sharing that can go on is if someone tells someone themselves and thus it's their fault.
^^^
This. I like this. If nothing else, at least we now have a new thing to try out in the future with these types of tourneys; and I think this one could really work. All you'd do is keep out the types that lose when randomizing, and you'll still have the remaining winning types. It would still require a little secrecy of keeping the knocked out types under wraps, but even finding that out wouldn't be too bad, because I highly doubt every knocked out type would be figured out as it is. So yeah...QFT.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You could randomize the brackets so that no one knows who they face next until match time.

Then it wouldn't matter if you knew eachother's types, because you wouldn't know who you were facing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That doesn't matter...if you know that my type is Dragon, it doesn't matter if you don't know you're facing me until a year before or a minute before, you know my type is Dragon.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be so down on the revealing types idea.. I mean, at least everyone knows what they're up against now... plus running a bunch of fighting moves vs a normal mono (if you're not a fighting mono) won't necessarily win you the match... Type isn't everything (unless its a super ridiculous match-up). Either wya, this tourney seems to be fun =]

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
That doesn't matter...if you know that my type is Dragon, it doesn't matter if you don't know you're facing me until a year before or a minute before, you know my type is Dragon.
I mean, have people select their teams before they know who they'll face.

If I know you're type is dragon, but I don't know whether I'll be facing you, an electric team, or a fire team, I would not be able to make a team that counter's your's specifically; I might have a lot of superfluos earthquakes and a lot less ice type moves than if I knew I was facing you, in which case I would make sure every one of my pokemon had an ice type attack, and none of them had earthquake.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
GG Zook, gl in rest of tourney, I won my match. Looking forward to round 4 =]

*edit*

****... whoever wins next round I either fight a ground mono as a poison mono, or i fight dragon... =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom