• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu as viable defense against metaknight counterpick stages?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm thinking about having a wild card in my pocket for this very specific metaknight mainer that always wins on his counterpicks (frigate, rainbow cruise, delfino,) and I found pikachu to be an amazingly good char with great options. I'm just wondering if this could be a legitimate back-up plan if I really put my heart into learning him. Btw I have gone straight diddy in tournaments.

gallax

Smash Hero
it truly would be a legit backup. not only does MK fear us at low percents, but with proper DI pika can live to high percentages. combine this with a great hit and run game or the option of using the tjolt for spacing makes this an interesting matchup. i wont lie to you though, pika vs. mk is a very tedious matchup.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
yeah but i think those stages are pretty good for pika (idk how they are for diddy), which could also be pretty helpful.

also, woot 1000th post(unepic i know)

K 2

Smash Lord
Yeah, as galax said, I believe pikachu fares better than most characters against MK, but the matchup can be very frustrating. You have to know the matchup really, really well. Pikachu's SB momentum cancel can help him live longer than MK.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Pikachu goes 40-60 against MK, which isn't too bad. If you learn him well, you can win, but it can be a very difficult matchup (Pika's second hardest.)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
who's his first hardest? gaw? just wondering off the top of heads w/o looking at the matchup guide

Master Raven

Smash Master
I think it'd be a good idea. ESAM is not afraid (and actually LIKES) to take me to Delfino and Frigate for counterpick stages, and I still have a tough time with his Pika there. He 2-stocked me on Delfino at a tourney last Saturday. I'm not saying Pika is good vs MK there as I haven't fought him there enough yet, but from my experience those stages are not bad for Pika to fight MK on.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
The funny thing is, I don't know that Metaknight has a truly bad stage. If I had to counterpick stages, I'd probably just take him to Pokemon Stadium 1 with Pikachu.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Kirby vs. MK on Halberd = insta win.

But yeah, if you're talking about stages specifically, Pika probably isn't your best choice for Rainbow Cruise or Delphino or Frigate. Kirby and Wario are probably better characters to use there.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
i like pika on rainbow cruise, its easy ceiling kills from utilt usmash and thunder, and while you will get less thunder hitting you, you get them up high...but its also a good mk stage iirc, and idk who does better

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
lol...Kirby isn't that good vs. MK on Halberd. MK still wins there due to scarily low kills from up B out of shield and uair. ChuDat lost there to the specific MK main that ChromePirate is talking about just 2 weeks ago.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Technically since pikachu fares better against MK than most of the cast, you can just use Pika for that MU anyway, but you have to basically pick him up for serious, otherwise you won't really know the MU and all the things pikachu can do...Pikachu has only a few bad stages (brinstar and luigis) but they can be overcome with other characters that you might play (i don't know who you play)

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I agree with with what ESAM said. Pika has a few tools that work against MK (like jolt going through all of his attacks except nado from the side and glide attack). But yeah, youd have to put a good amount of effort into being good with him. I think NL does the same thing actually, uses pika for RC and other odd stages where recovery matters.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Forgive my noobishness... but who is ADHD?
not really who... its a term for "attention deficient hyper-active disorder".... technical term for some1 who can't concentrate on one thing too long if you say "some1 is ADHD..." (that person spaces out too much). Its not a brawl term if that's what you were wondering.

If that is his game tag... then plz disregard what i just said... lol.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
lmao @ people not knowing the top Diddy main in the world just visited their boards.
Some of us don't follow Brawl players like that..... lol.

I've heard of him, but a) his SWF name isn't ADHD, so not everyone would know, and b) in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't be upset even if I didn't know. It's just a video game, not the Presidency or something.

ADHD doesn't have world proof dude... Lol.

He isn't a god, I don't see why that's a big deal. Very good player yes, but top Diddy main in the world? Extreme.
And this.

Also, I'm thirding what ESAM & Tag/Truth! said.... Pika does relatively well vs. MK, but you have to actually learn him. And his learning curve is somewhat high (not ridiculous, but I wouldn't consider him pick-up-and-play).

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol at people hyping me. Pikachu is so akward, approaching seems to be his weakness :ohwell:

Max Ketchum

ADHD might as well have world proof. Other countries have far less developed metagames, and he places the highest in the strongest region.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pikachu is so akward, approaching seems to be his weakness :ohwell:
I've never found Pika to be awkward, but I've used him since 64, so I guess that's probably why. :laugh:

Approaching can be a problem, especially if you're planning on using him against MK. Fair is Pika's main approach, but leading up with tjolts is usually a good idea.... you can sometimes set up for grabs this way.

QAC isn't a great approach, but it's a viable option if you aren't too predictable with it. Or, you can QAC around your opponent to confuse/bait them into making a move, then capitalize on any openings you create that way.

I think Anther once said that getting behind MK with Pika is your most ideal position, so SHADing behind him might work. I've probably done it, but I can't remember how effective that was in particular.

Max Ketchum

Short hop air dodge is a pretty bad option in general, and I don't see how it'd be any better against MK. Either you bait him into an attack that he whiffs or he shields, both of which he has good options out of. If he shields, he can dair OOS to hit you when you land behind him, tornado to outlast the air dodge, drop his shield to reverse ftilt, dsmash (back hit for more power), reverse up B out of shield, etc.

If he whiffs a move, MK doesn't have significant enough cooldown on anything that'd give you enough time to land behind him with an air dodge.

The only way short hop air dodging behind him would be effective is if you catch him totally offguard and he's unable to react, but there's a large window of time to do that in.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Short hop air dodge is a pretty bad option in general, and I don't see how it'd be any better against MK. Either you bait him into an attack that he whiffs or he shields, both of which he has good options out of. If he shields, he can dair OOS to hit you when you land behind him, tornado to outlast the air dodge, drop his shield to reverse ftilt, dsmash (back hit for more power), reverse up B out of shield, etc.

If he whiffs a move, MK doesn't have significant enough cooldown on anything that'd give you enough time to land behind him with an air dodge.

The only way short hop air dodging behind him would be effective is if you catch him totally offguard and he's unable to react, but there's a large window of time to do that in.
Yeah, like I said, it might work, but I honestly couldn't remember how effective it was. Maybe QAC'ing behind him would be better or something.... I dunno, I don't really approach MK. He's one of the few characters I'll play Campachu against.

Or Chaingrabachu.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Wow at the sidetracktedness. Also kaylo is correct, you are in a good position if you land behind MK.

gallax

Smash Hero
dont forget that MK's dsmash ***** and is spammable. getting anywhere near MK is not a good thing.

my answer: dtilt the SOB

backup plan: run

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I had to leave right away so I didnt explain well, but I think Anther explained this in the pika chat. If you land behind MK you are in a good position to either grab or Dsmash. Also if I remember correctly dsmash tends to pwn MK because unless his shield is full it tends to poke. I dont know if air dodging through works, he could probably nado.

imo pikachu doesnt generally approach, he pressures.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Grounded d-smash will always trade or overprioritize nado if the nado lifts off the ground one bit... I use it when nado comes from far away and tend to keep my distance REAL close to mk, cuz the nado has SLIGHT start up time... noticable compared to mk's d-smash and an u-air or n-air always takes care of me.... (until shuttle comes out O_T)

I feel that the best way to approach a mk is to t-jolt (full hopped) about 2 times... if the mk is good he'll start moving foward while powershielding.... and just dash in with a mindgamed grab.... no shield/nothing just straight up dash and grab. It worked for the most part for me against Forte's MK and all other mk that i fought (except M2K just d-airs... so it doesn't work... lol... j/k). From 0-ish to chaingrab from one walk/dash face-off is pretty nice to start the stock.

Top Bottom