• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Do you mean can you grab them? You can if they aren't well spaced. Dair>D tilt, you can F tilt mk OoS if he delays his f tilt hits (I at least clash when he tries to f tilt->d tilt), SH-> Fair beats f tilt, and if you predict F tilt you can roll behind mk and punish.
No, I meant when I throw up my shield to block his ftilt/dtilt pressure, he punishes with a grab. It seems like once I throw up my shield, I'm doomed to get hit.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's a guessing game. Obviously your options are limited. You can basically keep shielding and predict the grab (Roll away or sidestep in that case). Or you could jump OOS in the gap, if you don't think he is going to do another f-tilt1 (If he finished the 3rd thing of F-tilt you get a free DASH U-smash OOS)

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
Apparently there's a way to break out of grabs earlier...can someone tell me how?

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
I should rephrase that, there's apparently like a set order of buttons you can put in to break out REALLY early, earlier than just mashing random buttons.

...by the way, your avatar is awesome K Prime. =]

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Thanks, your avatar is awesome too. :)

You really just wanna hit as many different buttons as possible. The fastest method for me is setting taunts to jump and shield and just mash dpad and control stick with your left hand and mash A, B, and C-stick with your right. This method can get you a little over 1 input per frame which breaks you out on the first possible frame even at 50%.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If you're playing against IC's and they're good with chain grabs, then any amount of mashing won't help even at 0%. But you should mash anyways as they might screw up.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
unless they get a standing grab, they are likely desynched sligtly and have to pause slightly to resynch to start, unless they are that good at buffering a throw and grabbing with nana to set it up. i havent seen any ics good with that yet

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well if they mess up...you actually shouldn't be mashing becuase you might like...bair into the ground or something...

At 0%, it doesn't have to be a standing grab to start the CG, they can just D-throw you a few times and then turn it (Super easy against Pikachu)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah ive learned only to mash at the beginning in case that happens LOL i have some replays on my wii i didnt upload from monday where my mashing got me killed and or regrabbed XD

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Is there an easier way to short hop and up tilt? Whenever i up tilt i jump instead and i'm having trouble short hopping

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Is there an easier way to short hop and up tilt? Whenever i up tilt i jump instead and i'm having trouble short hopping
Use the X or Y button to short hop. Trying to tap short hop has a very strange timing.

However, I suggest you keep tap jump ON and just spend a lot of time in training mode practicing (concentrate on not jamming the joystick up), as you get several benefits, such as:
  1. You learn more fine-grained control of your movements and get some nice benefits from that (e.g. you'll accidentally smash less).
  2. If you get spiked, you can "meteor cancel" (stop your downward momentum) by pushing jump, but if you push it too soon, you get penalized by having to wait longer before you can jump (which may lead to you losing a stock). Tap jump is for some reason immune to this penalty, so you can spam the crap outta it if you get spiked.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
With tap jump off, you can approach with your shield tilted up which helps Pika quite a bit, imo.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Be less predictable with it. Try recovering at different angles from different distances. There's so many different ways to recover with QA. MK can't cover all your options like he can with the rest of the cast.

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
Is Usmash oos useful for us? I know Olimar mains use it like crazy but i was just wondering about ours, i don't know specifically how fast it is i just wondered if it's something i should integrate into my game, or will nair oos always be superior

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ours is slower/has less range, but it is good for a close OOS punish when you don't want to grab. In most situations grab is better, but at higher %s U-smash is good too, just don't get overzealous because it is easily baited by attacking and retreating.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Upsmash has more range than grab and nair. So yeah, you should use it especially at high percents.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I have to use it more, for some reason I never incorporated it, probably because of Samus's terrible U-smash in melee. Ugh, melee things influencing brawl things are annoying *sigh*

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
makes me glad i completely dropped all previous smash games to prevent that exact thing. ive always been incredibly weak to cross-using moves and techs from other games. like trying to spot dodge in smash sixty four.......

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I played 64 a couple months ago, and it was.... hilariously bad lmao. I kept trying to do just about everything you couldn't do back then. (ono)

Tagxy

Smash Lord
You just have to go at not bad times. Theres a lot of ppl there now.

Also I play 64 now.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
ESAM, why do you like jab so much? It almost never trips for me! All jab does for me is get me fsmashed.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I get good jabs lol. It trips a lot, and I'm really lucky when I'm rapid jabbing. Also, it is a fast interrupter for off-stage.

I swear it has a better trip rate if you hit with where Pikachu's eyes are. I swear to ****ing god.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I swear it has a better trip rate if you hit with where Pikachu's eyes are. I swear to ****ing god.
I feel like Thunder's shockwave lingers longer if you hold B while the bolt comes down.

Isn't it nice to fool yourself? =P

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I get good jabs lol. It trips a lot, and I'm really lucky when I'm rapid jabbing. Also, it is a fast interrupter for off-stage.

this is so true. i get two jab to usmash combos in my last batch of vids i uploaded. ESAM knows ;o and i learned this myself before ESAM ever commented on it

Tagxy

Smash Lord
lol, you have to practice with jab to be good at it. People think I get jab trips more then I should too, but I spent a decent amount of time in training mode messing with jab. Of course in the process I also came up with some super secret jab rules of thumb :lick:

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
beyond jabbing to trip, i also space a single jab to mess up peoples approaches, it interrupts what they were going to do and causes them to stand there. its also decent at knocking olimar when hes trying to grab you

Top Bottom