• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Single jab is good for stopping attacks when you have no other options.

Also Im almost certain that jab doesnt have a standard 10% trip rate all the time. When I used to test jabs Id get a trip a good portion of the time within the first 4 jabs. Using my limited knowledge of stats though, we should only be getting no trips about 34% of the time in 4 jabs. Here's the math if people want to check for formula mistakes.

1 - (4!/(4!*0!)) (.1^0)*(.9^4)
=.3439

I've never explicitly written down how often I got the trip in 4 jabs, but Id say I was succesful about 70% of the time and almost certainly got it more then 50% of the time. 34% seems way too low, although maybe its correct? Been too long for me to remember. Id test this, but I cant atm.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
im very certain that trip percent is dependant on spacing. i know for a fact that the tip of robs dsmash has a SUBSTANTIALLY higher trip rate then further in, im willing to wage pikas jab is the same. almost every time i get a jab to usmash combo, i know ahead of time that its gonna work and i dont know why, im assuming i have the spacing subconsiously down lol

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Tag: That's because the 10%, 20%, whatever trip rate built into a move isn't the only thing that goes into the actual trip rate expressed in-game. Knockback (angle and strength) also affects tripping, but it hasn't been 100% figured out yet by anybody.

Some moves that have a 0% trip rate -- like Zelda's usmash -- will trip when they aren't strong enough to knock you into the air (a.k.a. when they just make you flinch).

@Stealth: See above. But Pika's 3 jab hitboxes are literally identical in every way except for placement (and I think one is slightly bigger than the other two), so there's nothing that would make one of them trip more than the others. It's all in your head. :ohwell:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Give me the info you have. I'm not talking about the Fthrow chaingrab.

I play against a Pika, but the only chance I get to play him is tourneys and I run into him every time. i do alright, but I just can't edge out a set. I'm looking to know about the grab so I can act accordingly to get around it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
19% is the lowest you can start D-throwing him

Like 30% is the highest if you want the full thing. I don't know the exact %, so try to say it in the 20s.

Roller

Smash Legend
You can really start cging him anywhere from 0-30ish%

If you catch him below 19% though, then fthrow cg him 1-2 times (from 0%, 2 fthrows will get you to the required 19%) once he is at least at 19%, start Dthrowing him. He gets out at 104%, so I finish after the dthrow right before that so I can get the attack in.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I wish I knew... I'm thinking about going MK just for that MU. I would like to try Pika a few more times before I decide that. :x

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
thats a really tough thing, and as the only pikachu that doesnt think its that bad of a matchup -i would say negative one- i feel obligated to explain LOL but i dont know why i feel that, but i have never thougt the matchup felt impossible, which marth and ICs have felt like that to me many times

also wut@ prime using mk

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I've played Logic in tournament with Pit a couple times and he just shuts me down. I don't even want to try pikachu if it's supposedly one of our worst matchups. I'd like to hear your opinion stealth.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the hardest part is getting inside. once you get him off of the ground, holding shield where he lands shuts off every option and you can get him back up again. the whole key to the matchup is approaching, which really requires you to know olimars options, watch his pikmin line, and predict what his next move is. if you can predict it pikachu can punish almost anything he can do, the problem is doing it enough to get at him. it all depends on the olimar really, and as qualification for my beliefs fino lives in my city so i get a **** ton of olimar practice and i currently am very close to going even with him

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Didn't you get 2 stocked twice by Denti in a MM? I don't think Denti is even considered top 5. How can you say it's not that bad?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
hes a different olimar who did different things then fino does :o plus at the time fino was also two stocking me lol. also im not considered a top five pika so :p i would call the matchup a negative one, and i would even comprimise to negative two but i dont think its our worst matchup, or at least mine. i could have some bias because of how much i play fino and how much i understand that matchup vs others but i cant really give a definite answer to that question.

note im still learning how to read better so im a little bit slow on adapting to new playstyles and i wasnt able to fully get how he was playing the matchup at the time so bam he two stocked me. he also understands the matchup as good if not possibly better then fino, and is flat out a much better player then me period

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Metaknight would be a bad choice to fight Olimar. Ice Climbers would be good, or if you have the time to learn falco thats even better.

I once talked to L about this MU in the pikaxat. I was pretty convinced it was a fairly bad MU for pika, while he believed it was close to even. His reasoning was that if olimar gets knocked offstage, he should not be returning. He went as far as to say that pikachu is better at edgeguarding than metaknight, since its a lot easier to whistle metaknight and return to the stage due to his bad mobility, while pika can keep punishing after the whistle. Pikas multihit moves might also be better and outlasting whistle.

I've played rich in friendlies before and done pretty well, but I feel like thats mostly because he doesnt know how to play the MU as well as he could. But a few things I did notice was that I tended to do better when I was using QA well, I feel like its a pretty important move in this MU. Of course the basics of "get him in the air/offstage" still apply as well in allowing us to deal some good damage. But yeah, annoying MU.

Roller

Smash Legend
I wish I knew... I'm thinking about going MK just for that MU. I would like to try Pika a few more times before I decide that. :x
Metaknight would be a bad choice to fight Olimar. Ice Climbers would be good, or if you have the time to learn falco thats even better.

I once talked to L about this MU in the pikaxat. I was pretty convinced it was a fairly bad MU for pika, while he believed it was close to even. His reasoning was that if olimar gets knocked offstage, he should not be returning. He went as far as to say that pikachu is better at edgeguarding than metaknight, since its a lot easier to whistle metaknight and return to the stage due to his bad mobility, while pika can keep punishing after the whistle. Pikas multihit moves might also be better and outlasting whistle.

I've played rich in friendlies before and done pretty well, but I feel like thats mostly because he doesnt know how to play the MU as well as he could. But a few things I did notice was that I tended to do better when I was using QA well, I feel like its a pretty important move in this MU. Of course the basics of "get him in the air/offstage" still apply as well in allowing us to deal some good damage. But yeah, annoying MU.
Don't go MK. I've watched L rip apart any MK that isn't extremely good. Also, L thinks the oli pika mu isn't that bad partly because Anther has knocked him out of tourney enough times to the point where I'd probably think the mu wasn't bad if I were him either. I'd learn ICs. But. This is me you're talking to.. lol. Falco would be solid though if you like using him.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
19% is the lowest you can start D-throwing him

Like 30% is the highest if you want the full thing. I don't know the exact %, so try to say it in the 20s.
You can really start cging him anywhere from 0-30ish%

If you catch him below 19% though, then fthrow cg him 1-2 times (from 0%, 2 fthrows will get you to the required 19%) once he is at least at 19%, start Dthrowing him. He gets out at 104%, so I finish after the dthrow right before that so I can get the attack in.
Yeah, I'm the Falco in the match-up and I just want to know when I can open up and take a few risks should I see an opportunity. I know he can Fthrow you into Dthrow, but I've been scared ****less till about 50%. Now I don't have to be as scared ****less.

Mashing jump gets me out with a footstool should I get caught and he ****s up and presses late, right? Or is there something else really cool I should know about?

Thanks for the help.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Random advice TinMan gave me: Approach with nairs. If you sh them so you can DJ out before they can grab you, it screws them up. It goes over fsmash. They could probably jab or upsmash if they're expecting it, but nair isn't a normal approach.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Random advice TinMan gave me: Approach with nairs. If you sh them so you can DJ out before they can grab you, it screws them up. It goes over fsmash. They could probably jab or upsmash if they're expecting it, but nair isn't a normal approach.
That's really interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I really just need to play it a **** ton more.

Roller

Smash Legend
Well then, it looks like ESAM needs to get his *** to Ann Arbor.

Just for reference, our last 2 Locals finals were Lain vs Judge and Lain vs Ally. The former one was an 18 man tourney and Tyrant didn't even make it to top 2.

EDIT: It's so easy being Brick. ;)

Roller

Smash Legend
GSS=Regional for clarification. But your boy Kain got it in.

Granted Lain CP'd TO RC twice in losers finals, after getting CP'd there. After winning first 2 games handily on normal stages. lol

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So far @_@

How about I beat Lain in a MM and then Judge in a MM whenever I see them (Probably Genesis)? Also, I've beat Ally recently, I'm the only ****ing person to do that in the past 2.5 months...

Roller

Smash Legend
Did you see Lain's set vs him? @_@ He was up 3 stocks to 1 game 5 and blew it. =[

And you beating the 2 of them in MMs would suffice. But I doubt Judge is gonna leave the MW to play any time soon. Lain is the main one to beat anyway though.

Top Bottom