• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Dunno the first one, but for the super glide toss, you gotta input the throw on frame 1 of Pika's roll.

So: input roll > frame 1 of roll comes out, input throw > super glide toss!

(If you meant which frame the item gains a hitbox on, that depends on the throw.)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Dthrow > Nair works on everyone except Peach, Samus, Jigglypuff, Zelda, and Lucario. For Diddy and a few other characters you may need to either buffer a fh nair or a buffered dash nair for it to connect.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Do we have enough frames to use a jab trip>pivot>short hop uair>footstool>qac lock?

Same question, but with a dtilt trip>run behind them>short hop>uair>footstool>qac lock.

It looks okay in training mode, but then again they aren't struggling. Obviously they can DI, but i just want to know if we get a lucky trip it could be a potential stock.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Both of those could work. On the 2nd one, it might be better to run towards them and pivot instead of running behind them.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt either of those. I rather just fsmash, usmash, or grab on trip. It's so much easier and you still do a lot of damage..

PZ

Smash Lord
Should we use hug instead of grab? It just seems like a T-Rex trying to grapple you but actually looks like hes giving you a hug or going to chu/numnumnum you.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah, input the dash right after Pikachu kicks his rear legs up and throws them off his back.

I think the ROB MU is +1 Pikachu. His tilts aren't that fast or scary, and once Pikachu gets in he kinda wrecks. Your projectiles are easy to see coming and your lack of mobility really hinders you. Your range is still good, but not as amazing as we thought at the beginning of the metagame. Slight advantage for pikachu, and I can't imagine anything more.
Thank you; totally agreeing with you, and I really mean ALL you've mentioned. R.O.B.'s disadvantage 45:55.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
How safe is spaced fair on shield?

Like if spaced and retreated, can anyone punish it?

Does fastfalling it make it any better on shield?

Nordal

Smash Lord
No attack in this game is "unpunishable". Everything can be punished with proper reaction time/prediction. How safe is a spaced SH Fair? It really depends on the situation- how full is their shield, did you shield poke, what are their options OoS or after dropping their shield, did they spotdodge etc etc. Fair is a really good move though, albeit easy to be SDI'd.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Uhhh there are some unpunishable attacks , but you have to be thinking about one matchup at a time though, because certain characters can probably punish moves that others can't.

PZ

Smash Lord
I have no idea how practice this sense the computer is basically never gonna do this...and theres not many wifail falcos. Im doom to lose that mu everytime. Well im more confident to use pika but you know be prepared!

Zee725

Smash Apprentice
if a falco is ledgehop lasering, approach with a double jump and use a Tjolt. If they get hit by it or shield it, react to the hitlag/shield lag and etc. if they use reflector, you'll have time to run up to falco because of the cool down lag of the reflector (beware of jab) and if they're in the middle of hopping onto the ledge and they get hit by it, you've got a great shot at an easy gimp.

PZ

Smash Lord
if a falco is ledgehop lasering, approach with a double jump and use a Tjolt. If they get hit by it or shield it, react to the hitlag/shield lag and etc. if they use reflector, you'll have time to run up to falco because of the cool down lag of the reflector (beware of jab) and if they're in the middle of hopping onto the ledge and they get hit by it, you've got a great shot at an easy gimp.
This answer has too much win...ty sir.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
How strong of an option is DThrow -> UTilt -> FH NAir -> FF FAir -> FTilt ? I use Pikachu casually and have had a lot of success with this, but think that is due more to the people I play not knowing what to do rather than it being a legitimate string of moves. So I'm curious if anyone else does this, and how successful it really is.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Ah, Thanks for the info. How about DThrow -> UTIlt -> SH NAir -> FF -> FTilt ?
I also catch them with this. Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm just curious and I appreciate the feedback.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean, any of these could work, but they aren't guaranteed. IDK how the nair would hit after the u-tilt.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I think ftilt can sometimes beat out Peach's fair. FH dairs are pretty effective against her, especially if they're in the air a lot spamming dair. I dunno about utilt.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Utilt isn't used for combos a lot because she is so light, but I think it can punish d-air if they try to do another one, or any other move. At higher percents, n-air would probably be better for this, though.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Hey how effective are Utilt/Ftilt angled up vs Peach?
ftilt and utilt will almost always beat out peachs fair if they commit to hitting you or your shield. There might be an exception if they come at you directly horizontally, either way its better to stutter step fsmash at that point.

Dair is harder. It might hit but they can also space it so it wont.

Zee725

Smash Apprentice
when olimar's standing on one side of the stage using Fsmash and short hopping side B, how do you approach? Keep in mind he'll do some running Usmashes if he sees your approach as well as Dsmash when you land.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone point me in the direction of some decent Pika vs. G&W videos? I'm trying to figure out the matchup, and youtube has not been very helpful. Seems like every character that isn't MK or Snake only has videos of them playing MK or Snake.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
when olimar's standing on one side of the stage using Fsmash and short hopping side B, how do you approach? Keep in mind he'll do some running Usmashes if he sees your approach as well as Dsmash when you land.
This is not from experience, but you should be able to jump around to easily outmaneuver the thrown pikmin. If any if them latch, Nair. As for aproaching, I would think the best you can do is watch for when they're gonna throw pikmin, and be close enough to hit them from underneath when they do.

And you're saying to keep in mind of things he'll do. Like fsmash. Nair over fsmash. If you buffer it out of a short hop you can jump away if it's not safe to land, or use Nair again if he's still venerable. As for the dsmash, start baiting it. Switch between landing with a Nair/fair, landing with an airdodge, landing with nothing, and not landing at all: jump away and tjolt as you land. Or QA away if he catches onto the landing tjolts. Cause you don't wanna get catch in the ending lag of those.

:phone:

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
I thought it did a great job of showing how to use the smash ball to our advantage in the mu. :denzel:
And how to plank the **** out of that octopus. Also, Plank the Octopus sounds like the name of a really bizzarre band.

I would totally be in a band called Plank the Octopus.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
True story. My first 1v1 game against Anther, someone forgot to turn smashballs off on the wii. Best. Game. Ever.
Not gonna lie, I sometimes yearn for the days when me and all my friends sucked at brawl and our epic/desparate smash ball rushes...

:phone:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I think were all more or less at a loss on this one. Everyone fails at the MU except 09/early 10 Anther.

Roller

Smash Legend
Anther is still great at it. He just hasn't been to a tourney since October. lol

And Z, you left out his pivotgrabbing if you make it through his little wall.

Top Bottom