• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Zee725

Smash Apprentice
yes definitely the pivot grabbing as well. That kinda ruins the "baiting a Dsmash" because if you land anywhere you can't really spot dodge/land with an airdoge/land with anything =/

This mu feel even, but when facing olimar I lose track of how much percent I take vs how much I dish out. I do seem to punish Olimar a lot when he lands, because his options seem limited. I think that Dthrowing/Uthrowing come in handy in this matchup if you're near the center of the stage (if you're near the ledges then throw him off stage of course) but I think that punishing his landings and keeping him air-born is the only way to consistently put on damage. Idk if this has been stated already or something but i'm just posting some of my recent experience vs olimar.

and honestly most of my experience vs olimar is coming from wifi so bear with me please!

_umbra_

Smash Champion
so, I've been trying to learn the fleedle deedle... I can buffer the dash and jump, but I can't seem to get the uair. I always seem to usmash :mad:. Can anybody help me out?

Roller

Smash Legend
if you can buffer the jump, inputting the upair right after should do it... Try just nairing at first.

Also. Just to clarify. Fleedle deedle is NOT the name of that technique. It is the name of one portion of the technique. aka the uair->footstool. Which is not what you are having problems with. Your problem is with the preceding inputs to set up the guaranteed fleedle deedle. There should really be a name for the entirety of the dthrow->buffered dash;jump;uair->fleedle deedle-> QAL->jab lock->kill move combo.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
ah damn, I thought that was the name for the whole thing -_- my bad lol

i can do a nair just fine, I just can't seem to do an upair for some reason... I do all the inputs, but pika just chills on the ground and upsmashes, not sure why :( I'll just have to sit in training mode for a while and figure it out

Roller

Smash Legend
*sucks it*

Also, why is the thread for it not just named that then? Instead of the longer title.

"D-throw Uair Footstool: 2 ways, both amazing!" seems unnecessary.

Roller

Smash Legend
Exactly. You explain it in the thread. So just name the thread after the technique it describes. How does it make more sense to name it after half the inputs than the technique's name itself?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's more appealing when people understand the implications of what they can do than just seeing "WTF FLeedle Deedle, ESAM is just being weird"

Why is SWF having so many pointless arguments recently @_@

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
@Roller - Why are you arguing about this? There's nothing wrong with his thread. Just stop. x.x

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm in an arguing mindset due to the BBRRC and the Unity discussion thread on metagame blah blah.

Question: Should we test who uair footstool kills off-stage? It seems like it could be very useful in edgeguarding. I know I did it to Illmatic.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I always try to uair>footstool when edgeguarding. I've killed MK's with it before, but I had to do the uair>footstool more than once, lol. This should kill just about anyone with a weak recovery.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I know it's extremely situational, but has anyone thought about using QAC to push an opponent offstage? If we were to grab the ledge before they can, we'd prolly have a better chance at dishing out a slight punish for them shielding close to the ledge.

Zee725

Smash Apprentice
What options does pikachu have vs a metaknight that runs towards you and approaches with a retreating short hop Fair? I'm having difficulty approaching or spacing vs a metaknights sh fair, it pushes pikachu back and allows MK to get aggressive and string moves together with dash attack/Dthrow

PZ

Smash Lord
What options does pikachu have vs a metaknight that runs towards you and approaches with a retreating short hop Fair? I'm having difficulty approaching or spacing vs a metaknights sh fair, it pushes pikachu back and allows MK to get aggressive and string moves together with dash attack/Dthrow
Im not sure about this but dtilt or ftilt should do?

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Tjolt lots. Their fair has a transcendient hitbox, other moves don't clash with it. Which means they'll just eat a Tjolt.

Or if they're being predictable, wait for them to do it, dash in and grab during their landing lag.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Agree completely with syko, especially the jolting part. If MK is in the air hes fairly vulnerable to jolts that cross his path, its something you can time as well. Dont be afraid to use grounded or sh jolts either, just watch out for tornados.

sh airdodging through and buffering a reverse grab or dsmash/attack (a.k.a. the anther) after is another option to mix it up too.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
What do you do when you're falling just about offstage vs a mk that is just waiting. Everything I did falling vs Bloodcross's metaknight got punished by a shuttle loop, nair, or uair. The character is just so ****ing broken. I get the 60% from the cg, now what?

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
What do you do when you're falling just about offstage vs a mk that is just waiting. Everything I did falling vs Bloodcross's metaknight got punished by a shuttle loop, nair, or uair. The character is just so ****ing broken. I get the 60% from the cg, now what?
The first part is stage dependant. If you're on BF, I like to QA to one of the platforms. Or just go to the ledge and plank a little, that's safe too.

Second part: After you get the 60%, it's really just about properly doing the rock paper scissors thing ESAM talked about in some thread a while ago....I'm not sure where. Anyway, I don't really remember it, except that our dair beats MK's ftilt 1 and 2, but his fair beats that...................idk

Use dtilt to space, throw out lots of Tjolts. I really like fair for this matchup, cause you can hop over his tilts(and it hits him), if you predict a fair, you can just do a fair before he does that, or if they spotdodge, you can get lucky and hit with the end of the fair.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No we couldn't do anything about that. We never dash to the point of running. I tried that already.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
REALLY stupid question about DI: Do you need to input DI as you get hit or can you input it after you get hit? I'm fairly sure it's as you get hit, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

EDIT: Also, do you need to spam it, tap it, or hold it to actually influence your direction?

I've got the whole momentum canceling thing down, but I'd like to die less, and these questions have been lurking in the back of my mind for an embarrassingly long time.

Yikarur

Smash Master
REALLY stupid question about DI: Do you need to input DI as you get hit or can you input it after you get hit? I'm fairly sure it's as you get hit, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

EDIT: Also, do you need to spam it, tap it, or hold it to actually influence your direction?

I've got the whole momentum canceling thing down, but I'd like to die less, and these questions have been lurking in the back of my mind for an embarrassingly long time.

why stupid question? don't say that.

for normal DI you just need to hold the stick, DI is registered in the first frame of knockback. (right after hitlag)

Frio

Smash Champion
Since we're on the topic of DI can you guys help me out. I'll just use an example of how I di. When snake U tilts me I Hold my control stick to the right and smash Up on the c stick. Is this right? And if I get hit horizontally I Hold up on my control stick and spam U air.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Saying right or left isn't accurate when talking about this. To DI Snake's U-tilt you need to DI through him. Don't tap the C-stick until after you get hit to buffer an aerial.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Only vertical. If you fast-fall when hit horizontally it kills you faster, unless you need the room to jump.

Frio

Smash Champion
So if I get hit by Snakes U tilt I di horizontally into him -> Fastfall, while u airing?

Scatz

Smash Champion
Is there any vertical move where you have to DI away instead of DIing into them? My fault was that I believed you had to DI away from vertical moves to live longer...

Top Bottom