• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Do you know how long that would take? @_@
Preee long

So I randomly decided I want to learn the QAL. How exactly do you do it with no tap jump? I've been quick attacking and holding diagonally down and towards my opponent then I jump immediately and QA in the opposite direction but I can't get it to work.

Do I NEED to jump? When I see people do it they jump prior to the QA. But I just assumed that's because they have tap jump on and it jumps automatically.

PZ

Smash Lord
Preee long

So I randomly decided I want to learn the QAL. How exactly do you do it with no tap jump? I've been quick attacking and holding diagonally down and towards my opponent then I jump immediately and QA in the opposite direction but I can't get it to work.

Do I NEED to jump? When I see people do it they jump prior to the QA. But I just assumed that's because they have tap jump on and it jumps automatically.
Ya dude you need to jump when you touch the ground to perform QAC then once you get the hang of it you can try QAL. I think if you use tap jump its slightly faster.
QAC=quick attack cancel
QAL=quick attack lock

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Ya dude you need to jump when you touch the ground to perform QAC then once you get the hang of it you can try QAL. I think if you use tap jump its slightly faster.
QAC=quick attack cancel
QAL=quick attack lock
I thought quick attack canceling was just canceling the quick attack by holding down. I'm not sure if you need to dair or jump for it to actually be considered a QAC. But if we're saying you have to jump then I need to QAC and immediately input a QA and QAC to the other side and repeat? I can do that, but it's not working. Pikachu jumps a little higher than he does in the videos I've seen before he starts the QA. Any tips? Preferably from a Pika who can actually do this with no TJ xD

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work. I didn't think it would work since it looks a little different but I guess the timing is a lot less strict than I thought.

PZ

Smash Lord
I thought quick attack canceling was just canceling the quick attack by holding down. I'm not sure if you need to dair or jump for it to actually be considered a QAC. But if we're saying you have to jump then I need to QAC and immediately input a QA and QAC to the other side and repeat? I can do that, but it's not working. Pikachu jumps a little higher than he does in the videos I've seen before he starts the QA. Any tips? Preferably from a Pika who can actually do this with no TJ xD

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work. I didn't think it would work since it looks a little different but I guess the timing is a lot less strict than I thought.
Funny I felt that your post insulted me then your EDIT basically made me say I TOLD YOU SO.

Yikarur

Smash Master
you don't need to jump ouf of quickattack, you can just use quick attack immediately again for the cancel.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can buffer anything besides ground moves out of QA. Most of these do nothing (Such as nair, fair, bair, and air-dodge). You can just buffer another QA out of the QA, you don't need to jump. If we needed that...the tech would be slightly difficult.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
You can buffer anything besides ground moves out of QA. Most of these do nothing (Such as nair, fair, bair, and air-dodge). You can just buffer another QA out of the QA, you don't need to jump. If we needed that...the tech would be slightly difficult.
<3
This is a lot easier than I was making it.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
The button combination I memorized with requires me to press Y so I'm jumping when I don't even need to. It doesn't make much of a difference if you buffer a jump imo, it might even be better.

THuGz

Smash Lord
On falco or wolf, if you start out facing the ledge and you're too close to be able to fthrow to complete the cg, can you run thru and pivot grab out of a downthrow guaranteed? Or can they get out of it somehow?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pivot grabs take longer, so this would be impossible. I'm pretty sure you also can't buffer a dash pivot grab either way.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
19% is when it starts (I believe). If you do it earlier, he can footstool out of the first few.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Or he ****ed up. We thought for months we could CG MK at 10%, but we learned, after people started footstooling (Like M2K and Seibrik)

Roller

Smash Legend
Thugz, on wolf you only have to do one fthrow, you CAN replace it with a pummel tho. Check the wolf's fingers, if they are mashing hard then just cg him without the pummel, if they are trying to shine out then do the pummel.

Nordal

Smash Lord
What are the most consistent stages to perform the fleedle deedle (d throw buffered dash FH uair footstool) on aside from FD? I've gotten it to like a 30% consistency, but I did see a match where ESAM did it on YI and it didn't lock.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
FD and SV. Slants mess up ground locks and they just stand up, so that is why it didn't really work on Yoshis. It is hard to do on BF due to the platforms. You can do it on PS1/2, Castle Siege (2nd part), Delfino, and thats pretty much it.

PZ

Smash Lord
I find falcon's frame trap harder depending on the character im going against when I do dthrow<buffer dash<buffer SH uair its easy same for pika but with FH seeing how you have slightly more time during pika's dthrow. What messes me up strangly is the DI part and the result: the qac lock which I've never perfected even afte.r all the previous locks were made lol:urg:

Nordal

Smash Lord
I usually have to warm up with dash FH nairs before I do the fleedle deedle though. Messed it up in some matches I saved and up tilted instead lol.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I can fleedle deedle like half of the time. My problem is reading their DI so I can keep locking them. I always try to get a bunch of percent with qac and the eventually DI away far enough that I don't even get to finish them off with charged fsmash or thunder lol.

PZ

Smash Lord
I can fleedle deedle like half of the time. My problem is reading their DI so I can keep locking them. I always try to get a bunch of percent with qac and the eventually DI away far enough that I don't even get to finish them off with charged fsmash or thunder lol.
Yea I dont even get to that part or if I somehow do di towards them and foostool I mess up the execution of the angle of qac.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I'm suddenly all interested in frame data. One more question. When someone is locked how many frames do you have after each hit to continue the lock say with qac and if it's different like for hitlag then jab too.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but how do I dthrow cg falco past 70 percent? I think I'm doing everything right. With every move fresh, I fthrow cg falco to 20% then switch to dthrow cging. I'm pretty sure that is how I read it is supposed to be set up. I even went into training mode and slowed the timing down to 1/4th the speed to ensure I buffered a grab right as pika was falling back to the ground after doing the body slam. When I do this, it doesn't seem like I'm having trouble grabbing, it seems like I always get the buffered grab off. The problem rather lies in the fact that at about 70%, the cpu falco can jump and airdodge out of the dthrow. So, any suggestions?

Roller

Smash Legend
One of two things.

Either, all this practice is happening in training mode, in which moves do not stale. (aka they can get out sooner)

OR you are not buffering the input in the correct frame window.

But it sounds like your issue is number one. Just try it in regular matches. Vs a friend buffering jump, if you have one available. My guess is you're doing it fine.

Top Bottom