• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Brawl 7 - IMPULSE Circuit - Ft. Felix, Alphicans, KillLock, Asa...

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Really late reply to the AB carpool, but you guys can come to my house Friday night any time before like 1 am, preferably as early as possible for the most pre-event practice! But I guess after 3:00 pm because I have school.
WAIT WHAT THE ****?

no such thing as 'pre-event practice' when I was the one at your house.

I mean, really?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Pretty sure he had other obligations last time...

A couple things about the event:

The venue has scheduled a Magic pre-release event for the weekend of the tournament. This means that the venue will be fairly busy, at least towards the beginning of the day. I talked this over with the store employee who takes care of event scheduling yesterday; he said we will be able to get the space we take up for our monthlies, and if necessary, we can use the space on the second floor. If we can secure these spaces as a bare minimum, we will have enough space to accomodate everybody assuming the numbers don't get too crazy, but it'll take some creative management on my part to make sure the tournament runs smoothly. We could fit 6-7 set-ups in the space we use for our monthlies, and another 4-5 on the balcony. For doubles, we could easily have the main area accomodate the bracket, with the balcony upstairs reserved for friendlies/MMs, or even early pools if I can get some overlap going. I am under the impression the store will be the busiest earlier in the afternoon, meaning we'll have a lot more space once we get closer to singles.

I'm speculating a bit at this point, but I plan to discuss this in more detail next Tuesday, when the aformentioned employee is in (he needs to discuss this with other people at the store as well). He told me that the worst-case scenario would be that we would have to postpone the event by a few hours, starting at 3-4 o'clock. If this is the case, I will simply make up for it by being a punctuality nazi and committing to elimination pools into a 16 or 24 man bracket regardless of attendance. I've seen the store stay open past midnight before when events have run late, so the threat that we'd have to cut the event off before we finish appears to be negligable in my eyes as long as I don't do a horrible job of running everything.

This might not be ideal, but the venue does have a lot of space and hosts multiple events at the same time very often. At our last monthly, they had 3 additional events going on, and none of them impacted the space we had access to in a meaningful way (though it was pretty loud at times, lol). At this point, I'm confident that the venue will pull through for us and the quality of the tournament will still be great, even if it might be a little tricker for me to coordinate. If I get the sense that it won't work out, I'll book a room at SFU campus for the event as a back-up plan. (we have a month in a half left, so there's still plenty of time)

On the plus side, I took another count of the TVs at Stronghold. Some of them require RF switches, but there are a total of 15 CRTs sitting around. :smirk:

:005:

Asa

Smash Hero
if the attendance is as good as i'm hoping, i wouldn't mind starting a bit later if it meant having more space

Arcansi

Smash Champion
i don't see why not since they're at the same time..
Well, if the timing of me in bracket + me playing Magic Collide...

Also, is the venue big enough that I won't be able to see/be notified of a large as heck crowd at the Magic area?

If not, I'll atleast be able to know when new rounds start.

Jake, if you could get like, an overviews of what their doing that'd be cool.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You can't miss them. We'll be playing at the same room as the Magic people. All you need to do is look backwards.

There's also quite a collection of Magic and Pokemon cards for sale. As far as I know, they also buy back cards and do trades?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Well, if the timing of me in bracket + me playing Magic Collide...

Also, is the venue big enough that I won't be able to see/be notified of a large as heck crowd at the Magic area?

If not, I'll atleast be able to know when new rounds start.

Jake, if you could get like, an overviews of what their doing that'd be cool.
[collapse=From their website]Avacyn Restored Pre-Release *Saturday, April 28th & Sunday, April 29th, 2012*

Ignite the Dawn with us!

Format: Sealed Deck (Players receive 6 Avacyn Restored Booster Packs plus a promotional Moonsilver Spear)

Flight Times: Friday, April 27th @ Midnight, Saturday, April 28th @ 12.00PM Noon & 5.00PM, Sunday, April 29th @ 12.00PM Noon & 5.00PM

Entry Fee: $30

Prize Structure: Based on Attendance (2 packs of Avacyn Restored per player and 1 bonus to be given out on release date. Total 3 per player.)

Open Dueling: $15

Play five other limited players (ie. Other open duelers, sealed deck players, etc.) and receive a free booster pack and a promotional Moonsilver Spear![/collapse]
As long as you don't disappear randomly and I know where you are, it should be manageable for you to enter both.

Asa

Smash Hero
afaik pre-release events don't have a brakcet. you just get the cards and then do w/e

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Late as hell reply.

@Dakota
We didn't play last time because Rob, myself, and Landon, have all played each other a million times before and we knew we'd be playing all day the next day, so it didn't interest us to make ourselves sick of it the night before.
But we hardly get to face AB, so we'll likely be playing them a lot the night before.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
afaik pre-release events don't have a brakcet. you just get the cards and then do w/e
no, they do 6 pack sealed and usually 5-6 rounds of swiss for prerelease, so you wouldn't be able to join both without holding up the brawl tournament or getting some match losses in the magic prerelease; although you can do open dueling and that doesn't have a bracket in case you really need your avacyn restored fix, or just join the prerelease and drop if all you want is the cards and the promo

EDIT: ALTHOUGH, if the brawl tourney ends up starting late or if you just don't join doubles, you could probably finish most/all of the prerelease event

EDIT EDIT: oh nevermind, just noticed it starts at noon, so yeah good luck doing that then. you could join the midnight prerelease and just hang out at the venue until the tourney though hahaha

Asa

Smash Hero
change "IrisZ's brother" to "Scorch" plz kthx

also i'm gonna see if norcal like come

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Good news to the people that decide to stay at my house.

I've acquired a new sleeping surface =D

Toony

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to try to attend this with a friend, need housing though if anyone can.

A carpool would be sweet or I'm
bussing down.

:phone:

Last edited:

Asa

Smash Hero
i think we'll put you with Breez, Crazy

no carpools from that area tho

Toony

Smash Journeyman
k cool

any near here like kelowna or Merritt or something?

Arcansi

Smash Champion
no, they do 6 pack sealed and usually 5-6 rounds of swiss for prerelease, so you wouldn't be able to join both without holding up the brawl tournament or getting some match losses in the magic prerelease; although you can do open dueling and that doesn't have a bracket in case you really need your avacyn restored fix, or just join the prerelease and drop if all you want is the cards and the promo

EDIT: ALTHOUGH, if the brawl tourney ends up starting late or if you just don't join doubles, you could probably finish most/all of the prerelease event

EDIT EDIT: oh nevermind, just noticed it starts at noon, so yeah good luck doing that then. you could join the midnight prerelease and just hang out at the venue until the tourney though hahaha
1. How does the midnight prerelease work?

2. I was thinking if I could get my Brawl matches to work on an indefinite hold system (DW jake, there's a time limit for Magic matches) I should be able to go back and forth...I hope.)

As long as you don't disappear randomly and I know where you are, it should be manageable for you to enter both.

There might be some wait time on my tournament matches. Would this be OK?

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
k cool

any near here like kelowna or Merritt or something?

There's dudes in Kelowna, but as far as I know, we all play melee. Was just trying to ask if anyone was in the area for a smashfest tuesday. Mostly melee, but a brawl setup is no problem if that's your slice of pineapple.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
1. How does the midnight prerelease work?

2. I was thinking if I could get my Brawl matches to work on an indefinite hold system (DW jake, there's a time limit for Magic matches) I should be able to go back and forth...I hope.)

There might be some wait time on my tournament matches. Would this be OK?
same way as a regular prerelease except they start it at midnight, so you'd be done at like 5am

also you really can't, magic matches take a while <_< time limit on a round is 50 mins, you can't expect anybody to wait that long for you (even if you're a fast player you might be paired up against a slow player) and you also can't expect your magic opponent to wait 20 mins for you to play a brawl set

worst case scenario if you're the slowest player in the prerelease, you will virtually have no time in between rounds since the new round always starts as soon as everyone is done the current round

Arcansi

Smash Champion
just get the prerelease cards then **** breez arcansi :awesome:
Breez barely plays, but I wish. I don't play casually just because my drive would lead me to purchasing things like Splinter Twin (a two card combo off, once I place the second card down, if you don't have an answer to it that I can't deal with, you lose. It can also come out fourth turn) and just winning, and then noone playing with me.

same way as a regular prerelease except they start it at midnight, so you'd be done at like 5am
Eh, I might do that.

also you really can't, magic matches take a while <_< time limit on a round is 50 mins, you can't expect anybody to wait that long for you (even if you're a fast player you might be paired up against a slow player) and you also can't expect your magic opponent to wait 20 mins for you to play a brawl set
I'm a pretty fast player, so my matches usually get done quickly. I have been to a prerelease before and got paired with slow players (SO BORING) but I won't have many matches go past 25 mins I don't think. I think it would be doable.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
I'm a pretty fast player, so my matches usually get done quickly. I have been to a prerelease before and got paired with slow players (SO BORING) but I won't have many matches go past 25 mins I don't think. I think it would be doable.
so you say, but you really can't guarantee that <_< i'm not a slow player but my matches will go to time even against other players that aren't slow if one or both of us ended up building slow decks; the only type of player that never goes to time is one that consistently scoops whenever a match looks like it might take a while, even if they would end up winning it

...or a rdw player that never gets paired against turbofog, lol

also, splinter twin is no longer a deck in standard, only in modern, in which case there's pleeenty of answers even though it's still a good deck

Arcansi

Smash Champion
so you say, but you really can't guarantee that <_< i'm not a slow player but my matches will go to time even against other players that aren't slow if one or both of us ended up building slow decks; the only type of player that never goes to time is one that consistently scoops whenever a match looks like it might take a while, even if they would end up winning it

...or a rdw player that never gets paired against turbofog, lol

also, splinter twin is no longer a deck in standard, only in modern, in which case there's pleeenty of answers even though it's still a good deck
Please note: CASUAL play, dude.

Also, it's sealed so matches don't take as long, you know? I mean, I'm not going to see rdw or turbofog in sealed.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Please note: CASUAL play, dude.

Also, it's sealed so matches don't take as long, you know? I mean, I'm not going to see rdw or turbofog in sealed.
lol, splinter twin is not casual unless you've built your deck entirely wrong or tried to build it before deceiver exarch was in the format (whoo fatestitcher + soul's attendant)

also, sealed takes just as long as anything else <_< if you've never had sealed matches that have gone to time you're either a lucky ******* with ridiculous pools or you've been playing against some pretty unimpressive opponents

Arcansi

Smash Champion
lol, splinter twin is not casual unless you've built your deck entirely wrong or tried to build it before deceiver exarch was in the format (whoo fatestitcher + soul's attendant)

also, sealed takes just as long as anything else <_< if you've never had sealed matches that have gone to time you're either a lucky ******* with ridiculous pools or you've been playing against some pretty unimpressive opponents
I've been to one sealed tournament, and had one game go to time.

And even then it was because my opponent was slow, not the decks. Not that I can rely on people not being slow, ofc.

Also, anything is casual. You need to go back and re-read what I said, because I don't think you did.

EDIT: Sealed tends to take less because the choices are less (less cards in format) there are very few counter/draw-go decks that'll stall things, so most stalls come from boardlocks, which don't happen too often.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
I've been to one sealed tournament, and had one game go to time.

And even then it was because my opponent was slow, not the decks. Not that I can rely on people not being slow, ofc.

Also, anything is casual. You need to go back and re-read what I said, because I don't think you did.

EDIT: Sealed tends to take less because the choices are less (less cards in format) there are very few counter/draw-go decks that'll stall things, so most stalls come from boardlocks, which don't happen too often.
i'm not sure you understand my point. splinter twin is wayyy too powerful to be casual. which means that you've either built a competitive deck to play in casual matches, or you've built a bad version of a competitive deck that occasionally will get to go "oops i win". either way, not a very good deck for playing casually.

also, i disagree with there being less choices in sealed. in sealed you have no clue what is in your opponent's deck, and have to consider the possibility of ANY card being in your opponent's hand. in constructed it's easy to say "well he left two mana open with a delver on the field, he's probably leaving it open for a mana leak" because unless they're playing some rogue deck you should know most of their decklist. in particular, there's a lot of choices in innistrad/dark ascension limited, which is one of the reasons i love the format so much. morbid makes bluffs interesting, and there's a lot of random cards that people don't often play but you can get absolutely destroyed by if you see it coming (see: frightful delusion). can't say anything about avacyn restored yet because the spoilers aren't out yet, but if it's anything like innistrad/dark ascension then the limited format will be smart and well-balanced.

also also, there's generally no control decks in sealed but that doesn't mean there's no slow decks. it was quite possible in innistrad/dark ascension sealed to build a good slow deck that just relied on removal, defensive creatures, and a bomb or two. in fact, the best sealed pools i had for dark ascension were incredibly slow, to the point where i actually got to play archangel's light post-sb vs another slow deck (and won with it, lol)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero

its got a phoenix on it now .-.
This is actually godly. I believe I have to keep the Impulse logo at the top of the OP...but I'll find a use for this.

Edit: First use; my new desktop background. Not particularly useful, but it's a good start. =P

Editedit: This actually encouraged me to clean up my desktop. ._.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Yeah, Impulse banner is needed.

I was thinking it could just be like, the standard logo you use for every phoenix tournament or something.
Change the number everytime? idk

also you could just slap it on some flyers =D

Arcansi

Smash Champion
i'm not sure you understand my point. splinter twin is wayyy too powerful to be casual. which means that you've either built a competitive deck to play in casual matches, or you've built a bad version of a competitive deck that occasionally will get to go "oops i win". either way, not a very good deck for playing casually.
Hence why I don't play casual, bundt. Did you even read it?

also, i disagree with there being less choices in sealed. in sealed you have no clue what is in your opponent's deck, and have to consider the possibility of ANY card being in your opponent's hand. in constructed it's easy to say "well he left two mana open with a delver on the field, he's probably leaving it open for a mana leak" because unless they're playing some rogue deck you should know most of their decklist. in particular, there's a lot of choices in innistrad/dark ascension limited, which is one of the reasons i love the format so much. morbid makes bluffs interesting, and there's a lot of random cards that people don't often play but you can get absolutely destroyed by if you see it coming (see: frightful delusion). can't say anything about avacyn restored yet because the spoilers aren't out yet, but if it's anything like innistrad/dark ascension then the limited format will be smart and well-balanced.
Less choices because of less cards. You do have much less of a chance to know your opponents decks, yeah.

Overall I think this evens out. I have a higher chance of knowing what he has in his hand, but if I'm not careful he will surprise me.

also also, there's generally no control decks in sealed but that doesn't mean there's no slow decks. it was quite possible in innistrad/dark ascension sealed to build a good slow deck that just relied on removal, defensive creatures, and a bomb or two. in fact, the best sealed pools i had for dark ascension were incredibly slow, to the point where i actually got to play archangel's light post-sb vs another slow deck (and won with it, lol)
I've never seen one, but eh, it's probably possible.

Overall, sealed does seem to go faster then FNM format on average, though.

Top Bottom