• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Hits Tournament Southampton : 10th-11th April Inertia's not Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree with Robby and have thought this for a while. There is too much hating in this community that goes beyond trashtalk. In the last 8 months the community has seriously dampened what enthusiasm I had left for this game, but I think we could all be more encouraging and positive towards not just new players but the stragglers and not be calling them the joke of the community or laugh at results etc. It'll be better for everyone, digging at peoples confidence stops being funny when you leave school :).

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
well the hating is started from people like prof dissing everyone LOL

I personally don't want to dig at people, I'm encouraging improvement seriously :/ I wouldn't even host events if i didnt care about the community. Travelling around too not just for tournaments

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Before he went to Germany Charles said to me that Edwin is better than m2k.
looool Charles always chats crap like that.
He is so amazed with Edwin and said he is the best marth in Europe and he is better then mew2king as you just said.
I dunno how he is the best marth in Europe though without playing anyone outside of London, but Fuzzyness said it so Fuzzyness is right.

well the hating is started from people like prof dissing everyone LOL
I don't insult everyone I just insult a few people. But for saying that I will insult you by calling you a Eff A Gee.

. In the last 8 months the community has seriously dampened what enthusiasm I had left for this game
What part of the community has dampened your enthusiasm. If it is Londoners I dunno why we have cos everything we do is usually in our threads so it shouldn't effect what you and your Scottish people do.

Oh yeah thanks for the comments about my fox VA. I know my fox is pretty sick but you didn't need to say it cos I just look at myself all the time and see it. Your fox is really good too.

craiigg

Smash Lord
when he says community he means it as a whole, all you londoners think it's always directed at you
and besides, this thread isn't to do with london, but you're all still here aren't you?

he's right anyway, the scene before was so much better than it is now. tournaments would happen without all the IM BETTER THAN YOU ****.
tournaments died down, and people began to not care anymore.
alot of europeans bash US or Canadians whenever they come in and offer advice, when we should all be learning from them anyway

UK has a tight sense of hostility about itself, where it doesn't accept much outside it's borders..
So-Cal/Nor-Cal smash scene is still going strong, because their scene is ****ing amazing.
They all put effort into events and they're regular. They don't single each region out either, it's not about London or Scotland or North or South...

ITS ABOUT UK.

VA has it right also, i'm bored of all the hate in these threads it's all just ego's and **** stirring
how about UK man's up as a whole and actually strives to represent itself within the smash scene?
If your goal is to be better than that one person above you.. you're only going to get that far.

We gotta get each other better, i wanna see the standard of UK smash like it is in USA or Netherlands
The standard over there is so high, people in UK are too clouded by their ego to realise how far behind we actually are.

We HAVE to get a steady run of tournaments going, imagine that hype you get after a tourny to get better REGULARLY.
That is why the top players are as good as they are. They were/are constantly playing and getting ready for the next event

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
when he says community he means it as a whole, all you londoners think it's always directed at you
and besides, this thread isn't to do with london, but you're all still here aren't you?

he's right anyway, the scene before was so much better than it is now. tournaments would happen without all the IM BETTER THAN YOU ****.
tournaments died down, and people began to not care anymore.
alot of europeans bash US or Canadians whenever they come in and offer advice, when we should all be learning from them anyway

UK has a tight sense of hostility about itself, where it doesn't accept much outside it's borders..
So-Cal/Nor-Cal smash scene is still going strong, because their scene is ****ing amazing.
They all put effort into events and they're regular. They don't single each region out either, it's not about London or Scotland or North or South...

ITS ABOUT UK.

VA has it right also, i'm bored of all the hate in these threads it's all just ego's and **** stirring
how about UK man's up as a whole and actually strives to represent itself within the smash scene?
If your goal is to be better than that one person above you.. you're only going to get that far.

We gotta get each other better, i wanna see the standard of UK smash like it is in USA or Netherlands
The standard over there is so high, people in UK are too clouded by their ego to realise how far behind we actually are.

We HAVE to get a steady run of tournaments going, imagine that hype you get after a tourny to get better REGULARLY.
That is why the top players are as good as they are. They were/are constantly playing and getting ready for the next event

Nice post Craiigg. I agree with most of it, not all of it but most of it.
I am glad I am one of the innocent ones that haven't contributed to the drama.

This is my 4000th post so I just wanna say I am going to **** and place first at the ranbat.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Cheers V.A. and I agree with the negativity thing you're (and Zeppo) talking about. I think that sort of thing occasionally is fine but too much of it isn't great. I agree with what Craiigg said as well, the resional stuff is unneccesary cos as far as I'm concerned- The Scotts, well we all know they're a great bunch of guys. Londoners- yeah they do kinda trashtalk a lot but they're all rly nice guys and without them our scence would be a LOT less active and fun.

My thoughts on the ranking thing- I think the main point is it's still pretty predictable and nothing much changes which is one of the things annoys me about smash in the UK :ohwell:

L-J

Smash Ace
Agreed 100%. A little less trash-talk/ego and a little more support/encouragement (both on the boards and at tourneys) would go a long way. Hopefully I am coming to this Ranbat it looks like it's gonna be a good one.

Bullet Bill, I'm guessing Gary has the vids from PH on his comp or something, if that's the case then d'u know if they're ever gonna get put up? (I mean, does he even have an account on here for example?)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
My thoughts on the ranking thing- I think the main point is it's still pretty predictable and nothing much changes which is one of the things annoys me about smash in the UK :ohwell:
loool Well it's not our faults if the results in the tournaments are pretty obvious. If anything that should be a sign for other people to step up and start training harder.
I am the most active person in the London when it comes to playing other people in London to help them out to get better and I am always asking people if they want me to help them get better.

voilentjack

Smash Journeyman
lol

so is everyone deciding that this community would be better without the trash talk

maybe some people see it as trash talk and some people see it as constructive criticism

when ;

Fuzzy was talking to VA about you wont win with marth

maybe it was not meant to be a flame

just saying : UK is a good community

xD

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I'm not deciding that lol. But it's pretty clear they don't mean stop trashtalking all together and they just mean no egos and don't take things to far which is something already incoroparated into my behaviour.

voilentjack

Smash Journeyman
VA thought it was , thats what started that argument between those two

lots of people are probably like that

maybe if people wanted the community to change more they would take it upon themselves to improve

their game

heck london did that

TBH players should be more better as lots of UK players have been playing enough to know what do and when /how to improve

someone compared UK to Norcal

well 1. there scene has been going on more than UKs so its more stable

they play for more amounts of money so more skill

im sure they trash talk as well

but if people keep blaming others for how things are we are never going to get stable

like i said before look at how peoples egos develop

Kone

Smash Master
what happened to the UK smash scene?

Ive read the last few pages of this thread and wanted to comment, in particular, as a response to craiiggs post. These are just ramblings and thoughts ive had regarding why the scene in the UK is currently weak.

(the points may not agree with each other lol)

- the UK scene seems to consistantly go through a good period and a poor period. I believe we are in the latter. Theres been notiable lulls over the period of the UK smash scene and they normally fall after successful tournaments e.g. GGT2. If this is true we need to understand why this happens and prevent it happening again.

- I don't agree that the UK as a community trash talk excessively to a detrimental affect. In fact I would be inclined to favour the notion that there aren't enough rivalries that sustain good online debate and create exciting tournament matchups.

-Instead there is far too little interesting conversation that appears on this board. The multi-page ramblings between retro/VA/Pro are such an eyesore and put off to posting, especially to the casual reader.

-Charles monopoly over tournament post-Doug is outstanding. However, it has stifled tournaments....

-There are a lack of enjoyable online members that post regularly/enough.

-Those that post often on the boards are quiet at tournaments.

-Too many golden oldies. The likes of myself, jam, ryan post infrequently/in spurts of interest then disappear. Why?

- Aging of the community and far too few new faces becoming involved as much?

-Lack of new members joining?

- Lack of regular tournaments.

-Lack of hosts.

-Severe lack of people being prepared to travel. I used to thumb the blame for our poor scene completely on the lack of hosters. However, southamptons turnout contradicts this. Suddenely we are faced with a problem in getting people to travel.

-The UK tournament scene has become isolated. In the first 3 years UK tournaments were frequented by foreign players. This has included the likes of mrsilver, ek, yuna, helios, comp, goat, dave squad and many others. In the last few years this practice has died out. As such I think this has made Brits less prepared to travel abroad as well as prevented our community testing itself and thus improving itself by enticing foreign players to our tournaments. Personally my own tournaments did not help in this respect as I stopped pursuing foreigh players to come to UK tournaments after the Comp hassle.

- Brawls influence?!

-Too few players in regions outside London. Scene has become increaingly more centralised. Allowing London to improve at a greater speed. Rest of the UK left to plod on.

There are probably a multitude of other reasons that could be pinpointed.

Im not shifting the blame onto certain people. We're all to blame.

x

-

craiigg

Smash Lord
i love you ed, you managed to say some of what i wanted but couldn't really say without overly waffling =)

p.s im sorry if my post seemed like of a bash at the UK scene, it wasn't meant in that way
more of a way to boost some morale into building our scene back up, but i lack talent in motivational speaking haha

should we take this to the UK thread to toss some ideas around for possibilities/new ideas?

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
no, I say Southampton should do it cause their venue is awesome and has more space >>

also southampton was good times, was prob one of the most relaxed tournies ive ever been to

Aiko

Smash Champion
but location wise, southampton is terrible for everyone outside of london or for those south of southampton.

J03

Smash Master
no, I say Southampton should do it cause their venue is awesome and has more space >>

also southampton was good times, was prob one of the most relaxed tournies ive ever been to
that could be because no one was there maybe?

i agree that GGT does not have enough space for a 30+ turnout but would 30+ come?

also there must be other venues in the area.

Im adamant that the next tourney not be held in a corner of the UK but somewhere where most people have to travel only a few hours to get to it, so a location such as birmingham is pretty ideal.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Yeah GGTs venue was pretty bad. I think if Southampton was guaranteed a bunch of Londoners say like 10-15 then they should host again, but I don't think they are so Im not sure.

Pro:- not solely blaming London no.

and I wasn't referring to UK's attitude as a reason why our scene wasn't big lol, just why I and a good few others(maybe about 6 or 7?) have lost interest, and I still think its stupid. Edwin I am not going to take responsibility for the scene just because I've observed something ROFL.

Coincidentally Scotland has been getting a decent influx of new players who are willing to travel and to play, just the core community here is barely interested. I'll play them but I cant use my house so its quite the effort.

L-J

Smash Ace
In terms of location in the UK Birmingham is pretty much ideal BUT I really really think we need a different venue. Last time at GG it was beyond 'too small' and into 'I'm suffocating gah *suffocates*' territory. I'm sure there must be something somewhere that'd be suitable. Personally I agree with Fuzzy that Southampton is a great venue that deserves future tourneys with much bigger turnouts but travel-wise it is pretty far from lots of places whereas Birmingham is very central so...I'd be happy with either. But yeah, we need more tournaments and people need to be willing to travel to them - can't get around that.

Kone

Smash Master
I dont think southampton should be scratched of for the distance factor. Its easy for londoners to get to (incl.craigg + robby) which pretty much makes up half our community. For the NW its as easy to get to as it is for the londoners to travel to anyone of my tournies if not easier :/

The ony issue is for myself lol and the scots but its about pulling your finger out but treating it like a tnj but with actually a decent turnout, venue and housing lol.

GGT venue shouldnt be used again. If southampton has housing then its hands down better. H/e brum is the ideal location travelwise for everyone.

Other than that i think southampton has suffered 3 major issues 1. positioned near smack which caused issues 2. just happened to suffer from the current swf lull, players like me, z, jam,ryan lost our interest somewhat. I cant speak for others, and i recently posted reasons as to why i think were having issues, but my interest also goes through highs and lows.

and reason 3. i think southampton was advertised poorly :/ lack of posting on the topic by tourney organisers didnt help. In general when i run a tourney Im always talking to poeple on msn/swf to attempt them to make the trip. This is key if your hosting in a remote place.

If southampton did host again advertise and keep interest up. Make entice some foreigners cos i think we need that again ^_^

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
but location wise, southampton is terrible for everyone outside of london or for those south of southampton.
Free venue though. And considering the proportion of the turnout that is from London and the South Southamton isn't bad at all. Northeners need to man up and travel imo.

methinks people are getting too melodramatic and overthinking the whole UK smash thing. Theres nothing wrong with anything as far as I can tell apart from Phantom hits when so many people flaked/didn't bother.

Ed- there are actually a lot of new players and ones that are good and want to get better as well. RE above post- agreed

I say again man up northeners. It's bad form to only come to tournaments that are nearby. Phantom hits had a great venue which was free, loads of space and loads of housing all of which we generously provided but you all couldn]'t be bothered to even come. Joe stfu, you weren't even here so you have no opinion lol.

LOL Southampton is not a remote place

Tamoo

Smash Master
Also ill add that the TV supply was brilliant,
in fact, i think there were more tvs than actual set ups as there was one tv just doing nothing lol,
another soton tournament would be ideal for the majority of the UK community, and the lack of entry fee and free housing makes up somewhat for the need for some to travel further.

Also, any news on vids... anyone?

Aiko

Smash Champion
so does Southampton want to give it another shot? I think with 2-3 months notice, it would really get people fired up to go.

Advertise it alot more, really get it organised. Given enough notice, any method of travel can be bought for cheap, combined with free venue + housing would make it very cost efficient.

Organisation is key. If you have it all sorted out and planned, nothing left to last minute, it will attract more players. From what Ben has told me, he wasn't organised enough, even with the small turnout.

oooh and a nice banner would help too :) if you can make it as good as your saints banner, then would definitely pique interest

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
so does Southampton want to give it another shot? I think with 2-3 months notice, it would really get people fired up to go.

Advertise it alot more, really get it organised. Given enough notice, any method of travel can be bought for cheap, combined with free venue + housing would make it very cost efficient.

Organisation is key. If you have it all sorted out and planned, nothing left to last minute, it will attract more players. From what Ben has told me, he wasn't organised enough, even with the small turnout.

oooh and a nice banner would help too :) if you can make it as good as your saints banner, then would definitely pique interest
what? 'From what Ben has told me, he wasn't organised enough' Were you there? I seem to remember telling you the tournament was a success? Where did this come from?

Yeah def plenty of advertising but its down to people to travel

Aiko

Smash Champion
you told me over the phone: "knowing you, you weren't as organised as you wouldve liked to be."

no need to take it as a personal attack.

monty06

Smash Ace
southampton should give it another go they got alot of gd points going for them and only a couplt to improve, with the write organisation etc the turnout could be good. ben least u got a tournament organiser this time lol

craiigg

Smash Lord
Personally I think Southampton wasn't taken seriously by alot of players.. given that the thread wasn't really that active, was a bit slow on updates, SMACK was close.. a number of reasons
Not pointing fingers here at all, alot of people didn't bother for various reasons including me..

Like Ant said, with more "advertising" even if it means bugging peeps on msn or whatever as well as about 3 months notice you should be sure to get a fair few attendees.. I'll should be fine to come for the record :p
Preferably around July/Aug. HOWEVER do not do it over the Reading/Leeds fest weekends xD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom