• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Hits Tournament Southampton : 10th-11th April Inertia's not Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Phantom Hits Tournament Southampton

The Saints; BulletBill, Dacacia, Pickled_N0ob and myself of course would like to present the first ever Southampton based tournament; Phantom Hits. This will be a melee only tournament, though depending on setup and time constraints we may be able to have some brawl going. This is the final confirmed tournament so get booking and get the hype started ;) A lot of things have changed and I'll be adding more stuff as fast as I can.

Dates, Time and Location
The tournament is going to be on Saturday 11th April and will be hosted at the Highfield Campus of Southampton University Building 2 Room 1039 Lecture Room L. As of yet I've gotta talk to the building staff and find out how we get in during holidays so maps to the place will go up later (although most people will be with their hosts from the night before so can be guided there). We have the room from 10:00 a.m. for 12 hours so people are advised to arrive on the Friday so we can start early. We will have housing for people on Friday which is discussed further down.

Southampton by Train: Southampton has good rail links with London and other places. The best way to get to us is to take the train to Southampton Central. Once there get one of the Unilink buses, these serve all the areas you'll need to go during the tournament and are very efficient and pretty frequent even in the holidays. The U1A and U1E go directly from Southampton Central up to the university stop the Highfield Interchange (ask the driver which one it is). Once there your right in the middle of the university and with access to buses to various peoples houses.

Southampton by Car: From the M3 exit at junction 14, following signs for Southampton (A33). Follow the A33 into Bassett Avenue. Once your on Bassett avenue you can go to where you're being housed using the maps below with our addresses.
From the M27 (West or East) turn off at junction 5 or 4 and follow signs to the university and then use the maps below.

Just a word of caution to those driving down. On a Friday night during the rush hour the M3 will be gridlocked coming into Southampton making your journey that much longer/more annoying. I'd recommend avoiding this time if possible.

Southampton by Bus: I'm sure a lot of people will be taking this option and take the National Express or Megabuses. The stop you need will be named the Highfield Interchange or University Interchange (will be labeled something like that) from there you can get one of the Unilink buses and take that to your host's house.

Map with houses and Tournament Location

Map of Bus, Train Station and Highfield Interchange

Unilink Bus Timetable

For anyone who gets really lost or needs help on the day phone me on 07732947152 (feel free to prank call me right now in fact ;)).

Housing
The all important topic a lot of people have been asking about. We should have enough space to house everyone who wants to come and more importantly there will be housing for Friday and Saturday. The majority of people will be housed by myself, Dacacia and Pickled_No0b with a few people housed by BulletBill. Apart from Ben I believe everyone has a reasonable amount of room. We're quite happy to house people together who want to be housed together but at the end of the day not everyone can go in on place and some people may not stay with who they want. At the end of the day I'll be putting up a list of whos where based on what you guys want and how much space we have in each place.

Please be considerate towards your host. These are student properties and thus not only our houses so treat them with respect. This will also mean no drugs (obviously) alchohol will only be ok if the host allows it (can't see anyone not allowing it really) and smoke where the host asks you to smoke.

The Tournament Schedule
The tournament is going to be melee with doubles and singles being run for the prices below. We will be running doubles first and singles second. We have the venue from 10 till 10 so plenty of time to complete both and have a bunch of friendlies/crews too. Below are the prices for both tournaments :

£5 for the individual event.
£5 per player (or £10 a team).

The pot will be split 60:30:10.

Assuming most people will be down the night before I'll start the tournament as fast as possible so as to leave more time for friendlies. The venue is open from 10am so hopefully we can get signups started as soon as people arrive and then start doubles at 11am (no later than 11:30am). Once doubles is complete we will take a break and start singles signups after that.

If you have any questions direct them to your tournament hosts and we'll answer as best we can.

The Tournament will be split into 2 stages. Pools then a Double Elimination Bracket.

Pools

Pools will be the first stage, these are round robins to decide who plays the main tournament in the double elimination bracket.

• All the players will be divided into seperate groups, group numbers will depend on number of entrants of course.
  • There will be a seeding system for the groups.
  • Each player has a set with each other player. Sets are best of 3, or first to 2.
  • The top players in each group will progress or qualify for the Double Elimination Bracket.
  • If there is a Tie, a Tiebreaker game will be played. It doesn't matter if one person beat the other in their pool game.

Double Elimination Brackets Format

Double elimination brackets are similar to a standard knockout tournament. The difference is there are two brackets, a winners and losers. Everybody will start in the winners bracket but when they lose instead of being knocked out they move to the losers bracket. This essentially means everybody has 2 lives and gives a fairer result.

• The players who win the most matches in their groups will be spread away from each other.
  • Matches will be best out of 3, or first to 2. The Losers, Winners and Grand finals will all be best of 5, or first to 3.
  • Just remember even if you lose the first match you can still get to the finals, you'll just have to play more matches on the way.

Tournament Ruleset

• You are expected to bring your own controller, if your gamecube pad breaks in the middle of your match and you dont have a spare, then you will forfeit the match. This happened before so be careful especially if your controller is a minor electrical hazard already (Dacacia!!).

• For this I have decided to use a slightly extended time limit version of the mages DQ set. This means that after :

1. 3 minutes you will lose a stock.
    2. 6 minutes you will lose the first game.
    3. 9 minutes you will lose the set.

I'm sure this is very unlikely to happen but if you want to leave during the tournament your best bet is to talk to one of us during and see whats going on so you don't miss out. If this does happen, your opponent doesn't show up, we will start the timer so come and inform us. If you've timed it yourself this will not be acceptable.

• You forfeit the match if you press the Start button. This option can be turned off so there should be no problems with this.

• Winners must report the result to the tournament directors (myself and BulletBill). Please try and report them as fast as possible to ensure your not the reason why the tournament grinds to a halt.

• Listen to what the tournament operators say at all times. We will have numbered setups so this in theory should be simple.

• Friendlies and Money Matches may only be played once the tournament directors say so. If you play during tournament time you hold everyone up and may be penalised for it.

General Smash Rules

• First character picking will be done in a method called BLIND PICKING. You basically write your character on a piece of paper (or phone) and hide it till your opponent is done then REVEAL. Then pick the character that you wrote. This rule is in place to stop people from waiting for the opponent to pick just to counter.
  • First Stage is ALWAYS random. Then advanced slob picking. The person who loses may choose to pick another stage. Then the winner picks a character then the loser picks his character. This also means that blind picking is for the first match only.
  • Items are off.
  • No characters are banned whatsoever.
  • Daves Stupid Rule. You cant CHOOSE a stage you have already won on, this includes all stages. This prevents a match that looks like, Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland.

Stage Selection
At this tournament I've decided to introduce stage striking as the method to select the first stage. Stage striking is only used to decide who wins the first game from then on standard counterpicks will be used. For the 2nd game the loser chooses a stage, the winner then chooses a character and finally the loser chooses his character.

Stage striking works by taking off a stage each from a list of five neutrals until there is only one left. This should hopefully result in the match being played on the most neutral stage for the character matchup. The order of striking goes like this 1 2 2 1 so player one picks first and last (it doesn't matter who is player one) and player two makes his choices in between player one's.

Stage Strike Random Stages : Singles
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

These are the five stages that will be used during the stage striking.

Counterpicks : Singles
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Rainbow Ride
Kongo Jungle 64
Mute City
Poke Floats
Corneria
Brinstar

Any of these stages can be used as counterpicks for games 2 and 3 (or in the case of finals 4 and 5 as well).

The doubles stagelist is very similar to the singles with a couple of changes. Stage striking will apply to doubles as well.

Stage Strike Random Stages : Doubles
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

These are the five stages that will be used during the stage striking.

Counterpicks : Doubles
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Rainbow Ride
Kongo Jungle 64
Poke Floats
Corneria
Brinstar

Interested
Basically people have posted in this thread. Not suite sure why I've made this really, maybe FTB :confused:

Tamoo and Crew (Hugo, Clockmire and ?)
Fuzzy
Professor Pro
VA
Swizzy
Kone
Zeppo
JO3
Coey
AmcD
BrTarolg

Confirmed
Inertia
BulletBill
Aiko

Current Setups and TVs
Inertia - 2 TVs 2 setups
Dacacia - 1 TV 1 setup
Pickled_No0b - 1 setup
BulletBill - 1 TV 2 setups

Current Totals: TVs 4, Setups 6.

If anyone can bring any TVs I will pay you £3 per TV you bring up to the limit we'll need. I will also run this for setups as well, a setups will get you £1 (by a setup I mean a Wii or cube with melee). This will be done on a first come first served basis and the cap will be 10 TVs and 10 setups, if there are going to be an overwhelming number of people I may ask for more but this seems unlikely.

So yeah get cracking; comments, questions and advice are all greatly appreciated and of course more importantly if you're interested post something to say so then we can confirm housing.

Anyone who would like to contact me feel free, I'm on MSN a fair bit on next_in_line@hotmail.co.uk

AmcD

Smash Ace
i hate you ant :( oj, yeah I'm interested. More details then I will let you know if I'm coming or not.

Kone

Smash Master
lol Z ive noticed meabus goes to southampton from london, leeds, manchester and brum which is handy for alot of people.

Ill be coming btw

Also, i may go stay at jams either side of the tournament. If any of sdb get to mine ill give them a lift down. Joe/will go to leeds and id get u from there etc

Or something like that lol

Ed

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for being such a good mod Aiko and not spamming our thread ;)

Zeppo : I'm here for a start. Southampton is a lot warmer than Scotland. We can go out the night before/after whatever suits people. There will be banter, and hence if you don't come not only will you miss out but so will we; on your amazing banter ofc. In summary it would be really cool if you Scots could come down as it was awesome playing you at GGT2.

King get your prioties straight. Our tourney is much more important than your dads birthday.

J03

Smash Master
Ed, its so close to our birthday man =/, im pretty pensive about it. if i come, ill happily go to leeds and do that shiz with jam and what not

Kone

Smash Master
Joe - Our bdays on the thursday. Ima just arrange to have drinks with people the weekend before and thurs night. I aint to arsed bout bdays either way to be honest. Also, im given the SDB scots first rights on the car seats then offering skalor a seat aswell. Its pretty cheap for u guys tog et on the megabus down to southampton ^_^. Just trying to maximise turnout :)

ac_anon

Smash Ace
i have a funny feeling thats the weekend before all my essays are due, its also a little before my birthday so money will be an issue, il try though.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Me and Pete are busy organising atm. Should be quite good though as we've got help from a gaming society at the university and we have inerts, Dacs and my house for housing

Pro- pretty likely

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, people are welcome to stay at my house- there'll be plenty of floor space and two uncomfortable sofas that people can sleep on. I may even tidy up the house a bit if people are gonna be staying here...

Also trains are pretty cheap if booked well in advance, and coaches do go basically everywhere. As for nightlife, there's always Jesters :p

Interesting edited sidenote: do we have to pay for the lecture theatre? Or can we hire it out for free? If there's anything that I can help with in organising let me know.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Its cool Duncan lecture theatre stuff is being done through CGSoc. At the moment I just need to speak to Luke about it and get it sorted.

Yes Jesters would be awesome. For you guys who don't know Jesters is the worst club in Europe, and is therefore amazing and has massive banter.

Kone

Smash Master
Id be up for jesters lol. In my experience trains are generally a no go lol. No matter how early there booked the distance people will travel for this (as in from the north) there never cheap enough. However, coaches always are.

www.megabus.com

www.nationalexpress.com - funfares for londoners or those wanting to connect through london

Ed

Hao

Smash Journeyman
From Birmingham to Southampton University (on coach) it was:
6hrs 50min
70 min wait (LONDON)

Lol.

Although my train to there takes 3 hours and is only £14.50 if I book now.

Kone

Smash Master
lol yup yup thats the problem with the coach takes ages. which one did u look at ? nationalexpress? and yeah your train wont be bad cos u aint north :)

edit - megabus = 14:00 Depart Birmingham, The Priory Queensway Stop PC
Arrive Southampton, Town Quay, High Street 18:25

1 seat = £5.00

So yeah just over four hours. Guessing you looked at nationalexpress ;)

Yeniths

East Midlands!
When you have all the details etc up, I will start booking.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Edwin Watson says:
hey
·$29Oo°·$4¤·´`· ¸ »¤ ·$39 Áä®öñ ·$4¤·´`· ¸ »¤·$29°oO ·$1™ says:
hi
Edwin Watson says:
u going to go to smash attack ?
no i cant leave the country
this is the dummest question known to man but are you going
dwin Watson says:
i dunno yet so .. maybe : D

Kone

Smash Master
Southampton - confirm this asap! Is housing offered fri night? ill have to drive down and itll take me 6+ hours. Dont want to do this on the day of the tournament U_U'.

lismore

Smash Cadet
Hmmm....this is the weekend i finish work, so I'm thinking HELL YES! Lol, i'll most likely be there from Brizzle with Mac D if it happens. Inertia and Dacacia u guys were both in my pool at GGT2 I think so will be fun to rematch u guys in friendlies at least, if not in the tourney proper. Inertia i WILL ban Mangoland this time even if there's no stage banning i'll still ban it LOL! Please confirm this is happening asap so we can book shiz. Also housing would be appreciated for the Saturday night at least for the two of us.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Whats the likeliness of this event happen cos I would really like to go to it.
Bullet Bill answered ur question by editing the post he made b4 urs

Hmmm....this is the weekend i finish work, so I'm thinking HELL YES! Lol, i'll most likely be there from Brizzle with Mac D if it happens. Inertia and Dacacia u guys were both in my pool at GGT2 I think so will be fun to rematch u guys in friendlies at least, if not in the tourney proper. Inertia i WILL ban Mangoland this time even if there's no stage banning i'll still ban it LOL! Please confirm this is happening asap so we can book shiz. Also housing would be appreciated for the Saturday night at least for the two of us.
Hey, r u lj? I remember Inertia in my pool but not Dacacia :ohwell:
If u were lj, id like to fight again, my rollout kill on mute city was too gay lol :p

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is definitely happening - I'm apparently supplying housing. If you could only see the state its in atm lol

And I wasn't in Inertia's pool at GGT2 :confused: Thinking of someone else?

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused :dizzy: I did nothing good on dreamland, or fountain of dreams which I also call dreamland. Just did some checking (of you're posts :)) and I now know you're LG. Dacacia wasn't in our pool though, the marth in our pool was Blinky. But yeah we had some awesome friendly doubles too, our double fox combo was beastin (people worse than us). It would be col if you could make it though.

Kone I want to book the room first and then confirm but my friend Luke hasn't been online today so I don't have access to book it yet. As soon as I do it will be confirmed and then loads of other stuff will go up. Also I know I can't speak for everyone but I'm definitey happy to house people friday so I'm sure everyone else will be.

Also whats your MSN Kone I can't find it. I thought you said you didn't have one either....I'm confused. Either way add me next_in_line@hotmail.co.uk

Edit: Contact details at the end of the first post as well.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I'm confused :dizzy: I did nothing good on dreamland, or fountain of dreams which I also call dreamland. Just did some checking (of you're posts :)) and I now know you're LG.
lol, mayb it was me who was gay on dreamland, jiggs is pretty **** gay there :)
Also, really hope this tournament works out, if it does, you guys can count on me being there and Ill try and bring my crew along too (Dave's gays)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I'm gonna spam a bit from now on to get to 3500 posts but i'm gonna hide the spam with a bit of talk on the subject.

Any idea of the choice of stages in this tournament, I suggest a similar layout to GGT2 except with the doubles first.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna talk to Ben but I'm pretty sure it'll be exactly the same stages as GGT2. This stagelist seems to work well imo. However if anyone has stages they think should be banned/put on please tell me.

People need to stop asking if this tournament will work out. It is 97% happening I just need the ability to book rooms before that becomes 100%, this will be done Wednesday at the latest.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
I average 6-7 phantom hits a session, its too sick. Lucky I don't play jiggs so don't phantom rests. Except once when I saw Ben's get up attack and rested him, for the banter obviously. Phantom toes are pretty gay.

Pro how old are you? Also I'll give you a rainbow ride only MM if you want ^^

Dacacia

Smash Journeyman
lol Let's sneak pro into Jesters - if solely for the banter. The door guys would probably let him in no probs, despite his degenerate height :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom