• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Dark: A Fox Combo/Tech Video

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
i think people mis-understand the difference between having techskill, and utilizing techskill.

This guy seems to have set a goal, to play and be known as technical as possible. With that, comes doing everything as flashy as possible, regardless of results. I guarantee IF NECESSARY, silent wolf and many, many others could do these things in matches if they were constantly having a mindset to play as fast and technical/flashy as possible, but most want to win as well, so they don't.

It makes sense, cause dark isn't going to place well at GEN2 if he tries to play like this at all. he'll get roughly 20th at best.

sure he may hurt some low tier mains that can't move during his waveshine combos, but i mean cmon, playing like a freak spazz can only get you so far till you realize how to play properly, and THEN utilize your abusive offensive aggression at the right times.

this guy just goes for anything as technical as possible hoping to combo string.

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love his techskill, and admire his dedication. i'm just throwing out there that playing like this is nothing beyond hard, it's just a matter of changing your perception from playing to win, to playing to be as fast/flashy as possible to the point where it's your normal style.
I find myself compelled to disagree. This is another level of talent where I must contest your claim that "This is nothing beyond hard". This level of execution is exceedingly difficult, previously thought to be impossible. That is the reason WHY this video is phenomenal. As inspiring as it is, very few, if any people will ever reach this level of execution. Dark no longer has to "hope to combo string". This video demonstrates that he WILL combo string you if he hits you.

That's not to say I think he's the best player, but as I said before, with the technical barriers behind him, if he chooses the path of improving his competitive decisions, he will be capable of great things.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I find myself compelled to disagree. This is another level of talent where I must contest your claim that "This is nothing beyond hard". This level of execution is exceedingly difficult, previously thought to be impossible. That is the reason WHY this video is phenomenal. As inspiring as it is, very few, if any people will ever reach this level of execution. Dark no longer has to "hope to combo string". This video demonstrates that he WILL combo string you if he hits you.

That's not to say I think he's the best player, but as I said before, with the technical barriers behind him, if he chooses the path of improving his competitive decisions, he will be capable of great things.
previously thought to be impossible? i mean maybe in 06 or farther back? what exactly is he doing that is thought to be impossible? waveshine combos?

i don't agree with you that many people can't reach that execution, i just don't think many people will bother, because most people are most interested in learning to get better or play smarter, rather than learn as much tech skill as possible.

it's just a style of play he's gained by constantly keeping a flashy mindset, i don't think you realize how many other people could play like this if it was their goal.

i do agree that currently having the techskill he has will help him properly utilize it all in the long run, but that's the long run, not now.

also i wonder how much different this video would be if his opponents would buffer shine :p

i think i may have worded "nothing beyond hard" wrong. it definitely takes skill, it's just not legendary skill.

Serphirs

Smash Rookie
All you people who want to see how well he does at Genesis are probably going to be disappointed.

Watch his match vids. Though he's extremely technical it also makes him very inefficient. He kinda plays with the flashy instead of play to win mentality. I don't think he'd get close to top 10 at Genesis.

That's not taking anything away from this vid though, amazing vid and his tech skill is unmatched by anyone anywhere. And he'd be really fun to watch at Genesis too. I just don't think he'd do very well.
Is necessary to clarify, that all those Dark vids are "FRIENDSHIPS" matches, I'm Chilean and he hasn't been present in any serious tournament here, cause he lives very far of the main cities.

His actual performance in a tornament is unknown, and most probably is that Dark won't be so technical, or moderately tecnical in tournaments... PLUS this vids were upload quite some time ago, and he improved a lot since that time.

I will donate without any problem, if Dark says that he wants to be in G2.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Is necessary to clarify, that all those Dark vids are "FRIENDSHIPS" matches, I'm Chilean and he hasn't been present in any serious tournament here, cause he lives very far of the main cities.
I've watched a lot of DARK's vids. Alot of them were tourney matches, atleast the video said they were. Yes he was more to the point in tourney matches but he still plays really inefficient. Nothing wrong with that, if he plays to do flashy technical things and thats the only way he enjoys playing props to him. Play to have fun, thats my motto.

HellBlaZer

Smash Apprentice
NOT HARD!!?!?! WTF! i think that if people even try, its still very very hard, i don't think you understand how hard it was for him getting as technical as he is now. He only plays with me, i would say that 95% of his matches are against me, we are really close friends, so we don't play with the mentality "win is the most important thing". I neither think that he is a top lvl player in the world, i hope that he places well if he ever goes to genesis2, and he doesn't "hope" that his combos hit, he knows when he can combo and when he can't.

Serphirs

Smash Rookie
I've watched a lot of DARK's vids. Alot of them were tourney matches, atleast the video said they were. Yes he was more to the point in tourney matches but he still plays really inefficient. Nothing wrong with that, if he plays to do flashy technical things and thats the only way he enjoys playing props to him. Play to have fun, thats my motto.
You already said it... "Play to have fun". Dark plays for fun, he doesn't need to prove nothing to anybody, cause he just fight for his own entertaiment, and that's the point.
If he loses or win something, yeah great... but this don't change this concept.
Sometimes win is not everything.

Dark plz go to G2, you have all my suport. ;)

pd: And the vids, I insist there is no tournament one.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Dark going to Genesis 2 would be more of a technical show off type of thing, and I'm pretty sure Silent Wolf and Lovage would adopt him.

But I still think he could do well in brackets. Sure he's not a top player, but if he's able to stay consistent enough throughout the tournament, every hit should go into an amazing technical combo. If given a perfect bracket and perfect consistency, I bet he could hit top 17, but I think the lower end of the bracket is more realistic.

Still, I'm sure there's people dying to meet more Chilean players. :D

Sim

Smash Apprentice
> previously thought to be impossible? i mean maybe in 06 or farther back? what exactly is he doing that is thought to be impossible? waveshine combos?

I do not mean to burst your bubble or something, but what he's doing is a skyscraper ahead of waveshine combos.

Just sayin'

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
If he does get a Good Player Fund, we should record his sets in pools since there is only a small chance that he'll make it to brackets because I talked to some of his friends and honestly Dark knows and accepts the fact that Weon-X is slightly better than him and the fact that he knows that his tech skill alone won't get him to brackets. Dark does hope to be able to correctly utilize his tech skill in tournament and he hopes to gain tournament experience to by going to a USA tournament.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
If he does get a Good Player Fund, we should record his sets in pools since there is only a small chance that he'll make it to brackets because I talked to some of his friends and honestly Dark knows and accepts the fact that Weon-X is slightly better than him and the fact that he knows that his tech skill alone won't get him to brackets. Dark does hope to be able to correctly utilize his tech skill in tournament and he hopes to gain tournament experience to by going to a USA tournament.
Well yeah.

But who cares about his pools matches.

I just want to see his hands.

Someone record his hands.

Sim

Smash Apprentice
:3 `
i was just saying he's not specifically doing anything that people weren't already aware of.
They were aware of it because it had been done in TAS videos.

Silentwolf got pretty close to that, but if you can't see the difference in speed between Revolution and Perfect Dark, you really missed something.

In short, yes people were aware that it was possible, but no one actually did it until him.

They were aware of it because it had been done in TAS videos.

Silentwolf got pretty close to that, but if you can't see the difference in speed between Revolution and Perfect Dark, you really missed something.

In short, yes people were aware that it was possible, but no one actually did it until him.
you have to realize me and lovage are doing a routine based video, and most of his tech displays were freestyles. we werent trying to be as fast as possible, just performing each part of each routine cleanly. me and lovage can play that fast, we just choose not to because its unnecessary.

i hate how people judge a persons tech skill only off their videos. if thats the case, just wait for me and lovages new video. in revolution we settled for shorter, easier clips cuz we introduced new stuff and only had to beat our ****ty other videos lol. our next one were goin all out for the first time.

to some this is revolutionary, but none of this stuff is new. you guys only know what goes on in vids. just thought id throw that out there lol

PB&J

Smash Hero
hellblazer knows whats up

random idea..since people are paying for his ticket and all for genesis 2..

i think he should arive like in cali 3 days earlier than the tourny and stay one or 2 days after.

it will prob be his first time in america(north) and it will give him time to sight see. he speaks spanish and im sure 50 percent of not even more of smashers in america speak spanish . So talking to him wont be fine.

side note: Silent Wolf is right about the tech skill thing,people only judge off vids.

ps. hellblazer-What messenger do u have again because i have all of them on my phone now..

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
you have to realize me and lovage are doing a routine based video, and most of his tech displays were freestyles. we werent trying to be as fast as possible, just performing each part of each routine cleanly. me and lovage can play that fast, we just choose not to because its unnecessary.

i hate how people judge a persons tech skill only off their videos. if thats the case, just wait for me and lovages new video. in revolution we settled for shorter, easier clips cuz we introduced new stuff and only had to beat our ****ty other videos lol. our next one were goin all out for the first time.

to some this is revolutionary, but none of this stuff is new. you guys only know what goes on in vids. just thought id throw that out there lol
lol this. was waiting for one of them to post something, i knew they couldn't hold back from all this 'NEW UNDEFINED LEGENDARY WHATTHE****ISDARKDOING' posts.

musashi

Smash Apprentice

worst johns ever??

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by victra♥
more like silenced wolf

^
LoL, ****.

Seriously though; best Fox vid since Shined Blined?

If not....

EVER???

>_>

Dobs1007

Smash Ace

Chill Otto everyone knows your a beast looks forward to ur new video :) SW and Loveage masters of tech skill

Props to this video though for being sweet as well

Sim

Smash Apprentice

You might hate how I judge stuff or not, that depends entirely on you, but what I said was perfectly understandable given the information that I had.

Most notably, what you said 10 pages ago:

You are a ****ing moster. Congratulations on having topped both me and lovage, you're just too fast. I'm glad youy made this tho, now me and lovage actually have some incentive to make new vids using all we can this time. Also glad to see my invisible shine guide put to good use haha :D
To Top
v.tr.
1. To go over the top of.
2. To exceed or surpass.
3. To be at the head of:
(the other possible definitions are not related to the subject at hand)

You said it yourself. If that's not what you were thinking, then fine, but how could I know what was in your head? :D

I'm eagerly waiting for your next tech skill video. It would be incredibly awesome if it surpassed Dark's.

BTW I said that because I couldn't resist arguing with someone who said this video wasn't nice.

i wasnt really blaming you specifically, like i said, i just hate how people judge only off of videos. i know thats all you had to judge from, just thought id say that tho. thought it would add more hype too haha. thanks, we'll try not to disappoint.

AXE 09

Smash Master
don't get me wrong, i absolutely love his techskill, and admire his dedication. i'm just throwing out there that playing like this is nothing beyond hard, it's just a matter of changing your perception from playing to win, to playing to be as fast/flashy as possible to the point where it's your normal style.
I know I'm kinda late, but I just wanna say that I disagree. Techskill is almost the only reason why I got into Melee, and I've been trying extremely hard throughout my entire smash career to get anywhere close to as technical as this. I'm pretty much always trying to be as technical as possible, and I almost never play to win. The only time I do is during tournaments (or when somebody makes me mad and I just wanna try to **** them or something lol).

No matter how hard I try, I don't think I could ever become as technical as Dark. I have never seen such an insane display of techskill, and if you say that this is nothing beyond hard then I think you're crazy lol. I would quit Falco in a heartbeat and probably Pikachu too if I could have a Fox like Dark's.

I could care less how he does in tournament. Techskill will always impress me 10x more than tournament placings will. That's why I really love and appreciate players like SW and Lovage.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I love SW and lovage but I don't think they can surpass this video.

Also, I'd like to see "Freestyle" techskill. That's how SW put it.

Mizar

Smash Ace
I love SW and lovage but I don't think they can surpass this video.

Also, I'd like to see "Freestyle" techskill. That's how SW put it.
I dunno man freestyling seems alot easier than setting out a track and then doing exactly what you wanted.

Top Bottom