• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"People play Brawl like its a low tier character"

Status
Not open for further replies.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If anyone wants to have a serious discussion about the merits of Brawl as a competitive fighter feel free to PM me or IM me.
These kinds of circle jerk threads are getting old though. especially considering most of the people who hate on Brawl (including the OP) don't even play it regularly or are aware of the metagame.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
If anyone wants to have a seriousdiscussion about the merits of Brawl as a competitive fighter feel free to PM me or IM me.
These kinds of circle jerk threads are getting old though. especially considering most of the people who hate on Brawl (including the OP) don't even play it regularly or are aware of the metagame.
Why did I have to be autistic :ohwell:

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
i see people discussing several games here, ill just go with my response to all fighting games when being discussed.

MELEE OWNS!!!!!!!!!!

And I really hate to see people trying to put melee and brawl in the same catagory as 2d fighters. Thats like comparing apples to alex blairs pants. Sure both may be mouth watering to think about, but they are NOTHING alike.

Master Raven

Smash Master
melee is awesome, but brawl is fun.

Oh snap.
I second this. :)

Roy ftw.

I beg to differ regarding Brawl being balanced though... in Melee you had these techs like wavedashing, dash dancing, L canceling, and etc. that could really help aid you in battle, and combos to use to your advantage to take on most of the cast, even if the matchup was very difficult, and grabbing the ledge WASN'T RIDICULOUSLY EASY. In Brawl, you still have techs, but they are less prominent and combos (at least in the Melee sense) are near non-existent, and you must utilize more of your character's raw power to win, and because of this, I suppose in a sense, some matchups are just really ****ing ******** because of some dumb crap (Ex: DDD vs DK: DDD just infinites DK up to 150% and goes for the kill.), and some of the attack properties are just plain ludicrous (Snake's ftilt and utilt, MK's tornado, GaW's disjointed hitboxes from hell, etc.). It's also harder to get punished out of shield thanks to the shield being ridiculously godly in this game.

I really like Brawl, but at the same time you can't ignore the fact that it's filled with incredibly gay strategies.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'd like to argue here that both games are filled with "incredibly gay strategies" It's just we've build up a sort of immunity to the ones in melee or we've just grow to accept them.

I'll throw out random examples but...
marth and his tipper can kill at crazy low percents in comparison to the rest of the cast.
Sheik a needles lead to an instant grab on most character which we all know lead to chains of a lot of the cast
Fox's shine & upsmash
Falco's spike & his shine
peach's down smash.

Yeah they are all avoidable, but so are all the brawl gay starts

Seems to me melee is more catered to the attacker and lets them easily capitalize on mistakes, brawl as a whole seems to give the defender more opportunities. And there isn't anything wrong with either approach really.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
i see people discussing several games here, ill just go with my response to all fighting games when being discussed.

MELEE OWNS!!!!!!!!!!

And I really hate to see people trying to put melee and brawl in the same catagory as 2d fighters. Thats like comparing apples to alex blairs pants. Sure both may be mouth watering to think about, but they are NOTHING alike.
Oh. My. God.
Thread over.

Smash your MoM

Smash Ace
i find this sh.it funny...alot of people was like brawl is so much better than melee and melee sucks now...but now look a few months later the same people that said all that are back on melee's di.ck again...melee is jus a better game..

rice

Smash Journeyman
brawl is fun melee is awesome

i just hate it when people say that melee is dead

or when people disrespect a game someone likes

Zoro

Smash Champion
melee is dead

the reason

no one cares how fun the game is
it takes way too long to get good at or at least keep up

I was playing brawl with my cousin who has never touched the game before or melee and he was at the level of most tournament goers in a few hours. That is after i showed him some junk.

More people = more money
the easier it is to win money playing a game, the more people want to play that game.

A normal brawl tournament has a first place prize or $200-$600. Why waste gas money and tournament fees on a game that will take you a year to get good at or more.

Melee is deadish :(

Keta

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.. Haven't been here in a loong time. Is Brawl dead yet? Melee's resurrection is nearing? Perhaps both will fade into the past..

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Doesn't take away from the fact that this thread is still bad.
WE'VE NEVER HAD A MELEE VS. BRAWL DISCUSSION WHAT A NEW AND GOOD IDEA.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
No offense ginger. But this thread (I don't believe) was an attempt at another Melee vs Brawl thread, thats what people posting in it let it evolve to. Originally this was a pretty one sided conversation between me and Laijin. Or more accurately me *****ing about the overall smash community and ironically there need to ***** and john about everything.

My philosophy has always been if you know what you are getting in to don't complain about walking in to the situation. That quote there was specifically what I felt at the moment melee scrubs seem to be the only people that will play brawl while they complain about it. Maybe Laijin agreed with me on that and thats why he made the post, but by any stretch of the imagination I don't think the aim of this thread was another debate.

actionblackbird

Smash Journeyman
ummm...

tearsR4queers D:. *Wacks them with the wii mote..plust other assessories*

seriusly.

I good at brawl but I love melee...is sooo technical.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Just bring the ****ing game back. For Moses's sake! If you really want to bring melee back, we'll host tournaments for it and people will show up. Stop reminiscing about it and actually make the attempt to bring it back. "Melee is dead, we'll drop melee because everyone else is playing Brawl" but then people turn around and say this "Brawl is gay, I wish melee came back...that game was so much better and overall a more enjoyable game" Let's just host tournaments for both games. I'm hosting a melee one in Nov. It's seriously getting frustrating reading everyone's complaints when there's no one willing to do something about it. Either play Brawl or Melee or both. If you want people to pick up Melee again, then host tournaments. -_-

Laijin

Smash Hero
Just bring the ****ing game back. For Moses's sake! If you really want to bring melee back, we'll host tournaments for it and people will show up. Stop reminiscing about it and actually make the attempt to bring it back. "Melee is dead, we'll drop melee because everyone else is playing Brawl" but then people turn around and say this "Brawl is gay, I wish melee came back...that game was so much better and overall a more enjoyable game" Let's just host tournaments for both games. I'm hosting a melee one in Nov. It's seriously getting frustrating reading everyone's complaints when there's no one willing to do something about it. Either play Brawl or Melee or both. If you want people to pick up Melee again, then host tournaments. -_-
Perfect example: I love how at the brawl gigabits I went to people were complaining about Melee being dead and stuff like "Man. I wish Melee was still around. Its such a better game." blah blah blah.

Then gigabits hosts a melee tournament the same day as a brawl tournament in another location. What happens? None of the people who were saying stuff like that actually shows up to the melee tournament.
Quit complaining about it just for the sake of complaining about it.

And <3 is right. The intention of this thread was not another debate. lol.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I went to melee gigs :)

and btw

we have been doing something spider
we are hosting tournaments and only 10 people show up.

Linguini

Smash Master
stfu you wouldnt go to any tournies anyways nub.

chckn

Smash Ace
Dont know if this is relevant at all nor if any of you care, but I talked to the owner of pnt today and after about 2 hours of melee friendlies he said that he was down for melee as well as brawl next tourney if there is enough interest. Would any of you guys from nfl/cfl come down? This **** oculd be big. Its up to you all though.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Dude I'd love for PnT to host Melee/Brawl tournies.

I'll be known as the best Roy in SFL! :)

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
LOLOLOLLOLOL @ Sly and MarsFool.

Also, I lost faith in the Florida Melee communtiy showing up for turnies like 2 years ago.

Why is everyone acting like Melee is dead because of Brawl?

People stopped showing up for Melee tournies back in 06(save for large scale tournies).

Fighting game scenes die indefinitely.

Melee had a good run.

Melee is/has been/and will always be: dead.

Edit:Not saying people won't play it, but there will most likely never be another 30+ Melee tourney.

chckn

Smash Ace
No lie I john more than just about anyone about lcds. But you know we played for like 2 hours and not one of us complained.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
LOLOLOLLOLOL @ Sly and MarsFool.

Also, I lost faith in the Florida Melee communtiy showing up for turnies like 2 years ago.

Why is everyone acting like Melee is dead because of Brawl?

People stopped showing up for Melee tournies back in 06(save for large scale tournies).

Fighting game scenes die indefinitely.

Melee had a good run.

Melee is/has been/and will always be: dead.

Edit:Not saying people won't play it, but there will most likely never be another 30+ Melee tourney.
WTF are you talking about?

-Kimo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom