• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Philosophy

hemlock

Smash Cadet
Just read a great thread about Mewtwo philosophy [http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279010], and wanted to see what people here had to say about Peach.

Why Peach? How do you approach her? What type of personality is best for her? Tactical strengths and weaknesses? What is your mindset for any given battle?

Looking forward to some in depth discussion!

Van.

Smash Ace
Almost everyone in the group of people I ususally play with plays marth or fox, excepting one puff, one link, and one doc, so I wanted to be unique and play a character that was especially hard to play without being devoted to her. So I mained Peach.

hemlock

Smash Cadet
I'm wondering what people like about her?

I like the idea of subverting and playing off the whole impression of the weak and defenseless female, who is most widely known for being the damsel in distress in most all of the mario games. The fact that she is wearing a big pink gown and has a crown on reinforces that in a sense.

Then, I think the whole concept is to take that impression and unexpectedly play off of it. The float allows you to control a lot of the pace, in the sense that it adds a new unpredictable element, as your opponents don't have to deal with that type of timing with others.

You have popular characters like Fox, Falco and Marth, with their guns and sword, and Captain Falcon with his machismo aggression, and then Peach uses turnips and her parasol, and then says "...Did I win?"

I find that all pretty brilliant! She's no slouch! Don't forget her f-air has her removing her crown and smacking you with it! :)

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Peach.....Low risk, high reward. She's so easy as far as pressing buttons goes, and for those who aren't particularly great at pressing buttons, she's perfect.

Everything hemlock said is crazy.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
My Philosophy on peach is time them out and make them want to main someone esle. I swear i'll make you puke. I'll time out with an inf. sing on the edge when you try to recover.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
everyone here plays peach because they're really gay
;)

but really, peach is near the top, but not the top. Why would a person player her? Surely not to win? If you wanted to do that, pick fox, falco, sheik, orjiggs. There must be some reason people play her. I personally main her from pride, and play her in all games she is in (melee, brawl, mario tennis, mario party, etc)

MacD

Banned via Administration
everyone here plays peach because they're really gay
win

but really, peach is near the top, but not the top. Why would a person player her? Surely not to win? If you wanted to do that, pick fox, falco, sheik, orjiggs. There must be some reason people play her. I personally main her from pride, and play her in all games she is in (melee, brawl, mario tennis, mario party, etc)
why would someone pick pika? surely not to... oh wait

please take that BS somewhere else

people can win with any top or high tier, and as it goes down it gets harder but still possible

hugs plays samus and thinks he can win, and does it

axe pika

shroomed doc

etc

_Keno_

Smash Lord
please take that BS somewhere else
If a person came into this game soley to win, characters like peach, doc, ganon, falcon, etc should not even be thought of as choices when characters like fox, falco, shiek, marth, and jiggs exist. There must be another reason the person plays the character. Winning has to be secondary to something else, namely pride, enjoyment, or whatever other motivation. Its hardly bs. In terms of winning, there is absolutely no reason to play peach when you could play fox or falco.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
My pichu has a better chance at winning serioulsy. I know this for a fact I rememeber when I play just as much pichu as marth, ice climbers, or falco. everytime I started playing more as the better charcter my pichu would still do worlds better. M2k unknowingly made me understand that after getting massively ***** by him and my pichu stood more of a chance against his sheik than anything esle seemed to.

people play different

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I think I eventually stuck with Peach because I could always recover from crap, especially back when I used to play with my neighbors

Longer I live = more chances to win

Plus they were conservative and home-schooled so the thought of losing to a girl character pissed them off tremendously...I was always sent home after a few matches

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
People play Peach because they like her and she's got a unique style

Also homosexuality

She's not bad enough that she can't win

The line of "can't win" in smash is getting really gray and stupid nowadays anyway so it's best not to worry about it

Said line is also a lil' region dependent, I think

VA

Smash Hero
I think there is something to be said for Peach philosophy.

For example I've never wanted to main her but had to because the rest of my characters are awful.

Why is this? I think it has something to do with her hitboxes and the way they interact with her float mechanic. It suited the useless zone/wall style that I used to have.

Anyway it's really hard to analyse it fully (because I'm dumb). But I have thought about WHY people do better with certain characters. I've known some really sucky marth players that switch to Sheik and get about 10 times better from doing so. I think it is interesting to at least try to analyse why this happens.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I totally wish I could feel that way when playing her >_> there's too much to think about. I feel like I can sit back and relax when I'm playing Sheik though.

Ambix

Smash Ace
Originally I picked up peach back in 07 because I didn't have the tech skill to play fox and I wanted alternatives.

Over the years as I got to know the character better I realized that not only do I have a redonkulous ammount of fun with her playstyle, she also helped the smashers in my area get better at a faster pace.

When it comes to teaching people both new and old alike, there's really only so much you can walk them through verbally. The best way to get better has traditionally been to learn from your losses.
Peach represents a huge obstacle to a lot of players (especially the new ones).

There have been several new players in my area over the past year and since they joined i've noticed that the peach hate has been ramped up quite a bit when compared to '08 or '07. When they play me they need to learn to be patient and avoid risky situations or they get downsmashed and gimped on the edge. Peach is an obscenely frustrating matchup when you're new or if your ability to tech downsmashes on the ledge is bad. Things like that help you improve at the game overall, like teching the ledge downsmashes also help you learn how to tech falco Dairs over the ledge.

My peach and my overall skill are pretty average at best but by playing this character I can help my friends and crewmates gain new perspectives on their mains and the game itself which gives me the warm fuzzies. Especially when I see my friends do better against peaches at tournaments. Knowledge without practical application seems like a waste.

I can do those things with peach and I can have fun while I do. I can't do those things with other characters.

My mentality has always been that of one who serves. I think peach exemplifies this mentality.

1) You don't see as many peaches as you do other top and high tier mains but it's still a crucial matchup to know so someone has to play her.

2) She's extremely good in teams.

3) Peach mains don't often have good secondaries (I sure as fuck don't).

In a way peach is a lot like healing or tanking in MMORPGs. I mained a holy priest in WoW from 2004 up untill the end of burning crusade. it's a crucial role that places emphasis on enabling others to do their best and it's playstyle is vastly different when compared to other more "normal" playstyles. The only downside to this seems to be that it engenders elitism in people. Go figure.

I can't speak for other peachs but i've always felt more comfortable being a reliable partner and an honest punching bag that occasionally Dsmashes then someone who goes out kicking asses and taking names in tournaments......but that's probably why i'm such an average player.

I think the peach philosophy is about helping your fellow smashers rather than yourself.

Just my long-winded and probably poorly written 2 cents.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Peach mains may not have good secondaries, but she sure makes a great secondary!

"God I just got chain grabbed as Fox and my fingers are starting to hurt from all that tech skill"

= TIME TO GO PEACH!

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Peach is there just for the spacey mains to feel good about themselves for maining a "real" character because she's cheap and easy and requires no skill. This argument also applies to Ice Climbers and Jigglypuff.

But peach seriously destroys people at lower levels while she struggles hardcore at upper levels. She has an exponential learning curve.

Zynx

Smash Rookie
I first got into smash from Shined Blind and became infatuated with Fox. Then I discovered the godliness of floaties and switched to Jigglypuff. Now I'm sticking with Peach. Part of the choice is that there is a dearth of good Peaches near the top (barring Armada), and it seems that she can place a lot better.

And hi KirbyKaze, I'm the "new guy" from that Smashfest last month (if you remember).

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
KirbyKaze your avatar is amazing. Yzma for SSB4!

and yeah, im contemplating switching from peach as my secondary to jiggs. thoughts?

Griffard

Smash Ace
i think it's hard to categorize peach's difficulty to play. like, she's easy enough if you're only playing noobs, but if you play good people who play top/high tiers, you need to bust your ***.

LookingforAlaska

Smash Rookie
I started maining Peach because I wanted to progress to my friends level of play. They used characters that involved a lot of tech skill, while my tech skill was somewhat lacking.

One day, I was browsing on Smashwiki, and discovered the article on float cancelling. I decided to give the technique a try, and I mastered it in about 30 seconds.

Happy that I knew of a character that didn't require a lot of L-cancelling, I practiced and practiced until I was finally good enough to challenge my friends.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately it makes it hard to go to other characters if you just wanna switch it up for kicks n giggles. But if it's friendlies who cares about losing anyway?

Still, it's nice to main Fox considering I can cross over to Falco relatively easily. Granted I mess up a lot cuz of the subtle differences (which wouldn't happen with any other characters used by a Peach main I don't think), it makes it easy to understand Falco's playstyle when his and Fox's are as similar as they are.

Try going from Peach to like, Falcon... might be tougher than Fox to Falcon.

shounenkel

Smash Journeyman
I Play peach cuz A, I'm Bi...B. shes really fun to play and C. When i saw her DSmash at first i thought woow that must be really hard to put off, i play around with her an ****, Boom DS was hella easy to do and it ***** *****es as well End!! :) when i play i always play to win duh?

<3PEACH

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Lol I don't feel weird saying that she's my secondary cuz' I'm gay now lol. It's true. No wonder she's my second. I'm not gay ENOUGH for her to be my main though, lol. With Fox and Peach as my two best, I'm pretty much good in all matchups except MAYBE Marth.

Ambix

Smash Ace
Lol I don't feel weird saying that she's my secondary cuz' I'm gay now lol. It's true. No wonder she's my second. I'm not gay ENOUGH for her to be my main though, lol. With Fox and Peach as my two best, I'm pretty much good in all matchups except MAYBE Marth.
The marth peach matchup isn't as difficult as it used to be. good spacing and turnip camping will frustrate even the most patient of marths. I can keep a marth at bay with nothing but turnips, dash attacks, and Nairs while you're both spacing each other look for openings. Once the marth jumps he's committed.

Careful sheiks on the other hand don't seem to give me as many openings as they used to. It's getting harder to get in their zone. Baiting them is difficult too since a giant chunk of her moveset is relatively lag free.

Tea House Legend

Smash Rookie
hmm well,recently i went to a tournament,i was a falco main at the time,i was keeping up with the best in the state but i would always lose,i was kinda getting bored of falco and he wasnt really exciting to me anymore, i started wondering that falco was not my character, so i wondered who could i main that i would have tons of fun with, i like as a character and fit my style, i tried peach and since then my look on the game has been different, i've been improving alot faster than i was even with my secondary(fox), and all and all iam having fun learning her

Top Bottom